Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/6/14 - 10/12/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 63

Thread: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

  1. #16
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    Quote Originally Posted by Azuma View Post
    This is ridiculous. The concept of time is relative. In normal terms, Isshin wouldn't be much older than 20 years, just like Hitsugaya isn't much older than Karin. In Hitsugaya's flashback, 5 years passed but he still looked the same, i.e. a small child. You can't simply count (and compare) the number of years they've been alive and scream out paedophile. We don't even know how long a year in SS is.

    Also, I don't see the point, or releveance, of having an Isshin vs Uryuu competition? As far as we know, they have never even spoken to each other.
    How is Hitsugaya not much older than Karin? As you mentioned, 5 years pass and Hitsugaya doesn't look older than before. Soi Fon doesn't look much different after 100 years in Soul Society. Unohana doesn't look like she aged at all even though she was first there when the 13th divisions were first formed. There is nothing that guarantees that Isshin is not much older than 20 years.

    However, based on the history of all the past captains, it is safe to assume that decades of service are usually a common factor for shinigami who become strong enough to gain the position. In addition, Kuchiki once mentioned that at least 10 years of training is required to master the Bankai.

    Moreover, Isshin was the head of the Shiba family. I think it's another safe thing to assume that only individuals with significant age and standing are given the position.
    Judging by Soi Fon's previous statements about the responsibilities carried by the heads of royal families, I doubt that a 20-something would be given the position.


    Aside from all this, even if Isshin is a 25-year-old, we are given the premise of an adult gaining interest in a high school girl, who we know eventually marries the mentioned shinigami in the future to give birth to Ichigo. Thus, I started a humor thread comparing this manga with one of the most despised romance franchise today.

    As for Team Ishida vs. Team Isshin? We do know that they eventually meet each other, and that Ishida was technically engaged to Masaki even though she ends up with Isshin.

  2. #17
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sky Render's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    Spain
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    Quote Originally Posted by Franckie View Post
    I don't think Twilight is an accurate description of the plot. The thing is that with Bleach, there was no plot to speak of until Aizen's defeat. How a series could acquire 400+ chapters with no defining plot is beyond me.
    Bleach has a plot, therefore it's nothing like Twilight XD

    But no, really. Of course it has a plot. There's a good guy and some bad guys with evul plans and the good guy has to stop it just like in every shonen, and there are things happening and whatnot. You could argue that the plot is sloppy, but of course there is plot.

    ---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan4 View Post
    Do you remember during Kill-Hogyo-Aizen arc where Kubo wasted an entire chapter with Don Kanoji that served no purpose whatsoever? He did not change this arc, with him introducing people like Ryuunosuke and Shino, the two Shinigami that we were introduced to at the beginning of this arc, and Ikumi, Ichigo's employer, and dump them on the sidewalk after accomplishing nothing with them.
    I do remember this is pretty much what happens in every single shonen in existence. One Piece introduces thousands of characters, 90% of them without any depth at all (not that it's necessary for them to have any, God forbid) and 90% of them serving little purpose other than to make a joke or give a good fight. That's cool, that's part of the genre we all love.

    Yet for some reason Kubo can't do what others do all the frickin time.

    But lemme explain: Yuki and whatserface served the purpose of acting as the Dr. Watson of the arc, to ignore everything that is going on so we knew what Quincies were (after ten years, tehre was good need to remind people about the Quincy conflict), and so the main character could appear in a new light to save their asses and thus stablishing him as the main character of the story. As for Unagiya, whe was used to drive home the point that Ichigo should rely on other more, while her son was there so that readers didn't think she was perving on Ichigo when she boob-hugged him.

    You might as well argue what use there is in characters like Keigo or Mizuiro. Then again, these appeared when Bleach was not hip and popular, and therefore they're cool. It was before the days when Kubo drew just for money, right? And so on.
    Last edited by Sky Render; April 15, 2013 at 07:46 AM.

  3. #18
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    Sweden
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan4 View Post
    How is Hitsugaya not much older than Karin? As you mentioned, 5 years pass and Hitsugaya doesn't look older than before. Soi Fon doesn't look much different after 100 years in Soul Society. Unohana doesn't look like she aged at all even though she was first there when the 13th divisions were first formed. There is nothing that guarantees that Isshin is not much older than 20 years.

    However, based on the history of all the past captains, it is safe to assume that decades of service are usually a common factor for shinigami who become strong enough to gain the position. In addition, Kuchiki once mentioned that at least 10 years of training is required to master the Bankai.

    Moreover, Isshin was the head of the Shiba family. I think it's another safe thing to assume that only individuals with significant age and standing are given the position.
    Judging by Soi Fon's previous statements about the responsibilities carried by the heads of royal families, I doubt that a 20-something would be given the position.


    Aside from all this, even if Isshin is a 25-year-old, we are given the premise of an adult gaining interest in a high school girl, who we know eventually marries the mentioned shinigami in the future to give birth to Ichigo. Thus, I started a humor thread comparing this manga with one of the most despised romance franchise today.

    As for Team Ishida vs. Team Isshin? We do know that they eventually meet each other, and that Ishida was technically engaged to Masaki even though she ends up with Isshin.
    What I'm saying is that you can't simply count the number of years and compare two different species living in two different dimensions just like that. There's a reason that Kubo (and most people who deal with this) hasn't gone into depth with this subject because it gets way too complicated. The length of a year is not an absolute quantity. In simple terms, a year is the amount of time it takes for the Earth to orbit around the sun. Now, why would 'Gods' define the length of a Soul Society year as the same length as a 'human' year? What exactly is a year in Soul Society anyway?

    For all we know, a year in Soul Society could be 3 months in the human world. Although that is extremely unlikely, I'm just using it as an example to illustrate my point.

    Age is a relative thing. For that reason, when discussing how old they are relative to each other, it would be best to compare a human and a Shinigami based on how large of a fraction of their life that they have lived. So, if we were to say that Masaki is currently 18 years and that her lifespan is 100 years, that is, relatively speaking, the same as if Isshin would be 1800 years, with a lifespan of 10 000 years. This seems strange at first, but really, it's the only thing that makes sense. It is not like a Shinigami is an adult at age 18. Hell, Hitsugaya hardly aged 2 years between the flashback and the present.

    As for Isshin being interested in Masaki, it isn't that strange. As of now, there has been no indication of this interest being sexual. It seems more like he's interested in her because of her Quincy background, just as she's interested in him because of him being a Shinigami. (PS: 15+ is legal in Sweden).

    As for the bolded part of the quote, you previously wrote Isshin vs Uryuu, which would be Ichigo's friend. In retrospect, you must have meant Ryuken. I was slow in picking this up because I've never seen Twilight I guess and didn't make the connection.

  4. #19
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    Quote Originally Posted by Azuma View Post
    What I'm saying is that you can't simply count the number of years and compare two different species living in two different dimensions just like that. There's a reason that Kubo (and most people who deal with this) hasn't gone into depth with this subject because it gets way too complicated. The length of a year is not an absolute quantity. In simple terms, a year is the amount of time it takes for the Earth to orbit around the sun. Now, why would 'Gods' define the length of a Soul Society year as the same length as a 'human' year? What exactly is a year in Soul Society anyway?

    For all we know, a year in Soul Society could be 3 months in the human world. Although that is extremely unlikely, I'm just using it as an example to illustrate my point.

    Age is a relative thing. For that reason, when discussing how old they are relative to each other, it would be best to compare a human and a Shinigami based on how large of a fraction of their life that they have lived. So, if we were to say that Masaki is currently 18 years and that her lifespan is 100 years, that is, relatively speaking, the same as if Isshin would be 1800 years, with a lifespan of 10 000 years. This seems strange at first, but really, it's the only thing that makes sense. It is not like a Shinigami is an adult at age 18. Hell, Hitsugaya hardly aged 2 years between the flashback and the present.

    As for Isshin being interested in Masaki, it isn't that strange. As of now, there has been no indication of this interest being sexual. It seems more like he's interested in her because of her Quincy background, just as she's interested in him because of him being a Shinigami. (PS: 15+ is legal in Sweden).

    As for the bolded part of the quote, you previously wrote Isshin vs Uryuu, which would be Ichigo's friend. In retrospect, you must have meant Ryuken. I was slow in picking this up because I've never seen Twilight I guess and didn't make the connection.
    1) "Now, why would 'Gods' define the length of a Soul Society year as the same length as a 'human' year? What exactly is a year in Soul Society anyway? "

    There has been no mention of a rule, whatsoever, that dictates that a year in Soul Society is measured differently than a year in the real world.

    2) "compare two different species living in two different dimensions just like that"

    Quincy is a human, a species that becomes a spirit with the potential to become shinigami. They are not two different species. The term species, itself, is inappropriately used here.

    3) "it would be best to compare a human and a Shinigami based on how large of a fraction of their life that they have lived."

    This is an arbitrary rule that you have pulled out of absolutely nowhere.

    4) "There's a reason that Kubo (and most people who deal with this) hasn't gone into depth with this subject because it gets way too complicated."

    Ockham's razor. The reason that Kubo has never discussed the relative time between the two dimensions is because there is no difference. We are never given any reason to believe otherwise.

    5) Point 3 and Point 1 would not be compatible, as your "measure of a year" must be drastically different if your claims are true.

    6) Even if your claims turn out to be true, we still got a supernatural male character who has most likely lived decades and centuries and look older than he looks (The vampire/Shinigami). We are given a teenage, high school girl who peaks his interest for nonsexual reasons (blood for the vampire, the quincy lineage for the shinigami). Their relationships become sexual despite the ick-factor associated with the age difference, giving birth to a child whose gifts are an amalgamation of the abilities the two parents possess.
    That is it. I am pretty sure there are other literary works that bear more similarities with this arc, but I believed that comparing it with twilight would get more responses. And I was not wrong.

    ---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
    Bleach has a plot, therefore it's nothing like Twilight XD

    But no, really. Of course it has a plot. There's a good guy and some bad guys with evul plans and the good guy has to stop it just like in every shonen, and there are things happening and whatnot. You could argue that the plot is sloppy, but of course there is plot.

    ---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------



    I do remember this is pretty much what happens in every single shonen in existence. One Piece introduces thousands of characters, 90% of them without any depth at all (not that it's necessary for them to have any, God forbid) and 90% of them serving little purpose other than to make a joke or give a good fight. That's cool, that's part of the genre we all love.

    Yet for some reason Kubo can't do what others do all the frickin time.

    But lemme explain: Yuki and whatserface served the purpose of acting as the Dr. Watson of the arc, to ignore everything that is going on so we knew what Quincies were (after ten years, tehre was good need to remind people about the Quincy conflict), and so the main character could appear in a new light to save their asses and thus stablishing him as the main character of the story. As for Unagiya, whe was used to drive home the point that Ichigo should rely on other more, while her son was there so that readers didn't think she was perving on Ichigo when she boob-hugged him.

    You might as well argue what use there is in characters like Keigo or Mizuiro. Then again, these appeared when Bleach was not hip and popular, and therefore they're cool. It was before the days when Kubo drew just for money, right? And so on.
    1) Twilight's plot was basically about good guys stopping bad guys. If that's all Bleach has to offer, it hasn't really placed itself in a good position.

    2) Unagiya's introduction just served as a backtrack of Ichigo's growth, regardless. We already had Ichigo learning to rely on others more when they entered Hueco Mundo to save Orihime (remember his talk with Chad and the others).

    3) I consider characters insignificant/pointless if they serve one or two roles and then are never mentioned again. Could their actions have been undertaken by other characters we already know? Was there a big difference that was made by their presence? The re-introduction of the Quincy could have been done by anyone else we knew from Soul Society, or from the Ishida family. Kubo had little justification to waste the precious pages to characterize the newly introduced Yuki and Shino just for the purpose of reminding us about the Quincy, when it was clear that he had little care for them, himself (the minimal detail placed into their physical traits and the dialogue that can mostly be boiled down to comic relief. They are the Jar-Jar Binks of the Bleach universe).

    Not to mention entire battles/fights we could have done away with like those between the VCs and the Fracciones; they could have never been drawn out and we still would have gotten to the same ending.

    My point?: Kubo has pacing issues and a lot of his directorial decisions have little justification.

  5. #20
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    ^None of that would actually be relevant to the discussion. Regardless of how a year is defined the current situation is that ishin would by whatever standard be at least decades(ours) if not older than masaki. Even ishin's "biological" age would be irrelevant to the argument in many regards too, the entirely lifespan he has been around would still be much greater than masaki's own. If time goes in one place at a different rate then the situation is still bad considering everything. I mean, if time goes 3 times faster in SS than in then human world then you still have the scenario that in the 15 or so years masaki has been around ishin lived at least 45. I doubt time in the human world actually goes faster than in the shinigami world.... Not once has that even been hinted at and so far everything seems to indicate that times does move at the same rate between worlds (except unless dangai does something). We saw the calculations done by yoruichi regarding rukia's execution and the gang's arrival, they assume time travels at the same rate between worlds.

    Ultimately what would matter here is the entire amount of time each character has been alive(and not the subjective systems by which time is given meaning). Shinigami do age much slower but it still does not make sense to compare people between their biological age, hitsugaya is actually the best example for that. Could an 13 year old be a captain? Hitsugaya might look 13 (or whatever age he is supposed to look at) but he does not act as if he was 13. He acts like someone his age would act at least otherwise he wouldn't be a captain. Seriously, the only way hitsugaya could be captain of a division if he really acted his biological age would be that his divison specialized in video games, napping and masturbating... Hitsugaya might look 13 but he is 80 and has the mind of an 80 year old dude (one that makes sense in bleachverse anyways considering the extended lifespans shinigami enjoy). Its not like other captains are that better off anyways. Byakuya and gin were supposed to look like teenagers the age of ichigo at large and them dating masaki instead of ishin would not be any less weird at all.

  6. #21
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Firebird0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan4 View Post
    1) Even if your claims turn out to be true, we still got a supernatural male character who has most likely lived decades and centuries and look older than he looks (The vampire/Shinigami). We are given a teenage, high school girl who peaks his interest for nonsexual reasons (blood for the vampire, the quincy lineage for the shinigami). Their relationships become sexual despite the ick-factor associated with the age difference, giving birth to a child whose gifts are an amalgamation of the abilities the two
    You know, everyone's so focused on what a sleaze Isshin is for going after Masaki, overlooking the fact that she's supposed to be married off to Ryuuken anyway. Obviously, she's of age, so what's the 'ick factor?' Sorry to be blunt, but 'May and December' romances are so common, it hardly bears mention as long as both people are of age to consent and are within the realm of the laws. Chill, folks.

  7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  8. #22
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    Quote Originally Posted by Azuma View Post
    What I'm saying is that you can't simply count the number of years and compare two different species living in two different dimensions just like that. There's a reason that Kubo (and most people who deal with this) hasn't gone into depth with this subject because it gets way too complicated. The length of a year is not an absolute quantity. In simple terms, a year is the amount of time it takes for the Earth to orbit around the sun. Now, why would 'Gods' define the length of a Soul Society year as the same length as a 'human' year? What exactly is a year in Soul Society anyway?

    For all we know, a year in Soul Society could be 3 months in the human world. Although that is extremely unlikely, I'm just using it as an example to illustrate my point.

    Age is a relative thing. For that reason, when discussing how old they are relative to each other, it would be best to compare a human and a Shinigami based on how large of a fraction of their life that they have lived. So, if we were to say that Masaki is currently 18 years and that her lifespan is 100 years, that is, relatively speaking, the same as if Isshin would be 1800 years, with a lifespan of 10 000 years. This seems strange at first, but really, it's the only thing that makes sense. It is not like a Shinigami is an adult at age 18. Hell, Hitsugaya hardly aged 2 years between the flashback and the present.

    As for Isshin being interested in Masaki, it isn't that strange. As of now, there has been no indication of this interest being sexual. It seems more like he's interested in her because of her Quincy background, just as she's interested in him because of him being a Shinigami. (PS: 15+ is legal in Sweden).

    As for the bolded part of the quote, you previously wrote Isshin vs Uryuu, which would be Ichigo's friend. In retrospect, you must have meant Ryuken. I was slow in picking this up because I've never seen Twilight I guess and didn't make the connection.
    While I agree that it's not bad, and it's not disgusting that Isshin and Masaki make out (Because they both have youthful bodies appearing at same age.
    Also a grownup is the same in major personality as another grownup, no matter age differences). But I have to disagree on some aspects of your post and towards the end of my post agree with you.

    http://www.mangapanda.com/94-8-17/bleach/chapter-1.html
    Rukia has lived 10 times longer than Ichigo, she's estimated to be 150 years old.
    Yet, she appears as someone as same age as Ichigo, 15 years old, who has grown at a normal age.
    Then we got another example, old man Yama-Jii, who "appears" to be 80 years old, but he has been around for at least 2000 years.
    Here we got a big problem, lets do the math, and lets just assume Yama-Jii is 2000 years old for a moment, if he's older it would only reinforce my point.

    2000 / 80 = 25
    150 / 15 = 10

    So Yama-Jii has aged at least 25 times slower than any normal human, whereas Rukia has aged 10 times slower than a normal human.
    This has to either be because ageing slows down the older a shinigami gets, or it's because of the level of reatsu a shinigami has, there is likely no other explanation alternatives.

    Putting this into perspective, we can't figure out how old Isshin is until we have more data, it's simply impossible. We can guess however...

    About the time differences between Soul Society and the human world I agree it's unlikely, I think it would be pretty weird when we see people crossover from SS to the human world and vice versa back again, and never experience any time differences.
    Heck they can even communicate "live" between Soul Society and the human world.
    There are more examples, but I think this is enough to put the time difference between Soul Society and the human world debate at rest.
    Atleast I can't see any logical way of this being possible, and I too think it's highly unlikely.

  9. #23
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MBVC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Eternal Winter Palace
    Country
    Bouvet Island
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    Next, someone will point out that Bleach is similar to 50 Shady something (Sorry, can't remember the title). However, it's party true too because Urohara is a shady character after all.

    Even gods could not be absolutely certain whether they existed at the most fundamental level of reality or were themselves simulated.

  10. #24
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    Quote Originally Posted by MBVC View Post
    Next, someone will point out that Bleach is similar to 50 Shady something (Sorry, can't remember the title). However, it's party true too because Urohara is a shady character after all.
    Well, considering that she really really enjoyed stabbing and poking a boy with a long, phallic object over and over again...

    and she dies with the said boy's phallic object lodged in her throat.

    teeheee?

    ---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird0ne View Post
    You know, everyone's so focused on what a sleaze Isshin is for going after Masaki, overlooking the fact that she's supposed to be married off to Ryuuken anyway. Obviously, she's of age, so what's the 'ick factor?' Sorry to be blunt, but 'May and December' romances are so common, it hardly bears mention as long as both people are of age to consent and are within the realm of the laws. Chill, folks.
    It does not mean she's of age. It means that they were betrothed and were to marry once they become of age. They were both in school, judging by the gossip Masaki was having with her friends.

    Besides, aside from the "ick factor," one of the couples born from "May and December" romances that remind me the most about Isshin and Masaki's relationship is that between the vampire and that girl. That's all there is to it.

  11. #25
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member DraMas26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Country
    Albania
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    ^In Japan you can get married when you're 16 to a man of any age as far as I know so I don't see what the problem is.

  12. #26
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    Quote Originally Posted by DraMas26 View Post
    ^In Japan you can get married when you're 16 to a man of any age as far as I know so I don't see what the problem is.
    I just pointed out the similarities in the situation/premise between the two novels as the opening post of this thread.
    People are free to share whatever opinion they have towards the issue. Hence, some view it as acceptable. Others view it as somewhat morally reprehensible. As morals are fluid from culture to culture and from country to country, there is not one single appropriate response. However, I come from a country where the age of consent is 18 and from a place where the May and December romance is not as common. Thus, I responded to the situation with a bit of "ick."

  13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  14. #27
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Firebird0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan4 View Post
    I just pointed out the similarities in the situation/premise between the two novels as the opening post of this thread.
    People are free to share whatever opinion they have towards the issue. Hence, some view it as acceptable. Others view it as somewhat morally reprehensible. As morals are fluid from culture to culture and from country to country, there is not one single appropriate response. However, I come from a country where the age of consent is 18 and from a place where the May and December romance is not as common. Thus, I responded to the situation with a bit of "ick."
    Then, you are not from the USA, because parents can consent to their child marrying younger than 18. And as far as May-December romances not being common? You ever hear of Hugh Hefner? Demi Moore? Anna Nicole Smith? And those are just a few of the famous people. Also, there's the whole 'cougar' thing popularized on TV. Of course, I am speaking of a 'liberal' state, so perhaps you just come from a more conservative area. But, not to be rude or anything, I believe it's more common than you think. Still, as you said, different people will have different perceptions and that's okay.

  15. #28
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird0ne View Post
    Then, you are not from the USA, because parents can consent to their child marrying younger than 18. And as far as May-December romances not being common? You ever hear of Hugh Hefner? Demi Moore? Anna Nicole Smith? And those are just a few of the famous people. Also, there's the whole 'cougar' thing popularized on TV. Of course, I am speaking of a 'liberal' state, so perhaps you just come from a more conservative area. But, not to be rude or anything, I believe it's more common than you think. Still, as you said, different people will have different perceptions and that's okay.
    Just to set things straight, age of consent refers to the age at which a person is considered legally competent to engage in sexual activity, which is usually 18. I didn't talk about Isshin marrying Masaki while she was still in school.

    And on a statistical standpoint, it's not really accurate or fair to draw assumptions about an entire population based on such a small sample size as celebrities.

    Nor is it justified to assess a culture or what's considered acceptable behavior based on what you see on popular television. I mean there was this hidden-camera show where they had an actress playing a homophobic waitress who was creating a ruckus when they planted a gay couple and their children dining at restaurants in NYC and Texas; more people spoke out for tolerance and acceptance in Texas, the red state, than in NYC.

    Generalizing things is a very dangerous thing to do.

  16. #29
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sky Render's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    Spain
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    Every time someone accuses Kubo of being lazy and not planning things, and Bleach of not having plot or character development, just put this link on your post and be done with it.

    http://bleachness.livejournal.com/319557.html

  17. #30
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Firebird0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: So, seems Bleach is getting Twilighty...

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan4 View Post
    Just to set things straight, age of consent refers to the age at which a person is considered legally competent to engage in sexual activity, which is usually 18. I didn't talk about Isshin marrying Masaki while she was still in school.

    And on a statistical standpoint, it's not really accurate or fair to draw assumptions about an entire population based on such a small sample size as celebrities.

    Nor is it justified to assess a culture or what's considered acceptable behavior based on what you see on popular television. I mean there was this hidden-camera show where they had an actress playing a homophobic waitress who was creating a ruckus when they planted a gay couple and their children dining at restaurants in NYC and Texas; more people spoke out for tolerance and acceptance in Texas, the red state, than in NYC.

    Generalizing things is a very dangerous thing to do.
    But weren't you generalizing when you said that in your country, which appears to be mine as well, that it is not acceptable? I used celebrity examples to illustrate that the concept is widely known/something people are aware of. If, as you generalized, our country was not accepting of it, then celebrities wouldn't make a show of it as those I mentioned did, and shows that popularized it wouldn't have an audience. Yet, the shows are there and celebrities that are a part of that culture do actually show themselves in public and are not shamed for it. Doesn't make it right, but it makes the point that it is accepted by a large number of people. I didn't say 'the greater number,' just a significant amount. That is a fact, not a generalization.

New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts