Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Donquixote Doflamingo, the mysterious guy

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Donquixote Doflamingo, the mysterious guy

Quote Originally Posted by Duc :D View Post
    the shichi that cut Z was appointed during 1 year through the timeskip, it's someone who's identity we don't know yet, I assume a lvl 6 escapée probably
    Probably that 7th Shichibukai who wasn't mentioned by Brandnew during that meeting, Oda mysteriously kept his identity a secret, so he must be someone pretty special and strong

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    Though I know how movies work as "canon" and should not be directly intertwine with the story if we are going to classify the story on its entirety...
    I am quite sure that information was given directly from Oda to the movie, it's not something the anime staff would add out of nowhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roarchu View Post
    Donquixote D. Oflamingo
    That's the question: DD is a D?

If one writes ・ド・ (do between interpuncts), this katakana can be read like the ・D・ from モンキー・D・ルフィ (Monkey D. Luffy).

So Donquixote ・ド・ Flamingo, that is, Donquixote D. Flamingo. (There is no O before Flamingo in this case.)

Thus, it's enough to insert a right interpunct to change DD into a D.

We've already seen this when a left interpunct was inserted in Gold (ゴールド・), then, it's become Gol D. (ゴール・D・).

BTW I think D. abbreviates an honorific title because it's unlikely that all D. characters have an odd and identical first given name. Besides, to give two given names is unusual in Japan.

Maybe his real name is Quixote D. Flamingo, but as he's become a king he's adopted an honorific title, Don. Besides, Dressrosa seems an Italy-, Spain-themed island/kingdom, then, Don— an Italian, Spanish honorific title— makes sense.

In our universe (IDK in OPverse), Don is put before the given name. So Quixote can be a given name, not a family name. If so, Flamingo is another animal-related family name like other D. characters: Flamingo D. Quixote.

Oda's Puzzles

EDIT: I note we occasionaly forget that Oda names his characters using either Eastern Order (eg Monkey D. Luffy) or Western Order (eg Edward Newgate).

EDIT: I don't speak Japanese. It's only amateur research (raw manga, OPwiki etc) and guessing.
    Last edited by alelucas; May 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheLuffySmile's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geez View Post
    I don't know if you guys watched the last movie so i'll put a spoiler tag :

Spoiler show
    Movies do not mean shit to the manga. Excuse my bluntness on the matter.
    Last edited by TheLuffySmile; May 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
    Hey, Ace! Sabo's alive man! just thought you deserved to know.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

We already saw who ordered dd to kill moria: a man with a hat in the WG,but it wasn't his boss, just a partner. But his past must be hella important,though sengoku blamed on him for being the sea trash: a pirate, shouldn't he have treated him better, if dd were actually a tenryubito?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alelucas View Post
    Maybe his real name is Quixote D. Flamingo, but as he's become a king he's adopted an honorific title, Don. Besides, Dressrosa seems an Italy-, Spain-themed island/kingdom, then, Don— an Italian, Spanish honorific title— makes sense.

In our universe (IDK in OPverse), Don is put before the given name. So Quixote can be a given name, not a family name. If so, Flamingo is another animal-related family name like other D. characters: Flamingo D. Quixote.

Oda's Puzzles

EDIT: I note we occasionaly forget that Oda names his characters using either Eastern Order (eg Monkey D. Luffy) or Western Order (eg Edward Newgate).
    So his Don is really because he is a Nobleman, right?! Now I hope Oda tell us wether Flamingo is a 'D' or not. I bet he is.
    Last edited by alelucas; June 25, 2013 at 03:40 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    This has been my prediction about it:

Where did you get the images and dialogue from? The upper and lower right panel come from chapter 594 but has a completely different original dialogue. Nothing about a "son" nor that he gives orders to kill Moriah.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    Where did you get the images and dialogue from? The upper and lower right panel come from chapter 594 but has a completely different original dialogue. Nothing about a "son" nor that he gives orders to kill Moriah.
    Oh, sorry if you got confused. It was my prediction in the form of some altered panels.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Czocza's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Great predictiion, April 12, 2013 is a date you posted it :d

I hope we get Doflamingo flashback story very soon and I bet its going to be one which explain all the past of Law and Doflamingo.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Czocza View Post
    Great predictiion, April 12, 2013 is a date you posted it :d

I hope we get Doflamingo flashback story very soon and I bet its going to be one which explain all the past of Law and Doflamingo.
    The original idea was not mine but eefrit's one, who posted it on Dec 18:
    Quote Originally Posted by eefrit View Post
    Pretty cool chapter. I agree with the folks saying the person in the upper left corner is Kaido. But DD is one of those kind of pirates eh? With all this "Young Master" business, I really hope it means DD is the son of that blond Gorosei person. That or he is just narcissistic.
    I only bet for a different elders star and made the pic a day later.

Doflamingo saying that is not as simple as that he is a Celestial Dragon, keeps the prediction still on running.
    Last edited by ukimix; June 28, 2013 at 03:29 PM.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

To sum up the key panels to Dofly's identity, I add the recent revelations to the hints posted in the first post

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    The hints:

Spoiler: Ch 234 - Doflamingo, disrespectful with the marine show

Spoiler: Ch 504 - From the slave to the smile show

Spoiler: Ch 581 - Orders from higher up show

Spoiler: Ch 595 - Report to the World Government in Marijoa show

Spoiler: Ch 673 - Doflamingo the underbroker show

Spoiler: Ch 682 - Doflamingo is called "The young master" by his crew show

Spoiler: Ch 689 - Doflamingo smiles business show

Spoiler: Ch 691 - "Law, you don't know anything of Joker's past, and that will be your downfall" show

Spoiler: Ch 699 - "If I'm unable to silence that man ..., I'll have to change my plants" show

Spoiler: Ch 699 - Not jus a regular War Lord / pirate; the most dire situation for the Marine show

Spoiler: Ch 722 - The Donquixote clan, one of the celestial dragon families reigning the world from Mariejois show

Spoiler: Ch 723 - Once Doflamingo was a celestial dragon, but now he's not one show
    I suppose, what we have seen in those two last chapters mean that there has been a theryubito who was Doflamingo's father and who was the old master in correspondence with Dofly's nick name used by his crew: the young master.

I'm really looking forward to see a flashback about how Dofly was no more a celestial dragon.
    Last edited by ukimix; October 21, 2013 at 08:48 AM.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2