Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kakumeiki Valvrave

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Kakumeiki Valvrave

Kakumeiki Valvrave

Alternative Title: Valvrave the Liberator
    Episodes: 12
    Aired: Apr 12, 2013 to ?
    Producers: Sunrise, Aniplex, Aniplex of AmericaL
    Genres: Action, Mecha

Synopsis
    True Calendar (T.C.) 71 - A new age where 70% of the human population lives in space thanks to the development of "Dyson Sphere", a city in space.

The world is divided into two main powers: The Dorssia Military Pact Federation, a power which grew out of a military alliance, and the Atlantic Rim United States (ARUS), which grew in power as it expanded its trade agreements. The minor nation of JIOR has declared neutrality between these two forces and maintains its peace through economic prosperity.

Within the JIOR's Sphere, Haruto Tokishima lived an ordinary life as a high school student in the division known as "Module 77"—until the Dorssian military begins their sudden invasion!

But the whole world will be shaken when Haruto meets the mysterious humanoid weapon, Valvrave!

(Source: Aniplex USA)

Opening: "Preserved Roses" by T.M.Revolution x Nana Mizuki
    Ending: #1: "Boku ja nai" by angela
    #2: "Soba ni Iru yo" by ELISA

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Ghan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kakumeiki Valvrave

I must admit, this might turn out to be one of the best shows I've seen. Damn that Valvrave was awesome. Scythes,swords, and guns are a deadly combo

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Ghan; April 13, 2013 at 04:16 PM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Valvrave is probably the worst first episode i have seen in a long time, except maybe the twist at the end. By the way Ghan, you should probably put your last sentence into spoilers.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Valvrave is probably the worst first episode i have seen in a long time, except maybe the twist at the end. By the way Ghan, you should probably put your last sentence into spoilers.
    Totally agree with the only exception being that the animation was at least fairly good. Story & character matter most to me however, so that's not saying much. I'm not a mecha OR school life anime fan at all but I checked this out due to the buzz about Hoshino's work influencing the show's creators (her character designs, while certainly done very nicely, are not anything special to me for this particular series so it's purely about how much an influence her work might be) I'm curious where this'll go what with that ending and all. That question Haruto was asked in the cockpit certainly had me wondering what the consequences of answering "yes" might be...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hopeandlight's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

it wasn't the best but its a breath of fresh air
    the characters didn't go over the top with fanservice
    i liked how the romance went, it didn't drag
    and his almost confession didn't seem awkward

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner practically's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the first episode physically hurt to watch, but I feel like it's also established some very interesting beginnings for future developments, and it's those I'll be keeping an eye out for! I'm particularly interested in seeing why Akira did what she did, and in seeing the other students be fleshed out. ;v;

I'm also glad Marie at least lampshades one of the ridiculous sets of boobs on the swimming instructor because what even ఠ_ఠ

Spoiler show

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I haven't seen any first eps for some time now. A season or two maybe. But now that I think about it, worst first ep in recent memory would have to be Guilty Crown. Possibly worst 1st ep I've ever seen. ^_^;

Anyway, I'm kinda bored with 'school life' and mecha doesn't excite me but the characters themselves were okay. I just didn't care for what they were doing until the end. There were points for that near-confession at the beginning but it didn't pan out. Only characters I really like right now are Haruto and that sarcastic girl that tossed Shouko his phone in class. She was pretty funny. Right now I like that girl more though. I'm afraid Haruto could enter Shuu territory (Guilty Crown) if we never find out why he's so awesome with fighting out of nowhere, after being such a fervent pacifist. If there's no good reason then he's essentially going to be a more "serious" version of Natsu from FT, winning battles with Friendship Power. Luckily the bizarre twist at the end is making this seem less likely. Thankfully.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone who watched the first episode with GG's subtitles (whatever vid site outside of Crunchyroll), there's a correction to be made for a scene in the twist ending:

Spoiler show

That is all. ^__^

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

That feels like Guilty Crown all over again... I'm rather scared to continue watching this... The mainchar seems like a wuss (HIT THE f-ing YES button damn it!!! ) and the girl is way to cute for him... (Not that it matters anymore though)
    Nothing out of the ordinary was shown. The animation quality was splendid though.

(By the way. Seems like the developers of the Valvrave software were Otakus too... )

On a site note... "Waffe" Units? Seriously...?

I will watch at least the second episode... But I don't have time for another Guilty Crown...

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Haruto easily beats Shuu already for me. Shouko's not "too cute" for him either (not that I really care unless she turns out to be someone important to the story). They would make a cute couple imo. Shuu got people killed with his indecision, didn't he? Or close to it. And that's only the start of what pissed me off about Shuu...

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    Haruto easily beats Shuu already for me. Shuu got people killed with his indecision, didn't he? Or close to it. And that's only the start of what pissed me off about Shuu...
    Spoiler show

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't particularly enjoy the first episode. Especially paying off intruding countries to keep them away instead of using military forces might be the worst idea ever.
    The only thing that got me interested is the girl who has been shown to be monitoring events from an outside perspective. The beastly-like inhuman transformation was lame. The battle scenes were okay, but nothing that got me hooked and the enemy units paled in comparison to secret weapon Valvrave.

Seems likely to be dropped off, but I can wait for at least one more episode.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguardian View Post
    Spoiler show
    Shuu had less of a choice than Haruto did. It was a little bit more about self defence and saving the girl. With Haruto it's about avenging the girl. That's a decision that he at least made very quickly, but imo it was kind of inconsistent choice for a supposedly pacifist-type character to make. He seems to harbour guilt from people teasing or goading him earlier in the ep about not fighting back/trying hard enough but was there anything he could have done to prevent Shouko's death? No. Not in the slightest. So when he was all "Revenge!! Revenge!!" I was all "WTF? This is supposed to be the same person?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuteiken View Post
    I didn't particularly enjoy the first episode. Especially paying off intruding countries to keep them away instead of using military forces might be the worst idea ever.
    The only thing that got me interested is the girl who has been shown to be monitoring events from an outside perspective. The beastly-like inhuman transformation was lame. The battle scenes were okay, but nothing that got me hooked and the enemy units paled in comparison to secret weapon Valvrave.

Seems likely to be dropped off, but I can wait for at least one more episode.
    *nods* I hope in one more episode we can get a clearer idea of where things might be going. I forgot about that girl. I'll have to keep an eye out for her next time, since I can't be bothered to check the 1st ep again. ^_^;

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    Shuu had less of a choice than Haruto did. It was a little bit more about self defence and saving the girl. With Haruto it's about avenging the girl. That's a decision that he at least made very quickly, but imo it was kind of inconsistent choice for a supposedly pacifist-type character to make. He seems to harbour guilt from people teasing or goading him earlier in the ep about not fighting back/trying hard enough but was there anything he could have done to prevent Shouko's death? No. Not in the slightest. So when he was all "Revenge!! Revenge!!" I was all "WTF? This is supposed to be the same person?"
    True that.
    I'm still not happy with Haruto snapping... Despair would've been appropriate not a sudden "I'm going to kill you all!!!".
    He seemed like a wuss and lost control at the end... I'm not happy with that.
    But this was only the first episode.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguardian View Post
    True that.
    I'm still not happy with Haruto snapping... Despair would've been appropriate not a sudden "I'm going to kill you all!!!".
    He seemed like a wuss and lost control at the end... I'm not happy with that.
    But this was only the first episode.
    Think the other way around. If they already have such an inconsistency in the first episode already, what can you expect from such writers in the future?
    Besides about Haruto, i laughed the most about the black haired class mate who was texting all the time. The girl Haruto was in love with literally just died (or not, who knows), and her comment was "just accept it already and move on".

New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast