Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 50 of 134 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 ... LastLast

Thread: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! (Use Spoilers for safety...) - Part 3

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! (Use Spoilers for safety...) - Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by HybridBloodsZak View Post
    This negative stigma against filler is starting to get really annoying...

If it's completely irrelevant to the plot at hand, majorly ruins the spirit of the story or the plot itself, I get it but crucifying something just because it wasn't in the manga before/without actually analyzing it and seeing how it relates to the context of the overall story is stupid. I actually found the first half to be pretty insightful with Kite explaining to Gon how being a Hunter is actually putting one's resolve to the test. It brings things full circle in a sense because a lot of Gon's trials throughout the series has been testing how resolute Gon's will is. His battle with Hanzo in the Hunter Exam and his duel with the Bomber in Greed Island were tests to see who would break first and Gon both times came out the victor. Heck Madhouse even integrated the Hunter commandments into Kite's discussion which we know plays a role in the future

This point then ties neatly with the second half of the episode when Morel's explaining to Killua what true Nen battles are which are tests of will since anything can happen to turn the tide. Fighting with the resolve to come out on top no matter what you're up against which a lot of the time is unknown beforehand

[Though the trio don't have a sense of how strong the Royal Guards are yet, Morel was technically right. Killua's resolve was inferior to Pitou's bloodlust when it came to it. Gon's nature is a double edged sword because it allowed him to not waver from Pitou's aura however he most likely would have died had Killua not stopped him. As we've seen Gon is a special case in the series because he's probably one of the most steadfast characters in the entire series]*

So I fail to see how the first half was "getting in the way, disrupting the flow of things" You sound like the posters on 4chan QQing whenever the opportunity seems ripe. For me, Madhouse has actually been improving the character arcs thus far making them more defined whether its Kite or the Chimera Ants themselves. Kite's story arc for NGL in the anime was handled well and his death still has that impact the manga intended(Arguably enhanced) as evidenced by the many video reactions from anime only viewers(manga readers too) on Youtube or comments on episode discussions around the animesphere.

[]- Side Explanation not related to my perspective on adapting something into an anime but I wanted to sneak that in anyway
    I don't know where all the sense you are talking about came from. Actually fairly speaking, talking about resolve in becoming a top Pro Hunter at that point in the story is what exactly is disrupting the flow of events. They were (according to MH's original plot) tracking down the Chimera Ants' walking back to their nest. Their safety, even their life, depended solely upon Kaito's en and his concentration in keeping his en alert. To back this up, no one was sure about the Chimera Ant's true extent of strength and one of two episodes back Kaito CLEARLY sensed the danger during their fight with the ambush. If I were Kaito, I would have substantially become more alert from that point onwards. It was definitely not a time when you can casually sit down and chat about your life story. Therefore, I said (and I maintain) that it was a sorry excuse of a filler, because it seems that due to their own mistake, MH then had no choice BUT to do something at that point before Kaito gets killed by Pitou. In doing so, they had no choice but to create a plot hole.

And the other way that this disrupted the flow of events is that it became more difficult for MH to fill the 22 minutes time frame they are allotted for each episode. Because the length of fillers are difficult to estimate, they had to lengthen other parts in order to make the whole episode "fit" with the time frame. This has caused unnatural slow-downs in battles, awkward lengthening of speech and strange pauses. Until now, it just feels like they make each episode with "time gap filling" as their priority, but not the natural progression of the story. They preferred "we will add this to explain things and will end the episode at exactly the end of Chapter XXX" to "this is the end of this episode, we are now at panel X of page XX of Chapter XXX".

But as I said, my verdict is that this was a "good episode" for the reason that there was some good acting and good music. Both the arm cutting and the showing of Kaito's head was quite dramatic. And I agree that, from this point onwards, we will be seeing improvements because there should be less fillers.
    Last edited by jam1; June 25, 2013 at 02:32 AM.

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Edit: I had a long follow up but I no longer care/have the patience to retort back and forth

See everyone until the next episode
    Last edited by HybridBloodsZak; June 25, 2013 at 03:30 AM.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Popo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jam1 View Post
    I don't know where all the sense you are talking about came from. Actually fairly speaking, talking about resolve in becoming a top Pro Hunter at that point in the story is what exactly is disrupting the flow of events. They were (according to MH's original plot) tracking down the Chimera Ants' walking back to their nest. Their safety, even their life, depended solely upon Kaito's en and his concentration in keeping his en alert. To back this up, no one was sure about the Chimera Ant's true extent of strength and one of two episodes back Kaito CLEARLY sensed the danger during their fight with the ambush. If I were Kaito, I would have substantially become more alert from that point onwards. It was definitely not a time when you can casually sit down and chat about your life story. Therefore, I said (and I maintain) that it was a sorry excuse of a filler, because it seems that due to their own mistake, MH then had no choice BUT to do something at that point before Kaito gets killed by Pitou. In doing so, they had no choice but to create a plot hole.
    Not a plothole. Right after Kite's feeling of foreboding, he retracts the statement following Killua's battle. Something like..."Maybe I'm getting worried over nothing." Moreover, the Squadron Leaders turned tail and ran without even putting up a fight. Kite never imagined that The Royal Guard would have been born. His En was still active too--that's how Pitou discovered him in the first place. It'll be detailed later.

6. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the fillers--

I have mixed feelings about them. I feel like the manga's pace was too quick at the beginning of the arc, and I would have enjoyed seeing some of the battles (ex. Kite vs. Yunju) in the source material, but it wasn't shown. Same with Killua's fight against Hagya's squad. These fillers enhanced the story. The evolution of the chimera ants and showing their individuality also enhanced the story. And I could even say the same about the filler before shit went down the last episode. Of course, this pretty much sealed the deal with Kite, and maybe it's because I knew what was going to happen that the blow was softened, but those fillers were HUGE death flags for Kite. Hell, there were other instances where Kite had death flags waving all around him, or at least we were given the impression that there was going to be some sort of impending doom and trial that Gon and Killua have to experience. Although I think these may have been spoilerish, to an extent, seeing the reactions of anime-only viewers to the last episode, my mind has changed on that.

I like that Madhouse is still paying attention to details in the source material and incorporating them, one example being Ging's hunter license (they didn't forget about it!), and one of the commandments of being a hunter. Resolve was a huge theme last episode, and I think Madhouse was able to set the mood to revolve around that, at least until the very last scene where I feel like the overall mood of the arc will change.

In the pace of the manga being quick, you also get the feeling that it's urgent that Kite reaches the queen, but it is nice to give him some more screen time, and you can tell that Gon really admires him. I'm glad that Kite gave Gon Ging's license, but I would have actually preferred it when they're not pursuing ants--maybe when they were around the campfire or something. And some of the fillers seemed off in their interpretations of the characters. For instance, Killua shooting his lighting at the bugs in the forest seemed really out of character for me.
    Spoiler show

Other than that, their interpretations of Gon are spot on. And the way they portrayed Killua's inner doubts and persona this past episode was superb, as well as Gon's naivete, optimism, and determination. This scene really ties into their conversation in Yorknew---Gon is allowed to do reckless acts, and Killua is there to be the calm and collected one to bail him out and protect him from death(If Killua didn't act the way he did, Gon would have been dead). Of course, Moral also has a point about resolve and nen battles, and this will come up later with regards to Killua... but in this situation, no matter what their determination and mental state was, Gon and Killua would have been dead. If anyone reads Guardian Enzo's blog and reviews for Hunter x Hunter, his interpretations on these two characters is truly spot on, and I'm glad that Madhouse is able to portray it in this manner.

I will admit I have some bias against the fillers because there are certain scenes I'm eager to see animated, but it's really not a huge deal to me. There are times where I enjoy the fillers, there are times I think the fillers missed the mark, and other times where I'm like "meh". Overall, I think they're doing a good job, and although I'm anxious to see my favorite scenes animated, I'm also excited to see this arc dragged out a little more, too.
    Last edited by kindredxiuxiu; June 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Invertroid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jam1 View Post
    And the other way that this disrupted the flow of events is that it became more difficult for MH to fill the 22 minutes time frame they are allotted for each episode. Because the length of fillers are difficult to estimate, they had to lengthen other parts in order to make the whole episode "fit" with the time frame. This has caused unnatural slow-downs in battles, awkward lengthening of speech and strange pauses. Until now, it just feels like they make each episode with "time gap filling" as their priority, but not the natural progression of the story. They preferred "we will add this to explain things and will end the episode at exactly the end of Chapter XXX" to "this is the end of this episode, we are now at panel X of page XX of Chapter XXX".
    Fillers don't make it harder to pace the flow of an episode. Fitting a certain number of manga pages into a 22 minute time span in a way that makes sense and is satisfying to watch is plenty hard on its own, and can lead to many of the negative time-filling adaptation techniques you mentioned. If anything, adding bits of filler can actually make it easier for a studio to pace an episode. They have complete creative control over the length of the filler, allowing them to mold it to fit their needs, while manga scenes can only be drawn out or shrunken so much before it feels unnatural.

I haven't always liked Madhouse's fillers. The flying ant squadron from the last episode was probably one of their weaker ones. Killua recklessly using his lighting was also out of character, something that can crop up all too often with filler. Still, I think the use of fillers in the Ant Arc so far has been largely effective. NGL felt kind of rushed at times in the manga, and I think the extra time the fillers added gave anime-only viewers more time to bond with Kite. I'm sure there has been reason for why Madhouse has included each filler, since none of them have felt like the kind of padding many shonen animes have that's just there to give the manga author more time to write new chapters.
    Last edited by The Invertroid; June 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

You know, I kinda like that there is strong views about the subject. I don't share jam opinion, but I don't think He deserves to be bashed at all, I think his critiques are spot on.

For me, depends the filler. I TOO think that giving the license THERE was kinda a bad move, I would actually prefer it if it were done in previous chapters instead, or when they meet in the forest. Nevertheless I enjoyed this chapter a lot. More for the reactions than the chapter itself, I must admit :P
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

11. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Killua knows these flying Ants can't even use Nen, so they can't see his lighting. So it isn't really out of character.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MegamanX195's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Well, Killua knows these flying Ants can't even use Nen, so they can't see his lighting. So it isn't really out of character.
    Great point, forgot about that.

Flutter could probably see it, but Killua could sense no one else was watching, I guess.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Antxon Kolokon's Avatar
    Country
    Basque Country
    Post Thanks / Like

Flutter, Hanya and Hina can't use nen. They haven't been hit by Rammot.
    Last edited by Antxon Kolokon; July 14, 2013 at 06:17 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Yuyunarutoballz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys, not much of a reaction from me this week because I was spoiled on Kite's death. But, I do have one thing, how did Killua have his phone? He was dragging Gon with him the whole time and he didn't check in anywhere. He used it almost immediately after escaping. NGL. Thought they couldn't have technology there?

Also, something else....DID GON EVER GET HIS HUNTER LICENSE BACK?!?!? Good God. We never got closure on that. He sold it to the pawn shop (which I would have never known was a Pawn shop without you guys. I thought he flat out sold it) and he never bought it back? Ummmm. What?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yuyunarutoballz View Post
    Sorry guys, not much of a reaction from me this week because I was spoiled on Kite's death. But, I do have one thing, how did Killua have his phone? He was dragging Gon with him the whole time and he didn't check in anywhere. He used it almost immediately after escaping. NGL. Thought they couldn't have technology there?

Also, something else....DID GON EVER GET HIS HUNTER LICENSE BACK?!?!? Good God. We never got closure on that. He sold it to the pawn shop (which I would have never known was a Pawn shop without you guys. I thought he flat out sold it) and he never bought it back? Ummmm. What?
    Yeah he got it back thanks to Zepile at the end of Yorknew arc. ALso regarding Beetle phone, I believe he got it back from the border security.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^ As much as I love MADHOUSE they need to explain this stuff. If Gon ever use's his Hunter License in the future the audience is going to be like "Huh?" because we never saw him get it back. Unless Gon pulls it out and Killua's like "Oh hey! You're Hunter license. When'd you get that back?" and Gon has a flashback to Zepile getting it back for him, but then, since it's so sudden it would look like an ass pull.

Also, as far as the phone, if he did get it from border security, what was the point in continuously walking to seemingly the middle of nowhere and THEN making the call? Arughhh.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yuyunarutoballz View Post
    ^ As much as I love MADHOUSE they need to explain this stuff. If Gon ever use's his Hunter License in the future the audience is going to be like "Huh?" because we never saw him get it back. Unless Gon pulls it out and Killua's like "Oh hey! You're Hunter license. When'd you get that back?" and Gon has a flashback to Zepile getting it back for him, but then, since it's so sudden it would look like an ass pull.

Also, as far as the phone, if he did get it from border security, what was the point in continuously walking to seemingly the middle of nowhere and THEN making the call? Arughhh.
    I agree with you, that if you didn't catch the line of Zepile saying he got it back for Gon, you probably wouldn't realise he got it back. But that is how it is in the manga. It is one of those things that could have been fleshed out a little more.

The area he makes the call is just outside the border security (note the huge ass tree haha).

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, so he does say he got it back in the anime? I'ts been a good 30 eps or so. Thanks for clearing that up ^^ likewise on the tree :P

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

More than the license, it's the reputation of the Hunter which is useful.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Thread Closed
Page 50 of 134 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 ... LastLast