Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply

Thread: My theory about what the "one piece" is. Please give me your reflections. =)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My theory about what the "one piece" is. Please give me your reflections. =)

One piece is the story of Luffy.

Luffy is a young boy that he must ascend to the status of "the pirate king"

Luffy decided that in order to become the "pirate king" he must find the "one piece"

So what is the "one piece"

There is no greater power than knowledge.

He who holds the truth, can shed light on anything, and reveal it for what is it.

This is why you cannot "fight" evil. Because when you see "evil" for what it is.

It loses its power over you.

The one piece, is the single piece of information that will shed the light on the world for what it is.

What is that "one piece of information"

The information of the "poneglyph" is the path to the truth of why the world is, the way it is.

You are all ruled, by people that understand your nature, because they have information that you are unaware of.

Once you become aware of this information, you see the world for what it is.

You rise to the status of "pirate king" because those who are in power are so deathly afraid of what you know.

Luffy will never achieve the status of "pirate king"

He will be anointed "Pirate king" by those who fear him the most.

This is my theory.

I would love to hear your reflections.
    Last edited by kliff2004; April 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ankit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My theory about what the "one piece" is. Please give me your reflections. =)

Knowledge is more Tobin's thing. Especially if you are saying that it is written on a Poneglyph. People dont fear Luffy, they llook up to him as a friend not a conquerer

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My theory about what the "one piece" is. Please give me your reflections. =)

I think back when One Piece started (the first few chapters), the focus was on the romantic idea of an adventure at sea. And so I suspect "One Piece" likely referred to going on a whirlwind adventure, and making it back "in one piece." Where the true treasure is the adventure! And hence, why Roger said he left his treasure for people to search for - to give others an adventure of their own.

However, as the series grew far beyond what the author started with (the Romance Dawn short), and the One Piece world became richer, then the author decided to make One Piece an actual object (as he said in one of his interviews).

Now, what that object is? Who knows. After reading this series, I'm pretty sure it won't be anything any of us will expect!

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The truth revealed by the poneglyphs will lead to the end of the Grandline. Rogers, Rayleigh, and their crew learned the true history. The true history is something they need to draw their own conclusions about after taking a good long look at the whole world. Luffy did not want to know what the treasure is, where it was hidden, or if it even really existed or not, he wanted the opportunity to find out for himself. In summery:

The truth will lead you to the end of the world. The truth is something you have to make your own decisions about, after experiencing the entire world. Luffy wants to find out the truth for himself, without any hints. One Piece is the true history. To learn the truth, the Strawhats will have to reach Raftel, requiring that they sail the entire Grandline. The World Government feared the truth so much that they annihilated every man, woman, and child living in Ohara, with the exception of Robin. Roger learned the truth, and even is yet unborn son would pay the price. The government swore to kill Rogers entire bloodline.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    The truth revealed by the poneglyphs will lead to the end of the Grandline. Rogers, Rayleigh, and their crew learned the true history. The true history is something they need to draw their own conclusions about after taking a good long look at the whole world. Luffy did not want to know what the treasure is, where it was hidden, or if it even really existed or not, he wanted the opportunity to find out for himself. In summery:

The truth will lead you to the end of the world. The truth is something you have to make your own decisions about, after experiencing the entire world. Luffy wants to find out the truth for himself, without any hints. One Piece is the true history. To learn the truth, the Strawhats will have to reach Raftel, requiring that they sail the entire Grandline. The World Government feared the truth so much that they annihilated every man, woman, and child living in Ohara, with the exception of Robin. Roger learned the truth, and even is yet unborn son would pay the price. The government swore to kill Rogers entire bloodline.
    I agree, except I distinctly remember reading an SBS where Oda plainly says that yes, One Piece is a physical object. So, not just the true history. But likely an object that has something to do with the true history.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece could be the collection of treasures, records, and information of the history and what really happened. This is probably why Rayleigh wanted Robin and the others to know the world better before learning about history and the way he said it makes me think the history was horrible. Based on that and my memory of Rayleigh or Whitebeard (I think the latter) saying or implying Roger was searching for the one to carry on Will of D makes me think that Raftel will be either second to last or third to last arc, but it won't be the last arc, and that the story will continue for at least another year. Unless, Oda decides to get into the whole thing during their adventures rather than after Raftel.

I think One Piece is the combination of treasures and information, basically what Luffy, Nami, and Robin have been searching for or wanted. It also ties in with who Roger was looking for in Luffy and I guess his crew, along with the blank century.

Kudos for this thread though. Made me think about One Piece, and after reading the posts here, especially Kait's, made me wonder all the possibilities.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I don't think the manga will ever actually get into what OP really is. I can buy them answering a lot of questions in the manga however in the end the issue at hand is that one piece is something that has been built up for over 10 years now and will continue to get build up for another 10 for all we know. What can conceivably justify 20 years of hype? I don't think there is anything oda can show us regarding one piece that could ever actually live up to the hype it has.

Lets be serious, there are 2 possibilities at large about what one piece could be. The first one would be treasure. A ton of it for all we know. How unsatisfying an ending would it be if luffy gets to raftel and all he finds is a ton of gold? Would it be worth it for the strawhats? They already have a ton of gold for that matter, they took it from moria.

The second thing would be something non physical, kinda like a cliche "its not the ending, its about the journey and all the things you got from it" or something along the lines of that. Perhaps even, "one is is all the beautiful things you got getting here". How would it make us readers feel? 20 years worth of hype and it turns out one piece was some pseudo philosophical mumbo jumbo....

Now, it is plausible that one piece is actually somewhere in the middle however it adds up to the same.... If they end up finding a treasure and hidden within luffy finds a message of some sort telling him the true OP is in his heart it would still be massively unsatisfying.

OP in the end has to live up to 20 years of hype by the end... it will come after the truth of history is revealed, after zoro beats mihawk, after luffy is the strongest pirate... there is nothing OP can be that will ever beat any of that. I don't think oda would be wise to actually have OP be something and reveal it. No surprise is worth 20 years..... Take fishman island, we had been waiting for it for 600 chapters. Did it live up to the hype? Of course not. On the other hand sanbody was awesome and it caught up completely offguard (appearance wise at least).

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I think One Piece could be the treasure that answers all the questions like what happened in the Blank Century, gold, and whatnot. Luffy doesn't care about the gold as much as he does about adventure, otherwise he wouldn't have stopped Usopp or Rayleigh from revealing more about One Piece. Could Raftel also be All Blue or be close to All Blue?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't the all blue the very end of the grand line? The theory behind it was that it was a place where water from all oceans gathered so it had fish from all oceans. The only place this could be was the end of the grand line which actually has water from every oceans including the grand line...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece may be a particular Poneglyph, an ancient civilisation, a knowledge, but also a weapon, maybe new friends from the blank history.
    But it will definitally make Luffy angry against Marijoa and the Tenrubito (even if he is already in war against WG and punch one or two of them), provoque the final arc, coming after the Visiting Strawhat's friends Tour !
    (i'm stoned)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i think one piece is how the devil fruits came about during the void time and how it connects to the will of d (connection to kings haki). I think haki being the only thing that nullifies df power is another additional clue.

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Isn't the all blue the very end of the grand line? The theory behind it was that it was a place where water from all oceans gathered so it had fish from all oceans. The only place this could be was the end of the grand line which actually has water from every oceans including the grand line...
    I have no idea to be honest. If it's at the end, then Sanji may realize his dream at same time as two or three other Strawhats. If it's on the way then he might be the first to recognize his dream.

Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's... a one-piece!

Spoiler show

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe One Piece is the Sea Unification Theory. A pirate king is the world's most free man. It's Luffy's Will. Luffy want be free. (The contrary view is Teach's. He want be a ruler.) To reach his goal, Luffy must destroy Red Line: Marijeoa / Fishman Island; Reverse Mountain; or both. I think Madam Shyarly's Prophecy is about this. Roger didn't do this because he was ill.

New Reply