Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128

View Poll Results: I prefer...

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Series

2 40.00%
  • One-Shots

0 0%
  • I like them both just fine.

2 40.00%
  • I have more to say about it... (state in your post!)

1 20.00%
New Reply

Thread: Shoujo/Josei One-Shots?

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Shoujo/Josei One-Shots?

Hi, guys. o/

What do you think of shoujo/josei one-shots? (To be honest I don't think I've ever read a josei one-shot, lol) Personally speaking I don't really like one-shots because things ended too short most of the times. Sometimes the plot is quite potential to be slightly longer than just one book. But then again that's how one-shots are so...

Do you like reading one-shots? Which one do you prefer, one-shots or longer series?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shoujo/Josei One-Shots?

I prefer series too, but I have to admit that there are some stories that are good even though they're one-shots. When I want some light reading, I'll prefer one-shots since it's not as complicated as series.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    I prefer series too, but I have to admit that there are some stories that are good even though they're one-shots. When I want some light reading, I'll prefer one-shots since it's not as complicated as series.
    My most favorite one-shot, Watashi no Suki na Hito (The One I Love) from CLAMP, consists of small short stories inside of it, with each chapter less than 10 pages. Very short, haha. But it delivers the message well. I'm not sure of other great one-shots... Latest one I read is Mashikaku Rock. Quite a pretty one, IMO. :3

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I read some one-shots but I can't remember them (since the story is so short) but one particular one-shot I still remember is Soleil by Ichinose Kaoru. Perhaps I remember it because I recently read it (not that recent, more than a year ago, actually) and the guy art is so, so beautiful. Not to mention, the historical setting. I love historical setting.
    There's also a one-shot from Akizuki Sorata (I'll choke you if you do not recognize this name!) which needs some searching to find, as I could only remember a story, but not the title or the other stories. I finally found its title is Vahlia no Hanamuko which contains four story, and the only story I remember is Ginsekai no Shoumei. I guess I only remember this one because of the snow.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

You just want to choke me, admit it. Don't try to find strange reasons such as the possibility that I don't recognize Sorata-san who draws one of my favorite characters. *rolls eyes* I've heard of him drawing one-shots, been planning to check them out but still haven't touched them up until now, lol. Lazy me.

I think I've heard of Ichinose Kaoru too, but I'm not sure...

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    You just want to choke me, admit it. Don't try to find strange reasons such as the possibility that I don't recognize Sorata-san who draws one of my favorite characters. *rolls eyes* I've heard of him drawing one-shots, been planning to check them out but still haven't touched them up until now, lol. Lazy me.

I think I've heard of Ichinose Kaoru too, but I'm not sure...
    I was just testing you.

I first encountered Ichinose Kaoru's work "Mishounen Produce". I read the physical comic book for volume 1 and 2. I was just accompanying my friend who was going to borrow comics from the comic renting, and my hand unconsciously moved to take this one from the shelf because the guy is just so, so pretty. My heart nearly stopped when I flipped the pages and accidentally opened the page where he opened his clothes' buttons with such an inviting face. Hot guy opening his clothes? Uh-oh.
    Then I figured out about the one-shots and... *guilty smile* I just had to read them.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member windy van's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer series to oneshots.. Oneshots are too short and I always wanted them to be a little longer..
    But those 30+ volumes series is too much for me, with exception for Skip Beat that still keep me reading. But there are really good oneshots you must read.. My favorite oneshots are Kanojo no Namida ga Yuki da Toshitara by Minamori Koyomi, Haru Koi by Suetsugu Yuki, and Hotarutabi no Mori e by Midorikawa Yuki.. Read them, those are really good!!

'What one can do, what one cannot do, what one must do.. All These one must decide by oneself.'
    Bokura no Kiseki

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I like reading both! Because, they each have their own charms.

I couldn't appreciate one-shots before, and never attempted reading, until I got a class in short-story writing- where I began to appreciate short stories and their powerful punches- captured in one brief moment.

In series you can afford chapters upon chapters of character development and that's fine too.

One of my favorite one-shots would have to be "a series of one-shots compiled into 4 volumes or something, by written by Masaya Hokazono and drawn by Court Betten.
    Last edited by baboysai; July 12, 2013 at 02:51 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner moniker's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it specially if they are interlinked with multiple protagonists.

I can't remember the time where I felt hanging reading One-shots since most of them are satisfying for a short 20 pages min to 50 pages max. But when I do, they deserve some continuation but awesome One-shot/s, nonetheless. A kind of One-shot I'd come back to read.

I have no problems with Ongoing Series of volumes, except if I felt the story is dragging. I'm okay with 1 or 2 volumes. But if it's more than 3 and above, I might get threatened and rethink to read it or not.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that I think about it though, I think I'd prefer Josei over Shoujo when it comes to oneshots. It's just, there's a different poetry that is hard to achieve with shoujo in oneshots that can easily be done with josei.

New Reply