Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Games Hangout Thread -2014 Tokyo Game Show Version-

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Games Hangout Thread - Part 1

How is it an anti-piracity move? There are no ilegal copies of a product nor anything like that.

But actually, it's not Microsoft the one that came with the idea, big gaming companies (dunno how to say it in English lol) did it. IIRC one of the co-founders of Eidos (now Square-Enix EU) Ian Livingstone supported the idea.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sony announced that its E3 press conference will be held on June 10th at 6 pm.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    How is it an anti-piracity move? There are no ilegal copies of a product nor anything like that.

But actually, it's not Microsoft the one that came with the idea, big gaming companies (dunno how to say it in English lol) did it. IIRC one of the co-founders of Eidos (now Square-Enix EU) Ian Livingstone supported the idea.
    No, Microsoft didn't come up with the idea but if the rumors of what the next gen xbox online connectivity turned out to be than it would be taking that further than ANY console in the history of gaming.

Here is a list of the things the rumor mill is saying about the next xbox.

The always online and anti-used game measures are the things I just can't imagine Microsoft going with for all the reasons I said on the previous page. Those are both anti-piracy measures in the sense that they control what games can do with their games and consoles after sale.

Always online because it means the system is reliant on factors outside of the gamers control to work (IE Microsoft servers) even in cases were such a thing is of no benefit to the gamer.

Blocking Used games because it would prevent true ownership of a product. For example I could no longer lend a game, which I had bought and paid for, to a friend.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Since when lending a game is considered piracy? no one is earning money with others work.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    Since when lending a game is considered piracy? no one is earning money with others work.
    The rational is that used games, lended games, and rented games all cut into how many copies of a game a company sells.

Piracy, as some video game companies define it, isn't just "making money from their product" it's "using a product without the company who made it receiving money for it". As happens when people torrent a game. Many companies view used games as somebody buying their game in a way that doesn't earn profit for them in a similar light. Never taking into consideration that in a situation where somebody buys a used game, plays a lent game, or rentals that game was originally bought by somebody in every one of those situations. Meaning that they did get profit from the original purchase, and are just annoyed that somebody choose to pass their copy on to someone else.

The only way used game sales can be effectively ended though is through console or account locking games. So when you buy a game and you put the disk in your console the game locks onto that console or that account and cannot be redistributed.

-------------------------------------------------------

These measure should be extremely offensive to any consumer, which is why I have a very hard time believing any console really will do it.

In any other industry the mere suggestion would laughable. Imagine Car Manufactures making cars that can't be resold? Or book publishers going after library and used books stores? Yet video game companies have openly discussed what is essentially the same thing.
    Last edited by Jammin; May 03, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Xerous's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Well now word is the $299 and $10 a month is now $15 a month which includes the family pack kinda like one of Xboxs current deals so I hope it's not true seeing as I don't need a family pack and I don't want to shell out $660 for the system.

---------- Post added May 05, 2013 at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was May 04, 2013 at 09:41 PM ----------

First screenshots of Batman: Arkham Origins can be found Here.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, it has been confirmed that the XBOX Fusion (apparently that'll be the name, Microsoft registered it) won't need to be "always on" and (still not sure) will read used games.

But Im not here because of that. Apparently, Microsoft is developing a projector that will create an enviroment not only in front of you, but all around you (using every single wall in your room) giving you a full 3D experience.

Oh, and the console will have backward compatibility, but you'll need to buy a device.

I can't give you a source as I'm getting this info from Spanish sites, sorry :/

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Oh, here we go

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Well from what I recall the Illumiroom is only in front of us but I suppose time will tell and in an interview a few weeks back they said the always on will be up to the developer so some will and some wont.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

The projector thing is cool in principle but it does have a few limitations. Ultimately it necessarily has to be an entirely optional feature considering a significant number of games won't have the room for such a thing. Honestly though, even the images in the pictures are not as clear as they would have to be for the thing to be as awesome as it should be. It ultimately feels unnecessary.

I really can't believe they would go that far for the piracy stuff. Its offensive and a lot of people buy games thinking they will sell them in the future to get new games. The amount of people who play games could seriously suffer a blow if other consoles don't do something similar. The whole thing would be passable if games were cheaper to make up for it however I doubt they would do that. Kinda like "hey, you won't be able to sell our games but that will be offset by the fact that we will sell games 20 dollars cheaper than the competition".

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

According to this Forbes article, the new Xbox console and PS4 will not block used games. As for the "always-on" rumor...

Quote Quote:
    The new Xbox “always-on” concept that has been covered extensively in the press is also something that video game analyst Michael Pachter discussed. He said a better term for the new Xbox would be “connected,” and could be compared to DirecTV. The box could be turned off, but like DirecTV, it could turn on automatically to record a scheduled movie or upload new menu information for the guide.
    Another interesting tidbit

Quote Quote:
    The big differentiator between Sony and Microsoft could come in the form of low-priced subsidized Xbox consoles. Pachter believes Microsoft could work directly with cable and Internet providers to offset the price of the new hardware. If the new Xbox retails for $400, for example, it could sell for as little as $100 with a two-year commitment to that cable or Internet provider. This is the same model mobile companies like Verizon and Sprint use for the latest smartphone like the Apple iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy S4. Microsoft has already experimented with this model with Xbox 360, offering the console for just $99 with a two-year commitment to Xbox Live.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems AlienWare has some big revealment at E3 I can only wonder what.

The Green Knight MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Gats's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Suprising no one posted the fact that Disney gave the Star Wars Licence game to EA.

Spoiler show

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, they do make decent games but somehow I get the impression that star wars might be somewhat outside their area of expertize when it comes to developing. I won't rule them out yet but I am not optimistic either. I mean, its the fifa guys... their money maker year after year is the same game as the year before but with minor improvements.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I did love the KOTOR series so my faith isn't shaken besides they'll have frostbite 3 and now I hear the creator of the AC series has been fired that's crazy I have to wonder why.
    Last edited by Xerous; May 07, 2013 at 05:50 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, they do make decent games but somehow I get the impression that star wars might be somewhat outside their area of expertize when it comes to developing. I won't rule them out yet but I am not optimistic either. I mean, its the fifa guys... their money maker year after year is the same game as the year before but with minor improvements.
    As an avid FIFA player, I can tell that there are often many modifications every two years or so. Saying it's the same game is not very honest. FIFA is also almost year after year the best sport game in the industry. I know it's starting to be cool to say that EA sucks but give the guys some credit. FIFA 12 was really a revolution.

New Reply
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast