Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: About the term 'Supernova'

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

About the term 'Supernova'

Lately, I've seen a lot of discussions about Bartolomeo being a supernova or not and I thought I'd post my take on the situation and perhaps clear up some misconceptions.

Personally, I think 'supernova' is a general term for rookie pirates who've managed to earn a bounty of 100+ million pretty quickly (perhaps within a year?). The difference between Luffy's generation and the rest, however, is that there were so many of them and they were hence given the name 'The Eleven Supernovas' which is still used to refer to them. If we compare that to the known supernovas from other years, there is Cavendish from the year before Luffy & Co as well as Caribou, Coribou and Bartolomeo during the timeskip. Clearly, there have been a lot less supernovas before/after Luffy's generation.

However, after a pirate has been active for a longer period, I think he 'loses' that title (similar to how athletes are referred to as rookies and sophomores during their first two years in US sports). In other words, Cavendish is no longer a supernova, and the supernovas after Luffy's generation will eventually lose their title as well. But because they were so many supernovas in Luffy's generation, 'The Eleven Supernovas' has become a title used to refer to that specific set of pirates and has thus become more permanent.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: About the term 'Supernova'

I think the reason the name Supernova is given is because these "stars" in the pirate world grow bright all of a sudden while they travel through and survive the pirate graveyard that is the grand line (at least the paradise half) and they're expected to meet their end quickly once entering the new world. I remember Bellamy was called a super rookie back in Jaya for having gotten his 1st bounty as 55 million belli. He never made it to the halfway point though, which where I guess those who reach it with a 100+ million belli bounty are called Supernovas. Once supernovas enter the new world, they usually either get annihilated or ally with a Yonkou where they're known as associated with a bigger name than being called a Supernova after that point.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anduren View Post
    I remember Bellamy was called a super rookie back in Jaya for having gotten his 1st bounty as 55 million belli.
    It was never specified that was his first bounty. I think his crew just overestimated him.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fox666 View Post
    It was never specified that was his first bounty. I think his crew just overestimated him.
    *shrug* I remembered seeing somewhere that it was.... maybe it was just filler info from the anime that wasn't present in the actual manga. If that's the case, then thanks for the correction. The point I was making was that he was called a super rookie on Jaya for having a 55 million belli bounty (chapter 233 page 2)

But seriously, out of everything I said on topic, you just pick out the one unverifiable piece of info to comment on? I'd rather have liked to read what you think about the term 'Supernova' considering that's what we're supposed to be discussing and not what Bellamy's bounty was which is like WAY off topic here.
    Last edited by Anduren; April 21, 2013 at 06:14 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member junjun2's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I check Japanese raws, prospective rookies are called "novas", and rookies over 100M berry are called "supernovas".
    For example, "Heavy wounds" Albion of 92M berry and "Lip service" Dothi of 88M are written as "Novas", and Bartolomeo, Caribou and Corioou are as "Supernovas".

But I think we don't have to care about that too much because in Japan "novas" are commonly used to call rookies.

6. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the term, "supernova", can include outstanding rookies other than Luffy, Kidd or Law. Caribou, Cavendish, Bartolomeo are listed as a supernova on pixiv's encyclopaedia page so it's not an exclusive term.

The Eleven Supernova is to refer to those who arrived on Sabaody before the Summit war. Nowadays they (along with Blackbeard) seem to be referred to as the Worst Generation.

Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    I'm sure the term, "supernova", can include outstanding rookies other than Luffy, Kidd or Law. Caribou, Cavendish, Bartolomeo are listed as a supernova on pixiv's encyclopaedia page so it's not an exclusive term.

The Eleven Supernova is to refer to those who arrived on Sabaody before the Summit war. Nowadays they (along with Blackbeard) seem to be referred to as the Worst Generation.
    Cavendish isn't referred to as a supernova in the actual manga, but yes, he is probably a supernova too.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    So, it's "超新星" in the RAW, which would translate to "Supernova" - if there weren't those furigana "ルーキー" which overwrite the original meaning and pronounciation. So Bartolomeo is still only "rookie".

So, according to Oda-san:
    kanji 超新星 is literally
    rōmaji Chōshinsei, but now is
    katakana ルーキー, so
    rōmaji Rūkī.

Then:

Rūkī is like Shichibukai, Yonko. A transliteration. But a katakana transliteration.

Supernova is like Warlord, Emperor. A translation. Maybe a literal kanji translation.

Rookie is a english transliteration of the rōmaji transliteration Rūkī.

In sum:

Chōshinsei =
    Supernova =
    Rūkī =
    Rookie =
    First-time New World* 9-digit-bounty Pirate.

*Or Sabaody Archipelago.

So be it. Oda rules!
    Last edited by alelucas; April 22, 2013 at 07:41 AM.

Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

@ alelucas
    Ruby tells us how to read(pronounce) the word. Most of ruby shows the Japanese standard reading of the kanji and English word. But like its Bartolomeo's case, nonstandard ruby is sometimes applied. Why? Generally, it's because the author wants to make the speaker say that way.

So, the standard reading of 超新星 is "Chousinsei", but the ruby is "rookie" in that scene. It shows that the speaker(announcer?) just said "rookie", which doesn't overwrites the original meaning of "Chousinsei". We should take the specific meaning from the kanji word, not from the ruby.

Quote Quote:
    Chousinsei=Chou+Sin+Sei -> Chou=super, Sin=new Sei=star
    The meaning of Chousinsei
    1. supernovas
    2. outstanding rookies (just "sinsei"=novas has this meaning too)
    In English "supernovas" doesn't have the meaning of "outstanding rookies", does it? So when "Chousinsei" is translated to English, people get confused.

Sorry my explanation isn't good, but do you understand what I mean?

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by junjun2 View Post
    @ alelucas, do you understand what I mean?
    I think so. But tell me one thing: you see synonymy between Chōshinsei, Supernova, Rūkī, and Rookie as I do (or Oda does)?

Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alelucas View Post
    I think so. But tell me one thing: you see synonymy between Chōshinsei, Supernova, Rūkī, and Rookie as I do (or Oda does)?
    Supernovas is translated as Chosinsei.
    Rūkī is same as the English word, rookie.
    Only outstanding ones (over 100M berry as far as I read) among all rookies are written as Chosinsei.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by junjun2 View Post
    Supernovas is translated as Chosinsei.
    Rūkī is same as the English word, rookie.
    Only outstanding ones (over 100M berry as far as I read) among all rookies are written as Chosinsei.
    I see. But to me there are no 'rookies' under 100M berries: rookies and supernovas are synonymous. To me the ruby above means that.
    IMO, there is no special designation to call first-time New Word pirates with bounties under 100M berries. They are only pirates, newcomers.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as i know, its not making 100mio+ Bounty in under a year, but just being a pirate with a bounty of 100mio+ reaching Sabaody Archipealgo.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I understood, Oda never used the term Supernova or Nova in the manga aside from being the "base" of the Furigana for "Super Rookie" or "Rookie" - Supernova so far is only used as title in it's original pronounciation. And the difference between a Rookie and a Super Rookie seem to be that Super Rookies have a three-digit million beri bounty, while Rookies have a two-digit bounty.

I wonder if Oda may come up with a term "Hypernova" (極超新星) for bounties beyond a four-digit million (billion/milliard which ever English you use) bounty. and what he uses as Furigana then...

At least the term Ultranova is uber-nonsense.

18. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alelucas View Post
    I see. But to me there are no 'rookies' under 100M berries: rookies and supernovas are synonymous. To me the ruby above means that.
    IMO, there is no special designation to call first-time New Word pirates with bounties under 100M berries. They are only pirates, newcomers.
    Albion whose bounty is 92M and Dothi 88M were stated as rookies. Luffy was also called rookie by Crocodile in Alabasta arc when his bounty was 30M.

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    And the difference between a Rookie and a Super Rookie seem to be that Super Rookies have a three-digit million beri bounty, while Rookies have a two-digit bounty.
    Yeah, So super rookies = Supernovas. But don't forget that super rookies are included among rookies. So Bartolomeo, for example, can be called either rookie, super rookie or Chousinsei=supernova.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast