Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Thread: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

  1. #1
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member apellon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Witcher 3
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Yikes Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    *Discussion may contain some spoilers // respect other people opinion// it is a open conversation*

    1-Are you excited for this new arc ?

    2-what did you think about this arc ? what did u like or not like?


    1-Chimera ant arc is a huge arc , the longest so far ... Almost 1/3 of the manga chapters .
    But personnaly i found it to be the worst arc of togashi so far...

    -the power lvls are all over the place to the point that its hard to follow whats going on ... This is something that never happened before in hxh , since usually hxh is well balanced and thought.Yet in this arc things going crasy.. (Lets go super sayan cause the king is freezer.)
    -the ants : its a very generic plot in essence , some kind of monster appears and you have to save the world ..
    Design/art : almost no backgroud, and weird "monster" designs i mean.. insects really? -_- and an octopus head ?...
    Also i feel bad foe Gon "new ability" , i mean togashi gabe him such an ugly power, kind of messed up gon style along the way, on the other hand killua new abilities are pretty awesome.
    -in term of scenario, it also felt short in that area.. Lot dragging unuseful talks in this arc..
    So to be honnest it left a weird taste in My mouth ..... It wasnt baaddd i mean hxh is always awesome , but it wasnt what i expected.

    That said , the end is pretty cool, and how it conclude has a very interesting impacts on the hxh world.... the perspective of new arcs have never been better...this chairman arc soud promising, if it is ever continued.

    2-even if i didnt enjoy it much , i m still excited and interested in
    Watching this arc .. I wonder if animated, it will comeout better ...
    Last edited by apellon; April 23, 2013 at 07:57 PM.

  2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  3. #2
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    im excited about the anime, i am only on chapter 206 of the manga (i didnt get to read any last night or today ) but it seems epic so far, maybe even as epic as yorknew

  4. #3
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Spectrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    São Paulo
    Country
    Brazil
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,526
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    Quote Originally Posted by apellon View Post
    *Discussion may contain some spoilers*

    1-Are you excited for this new arc ?

    2-what did you think about this arc ?


    1-Chimera ant arc is a huge arc , the longest so far ... Almost 1/3 of the manga chapters .
    But personnaly i found it to be the worst arc of togashi so far...

    -the power lvls are all over the place to the point that its hard to follow whats going on ... This is something that never happened before in hxh , since usually hxh is well balanced and thought.Yet in this arc things going crasy.. (Lets go super sayan cause the king is freezer.)
    -the ants : its a very generic plot in essence , some kind of monster appears and you have to save the world ..
    Design/art : almost no backgroud, and weird "monster" designs i mean.. insects really? -_- and an octopus head ?...
    Also i feel bad foe Gon "new ability" , i mean togashi gabe him such an ugly power, kind of messed up gon style along the way, on the other hand killua new abilities are pretty awesome.
    -in term of scenario, it also felt short in that area.. Lot dragging unuseful talks in this arc..
    So to be honnest it left a weird taste in My mouth ..... It wasnt baaddd i mean hxh is always awesome , but it wasnt what i expected.

    That said , the end is pretty cool, and how it conclude has a very interesting impacts on the hxh world.... the perspective of new arcs have never been better...this chairman arc soud promising, if it is ever continued.

    2-even if i didnt enjoy it much , i m still excited and interested in
    Watching this arc .. I wonder if animated, it will comeout better ...
    Agreed.

    I think Ants arc is the worst for the same reasons, but i'm still interested in watching this arc... maybe because it's a brand new arc in the anime.

  5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  6. #4
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member lasso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Country
    United Nations
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    Don't forget, the hiatus killed this arc, also not going as other shounen has done before, the main protagonist doesn't power up to beat the main villian.

    I think watching it in the anime will help this arc's case, especially from the animation and design aspects, Togashi i think was sometimes drawing with his toes in some chapters -_-", it will seem slow at first until the palace invasion which i think you can't complain about it.

  7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  8. #5
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member xScar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    Japan
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    If you think the art in the arc is bad, please actually purchase the manga to read it instead of viewing 5 year-old scanlations. It annoys me to no end when people say the art sucks when all they've done is illegally read inferior copies of the series and it's tainted their perception of it.

    And you're really going to criticize the design? The Chimera Ant arc has an even larger cast than the Hunter Exam and every single character is unique in every way imaginable. Personality, attacks, physical appearance, etc. The world of Hunter x Hunter is fully of creatures, which should be evident from the beginning of the series. (I think Madhouse particularly pointing out all the monsters during the Hunter Exam really helped it reminding/illustrating that).

    "(Lets go super sayan cause the king is freezer.)"
    Because Gon even faces Meruem? I think this point alone sets this whole arc outside of the generic shonen plots. The main character doesn't even go up against the "bad guy." Not even once. Gon's transformation is not even about "leveling up." His transformation is literally a transformation. Over the series you see this giddy kid constantly get hit in the face with reality, yet stays manically strong through it all. After running around trying to save someone not only dear to himself, but also someone close to his father, when Pitou tells Gon that Kite is dead and cannot be saved, Gon freaking loses it. Yes, he wants to murder Pitou in this instant, but this transformation is not purely to defeat the enemy. It's a release of Gon's world falling apart around him. He's unable to keep it together as he usually does, especially since Killua is not around.

    I haven't read the Ant arc since Viz's original release of it, so I'm a bit hazy on the specifics (plus I wasn't reading it in any analytic way at the time either) -- so I'm going to stop here for now. If I ever do get to re-reading it, I feel as though it would be really easy to write a critical essay on the Ant arc. It has so much to offer and it really tears me apart when people are ignorant of it.
    Last edited by xScar; April 23, 2013 at 06:44 PM.

  9. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
  10. #6
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Australia
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    I think it is the best arc in the series and disagree with everything in OP

    "If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

  11. Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #7
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ContractHunterMEMO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Country
    Mexico
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    I think it is the best arc in the series and disagree with everything in OP
    Completely agree with you. I'll just touch upon a few points the OP made:

    Spoiler show


    These questions make the reader think, or at least did so in my personal experience while reading the arc. I respect the OP's opinions and I may know where he's coming from, but the points made aren't done so in more depth to yield a more compelling argument. I can elaborate more, but I feel that these points have been gone over by other users in related threads, so I'll spare the redundancy for now at least.

  13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  14. #8
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member apellon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Witcher 3
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    Quote Originally Posted by xScar View Post
    If you think the art in the arc is bad, please actually purchase the manga to read it instead of viewing 5 year-old scanlations. It annoys me to no end when people say the art sucks when all they've done is illegally read inferior copies of the series and it's tainted their perception of it.

    And you're really going to criticize the design? The Chimera Ant arc has an even larger cast than the Hunter Exam and every single character is unique in every way imaginable. Personality, attacks, physical appearance, etc. The world of Hunter x Hunter is fully of creatures, which should be evident from the beginning of the series. (I think Madhouse particularly pointing out all the monsters during the Hunter Exam really helped it reminding/illustrating that).

    "(Lets go super sayan cause the king is freezer.)"
    Because Gon even faces Meruem? I think this point alone sets this whole arc outside of the generic shonen plots. The main character doesn't even go up against the "bad guy." Not even once. Gon's transformation is not even about "leveling up." His transformation is literally a transformation. Over the series you see this giddy kid constantly get hit in the face with reality, yet stays manically strong through it all. After running around trying to save someone not only dear to himself, but also someone close to his father, when Pitou tells Gon that Kite is dead and cannot be saved, Gon freaking loses it. Yes, he wants to murder Pitou in this instant, but this transformation is not purely to defeat the enemy. It's a release of Gon's world falling apart around him. He's unable to keep it together as he usually does, especially since Killua is not around.

    I haven't read the Ant arc since Viz's original release of it, so I'm a bit hazy on the specifics (plus I wasn't reading it in any analytic way at the time either) -- so I'm going to stop here for now. If I ever do get to re-reading it, I feel as though it would be really easy to write a critical essay on the Ant arc. It has so much to offer and it really tears me apart when people are ignorant of it.

    First of, why would you believe that anyone not agreeing with you is a ignorant internet scammer ? Are u the only worthy people here? So that you know i bought , yes in a store, over 12 years ago my first hxh book , volume 6... Am i qualified enough ? Yet i still think this arc was the worst on in the serie.
    Do i think it was horrible ? No ofcourse not, its hxh , one of the best manga ever written ...

    Now that aside, i respect ur opinion , and in fact i do agree with you : gon not facing the king is brilliant , in Fact i never said it wasnt so .. I really enjoyed the end wich leads to many bew possibilites and the overall darker side of the plot ... but i personaly think that the more people is not always the best, i rather have quality over quantity . many chapters were not necessary and ending up with a zoo like event , an octopus sniper , and pretty much a copy paste of freezer, is a good indication that togashi overstrecth himself a little too much... Same for gon becoming biscuit like... it was a little disconcerting to me. i would have rather seen him transform some other way ... now thats my opinion..

    Thanks for ur input
    Peace
    Last edited by apellon; April 23, 2013 at 08:36 PM.

  15. #9
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Spectrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    São Paulo
    Country
    Brazil
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,526
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    Quote Originally Posted by apellon View Post
    First of, why would you believe that anyone not agreeing with you is a ignorant internet scammer ? Are u the only worthy people here? So that you know i bought , yes in a store, over 12 years ago my first hxh book , volume 6... Am i qualified enough ? Yet i still think this arc was the worst on in the serie.
    Do i think it was horrible ? No ofcourse not, its hxh , one of the best manga ever written ...

    Now that aside, i respect ur opinion , and in fact i do agree with you : gon not facing the king is brilliant , in Fact i never said it wasnt so .. I really enjoyed the end wich leads to many bew possibilites and the overall darker side of the plot ... but i personaly think that the more people is not always the best, i rather have quality over quantity . many chapters were not necessary and ending up with a zoo like event , an octopus sniper , and pretty much a copy paste of freezer, is a good indication that togashi overstrecth himself a little too much... Same for gon becoming biscuit like... it was a little disconcerting to me. i would have rather seen him transform some other way ... now thats my opinion..

    Thanks for ur input
    Peace
    Exactly!

    I can't stand this arc, it's totally opposite to the others arcs... like i said before in another discussion, this arc is kinda DB's history, demigods that nobody can beat, then a superpower shows up from somewhere and the world can be saved again. HxH's history is different for me.

  16. #10
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member xScar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    Japan
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    Quote Originally Posted by apellon View Post
    First of, why would you believe that anyone not agreeing with you is a ignorant internet scammer ? Are u the only worthy people here? So that you know i bought , yes in a store, over 12 years ago my first hxh book , volume 6... Am i qualified enough ? Yet i still think this arc was the worst on in the serie.
    Do i think it was horrible ? No ofcourse not, its hxh , one of the best manga ever written ...

    Now that aside, i respect ur opinion , and in fact i do agree with you : gon not facing the king is brilliant , in Fact i never said it wasnt so .. I really enjoyed the end wich leads to many bew possibilites and the overall darker side of the plot ... but i personaly think that the more people is not always the best, i rather have quality over quantity . many chapters were not necessary and ending up with a zoo like event , an octopus sniper , and pretty much a copy paste of freezer, is a good indication that togashi overstrecth himself a little too much... Same for gon becoming biscuit like... it was a little disconcerting to me. i would have rather seen him transform some other way ... now thats my opinion..

    Thanks for ur input
    Peace
    I never called anyone a scammer, especially those who disagree with me. However, the majority of the time people read the Ant arc through scanlations and then thrash Togashi for having terrible art throughout the whole arc. That was my only point with that.

    Randomly pulling a page for comparison:
    Spoiler show


    When you said "almost no backgroud," I took that as an attack at the art. And even if you are talking about characters, I'm not sure how that's accurate either.

    Could you go into detail on how you don't think there's "quality" in the characters outside of just listing that there's an octopus character or someone who looks like Frieza? It's hard for me to see how they are not characterized as well as any other secondary character.
    Last edited by xScar; April 23, 2013 at 09:51 PM.

  17. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  18. #11
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    409
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    I think its the best written arc in terms of themes, has the best fights, has one of the best Shonen villains ever, and has the best character development for Gon and Killua.

  19. #12
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member apellon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Witcher 3
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    Quote Originally Posted by xScar View Post
    I never called anyone a scammer, especially those who disagree with me. However, the majority of the time people read the Ant arc through scanlations and then thrash Togashi for having terrible art throughout the whole arc. That was my only point with that.

    Randomly pulling a page for comparison:
    Spoiler show


    When you said "almost no backgroud," I took that as an attack at the art. And even if you are talking about characters, I'm not sure how that's accurate either.

    Could you go into detail on how you don't think theirs "quality" in the characters outside of just listing that there's an octopus character or someone who looks like Frieza? It's hard for me to see how they are not characterized as well as any other secondary character.
    You kind of did indirectly in ur previous message bro ahah but dont worry i really dont mind , you are chill anyway since you read hxh ! .. But i will i dont have time right now , got a exam on heart ischemia and Tx tomorrkw and im writing through my iphone so ill answer later ... But , im not talking about the art itself , i m talking about the concept art aroubd this arc and gow the charachter turned out to be .. But ill get u back on that .

  20. #13
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ContractHunterMEMO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Country
    Mexico
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    Quote Quote:
    Exactly!

    I can't stand this arc, it's totally opposite to the others arcs... like i said before in another discussion, this arc is kinda DB's history, demigods that nobody can beat, then a superpower shows up from somewhere and the world can be saved again. HxH's history is different for me.
    This is probably what Togashi wants the reader to think; he wants the audience to contemplate whether or not this will be like DB or other shounen with villains of impeccable strength and power. Then something happens in the plot (not going into specifics for anime-only watchers) that actually adds depth to characters/villains that we wouldn't think twice of attributing to. He's deconstructing a trope, or a cliche in manga as some sort of mutiny to that archetype. He's trying to convey a message to not just the audience, but to other shounen series as well. This is one of the reasons, IMO, why Togashi is one of the best manga authors and why it makes this arc something that more than meets the eye.

  21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  22. #14
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Mikisi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cave next to river
    Country
    Poland
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    Quote Originally Posted by "Spectrum
    Exactly!

    I can't stand this arc, it's totally opposite to the others arcs... like i said before in another discussion, this arc is kinda DB's history, demigods that nobody can beat, then a superpower shows up from somewhere and the world can be saved again. HxH's history is different for me.
    What the, what the? Only Royal Family is demigods, and nobody can defeat them. Pouf, Youpi and Meruem dead beacuse of poison, and Pitou dead beacuse of Gon power-up, but Togashi don't even have chance to explain that, HxH isn't over, just wait. And every arc in HxH have different history. Hunter Exam is adventurous, without superpowers; Heavens Arena is just fighting (and this arc is more like DB than CA imo) Yorknew is dark, without many battles, action and with good characters, GI is fun, lighthearded, and CA is tragic, sad, with many LOGICAL battles, with great written history, characters development, great main viliian and with ONE unexplained event.

  23. #15
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    Philippines
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts about the : Chimera ant arc

    Hoo boy. It's this topic.

    My personal take on this:

    Spoiler show



    > Basically for everything in this arc, YMMV.
    Last edited by Cinnabar; April 24, 2013 at 05:53 AM.

  24. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts