Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 39 of 118 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 585 of 1764

Thread: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

  1. #571
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    Quote Originally Posted by thsv View Post
    My point being Ozil has playing at his level consistently for far longer than Bale.

    Whilst its a good buy it doesn't really sort out Arsenal's defensive frailties, does it?
    No, it doesn't, but that's life, I guess. We (Chelsea) buy plenty of AMs, but don't address our defensive issues. It's strange the way things are going in England at the moment.

  2. #572
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member syx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    ҂136th Floor
    Country
    Turkey
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,017
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    Quote Originally Posted by thsv View Post
    My point being Ozil has playing at his level consistently for far longer than Bale.
    I don't really get what you are trying to say. Bale's transfer has nothing to do with Özil's. For what it's worth, Real Madrid could have paid £150 million for Bale and I would still end up writing the same post about Özil's transfer fee being too high, even by today's standards.

    Quote Originally Posted by thsv View Post
    Whilst its a good buy it doesn't really sort out Arsenal's defensive frailties, does it?
    Probably not.
    • ⁞ Signature by ThePowha ⁞ •

    • ⁞ Tower of God Section136th FloorToG Section's Lighthouse ⁞ •

  3. #573
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    What defensive frailty? We had the second best defence of the league last season and since January I believe have been the best performing team defensively. There is a myth of defensive frailty at Arsenal which use to be true but no longer stand up to scrutiny. Our defence is alright. Last season we did not screw up because we had a weak defence. It's not defensive frailty that is the issue but cover which is a serious concern. We lack a 4th choice CB and a proper 2nd choice striker.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

  4. #574
    Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    Whilst I would've also preferred more defensive purchases, it's good to see Arsenal spending a bit of money. It shows intent and may change our fortune in attracting world class and high quality players to our side.

    Players' transfer prices are something that noone should be surprised of anymore; after Madrid near doubled their previous world record fee to get Ronaldo from United, we entered a new realm of spending. Just like players earning £100, 000 per week is not a huge wage in comparison, neither is Ronaldo's valuation. I do though, believe that Bale's fee is ridiculous. He's worth a lot of money, maximum in my opinion would be around £50m.
    I was glad to see that the Barca coach spoke out against spending that much money on a football player and also Stoichkov said "if Bale is worth 100m euros, then I'm priceless", which just goes to show how ridiculous it all is.

    Let's all just blame Madrid. Just look at how transfer records have proceeded since the begining:



    The top 5 being all Real Madrid; most of which was in their attempt to win back the Champions League.

  5. #575
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    Expect Platini to turn a blind eye to all that and berate City or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

  6. #576
    Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    LOL Is it me or does he seem to have a particular problem with City? or is it Middle Eastern money in general?

    Anyway, I don't think the acquisition of Ozil can mask the shoddy transfer activity that Arsenal had this summer. It's great to see Wenger stepped it up on the last few days, and for all we know these were on going for the whole summer; I know the Ozil deal was rumoured for a good chunck of the window. Disappointed that we missed out Higuain and also Fellaini going to United; but the latter I was not expecting him to choose us over Moyes.

    Also this is the first year we've apparently outspent Spain for transfers?

  7. #577
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    LOL Is it me or does he seem to have a particular problem with City? or is it Middle Eastern money in general?

    Anyway, I don't think the acquisition of Ozil can mask the shoddy transfer activity that Arsenal had this summer. It's great to see Wenger stepped it up on the last few days, and for all we know these were on going for the whole summer; I know the Ozil deal was rumoured for a good chunck of the window. Disappointed that we missed out Higuain and also Fellaini going to United; but the latter I was not expecting him to choose us over Moyes.

    Also this is the first year we've apparently outspent Spain for transfers?
    You'd think he'd have the most problems with PSG, who engage in financial doping (where you set up a holding company to buy sponsorships, like that cheesy 200m Euro sponsorship PSG has from Qatar something), something that's supposed to be illegal.

    A lot of Spanish teams sold their players and with the new tv deal, a lot of English teams had more money to spend than ever before.

  8. #578
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    In your pants
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    I think Liverpool is the only english team that bought defenders which they really needed...and Moses was a great deal imo, now Coutinho can play in the middle without having to go on the left. Ozil to Arsenal kinda scares me..they're the only team I actually don't like Liverpool to play.

  9. #579
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    Quote Originally Posted by kakashi919 View Post
    I think Liverpool is the only english team that bought defenders which they really needed...and Moses was a great deal imo, now Coutinho can play in the middle without having to go on the left. Ozil to Arsenal kinda scares me..they're the only team I actually don't like Liverpool to play.
    You're right about that. Well, Spurs bought a defender, but they sold some defenders, so they're no better off than they were before. Chelsea, Arsenal, and United all needed defenders, of one type or another, and none of them did that. Chelsea brought some people back from loan, but they're injured, so that doesn't count. City probably needed one more CB.

  10. #580
    Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    In the case of City; Kompany's injury will really hinder them imo and has already shown signs, as they lost to Cardiff in one of their previous matches and weren't particularly impressive against Hull at the weekend. We'll see.

    I've already commented on Arsenal on my last post. Man United's whole transfer dealings was poor. To me it felt like they put too much effort and emphasis in trying to get Fabregas, that they forgot about their other needs. Which left them to rush near the end of the transfer to get players in. From what I read, they attempted last minute deals for Khedira, Sneijder, Contrao( only defender I know they tried to bring in) and only bought in Fellaini at the last minute because he handed in a transfer requested, after having seen an initial move to Old Trafford for him and Baines rebuffed by Everton.

  11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #581
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    That about sums it up, Bob. When you lose the best CB in the world (I don't rate Thiago Silva anywhere close to No. 1), you will have problems.

    Yup. It seemed that Moyes wanted to bring in a massive target so that he wouldn't be looked at as a failure, but in the end, that's exactly what happened. Fellaini only came because he put in a transfer request and Martinez probably didn't want to deal with an unhappy player. There were plenty of affordable players out there. Look at some of the deals that Southampton did. Pablo Dani Osvaldo went for like 15m and he's probably a better AM than everyone on United, except perhaps Kagawa. Rooney is ostensibly a striker, so I'm not counting him.

    We made some deals, but nothing that really improved us. We spent 56m pounds on senior players and I can't say that we're any better off before the window opened. I'm not counting small deals for prospects, because we always make those.

  13. #582
    Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member thsv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    36
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    277
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    What defensive frailty? We had the second best defence of the league last season and since January I believe have been the best performing team defensively. There is a myth of defensive frailty at Arsenal which use to be true but no longer stand up to scrutiny. Our defence is alright. Last season we did not screw up because we had a weak defence. It's not defensive frailty that is the issue but cover which is a serious concern. We lack a 4th choice CB and a proper 2nd choice striker.
    That's what I get for not going into detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    LOL Is it me or does he seem to have a particular problem with City? or is it Middle Eastern money in general?
    He's in it just to protect the old european elite. I'd have more faith in FFP if there didn't appear to be so many loopholes and slaps on the wrist in lieu of proper punishments.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    You're right about that. Well, Spurs bought a defender, but they sold some defenders, so they're no better off than they were before.
    AVB's whole policy around defenders is perplexing. He likes to hold a high line but lets Bassong and Caulker go and keeps Gallas and Dawson? Don't get me wrong I like them both but can't understand why he got rid of the two faster players.
    Quote Originally Posted by syx View Post
    I don't really get what you are trying to say. Bale's transfer has nothing to do with Özil's. For what it's worth, Real Madrid could have paid £150 million for Bale and I would still end up writing the same post about Özil's transfer fee being too high, even by today's standards.
    My point being Ozil was ripping defences apart when Bale was being offered as make-weight in transfers (which then broke down because clubs preferred the money). Bale's had a good three years where he's played above most people's expectations. Can he keep it up? Only time will tell.
    Last edited by thsv; September 05, 2013 at 01:04 PM.

  14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  15. #583
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    In your pants
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    Just realised Liverpool only have 1 CDM in Lucas...although Henderson and Allen can play there, they're no Lucas. Maybe they'll change that in January, but if Lucas is i out for some months through injury, then we'll have to depend even more on the defenders and Mignolet. But I wonder how they will line up when Suarez returns...maybe bench Henderson and start Moses on the left with Suarez on the right alongside Coutinho in the middle? Or probably try two strikers up front? Would be interesting to see how BR does this.

    If it was me I would use Coutinho as a CF behind Sturridge and Suarez 3 defenders, Moses,Gerrard and Henderson in front of Lucas who stays even deeper right in front of the defense. Or use Juve's 3-5-2 tactics

  16. #584
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    According to FIFA, Belgium are now ranked sixth in the world.

  17. #585
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

    They've been playing really well. I think its their highest position ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

New Reply
Page 39 of 118 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts