Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 9 of 102 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v3

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Probably. Ramires is always a hard tackler.

Well, assuming Jose returns, (As we've qualified for the CL, barring some insane mathematical possibilities that involve Spurs scoring at least 10 and us losing to Everton by 7 goals, Jose's returning. Well, Spurs are down 16 in GD, and because we own the tiebreaker against them, Spurs would need to gain a +-17 GD in one match, which just isn't happening.) you'd think that Frank would stay.
    I think if Jose does return to Chelsea, then yes, the first thing he'll do is to surely renew Lampard's contract. I think 3rd place is decided now, Arsenal now gotta maintain the wins to make sure Spurs do not qualify for the Champions League next season and at least preserve some pride there.

Quote Quote:
    Ah, I see. What kind of new job are you looking for?

Indeed. I couldn't get a ticket for Chelsea vs Spurs last March, but in the end, I was happy that I didn't go as Chelsea vs Spurs was a snoozefest 0-0 draw.
    Something that isn't hospitality and more Multimedia based.

Chelsea home tickets had a reputation of notoriously expensive a while back, I dunno if that is still the case. I've wanted to attend a Villa home game for a while but just never got around to it. If they stay up(which it's looking likely to be the case), then I'll definitely go to a game next season.

Quote Quote:
    He came on late against United last week for West Brom. I think that he's probably happy that he didn't get relegated, but I think that the major problem is that West Brom wouldn't sell him.
    I think with the baggage and unsettling nature his presence brings to the dressing room, it's best to ship him off to whatever club is willing to pay The Baggie's estimation value of him.

Quote Quote:
    I saw. I thought Swansea should've won, actually, and it was dreadful that Rio got the winner.
    Yeah Swansea were quite comfortable for a long period of that game in the second half and looked like the team most likely to score. It's hilarioud for Rio to score; first goal in 4-5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzee View Post
    You both support Arsenal though and you live right next door to Villa? ;/
    I actually live next to St Andrew's(which is even worse); like 5 mins.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    I think if Jose does return to Chelsea, then yes, the first thing he'll do is to surely renew Lampard's contract. I think 3rd place is decided now, Arsenal now gotta maintain the wins to make sure Spurs do not qualify for the Champions League next season and at least preserve some pride there.
    It appears that Jose will return, although who knows. If Jose does return, we know Lamps' contract will be renewed because he and Lamps are bros.

3rd place should be decided, buy you never know. Arsenal have to not slip up against Wigan. I'm rooting for Arsenal to get 4th, btw.

Something that isn't hospitality and more Multimedia based.
    I see.

Chelsea home tickets had a reputation of notoriously expensive a while back, I dunno if that is still the case. I've wanted to attend a Villa home game for a while but just never got around to it. If they stay up(which it's looking likely to be the case), then I'll definitely go to a game next season.
    If you don't buy them early enough, they can be. If you're a member of the supporter's club and live there and can get yourself a ticket at any time, it's not bad at all. Arsenal tickets can be more.

Why not? Just go, or are you busy every single Saturday and Sunday?

Have you been to Highbury or the Emirates?

I think with the baggage and unsettling nature his presence brings to the dressing room, it's best to ship him off to whatever club is willing to pay The Baggie's estimation value of him.
    They should, but who knows. If the Baggies lose Lukaku and Shane Long, they'll have some problems up front.

On other news, I'm rooting for Watford to win the Playoff as I'd like to see Zola managing in the Premier League.

Yeah Swansea were quite comfortable for a long period of that game in the second half and looked like the team most likely to score. It's hilarioud for Rio to score; first goal in 4-5 years
    Routledge really should've finished his chance right after Michu's goal.

There were some other chances that really should've been finished.

They said it was his first goal in five years.

I actually live next to St Andrew's(which is even worse); like 5 mins.
    Would you be less happy if you lived next to White Hart Lane, or would you be happier because then you'd be living in London?
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; May 13, 2013 at 06:33 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Hohohoho. Is anyone watching the Rooney saga begin unfolding? Hohohoh.

I'm calling it now, within the next 10 years Manchester will be following their northern neighbours Leeds into obscurity. 74 all over again. 74 all over again.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Imp, I don't know about obscurity, but I definitely don't think Moyes is the right choice. The people who said that, "Moyes is cut from the same cloth as Fergie" just made me laugh. I don't like Fergie, and I think that he was a pretty disrespectful person, but there's no denying how well he could inspire the troops.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Disrespectful? In what way?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    Disrespectful? In what way?
    You ever listen to his news conferences? I know that you're not supposed to agree with ref decisions that were wrong but went in your favor (as they went in your favor, they were the right decision), but the lengths that Fergie went to at times were really questionable.

I've never heard another manager go to the lengths he does to deny the truth. Plenty of other managers would admit that there were questionable calls, but not Fergie. Even an extremely blatant wrong call would be absolutely correct.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont understand. You get fined for criticising the referees in public (questioning the integrity of match officials). It's only worth it if your team was on the wrong end. Why risk a fine for no gain? Everyone understands this including the wiley british press. They spend the whole press conference (of which there are 1 or 2 a week) to get something controversial out of it. Almost all managers dont fall for it (and it is falling for it), the ones that do usually fail at understanding the media and inevitably suffer for it in other areas or have other motives in mind other than fair play.

Besides, hypocrisy is the norm for managers. For example, have you not seen the "I didnt see it" stuff from Wenger? Or the crap Sam Allardyce got away with? Ferguson stuff gets more attention because of his and uniteds higher profile. I dislike Ferguson but not because of that, you cant really blame him for what is the norm (you can hate him for being a cunt though )

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Even Brendan Rodgers, and by extension Rafa (for saying he didn't see it either, damn Liverpool man), was getting on my nerves with the, "I didn't see the bite."

If we'd still had Jose, I think that Fergie might be looked at in a much different light.

I do think that Fergie gets overhyped in some ways, but there's no denying that he's a good manager. At times, calls have gone his way, but every successful manager needs that. Look at the CL and some of the luck Pep's had there.
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; May 13, 2013 at 09:42 AM.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea he might have won less. But managers at clubs like City and Chelsea will never really get the full praise they deserve from the media compared to other club managers for their achievements imo. They always have a -1 penalty on their praise level haha. Jose was not an exception. If he was at any other club with that record it would still be talked about.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Wigan are relegated. All eyes now shift to Arsenal vs Newcastle.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

AWwwww actually wanted Wigan to stay up... but don't want Spurs to get the 4th CL spot.. so, hardluck Wigan

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Wigan are relegated. All eyes now shift to Arsenal vs Newcastle.
    Newcastle no longer care. Hohohoho, one final hurdle and yea....If 4th was a championships, Arsenal would be World Champions at it.

14. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    Newcastle no longer care. Hohohoho, one final hurdle and yea....If 4th was a championships, Arsenal would be World Champions at it.
    Arsenal are the better team, so I'd much rather see them take 4th than Spurs.

Given that European money is allocated by the place you finished in the league, 4th isn't quite the trophy that Wenger makes it out to be. You get a good amount less money than 3rd does and quite a lot less than the Champion does.

However, with the new tv deal for the Premier League, the money that comes in from the CL mainly just helps you club buy better players (so it'll be important to the top, top cubs), but otherwise, it's now less relevant than it was in the past because every club will have more money to spend.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

There's something I never understood. Usually, most Arsenal fans complain that "meh we never sign anyone, Wegner sucks, leave the club you cheap bastard" but... Arteta, Santi, Podolski, Giroud, Nacho and a huge etc... I wouldn't call them cheap.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    There's something I never understood. Usually, most Arsenal fans complain that "meh we never sign anyone, Wegner sucks, leave the club you cheap bastard" but... Arteta, Santi, Podolski, Giroud, Nacho and a huge etc... I wouldn't call them cheap.
    Arsenal fans are upset that Arsenal continually sells its best players. Cesc, Nasri, RVP, the like.

Well, the thing is that none of those were expensive buys. To some degree, they were all 8-14m bargains and while they're all good players (Cazorla's the pick of the bunch), there's a certain lack of intent from your club when they're not making or challenging for expensive transfers. Arsenal fans look around at the immediate competition and see United spending 20m on players, City spending 30m on players, Chelsea buying whoever they want, and they look at Arsenal and see the acquisition of a player for 10m. 10m for a player isn't bad, but a lot of times, you're not going to be getting the highest caliber talent for that price.

There's another thing as well. Wenger does this silly wage system where everyone gets at least a certain amount, so even the bit part players get paid well and it reduces the amount of cash that Arsenal has to spend on better players for wages.

Arsenal also haven't won a trophy in eight or nine seasons now, not even the League Cup.

New Reply
Page 9 of 102 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast