Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: How do you like Naruto as a main character

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superb! I can't think of a better shounen hero!

6 10.34%
  • He's not all bad, but could have been handled better.

14 24.14%
  • I liked Part I Naruto... Part II? Not so much...

22 37.93%
  • I actually prefer Part II Naruto to his Part I counterpart.

5 8.62%
  • I don't like him at all... but I blame Kishi for it!

8 13.79%
  • I hate him basically just for the sake of hating him.

1 1.72%
  • Meh... he sucks... but he's Minato's son so I won't admit it!

2 3.45%
New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Naruto so unsympathetic as a main hero?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LnDRash's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is Naruto so unsympathetic as a main hero?

Thats something I've been thinking about, since usually I actually tend to love those retarded shounen main protagonists like Luffy or Natsu Dragneel... but in Naruto's case..? Not so much.

I realize this is just a personal opinion (although I'm far from being alone) and there are people who actually enjoy Naruto, in which case feel free to ignore this topic or share your views as for why you believe him to be likeable.

For me, it basically comes down to two factors.

1. Kishimoto fails at humor

Well, not completely, since Jiraiya actually used to be pretty damn funny and Gai is nothing to contemn either. But imho when it comes to Naruto's stupidity the comical aspect is just severely lacking and as a result Naruto seems more pathetic then funny.

Lets just take Luffy as an example:

Spoiler show

He's seriously retarded, no doubt about that. I'd even say more so then Naruto. But at the same time he never seems pathetic because he can handle himself and thus his stupidity just becomes hilarious.

In Naruto's case however:

Spoiler show

Usually his retardedness only gets him into trouble from which he requires saving by others. The fact that most of the time these moments of retardedness are preceded by some smug bragging makes it seem even more pathetic and instead of laughing one just can't help but to think "geez... what a loser".

2. Naruto's self-confidence makes him look arrogant

Point 1 still wouldn't be all that bad in itself, but in combination with point 2 it really becomes fatal.

So basically you have a dumbass like this:

Spoiler show

who's despite the sheer amount of power he's wielding almost clue- and helpless when not constantly being backed up by others.

Still not a deal breaker in itself... but if this same guy suddenly starts acting like this:

Spoiler show

... in front of opponents he has no business beating on his own, then it starts getting annoying.

I know this is a theme of the manga... "Your friends are the most important, you're nothing without them blablabla" and that message in itself is nothing bad. In case of Fairy Tail I actually really enjoy it, even though its often completely over the top and cheesy and thus gets a lot of critique.

Imho Kishi is overdoing it though, because regardless of how heavily reliant Fairy Tail or (to a lesser extend) One Piece characters are on the magical power of friendship, they never seem like sitting ducks even while on their own. They simply draw power from remembering their bonds or they demonstrate teamwork while fighting other groups of people, not single persons 5 against 1 like in case of Kakuzu (just for example) and then being smug about it.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by LnDRash; April 24, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
    Click here for what I consider the definition of "simply brilliant"

Quote Originally Posted by syx View Post
    He was once a very charismatic, kind, special and inspiring person. LnDRash was a premium brand, now this brand is called LnDTRash!

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 7 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is Naruto so unsympathetic as a main hero?

I love naruto as a main character

he perseveres, works hard, he went through hell as a kid, never had a mom and dad around
    he trained very hard and developed some amazing and powerful techniques even if he had a little help along the way
    but he came from being the class reject who was shunned by the entire village

to a hero who not only saved the village, but will save the world

there is nothing to hate about naruto as a character

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kid Chameleone's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree completely. the problem is mainly naruto's confidence which you pointed out. hes never really had to face real danger or struggle to achieve something on his own, he always has someone holding his hand and some big power up he can fall back on so its built him a level of arrogance which he thinks he can take on the world. its like rich kids who have everything given to them so they think like is easy and when i say this i dont say it about his background. i know he grew up alone and all that garbage but still he has a level of confidence that he shouldnt have because he hasnt earned it on his own, its been given to him by various peoples holding his hands and given him everything he needs. He really shouldnt be that confident

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member liductan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I once loved the idiot. I disagree that the problem is his confident. He's always been cocky, especially in the beginning of part 1, even though he knew he was nothing. It was his way of making himself feel better and striving to become better. I remember naruto admitting he was weak at some point. He's stubborn, so he would never say it a loud to anyone.The only thing holding naruto back is character growth. He stop evolving. Naruto is repetitive as it gets. He hasn't matured much. I wish there were people like itachi and jiraya around. You see, even though they believe in naruto. They are not afraid to tell him the truth at the same time. Right now, everyone is right behind him and holding his hand and pushing his idiotic gospel forward.
    Last edited by liductan; April 24, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
    I have a black-belt in sarcasm, a degree in smartass and experienced in Bitch. Yep, I am damn ninja..

---you have been warned..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DarkPrinceRevan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Naruto is case of a once compelling main character whose undergone some huge Flanderization to a point of being a one dimensional simplified version of Part 1 Naruto.

What original started with a lack of proper schooling due to his upbringing and short attention span have been turned into full on retarded and stupid moments. From a narrative perspective you need someone in a story to not know everything so we the audience can get a explanation on a subject at the same time a character does. Which is fine if done right but Kishi has been using Naruto's lack of understanding for so long as a framing device he has to purposely make him look dumb to explain things that regular conversation would suffice.

Naruto's slow grasp of the obvious also played into the humor but between the anime playing everything up for laughs and Kishi tryna keep him simple hes acts and behaves act the mental age of a 12 yeard old. Which is sad because in some key areas part 1 Naruto was alot smarter then he acted. To me Kishi doesnt know how to make Naruto as wise as he should be from all his experiences and have that idiot hero charm. I believe he could if tried but at this point Kishi acts like he needs Naruto to be dumb enough blindly justify his overly idealistic ninja way.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Xiraiya's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say Natsu is really lovable as most of his wins are always decided by eating flames and the power of Friendship... which is boring and more or less lazy writing.

My issue with Naruto is the fact he's been stupid for most of the series and hasn't evolved properly, I liked him Part 1 because as a kid his personality worked in his favor, he was a troll and a prankster but at the same time never gave up despite his issues, that worked well and people liked it, however now that it's been like 3-5 years in the story and he's pretty much the same, he wears the same shit, in peace times he has the intelligence of a 12 year old when he's about 16/17 now, he's hard to take seriously and when he's confident he just sounds Naive, even though you know it'll work out anyway for the plot's sake.

Luffy on the othe hand never changed much either, but he never needed to, he's always made it known there is more to him than meets the eye, he's crazy and ridiculous because he likes having fun, but deep down he's very clever and very aware of things around him, where as with Naruto, you never see anything else there, about all that goes on in his mind is Ramen, Sakura and Sasuke, and world peace.

If Naruto had grown, matured and become more of a hero who has to do what he has to, to save the world, rather than stay as the kid that never gave up then I do think he'd be a much better character. Hashirama is basically Naruto done correctly.
    Last edited by Xiraiya; April 24, 2013 at 09:00 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ninjabot's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@LnDRash:Everything brought up in your post is exactly why I generally dislike most main characters in manga/anime. My favorite characters, by manga, are:

Vegeta (Dragonball Z)
    Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto)
    Tokiya Mikagami (from Flame of Recca)
    Tao Ren (Shaman King)
    Hiei (Yu Yu Hakusho)
    Saito (Rouroni Kenshin)
    Byakuya (Bleach)
    Death The Kid and Kilik Lunge (Soul Eater)
    ...and though I'm only recently getting into Fairy Tail, Gray, Steeldragondude and whatshisfacewiththelightning.

I understand believing in yourself. I understand hard-work. But I also understand that it's enough to just show someone working hard. They don't have to be dumbed down so that the working hard looks like they're working even harder. Also, when we get a character who's more "genius" like, their powers are less blown out of proportion to the other characters than the main character, and so victories from them always actually feel earned. Examples?

Hiei is the child of an ice apparition. So him using fire as his primary attack (the hottest fire at that) is badass, because he overcame the circumstances of his birth for that strength. Yusuke? He was strong, but the moment he wasn't strong enough to win, what happened? That's right: secret power from outta nowhere thanks to the "death" of a friend. Fuck you Yusuke. Fuck you.

That's neither here nor there. I wanna get the point across that I don't actually hate-hate Naruto. And I'll also be honest when saying that not all the moments of dumbassery are because he's genuinely dumb (part of me believes that he hit Nagato with that Rasengan to try to see if his personality was still there... but I don't fully believe it).
    Last edited by ninjabot; April 24, 2013 at 09:47 PM.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Naruto2011's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like narutos ethics but I believe he needs to grow up and needs some character developement, he is too static

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Naruto used to be good in Part I, he had personality, life, and uniqueness. Then he showed maturity up to the Pain arc, even being able to match with the Kumo ninjas. The war made him degrade though, or at least getting free unlimited powerups from Kyuubi and possibly talkin to Nagato again.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted xXan's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Naruto but Kishi does make him look like a damn retard at times for his stupid comic relief moments...

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member otomo20's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont like it when his character gets dumbed down so he can be " funny" those parts suck, but other than that he can be quite compelling sometimes, I loved his conversation with Pain about the circle of hate, its just sad that we arent treated to those talks enough.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted xXan's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otomo20 View Post
    I dont like it when his character gets dumbed down so he can be " funny" those parts suck, but other than that he can be quite compelling sometimes, I loved his conversation with Pain about the circle of hate, its just sad that we arent treated to those talks enough.
    Yeah now we get:

Tobi: Friends bad!
    Naruto: Friends good!

And so on over and over... Good thing Kakashi and Obito left the battlefeld...

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Xiraiya's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Naruto used to be good in Part I, he had personality, life, and uniqueness. Then he showed maturity up to the Pain arc, even being able to match with the Kumo ninjas. The war made him degrade though, or at least getting free unlimited powerups from Kyuubi and possibly talkin to Nagato again.
    I agree his method of dealing with the Kumo Ninja looked like he was starting to reveal a new more mature/badass Naruto, unfortunately not, that scene with them was also the death of Sakura's character.

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

i think kishi is not very good at creating humor and thats why naruto's retardness looks lame rather than funny .Oda on the other hand is THE MASTER
    still,i dont think naruto is unsympathetic ,maybe just badly developed .especially in part 2 . he was the charm of the show in part 1 .him and lee's drunken fist

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ryr's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that the "family vs village" philosophical struggle underlying Sasuke's situation has more depth than the "solitary vs friendship" theme underlying Naruto's debate with Obito, mainly because it is a lot harder to completely let go of your familial bonds for greater good.

I mean, there's an entire manga (i.e. Kouga Ninja Scrolls) taking on this subject and in the end everyone failed. They all placed their own families and clans above everything else until both sides were eliminated to the last person.

So, it's not an easy thing.

New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast