Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)

View Poll Results: How do you like Naruto as a main character

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superb! I can't think of a better shounen hero!

6 10.34%
  • He's not all bad, but could have been handled better.

14 24.14%
  • I liked Part I Naruto... Part II? Not so much...

22 37.93%
  • I actually prefer Part II Naruto to his Part I counterpart.

5 8.62%
  • I don't like him at all... but I blame Kishi for it!

8 13.79%
  • I hate him basically just for the sake of hating him.

1 1.72%
  • Meh... he sucks... but he's Minato's son so I won't admit it!

2 3.45%
New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Naruto so unsympathetic as a main hero?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member IChallengeYou!'s Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is Naruto so unsympathetic as a main hero?

Just IMAGINE if Obito and Naruto would be suckered inside the S/T world thing...FOREVER.

The joy of being free.

Free of Obruto's Brain Tumor. I'll Tiger Uppercut the ceiling if that happens.

I can live with Psycopaths, Lunatics, and Useless, but I cannot take much more of their daft ramblings anymore.
    Last edited by IChallengeYou!; April 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Hauradrims3's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny how I really liked Naruto in part1 with his random moments of epic glory out of nowhere and found Sasuke annoying with his quest for revenge. And now in part2 I find Naruto super massively arrogant/annoying and by default I have to like Sasuke to keep me interested in the manga.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Another who enjoyed Part 1 Naruto. Back then, even though he could be called dumb or foolish, it never really seem like that was all he was. Not only did he have some generally genius moments, but even when he did do something stupid (like fart in the Chuunin Exam) he acted like a ninja and took advantage of it. He actually seem like a hero. Not to mention the whole fighting against fate thing that was going on, which was pretty cool.

Now we got a hero who literally is as dumb and foolish as he seems. who makes stupid mistakes and says dumb things in the middle of battle when he should be being the hero. Who for the most part isn't even allowed to be competent in battle on his own. And of course, the fact that he's now the destined one with the prefect genes who will save the world with just his belief, even though we've been shown numerous ninjas with the same beliefs and personality fail...

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xiraiya View Post
    I agree his method of dealing with the Kumo Ninja looked like he was starting to reveal a new more mature/badass Naruto, unfortunately not, that scene with them was also the death of Sakura's character.
    Still crying at the thought of how his character got worse, with very rare good moments in between. I was seriously so ecstatic at Naruto after his fight with Pain, and I hoped to see a more mature Naruto. I mean, Sasuke's character right now is 100000x better than Naruto's.
    Quote Originally Posted by shinsengumi View Post
    i think kishi is not very good at creating humor and thats why naruto's retardness looks lame rather than funny .Oda on the other hand is THE MASTER
    still,i dont think naruto is unsympathetic ,maybe just badly developed .especially in part 2 . he was the charm of the show in part 1 .him and lee's drunken fist
    The thing is, he's making Naruto worse for humor. Luffy is generally an idiot and always a laidback guy, he can do stupid things and be funny. Not to mention, he doesn't put himself in danger or gets owned. Kishi made Naruto uncharacteristically stupid against Nagato and devolved. Naruto guessing how the Third Raikage got hurt was more like him, Part I or Part II Naruto, while his screwup with Nagato was not like him at all. Naruto NEVER made that kind of mistake before, ever.

Naruto was developed beautifully and then out of nowhere he lost all development and even undeveloped. Naruto's power never came from his fists, but his words and ability to connect. I personally found him to be inspiration and a great character with emotional depth of Grand Canyon. When he fought Daruto, it showed even more complexity. Naruto being or becoming a complex character was awesome, not an idiot who says only one thing.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LnDRash's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xiraiya View Post
    I wouldn't say Natsu is really lovable as most of his wins are always decided by eating flames and the power of Friendship... which is boring and more or less lazy writing.
    I can't really disagree. He's one-dimensional and predictable. But he's also funny and his foolishness doesn't make him look pathetic, since he usually gets himself out of the mess he creates. Something Naruto is lacking...

Oh yeah... and whenever he snaps and goes on dragon rampage he also has some of the most badass power-up art in shounen history, which most of the time compensates for the friendship-asspullness

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabot
    @LnDRash:Everything brought up in your post is exactly why I generally dislike most main characters in manga/anime. My favorite characters, by manga, are:

Vegeta (Dragonball Z)
    Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto)
    Tokiya Mikagami (from Flame of Recca)
    Tao Ren (Shaman King)
    Hiei (Yu Yu Hakusho)
    Saito (Rouroni Kenshin)
    Byakuya (Bleach)
    Death The Kid and Kilik Lunge (Soul Eater)
    ...and though I'm only recently getting into Fairy Tail, Gray, Steeldragondude and whatshisfacewiththelightning.
    Piccolo
    Kabuto/Orochimaru (it used to be Neji but Kishi managed to neglect him so much that once he died I couldn't even give more then a shrug anymore)
    Kenpachi & Ulquiorra

Haven't read the other ones, so I can't really say anything about those :P

Vegata was cool as well, but a bit too dickish for me to really like him. My main beef with Dragon Ball was that the whole supporting staff got pretty much useless. Toriyama turned all of them into useless passive bystanders and it all turned into Goku, Goku and even more Goku with some occasional Vegeta mixed in.

Remember when Piccolo was supposed to fight Kaioshin after such a long time and then forfeited before the match even began? That literally felt like a punch in the face.

Sadly Kishimoto is guilty of the same by now. First he creates an awesome sidecast and then he's all like "meh... too much characters... too much work... I need to ignore those".

Thats why Fairy Tail, despite having its fair share of flaws as well, gets so much credit from me. Mashima has created a large cast of pretty awesome characters and he actually makes constant use of them.

Now, before I derail too much. I usually tend to like either those tough badasses like Kenpachi, Erza, Gajeel and Roronoa Zoro or the quiet, versatile guys like Piccolo, Kabuto, Ulquiorra or DC's Martian Manhunter.

But I don't have any problem at all with silly-billy's either. Like I said, I actually love Luffy & Natsu and I utterly adore Juvia Loxar (sorry Tsunade-Hime, you're outclassed here).

Naruto actually has a lot of qualities which should put him into the list of characters I love, since lets face it, he's actually pretty damn tough and gutsy and I can easily see him pull off stunts like this:

Spoiler show

Its just the damn issues I've mentioned in the OP.

Its like if Kishimoto tries to make the typical dumb, funny, powerful and determined Shounen hero who's driven by his desire to protect his friends... but doesn't know how and instead writes a mess of a character which seems incompetent but at the same time full of himself... which I'd have to say is one of the few types of people who can actually manage to get on my nerves IRL
    Last edited by LnDRash; April 25, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
    Click here for what I consider the definition of "simply brilliant"

Quote Originally Posted by syx View Post
    He was once a very charismatic, kind, special and inspiring person. LnDRash was a premium brand, now this brand is called LnDTRash!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ninjabot's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LnDRash
    Vegata was cool as well, but a bit too dickish for me to really like him. My main beef with Dragon Ball was that the whole supporting staff got pretty much useless. Toriyama turned all of them into useless passive bystanders and it all turned into Goku, Goku and even more Goku with some occasional Vegeta mixed in.

Remember when Piccolo was supposed to fight Kaioshin after such a long time and then forfeited before the match even began? That literally felt like a punch in the face.
    Yeah, that pissed me off. I like Piccolo too. And Tenshinhan. Part of the reason I loved Naruto in Part 1 was because even though Sasuke and Naruto were so strong, they weren't far and away too powerful for the other characters to be of worth, and fights could be won with strategy rather than a new powerup (jinchuuriki in general ruined that). Neji was my second fav.

Quote Quote:
    Now, before I derail too much. I usually tend to like either those tough badasses like Kenpachi, Erza, Gajeel and Roronoa Zoro or the quiet, versatile guys like Piccolo, Kabuto, Ulquiorra or DC's Martian Manhunter.
    Fuck Kenpachi. LOL. I hate Ichigo, because he's cocky and all of his opponents are centuries older than him, but he's somehow as good at kenjutsu as them? BS. Kenpachi is just a more experienced Ichigo. In recent chapters he's out Ichigo'd Ichigo by being some fucking prodigy or some shit, killing Captains while he's a kid. Fuck him. Ulquiorra's a hollowfied Byakuya, so he's awesome too. And Manhunter is a more stoic Superman, which is good. Hate this damn New 52 crap though.

And I'm okay with silly characters too. Lupin is awesome. And Dan Hibiki. And Bang Shishigami. And Chocolove. It's just all the characters I listed are genuinely strong characters who know when to despense with the funny and get the job done without some friendship banter. And they even know when to accept that they don't have what it takes to win. They still fight to their deaths (two of em' atleast), because they're fighters. It's what they do. But it's a good loss. Niether of these guys are main characters though, which explains that situation. If they were shounen main characters they'd probably just win all the time. And then I'd hate them.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shahdan's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

No no no, you got it wrong; he's a genius of 'hardwork'.

By the way, something was definitely 'up' in that panel. Yet our 'genius of hard work' just fails at general intellectual capacity.

I gotta say, I really like Solf J. Kimblee from FMA Manga and brotherhood. That guy was brilliant.
    Last edited by shahdan; April 25, 2013 at 05:13 PM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shahdan View Post
    By the way, something was definitely 'up' in that panel. Yet our 'genius of hard work' just fails at general intellectual capacity.
    I'm sure his brain was working as hard as it could though.

Quote Quote:
    I gotta say, I really like Solf J. Kimblee from FMA Manga and brotherhood. That guy was brilliant.
    Agreed. FMA had some very cool characters as well. Greed and Roy Mustang where pretty bad ass as well. And for main-character standarts Edward Elric was nothing to scoff at either. Although FMA generally feels a bit different from the typical action shounen like Naruto/Bleach/OP/FT.

He was once a very charismatic, kind, special and inspiring person. LnDRash was a premium brand, now this brand is called LnDTRash!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Naruto2011's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like blonde headed ninjas that can teleport...
    Haha too bad minato didn't raise his son or that would've made naruto far more BA not to mention vetsatile

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member marshall313's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is naruto so unsympathetic as a main hero?

You should make a poll on that one .

I've read alot of comments from sasuke's fans. Ofcourse, they hate naruto to the max. Yea, naruto isn't as cool as sasuke, but he's far from your so called unsympathetic.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

There you have your poll. I hope you are satisfied with the offered options ;p

And why should Sasuke fans "hate Naruto to the max"? I don't see why someone would have to hate another character simply because he likes another one...

Thats like if I would hate Jiraiya because I like Oro... makes no bloody sense at all to me. These are fictional characters... so exercising some kind of solidarity is pretty damn pointless.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member liductan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never understood this but sometimes it does seem that way..If someone likes sauske, then they hate naruto and vice versa..I've always liked both but one more than the other..Except now..
    I figured a long time ago that kish was trying to create a second goku..failed miserably..

I really like this list..looks like you can read my mind..
    mind if I add on to it..I can't resist

Spoiler show
    Last edited by liductan; April 25, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
    I have a black-belt in sarcasm, a degree in smartass and experienced in Bitch. Yep, I am damn ninja..

---you have been warned..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved Part 1 Naruto, that was Naruto done right. He was the underdog, Kishi just kept on making me want more and more because I wanted to see Naruto grow and become stronger and prove all those people who thought he was a loser wrong. But then Part 2 comes, and he eventually gets recognized as a genius, and now he's basically a savior......I mean he's giving the whole Ninja Alliance Army the Kyuubi cloak chakra he used to fight Sasuke at the end of Part 1. It's not even about stealth and strategy so much any more, it has a lot more to do with bigasss explosion jutsu's and raw power....on top of that, unfortunately Part 2 kind of contradicts Part 1, because Neji ended up being right.

Naruto told him that your fate isn't decided from the moment you were born, but then we end up finding out he's Minato's son.....well everyone wanted that to happen, me included. But then we got the whole child of prophecy thing....yeah that's the real contradiction. A big one too. Naruto told Neji he was wrong, but in the end Naruto is the"chosen" one, so it kind of was fate that he would become what he has. Also, Naruto deciding he has to bring back Sasuke no matter what.....and even saying he isn't fit to be Hokage if he can't bring him back...... That's where it really went downhill. Once Kishi made Sasuke start going crazy, and consequently having him step farther and farther over the line, it made Naruto's obsession with bringing him back look dumber and dumber, and more and more childish.....Sasuke became a criminal and a real threat. That doesn't take priority over the village and all your other friends that didn't turn into total psychotic emo douchebags.

And that obsession with Sasuke plus the theme of hatred vs peace ended up swallowing Naruto's personality. Way too many discussions about the cycle of hatred and peace...unfortunately Jiraiya's right too, it's extremely hard to think of an answer to breaking that cycle, near impossible. That and the way Kishi handled Sasuke turning over a new leaf makes me think Kishi won't be able to give a good reason when it happens.

Basically, he grew in strength in Part 2, but that's about it. He was much more likeable as an underdog who wanted to become the Hokage, the most respected person in the village, rather than an overpowered chosen hero of destiny obsessed with bringing Sasuke home.
    Last edited by exacta; May 07, 2013 at 05:01 PM.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shahdan's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LnDRash View Post
    I'm sure his brain was working as hard as it could though.

Agreed. FMA had some very cool characters as well. Greed and Roy Mustang where pretty bad ass as well. And for main-character standarts Edward Elric was nothing to scoff at either. Although FMA generally feels a bit different from the typical action shounen like Naruto/Bleach/OP/FT.
    And that's why he has the intellectual capacity of a dried-up Soy bean.

I didn't like Roy, as in my opinion, he was quite generic. What made Kimblee so fascinating was the thrill and daring behaviour he brought to the scans/scenes. His sheer madness to taste the thrill and pain of death was truly intruiging. I was left heart broken when he was absorbed by Pride. Heart broken ...

That Pride kid ... was creepy though.
    Last edited by shahdan; April 26, 2013 at 03:00 AM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Xiraiya's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who have seen Soul Eater, I always found Black Star to be very similar to Naruto, yet at the same time he was always awesome and really quite badass, he became one of the strongest by sheer will power, if you ask me, he's like a better version of Naruto without the mistakes, and I think if he had been in Naruto's place, the Manga overall would be much better. So really he's what Naruto should have been, a real genius of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabot View Post
    Vegeta (Dragonball Z)
    Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto)
    Byakuya (Bleach)
    Death The Kid and Kilik Lunge (Soul Eater)
    ...and though I'm only recently getting into Fairy Tail, Gray, Steeldragondude and whatshisfacewiththelightning.
    I literally cannot pick a favorite between Vegeta and Goku, Vegeta is hilarious and easily the best rival I have seen in a Manga series, he was such a great character, Goku on the otherhand had brilliant moments, he is actually a lot like Luffy, silly and seemingly naive, but he's not stupid, he knows and realizes more than he lets on and you do see it.

Sasuke was never a very good character, the ONLY time I have ever truly liked Sasuke was during the second part of the Chuunin exam where he had been spending time training with Kakashi and became this epic character temporarily not so focused on revenge, before and after he was just ...no, more so after.

Byakuya was one of those dickish characters that were surprising because you didn't really expect more to them than what you saw, but he became one of the better characters of Bleach.

I always liked Death the Kidd but he never really did much for me, aside from his symmetrical issues he was rather bland most of the time.

FT, Gray reminds me of a Sasuke who never fled Konoha and never did anything interesting, he has some good moments and his stripping is hilarious but that's about all there is. Gajeel is a very different story and he's easily one of the better characters of FT, hell I kind of wished he was the main character, far more entertaining than Natsu.

Quote Originally Posted by shahdan View Post
    I didn't like Roy, as in my opinion, he was quite generic. What made Kimblee so fascinating was the thrill and daring behaviour he brought to the scans/scenes. His sheer madness to taste the thrill and pain of death was truly intruiging. I was left heart broken when he was absorbed by Pride. Heart broken ...
    I am and always will be a big fan of Roy, you have to look past his seemingly generic character to realize it works for him, there's much more to him there.
    Last edited by Xiraiya; April 26, 2013 at 04:07 AM.

New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast