Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: How do you like Naruto as a main character

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superb! I can't think of a better shounen hero!

6 10.34%
  • He's not all bad, but could have been handled better.

14 24.14%
  • I liked Part I Naruto... Part II? Not so much...

22 37.93%
  • I actually prefer Part II Naruto to his Part I counterpart.

5 8.62%
  • I don't like him at all... but I blame Kishi for it!

8 13.79%
  • I hate him basically just for the sake of hating him.

1 1.72%
  • Meh... he sucks... but he's Minato's son so I won't admit it!

2 3.45%
New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Naruto so unsympathetic as a main hero?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member liductan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is Naruto so unsympathetic as a main hero?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiraiya View Post
    For those of you who have seen Soul Eater, I always found Black Star to be very similar to Naruto, yet at the same time he was always awesome and really quite badass, he became one of the strongest by sheer will power, if you ask me, he's like a better version of Naruto without the mistakes, and I think if he had been in Naruto's place, the Manga overall would be much better. So really he's what Naruto should have been, a real genius of hard work.
    Damn..I find black star so fucking annoying. At first, he was more annoying than naruto but my hatred for him slowly decreased. He is still annoying and egocentric. I'm not sure which is worse his ego or his stupidity. The only difference between him and naruto is his fighting style. He is a badass and has different styles of fighting. That's the only reason why I can stand him sometimes..
    I agree his mistakes are not repetitive and he doesn't always win like naruto. Naruto somehow(PLOT) always manage to win and preach at the same time. IF naruto would fight more and talk less.

Also, I find his name better than naruto too.

Spoiler show
    Last edited by liductan; April 26, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
    I have a black-belt in sarcasm, a degree in smartass and experienced in Bitch. Yep, I am damn ninja..

---you have been warned..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who have seen Soul Eater, I always found Black Star to be very similar to Naruto, yet at the same time he was always awesome and really quite badass, he became one of the strongest by sheer will power, if you ask me, he's like a better version of Naruto without the mistakes, and I think if he had been in Naruto's place, the Manga overall would be much better. So really he's what Naruto should have been, a real genius of hard work.
    Black Star to me was the one of the worst characters I've seen in my whole life. He was so bad that I started to dislike the show because of him (luckily Kid was there to save it.) I'm not a huge fan of Naruto's character but I see him as a far more better character than Black Star.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Naruto as main hero was far much better in terms of quality and complexity than Goku and even Luffy. Now, he's worse because he's repetitive and too inconsistent. While Goku and Luffy are also about bonds and friendships, they don't reiterate that every five seconds, they actually fight their beliefs like Naruto used to do in Part I. I dunno if there's been any other complex characters in shounen, but Naruto was definitely one of them.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member chilibun's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNight View Post
    Black Star to me was the one of the worst characters I've seen in my whole life. He was so bad that I started to dislike the show because of him (luckily Kid was there to save it.) I'm not a huge fan of Naruto's character but I see him as a far more better character than Black Star.
    The huge difference between the two is the way the manga handles other characters. Soul Eater has plenty of other developed characters that receives plot relevance to shine individually. On the other hand, Naruto gets shoved into our faces every time he is the manga and every character within his presence is used and trampled on so Naruto can look good. We get it, he's main character. But you don't necessarily need everybody and their mothers to be saved by him, to praise him, and to leave tasks for him. It already sucks that we don't see much of other characters anymore. But now they literally only get on panel so they can kiss his ass. Naruto is already annoying by himself, but he sucks the awesomeness out of every character.
    Last edited by chilibun; April 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM.

6. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilibun View Post
    The huge difference between the two is the way the manga handles other characters. Soul Eater has plenty of other developed characters that receives plot relevance to shine individually. On the other hand, Naruto gets shoved into our faces every time he is the manga and every character within his presence is used and trampled on so Naruto can look good. We get it, he's main character. But you don't necessarily need everybody and their mothers to be saved by him, to praise him, and to leave tasks for him. It already sucks that we don't see much of other characters anymore. But now they literally only get on panel so they can kiss his ass. Naruto is already annoying by himself, but he sucks the awesomeness out of every character.
    Not sure why you had to quote me for that. I wasn't exactly saying that Naruto is the best main character out there.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shahdan's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I am and always will be a big fan of Roy, you have to look past his seemingly generic character to realize it works for him, there's much more to him there.
    Generic traits works for characterization? This is new one.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LnDRash's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Being generic isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just means the characters isn't innovative. He can still be well written and handled. There's also only so many innovative out of the norm individuals you can put into a story before it turns into a freak fest.
    Click here for what I consider the definition of "simply brilliant"

Quote Originally Posted by syx View Post
    He was once a very charismatic, kind, special and inspiring person. LnDRash was a premium brand, now this brand is called LnDTRash!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shahdan's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

^ I am not disagreeing, but I always thought Roy was a poorly written character as he lacked depth and complexity that are the makings of a decent one.
    Last edited by shahdan; April 26, 2013 at 03:23 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Part I Naruto was a decent character when compared to other shounen protagonists. But everything fell apart since Sasuke Retrieval Part I. What happened to the character is that he was shafted as Kishimoto still seems incapable of writing a coherent narrative.

Needless to say, Part I Naruto wasn't flawless. The author presented him as a talentless hack, but in truth it was clear Naruto was one of, if not the, greatest prodigy of his generation, whose talent was derailed because of his upbringing. Had Naruto been properly taught, he would have been a powerhouse. This is why characters like Sarutobi are made to look like total idiots because there was really no major reason for someone like him not to intervene, especially when Sarutobi is competing against 8+ other villages for resources.

What happened in Part II? Indeed, Naruto is presented as an immense prodigy, which is then amped to eleven. Naruto is gifted with the rarest element, wind, one of the most talented Senjutsu prodigies who ever lived, a direct descendent of the Ninja Jesus of the world, inheritor of a kekkei-genkai that makes him the idea jinchuuriki, etc. Turns out Naruto was a natural-born winner, and then some. He achieved his level of strength thanks to genetics + retcons (e.g. the Kage Bushin memory retcon).

What also didn't help the character was how, and still is, shafted in his own story. The story started losing focus on him with Sasuke Retrieval Part I. Any antagonist that has Naruto as his stated target - Pein, Kabuto, Danzou, etc. - were sidelined in favor of characters with stronger ties to Sasuke (Itachi, Madara, Orochimaru, and Tobi). At least 90% of Naruto's screentime is him focusing somehow, someway on Sasuke. Even Kushina's narrative was twisted to reflect how it instigated the Uchiha massacre, and if memory serves me right, had Kishimoto had his way then the flashback would have never occurred, unlike Sasuke having multitudes of flashbacks. Make no mistake, Naruto is still the 'hero' of the story, but he is one of the few cases I have ever seen of a primary protagonist being usurped by a secondary protagonist. Without the Uchiha connection, Naruto bears little relevance to the plot as a whole.

I have other issues with the titular character, but the root cause stems into how the author has handled him. From the neverending bail-outs to the inconsistent characterizations to the unusual focus on Sasuke to the random-ass power-ups, Naruto is a very lousy protagonist. But like I said - all these dislikes I have about the character is how Naruto underwent a 180 degree change in character when compared to what he was in Part I.

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Zimbabwe
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually like Shippuden Naruto better than pt. 1 Naruto. Still obsessed with Sasuke? Check. Still 'hokage this, hokage that'? Check.
    Much less of a dumb-ass? Double-check.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shafagh's Avatar
    Country
    Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

well ... I blame kishi for this madness ....

I imagine something like this would happen in next weeks ....

Hashirama , Tobirama , Minato , Sarutobi , Sasuke , Oro and five kage :
    Naruto come and save our a$$E$ , We are hopeless .......

Naruto :

I will save you ... don't worry ... after all I'm A$$ saver ....

Kishi :

in the end Naruto become the main hero who saving everyone ....

Most of Readers :
    fak you kishi ....

Madara :
    some one wake up me from this nightmare .....
    Last edited by shafagh; April 28, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
    خداحافظ

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't like Naruto as a character because of his ignorance at matters at large and in the end, he's acting more like a kid acts/behaves like an adolescent and the world has to bend to his will because he's magically endowed with one of the strongest demons and it just so happens he has the power to back up his word (for the most part)

this is a huge stretch but he's kind of like kim jong un with nuclear missiles

the problem i have is his willingness to go so far for (a friend who tried to kill him/threatened his entire village) Sasuke.

not to be insulting towards anyone but in terms of IRL
    Sasuke is like a radical muslim who commits acts of terrorism against those he feels are in violation/violated his religion(clan) and views himself as a hero for defending his religion(clan) against the threat of another religion(clan)/nation/village. Naruto is somewhat like the USA, is not willing to eliminate Sasuke who is a threat to his village, but wants him to understand that his ways are wrong.

personally i just want naruto to kill sasuke (before sasuke FINALLY did a logical 180 ie. protect konoha)
    however i still don't like sasuke. just because you get rid of a few bad eggs doesn't make you a good guy even if you decide to become "good"

p.s. i am not condoning acts of mass murder of peepos IRL

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Naruto2011's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think naruto has became kinda dull lately is because of this war arc. Running into this war he had this arrogance that he thought of himself as a one man show, that he'll do by hisself, then itachi came and told him other wise. And as of late he has experienced death pretty frequently, so i think where he is at character wise is enduring. He is slowly becoming more realistic i belive. He knws he cant save everyone but he wont give in without giving it all he has.

And it has became repetive somewhat with the "Obito question" and the "Naruto answer", hopefully Obito quits with that cuz im getting tired of it.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Revvo's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with naruto is, that he just can't deliver an answer to the problems he's facing.
    Since his fight against Pein the main problematic of the naruto-univers has been made clear.
    The antagonists state that there is no true communication between people, one person can never truly understand the other one, we live in an illusion that seems real to us but might contradict with whatever everyone else is experiencing, the result is constant disinformation, selfishness, war. Pein came to the conclusion unity and peace could only be obtained through fear, Obito and Madara plan on controlling every persons reality/illusion through a gobal genjutsu.
    This is what the antagonists belive, this is the problem the good guys have to face.
    It's quite the serious topic which relates to the real world very well.
    Now what is the Protagonists solution to this problem? What is the answer he has so desperatly been working on since the Pein-fight? How far has he developed, how hard did he struggle with the problem?
    We all know the answer to that don't we?:

http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/594/19
    http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/564/14
    http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/628/11

Thanks for you insights on the matter naruto, yes truly how could we not see it, making friends and becoming hokage is the the key to worldpeace...

The most annoying thing about Naruto is that eventhough he can't find a serious answer for the dilema of his world and only gives the most shallow speaches, everybody looks up to him, he's rewarded with free special powers (remember when the QB was a problem for naruto to deal with? Well that was solved quite convincingly aswell right?... right?...) and everyone in the manga feels deeply moved by his nonsense ...

18. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess that the issue is that naruto is simply not interesting, there is nothing about him that makes him a cool character to read about. Lets take this step by step:

1.- The lie of him being a hard working ninja

The manga started with the premise that naruto was a loser but by finally getting support from people around him and working his but off he found a path for him to grow stronger. Everything about that premise was a lie. Naruto was no different from sasuke or neji, he was as a matter of fact born from clans with a better objectively superior race than normal people and as a result he had it in him to be a better shinobi than his peers. Naruto is as of now the descendant of a sage, a member of the uzumaki clan and the son of the hokage. Naruto's standing in the gene poll lottery is every bit as improble and lucky as sasuke's.

Proof? The fact that naruto has done all the stuff he has done. Naruto started out being factually stupid and his attitude and aptitude towards shinobi like tasks were beneath those of his peers. He could not perform simple and easy jutsu which his peers had already easily mastered. Now, the reason for this to happen was in the end revealed to be the fact that naruto had no one to support him, his emotional state was in the way. The second naruto got some degree of support the situation turned around completely. He learned a jutsu far more complicated than anything any of his peers could do in a matter of hours if not less. What proof of naruto having the superior genes to everyone else than this can there be? Its not like he just caught up to everyone with a few good hours of hard work, he outclassed them in hours. The fact that naruto had the kyubi working as an infinite energy battery does not help at all.

The final metaphorical groin kick to this particular premise is the fact that naruto was not only born a better human being from others from a strictly moral or physical point of view but the fact that he was predestined to be born that way. Far before naruto was born his birth was predicted by the toad sage. By adding the messiah bit naruto was effectively denied the possibility of failure by destiny.

Now, my point is not that naruto does not work hard. My point is that his hard work pays off the way it does because being a superior kind of human to his peers allows his hard work to have superior results. So basically if we have, say, naruto and kiba working equally hard under similar conditions it is extremely probable that naruto will experience superior, if not exceedingly superior, results. Proof of that? Naruto mastering taju kage bushin, naruto mastering rasengan, naruto being born with aptitude towards senjutsu (and getting better than jiraiya at it within weeks), naruto's ability to control the biju... Those are things only naruto or equaly talented people could have achieved in the same way naruto did. None of the others would have managed what naruto did under similar conditions without being born like naruto was.

2.- Naruto is way to powerful

Ok, so the next issue here is that naruto didn't just become powerful beyond his age but also that he got all the power. Just sage mode alone allowed him to fight pain which was in itself something pretty spectacular. Up to this point the manga made sense because naruto struggling against an enemy with sage mode and its limitations made sense. But then again, it was not enough. He then proceeded to tame the kyubi and is not able to use his unmeasurable power at will. More so, he is effectively able to share all the power with others making him a battery for everyone else.

Was it necessary to make naruto this obscenely powerful? Was it necessary to make him a superior sage to jiraiya and to give him the power of the kyubi... within a matter of weeks?

3.- Naruto experiences emotional turnmoil and severe emotional trauma in a completely unbelievable way.

This is perhaps attributed to the fact that naruto is mentally and physically an objectively superior human being than those around him. The manga has made the point of showing us how naruto was basically alienated by the villagers in his youth. He was basically alone and whenever he approached anyone the response was immediately to be rejected and perhaps even insulted. Kids bullied him, parents encouraged the bullying and were a part of it. Naruto was even told he was not worth anything. Because somehow the Neanderthals villagers though being a jinchuiriki made him the monster that had attacked the village itself and not just the guy unfortunate enough to have the beast inside of him.

Now, lets go back to the start of the manga. Remember how naruto was presented as an disturbed kid who had accumulated just about a decade of severe emotional trauma while being effectively alienated from society as a whole? Of course not, naruto was never presented in such a fashion. Did he have any akwardness around people as a result of being alienated and thus not learning the social cues he is supposed to pick up while interacting with fellow human beings? Not at all. He was loud, outgoing and while somewhat of a misfit he was still at large able to function socially, it was just the fact that everyone rejected him that got in the way.

And how does he resolve his decade worth of severe emotional trauma? He walks into a waterfall and overpowers the manifestation of severe emotional/psychological trauma with love. It wasn't through years of therapy and medication, he did it on his own with love. It would have been just about as coherent to use fairy dust and unicorns to perform an exorcism. Its actually a more realistic scenario than what happened if anything.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 7 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast