Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)

View Poll Results: How do you like Naruto as a main character

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superb! I can't think of a better shounen hero!

6 10.34%
  • He's not all bad, but could have been handled better.

14 24.14%
  • I liked Part I Naruto... Part II? Not so much...

22 37.93%
  • I actually prefer Part II Naruto to his Part I counterpart.

5 8.62%
  • I don't like him at all... but I blame Kishi for it!

8 13.79%
  • I hate him basically just for the sake of hating him.

1 1.72%
  • Meh... he sucks... but he's Minato's son so I won't admit it!

2 3.45%
New Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Why is Naruto so unsympathetic as a main hero?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is Naruto so unsympathetic as a main hero?

He isn't that bad but I think it's because he's been turned into a Messiah. Everyone he meets turns "good" and he is too cocky. I think his flaws are overlooked, his character doesn't evolve as a person. I mean Sakura became a stronger character and Hinata to a point. Doesn't anyone think it's irritating how Naruto kept making characters "good" after meeting them. Every filler episode? and in canon too. I hope filler Naruto is included in this discussion.
    Last edited by EclipseHunter; May 04, 2013 at 12:28 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LnDRash's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xXan View Post
    Anyway Naruto is not exacly stupid. He is actualy smart you just need to remove the obvious comic relief moments.
    Thats one of the problems I've mentioned in the OP though. Those "obvious" comic relief moments aren't really that obvious when one considers that 99% of them aren't even funny at all... instead just plain dumb.

It throws a really bad light on Naruto and makes him look worse then he'd be otherwise.
    Click here for what I consider the definition of "simply brilliant"

Quote Originally Posted by syx View Post
    He was once a very charismatic, kind, special and inspiring person. LnDRash was a premium brand, now this brand is called LnDTRash!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted xXan's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

@Rikudou King

Quote Quote:
    Who wanted to blow up the world? The closest to that idea would be Nagato, and his goal for peace was pretty realistic. And Sasuke became that way due to Obito's manipulation, not just because. Regardless, morality has little to do with it and as far as saving people go, Gaara saved more people then Naruto.
    Yeah Nagato. Realistic? Ok let's give the entire world nuclear bombs to preserve the peace (real life).

And any people Gaara saved is because Naruto saved him first so any deed is reflected on Naruto.

Quote Quote:
    On the same level? Probably not given the difference in chakra. But in the same time? No reason to believe otherwise. Like I said, there's nothing to suggest that learning any technique would take any considerable time, especially when one has the exact instructions to said techniques.
    Not even going to keep bothering here. Show me people doing anything like this. Show me any jutsu that was learned over night.
    For God's sake instructors could not understand how he can use it. Learning in a night is complete nonsense.

As far as I recall, what people were amazed by were the sheer number he could create. That's not the same as being amazed that someone could use a technique.

Tsunade about Rasengan and on top of my head (for shadow clones):
    http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/100/6

That was a JOUNIN level jutsu... The moment they noticed a genin can use something like that they whent from Neji stomps to "this could be a good fight".

Quote Quote:
    That was to learn Sage Mode in the first place. Perfecting it on the otherhand appears to have been simply up to luck once Sage Mode was learnt.
    This is some epic bias here bub. AND I MEAN EPIC. He could perfect something that needs insane chakra control and it was out of luck... How about you try to be more reasonable eh? I seriously don't understand why you have to take any feat from Naruto and take a great big dump on it. I am seriously starting to see no point to argue with you people.
    The training for SM involved the ability to draw in NE and then balance it as close as possible. Naruto mastered this like nobody before (well we only know for JMan but you get the idea).

How many times did you see me take Sasuke's(random example) feat and do my best to make them look as bad as possible? Meh...

Quote Quote:
    Which has shown would cause much more trauma. And Naruto didn't exactly have "nobody". Gaara would have faced the same problems as Naruto on top of his own problems, like most Jinchuuriki. Compensated how?
    You don't need a ton of connections. Even 1 can keep you on the rigt side. Look at Sasuke and Itachi. Itachi saved him.

Point is even assuming Gaara had it worse (It does not matter if he did) he ended up WAY and I mean WAY worse then Naruto.
    Last edited by xXan; May 04, 2013 at 03:01 AM.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Nagato. Realistic? Ok let's give the entire world nuclear bombs to preserve the peace (real life).

And any people Gaara saved is because Naruto saved him first so any deed is reflected on Naruto.
    But that is how it was in real life, the threat of a nuclear bomb forcing peace. Not prefect but viable.

By that logic then, any person Naruto saved is reflected on Iruka because he saved Naruto first...

Not even going to keep bothering here. Show me people doing anything like this. Show me any jutsu that was learned over night.
    For God's sake instructors could not understand how he can use it. Learning in a night is complete nonsense.
    Both Sasuke and Konohamaru learnt the Great Fireball and Sexy technique respectively in a single day upon being instructed. I'm not seeing the reason why you think that someone smarter and with better chakra control would have any trouble learning a technique when given the step by step instructions? That doesn't make any sense.

Tsunade about Rasengan and on top of my head (for shadow clones):
    http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/100/6

That was a JOUNIN level jutsu... The moment they noticed a genin can use something like that they whent from Neji stomps to "this could be a good fight".
    The Rasengan is only known to a select few, in order to learn it one would have to be taught it. And? No one was making any declarations about how it was impossible... It was well established that most genin shouldn't have the chakra to even use a C-rank technique. That only goes back to my previous point about the difference in chakra. Remember, the entire reason Kage Bunshin was forbidden was because of the risk to the user of running out of chakra.

This is some epic bias here bub. AND I MEAN EPIC. He could perfect something that needs insane chakra control and it was out of luck... How about you try to be more reasonable eh? I seriously don't understand why you have to take any feat from Naruto and take a great big dump on it. I am seriously starting to see no point to argue with you people.
    The training for SM involved the ability to draw in NE and then balance it as close as possible. Naruto mastered this like nobody before (well we only know for JMan but you get the idea).

How many times did you see me take Sasuke's(random example) feat and do my best to make them look as bad as possible? Meh...
    Aptitude, natural talent, skill, call it what you will, the point is that it wasn't simply due to working harder. Are you saying that Naruto, who has not only been mentioned as not having good chakra control but admitted it quite recently, has better chakra control then Jiraiya? Not to mention that if it was all about balance, then Jiraiya using the Toads to balance it out for him should have solved that issue, right? And it's not just Naruto. Kabuto succeed in perfecting Sage Mode too, while Orochimaru failed at it.

You don't need a ton of connections. Even 1 can keep you on the rigt side. Look at Sasuke and Itachi. Itachi saved him.

Point is even assuming Gaara had it worse (It does not matter if he did) he ended up WAY and I mean WAY worse then Naruto.
    And as we've been shown repeatedly, losing one's connection can be truly devastating. Why wouldn't Gaara end up worst when he had it worst? That's like saying that Kirabi and Kushina shouldn't have ended up so good after having it so good.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shahdan's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

At least he did not end up some EMO genocidal maniac like Sasuke. He needed some TLC for his bro to get it togeder.
    For a 28 year old, you sure use Emo quite frequently. This type of personality analysis is not something expected of someone just shy of 30. No offense. Now you can continue on with your analysis which is kinda flimsy.

Naruto's bullying makes my heart melt. It's lame and I for one never gave much thought to it. I have seen people have it worse.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member flow like's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rikudou King View Post
    Naruto being only 16 years old really isn't an excuse, given that we have ninjas even younger who are more mature and professional.
    name please

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

naruto not stupid more... please read manga right
    Last edited by flow like; May 04, 2013 at 09:21 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flow like View Post
    name please
    Listed before: Kakashi, Gaara, the Ame trio, Kimimaro, Haku, Orochimaru, and Sasuke.

naruto not stupid more... please read manga right
    Not stupid anymore? You must have missed his little encounter with Nagato and Madara before the Alliance came.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Not stupid anymore? You must have missed his little encounter with Nagato and Madara before the Alliance came.
    that doesn't prove that he is stupid. That just proves that he forgot..
    what a meeting with Madara you mean ?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

that doesn't prove that he is stupid. That just proves that he forgot..
    what a meeting with Madara you mean ?
    Forgot what Nagato had just did? Yeah, that is more then just being forgetful. And this.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

And this.
    this is not stupidity
    Last edited by flow like; May 05, 2013 at 01:39 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Then by all means, please enlighten us about your definition of stupidity.

He was once a very charismatic, kind, special and inspiring person. LnDRash was a premium brand, now this brand is called LnDTRash!

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LnDRash View Post
    Then by all means, please enlighten us about your definition of stupidity.
    attack gaara after lee lose

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

attack gaara after lee lose
    Thats not necessarily stupid but actually kind of understandable. Lee is Naruto's friend and considering Gaara crippled Lee for pretty much just the sake of it, Naruto had a good reason to lose his temper. At best that makes him a hothead.

Forgetfulness on the other hand is a pretty common trait among stupid people, since memory is part of intelligence. And even if we ignore all of this, just look up my OP and check out the Armadillo Penis stuff. If thats not stupidity then I don't know what else thats supposed to be. Aoba even outright thinks of him as a dumbass at that moment.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LnDRash View Post
    And even if we ignore all of this, just look up my OP and check out the Armadillo Penis stuff. If thats not stupidity then I don't know what else thats supposed to be. Aoba even outright thinks of him as a dumbass at that moment.
    agree.this bad kishi sense of humor

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

this is not stupidity
    How is it not stupidity? Also, there's a difference between stupidity and recklessness.

New Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6