Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who are the 10 Great Master of Murim

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kidopitz27's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 10 Great Master of Murim

i think choosing the 10 great masters is more like awarding an individual with an emeritus title

i think there is a difference on that part

Gaju (Ganju) - is the leader of the whole clan and the only one who can replace them are a family member or in Sunwoo's part the phoenix medallion

and i think that Munju is the head of the school where the clan members train and the Munju answers to the Gaju and a Munju was chosen according to their skills and achievements like Hyuk-So Chun

so far we only know Chundomoon (Heavenly Way School) as a school not a clan and Sunwoo Clan doesn't have a school so i think those 2 titles have different meaning
    Last edited by kidopitz27; May 17, 2013 at 07:42 AM.

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

100% sure that Zoro already surpassed mihawk! 10/06/10

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ketsurou's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is something along the lines of this: the Sunwoo is a clan, and thus is like a gang or mafia family in the martial arts world, while Chundomoon and similar groups are a martial arts school. Thus, Munju is the title of the school head--the leader of the school and the school representative in the Martial Arts Alliance. And Gaju is the head of a group or family, like a father, or "head of the household" type of situation.

That makes Hyuk So Chun the Vice President of the Chundomoon School, and Shioon the boss of the mafia family known as Sunwoo.

Edit: Though, calling the Sunwoo mafia is a bit much. It works as an analogy, but it's more along the lines of the Chen and Yang families in China, being prominent leaders of two world famous martial arts styles while not really having a school. It's the difference between having an organization and having a family group leading the style.
    Last edited by Ketsurou; May 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarification guys!
    So, until the author clarifies further,

1) Gaju = Head of a clan. Usually hereditory but can be passed on through other means.
    2) Munju = Head of a school. Positions usually appointed based on ability.
    3) Ten Great Masters = Seems likely to be merit based with a large emphasis on strength, wisdom and the respect of other masters.
    Last edited by Wowzers; May 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Need citation, but when they were referencing Elder Kwon, they specifically said he was the only Great Master who wasn't the head of his own clan.

found it: http://mangachrome.com/the-breaker-new-waves/60/5/

That would imply that every other Great Master is a head of some sort (I'm still confused about gaju/munju distinctions, and whether the translation meant munju instead of gaju), so this would narrow down the field of possibilities considerably.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

i think all of the grand masters are head of schools just like the ghost hamd doctor said he is the head of his school

in elder kwon's reason why he didn't create another clan is because of his promise to the former head to make Sunwoo clan the most powerful clan

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ketsurou's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kidopitz27 View Post
    in elder kwon's reason why he didn't create another clan is because of his promise to the former head to make Sunwoo clan the most powerful clan
    That promise is a big part of it, but I honestly think it's a lot more than that. To Kwon, the Sun-Woo is his family. Even more so than his own blood, as he proved early on with his less than chivalrous treatment of our beloved Jinie. Kwon will always be Sun-Woo. It doesn't matter to him if he is the weakest man in Murim or a thousand times stronger than Goomoonryong. Sun-Woo is his family, his home, and the very meaning of his life.

And that is the same kind of spirit that Shioon has now. The Sun-Woo is more than just a group of martial artists. Clan is a word that means "family," which is why I compared them to a Mafia family before, and why their spirit and loyalty is so fierce. Just think of the dedication that a high ranking Mafioso has to his Family, and that is the same kind of dedication that most members of Sun-Woo have for "the Family."

Even those who are not particularly high ranking have this spirit, and demonstrated it at the school grounds when they fought the police and went to jail so that Elder Jeong could give even one more second to giving the last of his life to Shioon.

This is the "Spirit of Sun-Woo," and THIS is why they were and will be again the strongest, most feared clan in all of Murim.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Junaid_Sennin's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen some conflicting translations, so I'm asking this to anyone that's read the original text and can provide a definitive translation.

Is Kwon the second strongest of the 10 Grand Masters, or is he the strongest 2nd-in-command?
    Stand back, I'm going to try science

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member [ki{kk}o]'s Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junaid_Sennin View Post
    I've seen some conflicting translations, so I'm asking this to anyone that's read the original text and can provide a definitive translation.

Is Kwon the second strongest of the 10 Grand Masters, or is he the strongest 2nd-in-command?
    is the strongest 2nd-in-command. ChaoticKen explained that a while ago...

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

after reading the member post we can say that there are at least 3 Grand Master shown in Breaker

1. Elder Kwon
    2. Doctor Shik
    3. Yae-Won-Gwan (this one is still not proven but GMR said that she is an old monster)
    ------we don't know who GMR is pointing as an old monster though
    --------> either Yae-Won-Gwan , Te-Ul , or Jang Mung Kwon or all of them

Kang Sung on the other hand is not a Grand Master Level at all because of his title 3 ARTS DRAGON i think getting that title is somewhat categorize you in a special list
    Last edited by kidopitz27; November 22, 2013 at 09:36 AM.

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bighawke5's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syx View Post
    I wonder who chooses the top ten great/grand (is there a difference?) masters of Murim? What's the procedure, rules and so on?

What happens if one of them dies? I mean, do they keep the title until their death? If so, then nobody in the Murim can get the title in the current story even if she/he is at that level.

Or is there some kind of selection after a certain period, let's say every 5 or 10 years?

I know those are a lot of questions, which are most likely not really relevant, but I'm a curious person.

As for the thread, I think Sera's master and Kang Sung are among the 10 great masters of Murim. So-Chun Hyuk's master was probably also hold the title. Chun-Woo Han is definitely not of them.
    I think Sera's master is definetly a grand master, she schooled GMR when he was besting the two other masters...Then again thats whishful thinking on my part since we dont know how she would have handled a BOT GMR

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kidopitz27 View Post
    after reading the member post we can say that there are at least 3 Grand Master shown in Breaker

1. Elder Kwon
    2. Doctor Shik
    3. Yae-Won-Gwan (this one is still not proven but GMR said that she is an old monster)
    ------we don't know who GMR is pointing as an old monster though
    --------> either Yae-Won-Gwan , Te-Ul , or Jang Mung Kwon or all of them

Kang Sung on the other hand is not a Grand Master Level at all because of his title 3 ARTS DRAGON i think getting that title is somewhat categorize you in a special list
    Agreed as well.
    Also I dont claim to know the process to become a grand master class, no one knows yet, but I do know that the guy never finished the shinsenguppe or wats-it-called (tournament). Now it wasn't due to lack of skills seeing as he may be at least a match to GMR even if the latter goes BOT (of course if he decides to throw his life away and fight to the death like his master told him)

Now if he where a grand master class, GMR would have known or made a rude remark about it knowing him. Also other masters would have said or mentioned something, but the only thing that came out since part 1 whenever Kang's mentioned is that he's a mysterious 3AD (obviously mysterious since he's much above that caliber)

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who are the 10 Great Master of Murim

we don't really know how can you become a Grand Master level but we are sure that Kang Sung is not a Grand Master Level i don't really have the evidence but Elder Kwon vs Doctor Shik seems like they are not afraid at each other it seems like if Elder Kwon release a killer intent Doctor Shik match it up

then when a representative of MMA ask Elder Kwon to stop harassing MMA members to look for Smug Face Elder Kwon ask Kang Sung to come to Sunwoo to sort it out and in my opinion at that time was this --> WTF? Elder Kwon challanging Kang Sung? at that time we only know Elder Kwon as the Strongest Second In Command
    then after re-reading the chapters my perspective change because i know that Elder Kwon is a Grand Master that's why he is not fazed when asking Kang Sung to come at Sunwoo and i think Kang Sung after hearing that don't want to come in Sunwoo not because it is the most dangerous dungeon in all murim but maybe the Elders alone or even Elder Kwon can kill Kang Sung
    Last edited by kidopitz27; March 09, 2014 at 07:09 AM.

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2