Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunter x Hunter What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

Hunter x Hunter, like everything else in this world, is not perfect. Everything has its flaws, including our beloved series. This is all a matter of opinion of course, as there are those that are satisfied with everything in the series, but to those that aren't here is a thread were you can discuss what you dislike about Togashi's manga. I'll begin with the most common complaint that the series has received:

Constant Hiatuses
    I have no idea wether Togashi's frequent hiatuses are due to illness or lazyness or something else altogether, but as a lover of this manga I do get tired of having to deal with constant interruptions to the story. And it's not just that the hiatuses are frequent, but also the fact that many of them last a very long time, be it several months to longer than a year. I get that Hunter x Hunter is a deep and complex series (one of the many things I love about it) which sometimes requires Togashi to spend quite a bit developing the storyline and battles, but the hiatuses are just ridiculous. I wish that we'd at least have a streak consisting of 10 chapters and then a few months break like we used to in the past, that would at least be something.

Lack of Leorio
    Leorio is one of my favourite characters in Hunter x Hunter. At first he gives off the impression that he's one big jerk who only cares about money, but then we learn who he really is: a kind and compassionate person, as well as a great friend. He's a fan favourite, which just makes it all the more sad that we get to see so little of him. I like the fact that Hunter x Hunter breaks out of the norm and changes it's main party of characters every arc, but Leorio always gets the short end of the stick! Killua has spent most of the series by Gon's side, and Kurapika got a lot of focus in the Yorknew Arc, but Leorio has always felt like little more than a side-character since the end of the Hunter Exam. He did get some well-deserved attention in the Election Arc which was good to see. I just hope that he won't disappear for a large stretch of the story again.

Unexplored Concepts
    Togashi has managed to create such a large and intriguing world in Hunter x Hunter, which makes it all the more sad when he doesn't explore some of its concepts as much as he should. I know that I'm not the only one who'd love to know more about the Arena Masters and who's the top dog at Heaven's Arena, or to know more about certain kind of hunters such as gourmet or archaeological hunters, or to learn more about Hanzo's country, etc... the list is almost endless. I know that there should be an element of mystery in the series, that's what makes the HxH world seem so large, but still... I wish that we'd get to learn a little more about certain things Togashi introduced to the story.

Now it's your turn guys. Just a reminder though:

This is a thread dealing with negative points in the series, so it does seem likely that there could be some bashing. I ask all of you to remain civil and to avoid bashing and flaming at all costs.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

Interesting last point but I wouldn't call that a "flaw" per se in my opinion

Leaving things up to the imagination creates that sense of adventure Ging says he's looking for "What he can't see in front of him". Great franchises in other media don't try to explain everything like LOTR or Star Wars which the worlds and lore are far more expansive then the core stories. You'd have a hard time finding someone say the the LOTR books or the Star Wars Original trilogy suck because the main cast didn't explore every little nook and cranny of the world it takes place in.

That's what extended universe material are for whether it's War in the North, The Silmarillion, The Clone Wars, or the Thrawn Trilogy

I like it when a main series has specific story it's trying to tell and doesn't lose sight of it.
    Last edited by HybridBloodsZak; June 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM.

4. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

I think I know what you mean. Leaving a lot of things unxeplored creates a sense of wonder and mystery. This can, for example, be seen in the game Shadow of The Colossus. You, the player, know basically squat about the game's world and setting, which leaves you to figure out for yourself why the region where the game takes place has no signs of life besides a few species of animals and the aforementioned Colossi. Sometimes it's best not to delve into things too much, I agree. What I meant in my previous post is that there are some things that Togashi introduced which he seemingly abandoned, things I wish he'd explore just a little bit more. Hopefully he does someday.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Invertroid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I kind of dislike how Togashi will introduce a whole heap of new characters at once, instead of building upon the characters we've seen before.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Vevi's Avatar
    Country
    China
    Post Thanks / Like

Lack of female characters.
    Yeah we have some but MOST of them are odd. (Biscuit turning into a macho, and Palm is... Palm)
    And I'm still confused of Kalluto, Neferpitou & Alluka 's gender.

maybe this is just a personal preference and not a negative point after all.

8. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

1) The hiatuses sure are annoying, but it is a flaw of Togashi himself and not of the manga.
    2) I too love Leorio as character and I hope that in the next saga of HXH he will be a prominent figure and show us more of his power, which I find intriguing.
    3) About the unexplored concepts I think that someday Togashi will explore all of them, but I guess that when he will do, we will all be already old. LOL

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hiatuses

lack of kurapika

lack of true rival for gon (so far im only on manga chapter 228)

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much agree with everything you said, Crude.

I know this may sound redundant, and I understand Togashi has health issues, but the art does get to me sometimes. I understand the scribbles for the weekly releases sometimes. I mean, you have deadlines, you do what you need to do to meet them. But when volumes are released, and you have more time to redraw the chapters, at least make it look like you put effort into redrawing them (I'm looking at you, volume 29).

I wish Hunter would do some sort of timeskip and have Leorio finish his med school studies so he can start hunting again.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to dislike characters being put on buses, but for the most part have come to accept it is part of Togashi's style.
    I still miss Genthru so very badly! Melody too!!

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

-Too many male characters that look like girls (Alluka, Pitou, Kalluto, etc)

-Forgotten characters

-All the Hiatuses

-Scribble art (I wasn't all that bothered about It before since he would go back and redraw some badly drawn chapters in the past but now he doesn't even fix the shit in the volumes anymore.)

Well those are my only complaints
    Last edited by Netero; May 01, 2013 at 05:39 PM.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i admit the art is not amazing

but the plot and characters are so amazing that i dont let it bother me

besides the madhouse anime makes the art so amazing that it doesnt matter

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member zzigg's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    i admit the art is not amazing

but the plot and characters are so amazing that i dont let it bother me

besides the madhouse anime makes the art so amazing that it doesnt matter
    read volumes chapters ..they are better

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that really bothers me are the hiatuses and the weekly artwork when its scribbles.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by souhail View Post
    read volumes chapters ..they are better
    where can i find these?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Invertroid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    where can i find these?
    Here's a good place to start.

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast