Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

There are only three things about this manga that I hate.

Hiatuses

For obvious reasons.

Gon Freeces

Surprise, surprise. Yeah, that's right, I hate Gon. To be specific, I hate how he constantly take on people much stronger than him just because he's the main protagonist. For example, why the hell have him fight Genthru when Killua and biscuit were much more competent than him. I hate how he's a selfish prick who only care about what he wants.

I could go on about why he's always ruining the manga for me, but I'll stop here.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

However, I don't always hate him and everything to do with him. There are a couple of stuff that I like about him. Still hate him as a whole though.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNight View Post
    There are only three things about this manga that I hate.

Hiatuses

For obvious reasons.

Gon Freeces

Surprise, surprise. Yeah, that's right, I hate Gon. To be specific, I hate how he constantly take on people much stronger than him just because he's the main protagonist. For example, why the hell have him fight Genthru when Killua and biscuit were much more competent than him. I hate how he's a selfish prick who only care about what he wants.

I could go on about why he's always ruining the manga for me, but I'll stop here.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

However, I don't always hate him and everything to do with him. There are a couple of stuff that I like about him. Still hate him as a whole though.
    you know it really is not that uncommon for the main protagonist to rub people the wrong way

i can show you about a dozen people on the naruto forum who hate naruto but love other characters in the manga

gon...i actually like gon, i think he is courageous, creative, simple-minded but adapts very well to the situation

but i do understand why some people would be turned off by someone who is "too innocent" or "too good"

the funniest part about gon to me was when i learned
    Spoiler show

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I'm someone that will more often than not despise the main protagonist. Gon is one of my exceptions to this. Granted, he's not my favorite character in Hunter by a long stretch. I think it helps that Gon isn't overpowered and has a lancer (Killua) with him. It helps that although Gon is the stereotypical "gifted kid", he has someone that's as gifted right by his side.

But I can see where people would dislike him. He is a selfish jerk. He's a hunter, after all.

6. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Keirin's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

One word: Hiatuses.

Hxh is one of those series where I don't have any disliked characters. Probably one of the many reasons it's my favorite.

8. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    Actually, I'm someone that will more often than not despise the main protagonist. Gon is one of my exceptions to this. Granted, he's not my favorite character in Hunter by a long stretch. I think it helps that Gon isn't overpowered and has a lancer (Killua) with him. It helps that although Gon is the stereotypical "gifted kid", he has someone that's as gifted right by his side.

But I can see where people would dislike him. He is a selfish jerk. He's a hunter, after all.
    Funny thing is that the reasons WHY everyone who hates Gon hates him is why he's my favorite HxH character xD

10. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Botswana
    Post Thanks / Like

concerning the haituses, always wondered why doesnt HH become monthly wouldnd that b easier for togashi.
    I mean its been a year

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Lutv's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Invertroid View Post
    first HxH volume will released in my country on august this years
    a very2 long waiting.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Your best Friend 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

For me that's actually what makes him such an awesome character. It's sooooo against the usual cliches, with the main protagonist deeply caring for his friends and always saving them. That in itself is nothing bad but there's a limit to how good-natured someone can be and a lot of mangaka tend to overdo it. Togashi actually made a damn realistic character here. Gon cares for his friends, deeply. When it's about his own (strong) desires he's getting really selfish though, trying to get what he wants at all costs and pretty much ignoring others. To me that's not much different to how most people are in real life and there's nothing wrong with that. It's human nature that you care for your desires a damn lot, often putting them above others. Maybe it's nothing to be proud of but it's reality and thus I find Gon one of the most realistic characters I've seen so far.

15. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member liductan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprisingly, this one manga I can't really come up with many flaws. The very first post mentioned all the flaws I wanted to post.
    Even so, I really really hate Hiatuses. damn.. They are so long, at this rate, I really hope the author doesn't die before he finishes the manga.

It's funny how, what people hate the most about gon doesn't bother me much. Gon being selfish is annoying at times but understandable. What I really dislike about him is how naive he can be..Trusting others so easily is so annoying..
    I have a black-belt in sarcasm, a degree in smartass and experienced in Bitch. Yep, I am damn ninja..

---you have been warned..

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree. Because Gon is so realistic and ambiguous (i.e, not a paladin character), I do like him as a protagonist and character (not nearly as much as Killua, Hisoka, and Leorio, though). Gon's my favorite main protagonist in any series, actually. Although he's selfish, he embodies what a hunter should be like. In fact, out of the 4 main characters, that's why Kurapika and Gon are going to be better hunters than Killua and Leorio. Although Killua wants to be a hunter, I don't think he has the mindset to be a true hunter. He's probably one of the most selfless characters in the series, but maybe this will change in the upcoming arcs.

Alas, I digress and am going off-topic. What do I dislike? I'd like to see more regular female characters as someone mentioned before.

Oh, and I'm totally going to get flamed to hell for this, but I think Chrollo is a boring antagonist. He's pretty to look at, has a really interesting nen ability, and has good fashion sense, but that's really about it. Most of the other spiders are more interesting than him. Hell, even Genthuru is more interesting than he is. Other than the fact he's strong, I don't really see why Hisoka has a thing for him wants to fight him to the death someday. Seriously.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Akia999's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Lack of female characters
    As mentioned before,there is a serious lack of female characters.I really don't have a favourite female character from HxH neither do I find any of them attractive.No doubt, some of the female characters (eg:Senritsu, Bisuke, Palm, Pakunoda, Neon) in this series are quite interesting but they just don't really stand out against the male characters.Palm was giving a lot of character development but I still didn't really like her as compared to the male characters in the chimera ant arc.To me, that is one of the low point of the series.
    Spoiler show

On the bright side,at least they are not damsel in distress and are capable of doing something useful.Also, their character design are quite diverse.

Art
    Only on bad days.When Togashi is in a good mood and put in the efforts,his drawing is really good.Sadly,that doesn't happen much.

Lack of leorio
    Been mentioned before.Leorio is actually a pretty interesting character in the manga.I didn't quite like him when I started watching the 1999 version because he's hardly around and that he never get to shine. But when I read the manga, my view change.Leorio really has the potential to be an awesome character but sadly that guy just doesn't get to shine.That's why I love the recent arc because he was just so awesome.I hope Togashi don't neglect him again after that arc.

More development on hunters

The recent arc did introduce us to different type of hunters.I'm glad for that.Since hunters are the main focus in this manga,i really want to know more about them.Like, who started the hunter association? How many type of hunters are there? The specific of each type of hunter? Who are the other 11 former chairman? With more than 200 years of history, there is a lot to explore.
    Spoiler show

Oh, and I'm totally going to get flamed to hell for this, but I think Chrollo is a boring antagonist. He's pretty to look at, has a really interesting nen ability, and has good fashion sense, but that's really about it.
    You pretty much described Chrollo in a nutshell. While I do like Chrollo, I do agree with what you said. Because the only reason I like him is what you said.XD

20. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't find chrollo to be a boring antagonist, I think he's mostly calm and has a mysterious air around him (he's focused on his goals and his group/family), which I find sets him apart from a lot of antagonists in Hunter X Hunter (I have just started watching the chimera ant arc), he also showed charisma when he was talking to neon, and I think its part of the reason the troupe chose to follow him.

While Chrollo may not be a great antagonist for Gon, I feel he is a great antagonist for Kurapika, because Kurapika's rage contrasts his sense of calm (Kurapika's goals are really clear, while I want to know why Chrollo formed the troupe), also I feel we have alot more to find out about Chrollo.

22. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand why people would think he's unique, but he's not that unique to be honest.

If Togashi wanted a unique character, he could have made him ruthless and whatnot, but he's not, he's a goodie two shoes like any other shounen protagonist. He could have made him smart, but he's not, he's an idiot like a typical shounen protagonist.

Making him selfish isn't unique, since many other shounen protagonists are selfish in their own way (Luffy, Goku...) And sometimes go do what they like even if it put their friends and risk. But Gon's selfishness isn't likable like those other protagonists. He thinks that the whole world is just centered about him and his stupid father, and that all the other characters are but stepping stones to reach him (Ging.)

Of course, this is simply how I see it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I never understood the apparent 'lack of females' claim. To me some of the most well-written characters in the series are female. Also every single arc features at least one female character that is VERY well defined.

Hunter Exam arc: Mito, Menchi, Ponzu.
    Zoldyck Family arc: Kikyo
    Heaven's Arena arc: Machi
    York New Cirty arc: Machi, Pakunoda, Melody, Shizuku
    Greed Island arc: Biscuit, Asta, Elena, Eeta and even Battera's love
    Chimera Ants arc: Spinner Clow, Palm, Chimera Ant Queen, Reina
    Election arc: Cheadle, Alluka

I think females are very well represented and are often better written than their male counterparts.
    Who can honestly say that Bonolenov or Franklin are better written characters then Machi or Pakunoda?
    Who can honestly say that Melody isn't the best written of the Nostrade Bodyguards (excluding Kurapika)?
    Who can honestly say that Biscuit is not one of the best written characters of Greed Island?
    I could go on and on.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member liductan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a well written list. Looking at the list, I've forgotten at least half of them. The problem with me, is that most of the female characters don't stand out compare to the male characters.
    I have a black-belt in sarcasm, a degree in smartass and experienced in Bitch. Yep, I am damn ninja..

---you have been warned..

New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast