Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    I think females are very well represented and are often better written than their male counterparts.
    Who can honestly say that Bonolenov or Franklin are better written characters then Machi or Pakunoda?
    Who can honestly say that Melody isn't the best written of the Nostrade Bodyguards (excluding Kurapika)?
    Who can honestly say that Biscuit is not one of the best written characters of Greed Island?
    I could go on and on.

I think the problem isn't that we lack great females frog. I agree with you, Togashi introduced some pretty nice females throughout the story. What most people probably dislike is that we haven't had a single female that plays an important role for more than one arc. Sure we have some reappearances like Biscuit but most show up and then vanish for a long, long time or haven't even been mentioned once until now. In that sense I don't even need a clear main lead but great females (or at least one) to play a bigger part in the whole story, not just for a limited amount of time.

That leads to the females being rather static too, getting near to none character development. Palm probably is the only real exception where you can speak about a clear change but that's it. So yeah, my complaint (and I guess a lot of others feel the same way) isn't exactly about the lack of great females but the limited time Togashi is giving them and how they seem to play a much more minor role compared to the males and thus stand out way less, in the long run.

2. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

That also ties into Togashi's habit of introducing a bunch of characters and then putting them on a bus for arcs on end. It's not just the female characters. But I do wish there was a prominent, near main character status female character, though.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually like that Togashi doesn't do that. I mean yeah, sometimes it sucks when that certain character is awesome. But I rather have a mangaka that knows how to split up his cast when he's suppose to ( like HxH and Magi ) instead of having a one piece effect.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I want more info about the Dark Sonata

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the problem isn't so much that there is a lack of great female characters, it's that they lack presence when compared to the male characters. There's also a lack of balance in terms of the amount of male and female characters in the series, with the number of male characters being vastly superior compared to female characters.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Cyber34's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What I dislike most about this manga is the gay atmosphere of it. Gon walks around in short shorts, Hisoka is gay and a pedophile, Killua refers to his younger brother Alluka as a girl, Illumi Killua's older brother looks like a girl, and Kurapica also looks like a girl.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Akia999's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Togashi killing off characters we haven't seen in a while.Not necessary a low point, I like Togashi for being able to kill off his characters mercilessly; it's just that it is quite annoying when that character start to get some development.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I think the problem isn't that we lack great females frog. I agree with you, Togashi introduced some pretty nice females throughout the story. What most people probably dislike is that we haven't had a single female that plays an important role for more than one arc. Sure we have some reappearances like Biscuit but most show up and then vanish for a long, long time or haven't even been mentioned once until now. In that sense I don't even need a clear main lead but great females (or at least one) to play a bigger part in the whole story, not just for a limited amount of time.

That leads to the females being rather static too, getting near to none character development. Palm probably is the only real exception where you can speak about a clear change but that's it. So yeah, my complaint (and I guess a lot of others feel the same way) isn't exactly about the lack of great females but the limited time Togashi is giving them and how they seem to play a much more minor role compared to the males and thus stand out way less, in the long run.
    Huh? HxH is the way it is because it's the way it is - the author's creative expression. Can you imagine how contrived it would be to force the author of any artistic work to represent male and female characters in the same proportion? It would be like those retarded Microsoft Ads, where they fit male, female, Caucasian, African-american, and asian people in some misguided attempt at political correctness. Thanks but no thanks!

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason why HXH is my favorite manga is probably because I hate nothing excepted the hiatuses the scribble art.

Hiatuses can help Togashi but they are also a big problem.For me it's the reason why we really feel that there is a Lack of Kurapika/Leorio. Without hiatuses,I don't think we would have missed them like that(it's also the reason why many fans consider that Gon and Killua are the 2 MC IMO).It would have been a little like Impel Down/Marine Ford arc in One Piece or Magi.

Kurapika and Leorio are main characters,Kurapika is almost confirmed to be in the new arc but I am pretty sure Killua will be put on a bus now,I noticed that Kaito has relations with Kakin so Gon should be in.But if Leorio is put on a bus again I will really HATE IT.I hope he'll start to use them like true MC.

About Gon's character.I think that his portrayal of generic shounen MC is just a facade.I am still astonished when I read that Togashi wanted to create an extremely simplified protagonist.Gon acts like a generic MC only in common situations.During actions scenes he is really different,and since his fight with Genthru we didn't really read many of his monologues when he is fighting,which makes him more mysterious and fascinating,at least for me,people are trying to analyze his mind and when I see it I always think "What Gon is thinking? I want to know".
    It's the reason why his fights with Genthru and Knuckle are my favorites,when his opponents are trying to read in his mind,we can read his thoughts and I like it.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiatuses, mostly. But I'll live.

Togashi's strong point is his characters, so there's not much for me to complain about that. Though I do agree that though the female characters in the manga are well-written, they do not take much of a bigger role for more than one arc. I wish they would have more presence in the manga. Putting that aside though, there's nothing inherently wrong with them.

I kinda don't like how Togashi dumps all the new characters at once, but that could just be me being slow. /shrugs

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    Oh, and I'm totally going to get flamed to hell for this, but I think Chrollo is a boring antagonist.
    Nah, I think the same way. Well, for me it's not that he's a boring antagonist because he's a boring character (which he isn't). I just find the other Spider members to be... more interesting? I honestly don't see the charisma others see in him. I'm interested in his past and goals though, but that's it.

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I wish Togashi developed Kite more. Also that he showed off his Hatsu more. (I guess there's still time for character development since Kite's not exactly dead, but still.)

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GingFuriksu View Post
    I actually like that Togashi doesn't do that. I mean yeah, sometimes it sucks when that certain character is awesome. But I rather have a mangaka that knows how to split up his cast when he's suppose to ( like HxH and Magi ) instead of having a one piece effect.
    This is a really good point that i've been trying to communicate to people for a long time. Character distribution (the art of organizing your characters in their respective stations) is important because it allows the characters to develop a greater sense of individuality, where they are not that dependent on the main character to establish a sense of relevance for themselves. Without it you get the one piece effect (lol, so true, though perhaps Robin is a bit of an exception) where almost your entire main cast really don't have much of an individual weight in the story at all. Character distribution also allows for better character integration where the author can establish focuses enough to properly integrate his characters into the story so that even when characters are off screen or "on the bus" they still have their own responsibilities, concerns and potential developments to keep them busy and relevant.

Having said that though, whilst I do agree that Togashi has utilized character distribution, I can't really say he does much with the character integration bit. Though this is probably due to the fact that Hunter x Hunter's success isn't really based on having a stabilized linear plot type. It seems to be more component based and as such perhaps it doesn't even really depend much on hardcore character integration (still would be kinda nice to see though). However I do recognize his efforts with both Kurapika and Leorio, who are both active at their separate corners of the story.

To tell the truth the only major problems I have with Hunter x Hunter are the frequent hiatuses, the aesthetic presentation (drawing, graphics, you name it) and his story transitions (especially hated the one at the end of the chimera ant arc was too rushed and contrived and I believe it did a poor job of setting up for any progression especially the parts with welfin).

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

so, regarding most of the critique, kurapica as a girl and more leorio would solve basically anything

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member MadieV's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNight View Post
    I understand why people would think he's unique, but he's not that unique to be honest.

If Togashi wanted a unique character, he could have made him ruthless and whatnot, but he's not, he's a goodie two shoes like any other shounen protagonist. He could have made him smart, but he's not, he's an idiot like a typical shounen protagonist.

Making him selfish isn't unique, since many other shounen protagonists are selfish in their own way (Luffy, Goku...) And sometimes go do what they like even if it put their friends and risk. But Gon's selfishness isn't likable like those other protagonists. He thinks that the whole world is just centered about him and his stupid father, and that all the other characters are but stepping stones to reach him (Ging.)

Of course, this is simply how I see it.
    My thoughts exactly. It's weird because i tend to like most main characters but Gon rubs me the wrong way. I wouldn't mind his selfishness under normal circumstances, because let's be honest, humans are selfish but Gong takes that word to a whole new level. I wasn't expecting him to be everybody's savior but hell, he could he at least consider Killua from time to time who he "considers" a friend.

His actions are always putting others in danger for stupid reasons
    Last edited by MadieV; May 12, 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe hiatus, but I got used to with with reading non-mainstream manga.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber34 View Post
    What I dislike most about this manga is the gay atmosphere of it. Gon walks around in short shorts.
    Excuse me?! Since when wearing shorts makes you g@y?!! Cheese! It's like the world is looking for any excuse to use this word when they don't know what it actually means...!!

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member MadieV's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by capricorn View Post
    This is a really good point that i've been trying to communicate to people for a long time. Character distribution (the art of organizing your characters in their respective stations) is important because it allows the characters to develop a greater sense of individuality, where they are not that dependent on the main character to establish a sense of relevance for themselves. Without it you get the one piece effect (lol, so true, though perhaps Robin is a bit of an exception) where almost your entire main cast really don't have much of an individual weight in the story at all. Character distribution also allows for better character integration where the author can establish focuses enough to properly integrate his characters into the story so that even when characters are off screen or "on the bus" they still have their own responsibilities, concerns and potential developments to keep them busy and relevant.
    One Piece and Hunter x Hunter are so different is not even funny. OP is a shonen aiming to leave a good positive feeling behind, a message to cherish your dreams and friends. Hunter x Hunter dwells in the darker side, telling you that humans are flawed and that in the world there are people aiming to change for the good (Killua) and people perfectly comfortable with their state of mind (Hisoka). It deals with the darkest human emotions. A sense of unity in Hunter x Hunter will not serve any purpose because of the theme of the story and individualism will not work at all with the purpose of OP. I don't think that point is even comparable between the two.
    Last edited by MadieV; May 13, 2013 at 03:10 PM.

24. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast