Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

Kawaii Neko 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

Quote Originally Posted by Riruru View Post
    Killing off too many characters too soon
    It wasn't a huge deal in the Hunter Exam. In fact, it was pretty refreshing. And Canary was given the rare hall pass to the world of the living during the Zoldyck arc. But after that was just a barrage of death for characters who were either just growing on you or you fell in love with over 100 chapters ago coming out of nowhere. I've always been irked that barely anyone in One Piece dies. But at the same time death to me can be a cheap way of enhancing drama in a manga. There's a steady balance. And I think Togashi just kills off way too many people at a time.
    I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at here Riru. So you feel like Togashi is forcing drama by killing either newly introduced characters or old comrades/known characters who appear again after a long time? If that's it, I do agree but that's more or less the same with every other action-oriented series out there. In most cases, it's more or less impossible to kill a/the main characters. I'm not sure if I've ever seen that in manga as long as it's not very close to it's finish. To avoid misunderstandings, I mean characters who are the main focus of the story right at the start and continue to stay in this focus for pretty much the whole time. That's Gon and Killua (+ Kurapika and Leorio, to an extent).

Now the author is indeed forced to somehow create drama. He can't kill the mainies, so side characters have to suffice. The impact's usually created by either giving the side character very likeable traits or by having a close relationship to the mainies. The problem we have with Hunter x Hunter is that the world is FAR from being static + pretty damn huge. You don't have Killua and Gon always staying at or returning to one village/house/whatever like most other shounen main characters, they travel from place to place (like what Hunters do). The next point is realism: Heck, the world in Hunter x Hunter is extremely huge. How likely is it that you meet a person again after you've traveled to a totally different place? Not very likely, until you share a common or similar purpose.
    That's why there's barely a person who appears regularly besides Killua & Gon (+ ambivalent (main) villain Hisoka) and that's why there's only a very limited choice for Togashi when he needs to create drama: You can't just use a random char all the time so he has to choose either someone who fans (probably) appreciated and whose death will have an impact or someone newly introduced.

Obviously that does not mean you have to like it, I respect your opinion and agree to an extent but that's the price you have to pay for a relatively realistic story. It's one of the things that makes Hunter x Hunter different from a lot of other shounen and honestly, I prefer that a lot over series who barely kill a single character (or just kill countless nameless ones). It takes guts and creativity to take another approach and while it may not please everyone, it's something I enjoy and appreciate even if the approach isn't executed really well all time time.

... okay I will comment the rest later, this took longer than I thought XD

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Riruru's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

^ Haha. Well this is a case of "just because everyone does it, doesn't make it right."

Killing off characters can be a cheap way to bring drama. We know it's possible to almost never kill anyone off while still doing what you stated there. Just watch One Piece. Not killing off anyone unless it's sure to be impact-full to the plot is one of the reasons that a lot of OP fans are drawn to the series in the first place. Now don't get me wrong. I hate it when writers are not gutsy enough to kill any named characters off. I much prefer what HxH does over One Piece (if I had to pick between the two extremes in this case). But using death just to set a mood is not my cup of tea. Togashi could've given Pokkle (or anyone else who isn't main) some epic tragic side story involving the ants and done something really innovative for him. Sure it would involve more effort than churning out a panel of his guts spewed out. But instead he chose to kill him and about every side character that appeared in the arc. Just look at it like this: everyone dying can be just as unrealistic as no one dying.

All I'm saying is that death to me can be a sign of lazy writing. Might not be that way for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    Eh... I think this has been consistent with what Togashi's been doing to them since the beginning though? That's one of the things that interest me actually. The way I see it, Togashi treats Killua and Gon differently in the manga. And I think this also ties with how the fans see them.

Togashi can write pages of Killua's thoughts. We always get to see what he thinks of the world and of himself through his own eyes. We hardly get the same treatment for Gon. When we want insights of his character, we get them through implications and from what other people (Wing, Zepile, Biske, Killua, Hisoka, Kite, even the freakin' narrator) say about him. We hardly see his own thoughts; hence, we don't get a clear view of what he thinks of himself and of the world as we do Killua.

And that's basically why people seem to have an easier time liking Killua rather than Gon. Killua comes off as more, um, genuine, I guess? His character development is clear, and we get to see the more honest side of him because we literally get into his head. We never get inside Gon's head though. His characterizations and thoughts are subtle (at least compared to Killua's "THIS IS WHAT I'M THINKING THIS IS WHAT I'M ANGSTING ABOUT THESE ARE MY REASONS" monologues) and they are relayed through actions or through other characters' POVs. Hence, he is an easier target for multiple character interpretations (he's a selfish jerk; he's loyal and good-natured; he's amoral; he's naive; etc...)

Idk. That's just pure speculation though.
    That's a great way of putting it. How Gon is portrayed is not so much of a negative of the manga as it is a low. People find it hard to like him because at that point they feel like Killua. No idea what he's thinking past what he says on the outside. It's unnerving. That sense of insecurity turns dislike into hate and nonchalance into dislike for a lot of people. I'm on the side that thinks Gon's exact thoughts on the issue should be brought to light before he can be legitimately hated as a character, which will most likely never happen. That's a flaw of the HxH manga for me. But it might not be for others.

Well. At least we get to see Killua's yoyo skills. He never picks up the skateboard again though.

I wish there's still hope for Leorio's knife skills.
    With the way the series tends to work, I think even Killua's yo-yos will be dropped soon. But maybe not, seeing as Killua's technically been "put on the bus". We can live with the knowledge that he still uses them off screen.

But seriously. How awesome would it have been for Gon to be using a Nen-enhanced fishing rod, Killua to use skateboard tricks (and yo-yos), Kurapika to integrate his chains along with his bokken swords, and Leorio to show some ninja-like knife skills? The fighting styles in HxH aren't as fleshed out as they could've been.

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    I don't know, I actually like that we don't see into Gon's inner thoughts as much. Yeah, we get glimpses of it, but a lot of it is along the lines of his determination and finding Ging. I think it helps that Gon is someone who is naively honest and says what's on his mind, whereas Killua is much more tactful in what he chooses to say to people. I don't see this is necessarily a bad thing, either. It's just the way Togashi has decided to portray his characters. Gon is cunning in his actions and observations, but he's not going to sit there and think through every little detail about everything (he relies on instinct, too), and for a character like that, you don't need long monologues and thoughts. Killua is the opposite of that. He overanalyzes, so we see his overanalyzing thoughts. Killua is the one who is more worldly and knowledgeable, hence his tirades about information regarding East Goruto and his "lecturing".

This dichotomy is best represented by the way the two characters express themselves with regards to their friendships. Gon will exclaim to the world that Killua is his best friend, as evidenced many times. I don't think Killua has ever outwardly expressed his affection for Gon by saying things like "he's my bestestest friend in the whole world" to others... but you see such expressions inside his head.
    Here's the thing though. Gon's mind isn't as one-way as people think. An example would be the dodge-ball match when he came up with a clever and complex way to catch Razor's ball on the spot. How many mental simulations (I still can't believe MH made him say that, lol) do you think he went through to come up with that? And these complex thoughts probably don't only happen in the gym. You can say "This is none of your business" is exactly what Gon was thinking word for word, but at the same time we don't know why he was thinking it. It leaves a gaping hole in the Ant Arc because we'll never really know.

Wow. I'm just being really negative, aren't I?
    Last edited by Riruru; May 22, 2013 at 02:00 AM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not enough hisoka.

Hunters are like anbu, they get killed so easily

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a great way of putting it. How Gon is portrayed is not so much of a negative of the manga as it is a low. People find it hard to like him because at that point they feel like Killua. No idea what he's thinking past what he says on the outside. It's unnerving.
    Maybe it's hard because he's supposed to be the one we're rooting for, being a main character and all. And because of Togashi's treatment with him, we're not sure what exactly we're cheering for here.

Basically, it's easier for the audience to sympathize with Killua than with Gon.

But seriously. How awesome would it have been for Gon to be using a Nen-enhanced fishing rod, Killua to use skateboard tricks (and yo-yos), Kurapika to integrate his chains along with his bokken swords, and Leorio to show some ninja-like knife skills? The fighting styles in HxH aren't as fleshed out as they could've been.
    I think Togashi is still imaginative when it comes to fights, but he's now gearing more towards Nen rather than weapons. I wish he would integrate the weapons with the Nen more too (aside from chains and vacuum cleaners and cards and paper and coins and... okay there's actually more of them than I thought but still). I think that would be a different kind of interesting.

Here's the thing though. Gon's mind isn't as one-way as people think. An example would be the dodge-ball match when he came up with a clever and complex way to catch Razor's ball on the spot. How many mental simulations (I still can't believe MH made him say that, lol) do you think he went through to come up with that? And these complex thoughts probably don't only happen in the gym.
    Regarding mental simulations... Now that I think about it, that doesn't seem too out of character. In the Hunter Exam, we got this (pretty rare) glimpse of his thought process where he learned how to hunt (this was when he was looking for a way to get Hisoka's tag). Step-by-step, he basically covered:

> learning to approach without being seen (by observing Pokkle).
    > how to use his rod effectively
    > how to apply that to moving objects.
    > how to get the timing right.
    > how to apply that to living creatures by learning to anticipate their movements.

Also remember his fight with Gido in Heaven's Arena where he used his rod to lift the floorboard to stop his spinning? And again with more floorboard tactics during his match with Hisoka? I think if Gon stayed calm he can make decent tactics himself. Unfortunately when he gets emotionally charged, well...

The difference between Gon and Killua is that Killua analyzes everything (well, not everything per se, but he has a wider scope than Gon and he probably sees the bigger picture) whereas Gon analyzes (I think there's a better term for this but I can't think of one) whatever he puts his mind to. And we all know when Gon sets his mind on something, nothing can sway him. At least, that's how I see it, but it's really hard to tell how Gon thinks. XD

Anyway. I kinda wish we get more moments like that. Hunting for Hisoka's tag is still one of my favorite moments in HxH, probably 'cause that's one of the rare moments we get to see his thought process. I thought it pretty cool since he thought of everything from the approach to the timing and also predicting the prey's movements.

Wow. I'm just being really negative, aren't I?
    I actually like hearing your thoughts, lol. I would apologize for the word vomit, but I think you guys are used to it by now since this is a HxH forum.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not that Gon has a one-track mind, it's that he will set his sights on something and won't stop until he finds it. He has goals. As demonstrated many times in the manga, he's capable of analyzing a situation and doing what he needs to do to get things done. The hunting example during the Hunter Exam, the fight with Gido, and in the fight with Genthuru we see his thought process and how much pain he's in after he gets his hands blown off. I agree that aside from the "We're going to get Kaito back!" inner monologues, we see a lot more of the arc from Killua's perspective, but Killua also overanalyzes everything. And you see that in his inner thoughts. Gon will analyze something and is much more decisive in sticking to what he plans on doing. He'll take a moment to analyze the situation and then do it. Killua is more likely to sit there and plan everything out. That doesn't mean Gon isn't incapable of tactics, he's not bad at it. But there are some things Killua will catch onto that Gon will not.

Where Gon's downfall is that he can be too stubborn and get himself into sticky situations, Killua's downfall is that he overanalyzes everything. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and the way Togashi portrays this is true to the characters, IMO.
    Last edited by kindredxiuxiu; May 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member MadieV's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HP2009Eagle View Post
    Not enough hisoka.

Hunters are like anbu, they get killed so easily
    LOL at that reference. I always thought ANBU was like the most badass organization in the Naruto world, mann was i wrong.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Riruru's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Togashi is still imaginative when it comes to fights, but he's now gearing more towards Nen rather than weapons. I wish he would integrate the weapons with the Nen more too (aside from chains and vacuum cleaners and cards and paper and coins and... okay there's actually more of them than I thought but still). I think that would be a different kind of interesting.
    I think you're missing the point a little. Sure, those characters who integrated weapons into their Nen are there. They fight and are really good at it. But let's step away from weapons for a second. What's missing for me is the innovation in fighting styles we were talking about. I've seen many shounens before. With stuff like Naruto flipping around using the same 4 attacks for well over 100 episodes but in different ways and Luffy bringing his mid to low tier devil fruit into the big league, HxH falls well short of that creative mark that the others have. Forgetting about the "big three" though, I think the best example here would be Hitman Reborn (except Gokudera I suppose). The Mukuro and Varia arc had some of the best fights in terms of creativity I'd ever seen.

Hisoka throwing a card or Shizuku hitting someone with her vaccum just doesn't cut being a fighting style. Instead of building on them, Togashi has a habit of replacing their styles all together for a "newer, better, stronger" (quote quote) one. It can work but leaves a strange taste in my mouth each time.

Regarding mental simulations... Now that I think about it, that doesn't seem too out of character. In the Hunter Exam, we got this (pretty rare) glimpse of his thought process where he learned how to hunt (this was when he was looking for a way to get Hisoka's tag). Step-by-step, he basically covered:

> learning to approach without being seen (by observing Pokkle).
    > how to use his rod effectively
    > how to apply that to moving objects.
    > how to get the timing right.
    > how to apply that to living creatures by learning to anticipate their movements.

Also remember his fight with Gido in Heaven's Arena where he used his rod to lift the floorboard to stop his spinning? And again with more floorboard tactics during his match with Hisoka? I think if Gon stayed calm he can make decent tactics himself. Unfortunately when he gets emotionally charged, well...

The difference between Gon and Killua is that Killua analyzes everything (well, not everything per se, but he has a wider scope than Gon and he probably sees the bigger picture) whereas Gon analyzes (I think there's a better term for this but I can't think of one) whatever he puts his mind to. And we all know when Gon sets his mind on something, nothing can sway him. At least, that's how I see it, but it's really hard to tell how Gon thinks. XD

Anyway. I kinda wish we get more moments like that. Hunting for Hisoka's tag is still one of my favorite moments in HxH, probably 'cause that's one of the rare moments we get to see his thought process. I thought it pretty cool since he thought of everything from the approach to the timing and also predicting the prey's movements.
    Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    It's not that Gon has a one-track mind, it's that he will set his sights on something and won't stop until he finds it. He has goals. As demonstrated many times in the manga, he's capable of analyzing a situation and doing what he needs to do to get things done. The hunting example during the Hunter Exam, the fight with Gido, and in the fight with Genthuru we see his thought process and how much pain he's in after he gets his hands blown off. I agree that aside from the "We're going to get Kaito back!" inner monologues, we see a lot more of the arc from Killua's perspective, but Killua also overanalyzes everything. And you see that in his inner thoughts. Gon will analyze something and is much more decisive in sticking to what he plans on doing. He'll take a moment to analyze the situation and then do it. Killua is more likely to sit there and plan everything out. That doesn't mean Gon isn't incapable of tactics, he's not bad at it. But there are some things Killua will catch onto that Gon will not.

Where Gon's downfall is that he can be too stubborn and get himself into sticky situations, Killua's downfall is that he overanalyzes everything. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and the way Togashi portrays this is true to the characters, IMO.
    At this point, just saying that Gon doesn't think, has no other motive or reason past the one in front of him when he's mad would be the easiest explanation. But to me, him going "this is none of your business" to Killua doesn't insinuate being someone who's gone over the edge. From "I will avenge Kite" to that would require a few steps, just as how "we need to catch Razor's ball" to "I stand here, Killua stands here and does this, Hisoka...etc." requires steps inbetween. As we all know, the adventure there is more important than the results; especially when the main character is involved. The problem is it's missing most of the time in this series.

I actually like hearing your thoughts, lol. I would apologize for the word vomit, but I think you guys are used to it by now since this is a HxH forum.
    Word vomit is cool when it's a nice color.

I guess I'm just not the type to favor the character who's most easy to like.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Popo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

How Gon was portrayed
    Notice I say how Gon was portrayed, not Gon's character itself. Since the GI arc he hasn't been getting fair insight in the manga. Gon's just been a mess and not given much light in the Ant Arc while Killua got all the monologues and we only saw his point of view. Now everyone's been either hating or having mixed feelings on him. As a result threads like these almost always turn into controversial discussions about Gon. While the much less mature forums merge into bashing-palooza. It gets irritating after the 93rd GonHate YouTube comment and 807th KilluaKillsHim fanfic.
    Haha, I guess there are two camps. Gon is my favorite character and I believe he's the one best portrated in the series. I like that he doesn't have too many monologues; it really makes me pay attention to the times in which he does think something important (in Madhouse's adaptation, you'll notice that the screen behind him fades to black).

Lack of female characters
    Sure I could complain about this. But I've seen Hitman Reborn for gosh's sake. HxH looks like friendship is magic in comparison.
    Hunter x Hunter is a Shonen series...literally, a series for adolescent boys. The values and ideas in it aren't meant for girls, which is why so few of them exist in the series. What's funny about this post is that Hitman Reborn is a Shonen series for girls...it didn't start that way, but once the popularity among female readers became apparent, the writer changed it into a pretty-boy bash.

Unresolved conclusions
    These can be good depending on how it's written. Actually Togashi has a habit of writing great unresolved conclusions to his arcs. How the Election arc ended? Not one of them. Now I actually like how Gon's anger issues weren't fixed. That really leaves potential for him to overcome that on his own (or maybe not) later on in the series when his best friend isn't around. But his 9 year strife with Killua was just too much to end in a single speech bubble. Heck, a panel or two page spread would've been miles better. I don't care what anyone argues about it being genius writing or whatever. That part was just being lazy.
    I don't think that Gon's friendship with Killua ended. But rather, Killua was being silent about what really angered him. Gon realized that he had said something unacceptable and has to live with the consequences. Both boys have their own paths and their own dreams. The fact that they remained silent about their emotions despite the pain that they felt was really masculine.

Fighting Styles
    This one is more of a personal thing. When I first picked up HxH and started reading, I was excited as crap that Gon had a fishing rod as his main weapon. It's rare when you see that kind of improvising in an anime that isn't a Magical Girl Transformation one. Then halfway in Heavens' Arena he stops using it on the reason that he's borrowing Ging's power when in truth the only thing he's borrowing is the hunk of wood. Now we barely see it. Gon's reverted to the typical fists shounen character. It was a bit of a letdown for me. Seems like Togashi really gave up an innovative fighting style because he just ran out of ideas for it. Which happens to a lot of his characters, really (ie. Killua, Kurapika).
    I can't think of an ability that I like better than JaJanken, tbh. Whenever Gon uses his fists, I'm always reminded of his humiliating defeat by Hisoka during the Fourth Phase of the Hunter Exam and his retribution in Heavens Arena. To me, it somewhat seems to symbolize someone who refuses to allow himself to be violated. The fishing rod is more of a tool to be used for hunting, instead of a weapon.

^ Haha. Well this is a case of "just because everyone does it, doesn't make it right."

Killing off characters can be a cheap way to bring drama. We know it's possible to almost never kill anyone off while still doing what you stated there. Just watch One Piece. Not killing off anyone unless it's sure to be impact-full to the plot is one of the reasons that a lot of OP fans are drawn to the series in the first place. Now don't get me wrong. I hate it when writers are not gutsy enough to kill any named characters off. I much prefer what HxH does over One Piece (if I had to pick between the two extremes in this case). But using death just to set a mood is not my cup of tea. Togashi could've given Pokkle (or anyone else who isn't main) some epic tragic side story involving the ants and done something really innovative for him. Sure it would involve more effort than churning out a panel of his guts spewed out. But instead he chose to kill him and about every side character that appeared in the arc. Just look at it like this: everyone dying can be just as unrealistic as no one dying.

All I'm saying is that death to me can be a sign of lazy writing. Might not be that way for some.
    Sometimes, I feel like too much focus on death is melodramatic, especially when writers try to make a death into some large tragedy. I much prefer what Hunter x Hunter does--death sort of just happens and you deal with it. There's no overblown focus when a character dies because that's the world they live in--you kill or you're killed. You hunt or you're hunted. That's the end of it. It's rarely dramatic in the series, and I like that. Characters die offscreen, like Pokkle, Youpi, and Pouf.

Maybe it's hard because he's supposed to be the one we're rooting for, being a main character and all. And because of Togashi's treatment with him, we're not sure what exactly we're cheering for here.

Basically, it's easier for the audience to sympathize with Killua than with Gon.
    I disagree with this; I think that both characters are easy to sympathize with. It simply requires you to see the world from their point of view--their ideologies are different, but I understand both of them.

At this point, just saying that Gon doesn't think, has no other motive or reason past the one in front of him when he's mad would be the easiest explanation. But to me, him going "this is none of your business" to Killua doesn't insinuate being someone who's gone over the edge. From "I will avenge Kite" to that would require a few steps, just as how "we need to catch Razor's ball" to "I stand here, Killua stands here and does this, Hisoka...etc." requires steps inbetween. As we all know, the adventure there is more important than the results; especially when the main character is involved. The problem is it's missing most of the time in this series.
    Gon does think. He's always thinking. The reader just hears less of it.

Him saying "this is none of your business" to Killua was how he felt in the moment. Killua was trying to cool him down and Gon essentially is trying to tell Killua "you don't understand how I feel about this."

Gon is right--Killua has no idea how strongly Gon felt about Kite until it's too late. But Gon also has no idea how much Killua cares for him--the strength in feeling is the same. The reader knows because we have access to many of Killua's thoughts, but Gon never realizes how strong of an impact he's made on Killua.

13. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5