Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Character Designs - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Character Designs - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Hunter x Hunter has throughout the years introduced us to some pretty awesome character designs, as well as some that are weird and others that are just plain ugly. In this thread we'll each share our favourite character designs, as well our least favourite. We can even discuss other things related to character designs, like for instance what future designs we'd like to see be made to a character.

I'll begin by listing some of my favourites:

Gon's Classic Design
    I honestly can't for the life of me comprehend how someone could dislike Gon's design. I love his untamed spiky hair (particularly in the new anime), his eyes of gold, and his somewhat dorky green jacket, shorts and boots combo, and even the fishing rod. It's iconic and perfect for our protagonist!

Spoiler show

Kurapika's Classic and Yorknew Designs
    I love the whole Chinese-esque wardrobe that Kurapika has. His original design is simple, but the colours match nicely. His Yorkshin clothes are even better, making him look much more badass. I prefer the shorter hairstyle he had earlier in the series compared to the longer one he has now though.

Spoiler show

Hisoka's Heaven's Arena Design
    My favourite of Hisoka's designs. At first I found the ball on his lower torso to be pretty WTF, but now I've grown to love it. I love the outfit's colours, and I also love Hisoka's colours in the new anime, be it his skintone, eye colour and especially his fabulous pink/blue hair (which looks great no matter which style he wears it).

Spoiler show

And now some of my least favourites:

Saccho
    He's just plain ugly overall. I mean that face is just painful to look at. On the plus side I do kind of like his outfit and it's choice of colours.

Spoiler show

Gon's Transformation
    If the purpose of this design was to be unappealing, it worked. Gon just looks awful, from the contrast between his overgrown body and child-size clothing, to his WTF hair. Gon really did look like a monster. I hope that the anime gives him a Nen shroud to make him look less ridiculous.

Spoiler show

Your turn!

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Spectrum's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Character Designs - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I love Killua's design. Is the best design imo, he could be the main character lol

I guess my least favourite design is some ants...

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Invertroid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I kind of like Gon having crazy long hair in his transformation, but I agree that his overall appearance isn't very appealing. It definitely fits given the situation, but something about Gon being so huge and muscled feels strange. His exaggerated appearance, however is probably only the result of his
    Spoiler show
    and doesn't reflect what he would look like if he aged normally. When he does grow up, I would hope he would be proportioned similarly to his father.

I don't have a lot of time to go into great detail about all the character designs from HxH I love and hate (I'm actually typing this sitting in a college class). However, I will say that one of my most consistently favorite character designs is Killua. His appearance can fit both badass and adorable expressions and he's always been one of the sharpest dressers in the series.

Ironically, I'm not a huge fan of how he appears in the old Nippon anime. They made him look a little too edgy and underplayed his cute qualities. I also absolutely hate dat light pink shirt he wore in the beginning.

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member zzigg's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

i really like Saccho despite having that weird horse face ..sometimes weird characters can be cool somehow ..i like the diversity in designs in hxh.

..i like about that character his purple kimono with the roses in the bottom .and two swords ..the tattoos in his hands.
    he a counselor he must be clever
    am sure he has a more weirder nen ability am dying to know more about this character

Last edited by zzigg; April 30, 2013 at 07:31 PM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Spectrum's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by souhail View Post
    Who is that character? I don't remember

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Keirin's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Being ugly doesn't necessarily mean the design is bad. Some characters are just meant to look horsey :P

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Saccho_Kobayakawa

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Salce's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think Gon's transformation is supposed to look bad. It is not like a power-up or "special mode", but more like an abomination.

Togashi has a lot of variety in his designs. You can find characters with weird forms like in One Piece, realistic characters with small eyes like real people, and typical anime characters like Gon, Kurapika, or Biscuit. And every point in-between.

I personally like the style with round noses that he has developed lately. Like Amane, or Kurapika and Pairo in Kurapika's reminiscences.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member zzigg's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    it's a manga character

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member heron bpv's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

- Gon overall. Particularly his Yusuke-outfit during the later parts of the chimera ant's arc (look at the new ED for the anime to understand) and the awesome outfit during the dodgeball game. Also, Über-Gon is meant to look Über (and Über cool as well)! :B
    - Also, I like how some normal looking characters fit in contrast to the weirder ones in the world of HxH. In that category, I mean Leorio, Wing, Netero and Zeno in particular.
    - Biske. In the matter of contrasts, she is a big one in herself, and I do enjoy how it plays both in her design and in her personality.
    - Chimera ants. As a whole. I made a comment about it recently in the anime discussion. In particular, Zitoh, Hagya/Leol, the Koala ant, and of course, Meruem and the Royal Guards are some of my favorites!
    - The Jūnishin. It's really funny the contrast between their degrees of transformation (look-wise), and I like how it ended up looking. It's cool, and different!
    - The ant suppression team's character designs as a whole. Besides the one in the below comment, who deserves a observation of his own.
    - And my two most favorites: the second being Morau (a giant-looking, shades-wearing, pipe-smoking, deep-purpling cool sailor with a design that is both charismatic and intimidating; almost can't get more manly than that) and numero uno goes to... Kaito of course! (doubts? He's my definition of awesomeness for HxH).

Also, no real design that I dislike enough to make a comment on. Sorry!
    Last edited by heron bpv; April 30, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
    "You can never be certain of any outcome. That is the battle involving nen!
    But even so...
    You fight with 100% confidence that you will win!
    That's the true spirit of a nen-user.
    " - Morau

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Salce's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heron bpv View Post
    - Gon overall. Particularly his Yusuke-outfit during the later parts of the chimera ant's arc (look at the new ED for the anime to understand)
    More like the first part of the arc. He wears that during their first time in NGL.

I agree about Gon design during dodgeball. He looked really cool with the necklace and the bandana.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i love shizuku from the PT she is very kawaii that innocent nerdy smart girl look

Spoiler show

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Meso's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS THREAD!? How has no one spoken of the awesomeness that is Chrollo Lucilfer's badass shirt and coat!?
    "It's the things that you cannot possess, that are the most beautiful": (Gilgamesh to Saber during his defeat)

"Me? Stop you? Don't worry, there's no chance of that happening..": (Kurapika's eyes turning red at Hanzo beating up Gon)

"Fuck you asshole! We have just as much say as the rest of you in this bullshit!" (Takashi to the adults during the Zombie Outbreak)

22. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member heron bpv's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Cause Ryodan members are overrated around here, maybe? o.õ
    Or the regular posters are just sleeping xD
    "You can never be certain of any outcome. That is the battle involving nen!
    But even so...
    You fight with 100% confidence that you will win!
    That's the true spirit of a nen-user.
    " - Morau

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Meso's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

lol I'm not a huge fan of the troupe. They're great and all but.. Ehhh I'm more of a Chimera Ant fant. The three guards and the king.
    "It's the things that you cannot possess, that are the most beautiful": (Gilgamesh to Saber during his defeat)

"Me? Stop you? Don't worry, there's no chance of that happening..": (Kurapika's eyes turning red at Hanzo beating up Gon)

"Fuck you asshole! We have just as much say as the rest of you in this bullshit!" (Takashi to the adults during the Zombie Outbreak)

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast