Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: Is the Zentopia filler arc "canon" to you?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 74.07%
  • No

    3 11.11%
  • Maybe/Partially

    4 14.81%
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

  1. #1
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    Before things get out of hand in the current chapter arc:

    Do you think that the Zentopia filler Arc of the anime became canon or not?

    You know there have been one single and plain reference without Yukino mentioning the event towards Lucy in chapter 282 without bringing up any details nor Lucy nor Natsu confirming they were there.

    And now Cobra shows up in his post-timeskip character design in the latest chapter (#329) which was already revealed in the filler.

    How can those two single make an anime filler become canon? Can it even become canon as the anime only runs in Japan and is released in the US on DVD and BD?

    Discuss and vote.

  2. #2
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Milan
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    I watched the Zentopia arc and from what I've seen I'd say that it is partially canon, because it was mentioned briefly in the manga, but explored completely in the anime.

  3. #3
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    The extent to which people ignore the obvious fact that it occured is mindblowing.

    The manga explicitly said "The Zentopia incident happened". How could it be clearer than that?

    Besides that: fairy tail had to be involved because as you may have noticed Oracion seis (Who were the ones behind the incident and the cause of the deaths/loss of magic of many of the celestial wizards, which was confirmed to have occurred by Yukino) each gave up something to gain more power.

    Cobra gave up his eye when he was released from prison by a clone of Brain disguised as the head of Zentopia. This is why he has a scar over it and its closed in his manga appearance.

    He only gave up and had a change of heart when he met Kinana again and realised that Cuberous wasn't dead.

    But surely you must have explanations supported by the manga that prove Yukino was lying if you don't believe Oracion Seis were responsible for the Zentopia incident where she said many of the celestial mages lost their magic/died? Or an alternate explanation as to why the Church would have gone insane and started murdering people if it wasn't for the Brain clone becoming a cardinal and then giving false orders from the head of the church?
    Last edited by Lozmaster; May 01, 2013 at 11:39 AM.

  4. #4
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Milan
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lozmaster View Post
    The extent to which people ignore the obvious fact that it occured is mindblowing.

    The manga explicitly said "The Zentopia incident happened". How could it be clearer than that?

    Besides that: fairy tail had to be involved because as you may have noticed Oracion seis (Who were the ones behind the incident and the cause of the deaths/loss of magic of many of the celestial wizards, which was confirmed to have occurred by Yukino) each gave up something to gain more power.

    Cobra gave up his eye when he was released from prison by a clone of Brain disguised as the head of Zentopia. This is why he has a scar over it and its closed in his manga appearance.


    But surely you must have explanations supported by the manga that prove Yukino was lying if you don't believe Oracion Seis were responsible for the Zentopia incident where she said many of the celestial mages lost their magic/died? Or an alternate explanation as to why the Church would have gone insane and started murdering people if it wasn't for the Brain clone becoming a cardinal and then giving false orders from the head of the church?
    Did I say it didn't happen?
    I was just saying that it was briefly mentioned in the manga, but completely explored in the anime.
    In little words they expanded CANON material with FILLER ones.
    There's no need to be so aggressive dude....
    Last edited by Zasz; May 01, 2013 at 05:11 AM.

  5. #5
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lozmaster View Post
    The extent to which people ignore the obvious fact that it occured is mindblowing.
    The manga provides zero information about what actually happened in the Zentopia incident. People that don't watch the anime because it doesn't run in their country but the manga is officially published and they simply want to stay on the legal side can't ever know what exactly happened in that incident. In addition, the anime isn't the original work - the manga is. And that's why it's not canon.

    Simple, isn't it?
    Last edited by hoeru; May 01, 2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: F*ck this. Apparently some want to mistake this thread. Then, please. Fire at will.

  6. #6
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    It's canon.
    They talk about it in the real manga, so it did happen.
    Last edited by Doraku; May 01, 2013 at 09:03 AM.


    True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!
    ___________________

    Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

  7. #7
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    The manga provides zero information about what actually happened in the Zentopia incident. People that don't watch the anime because it doesn't run in their country but the manga is officially published and they simply want to stay on the legal side can't ever know what exactly happened in that incident. In addition, the anime isn't the original work - the manga is. And that's why it's not canon.

    Simple, isn't it?
    Do tell, what reason would Mashima have to reference the anime original arc, cite it as a cause of the reduction in Celestial Spirit wizards, go through the effort of doing a bunch of character design for it; then change the underlying story of the arc of "Oracion Seis breaks out of prison, manipulates Fairy Tail and the biggest church around and attacks a bunch celestial spirit wizards in order to obtain an ancient world destroying weapon, only to be stopped by Fairy Tail and friends? He's already stated on twitter that that core story was one he wanted us to have. That people that don't watch the anime, especially those in other countries, will be left out of knowing what happened is irrelevant. He doesn't need them to know details to have it be canon, and draw upon it for future story.

    You're basically saying "He mentioned it happening in the manga itself, but because he didn't give details in the manga, it didn't actually happen."

    Of course he doesn't give details of the incident at the time, the arc had barely started in the anime. Giving tons of details would spoil things massively. It would also be poor writing as everyone in the room would be familiar with the incident, so they'd be stating a bunch of facts everyone already knows for no reason.

  8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  9. #8
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    The manga provides zero information about what actually happened in the Zentopia incident. People that don't watch the anime because it doesn't run in their country but the manga is officially published and they simply want to stay on the legal side can't ever know what exactly happened in that incident. In addition, the anime isn't the original work - the manga is. And that's why it's not canon.

    Simple, isn't it?
    Obviously not judging by the poll results.

    As for your "anime isn't available but manga is!"Not only is it a straw man argument, its also a non-issue about whether the anime runs in your country or not. Anyone on this forum speaks english. Crunchyroll provides (Well, provided while the anime was active) subbed, legal, English language episodes for anyone with a subscription.

    Edit: And of course, the DVDs are slowly but surely catching up in english too.

    The manga says "Zentopia incident happened". Until you've got proof that it didn't, you don't have a leg to stand on. Especially not with the new fact that cobra is as we saw him in that arc, and has lost his eye which could only have happened when he broke out for that arc, in order to gain stronger magic.

    Unless you think that cobra is into self harming now for no reason?

    Plus, he had his change of heart at the end of the zentopia arc and cooperated with the
    Last edited by Lozmaster; May 04, 2013 at 02:45 PM.

  10. #9
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SerpentTailedAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Selfia, Norad
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    I'm kind of looking at this as "If you decided not to read the Tower of Heaven arc just because you didn't like Jellal, it's still part of the story."

    Canon isn't what happens in the original source work. Canon is anything considered genuine and official by the work. That's why Rowling can come out and say "Oh yeah, and Dumbledore is gay." The manga acknowledges that the Zentopia incident is a thing that actually happened. It acknowledges it as something that happened in relation to a decline in celestial wizards when, coincidentally, that arc had a ton of celestial wizards being hunted down and losing their magic. The work has considered the events to be canon. Seems simple to me.

    Also, I don't think I know anyone far enough in the series (outside of Japan) who would avoid watching the anime just because they can't do it legally, considering that to be keeping up with the story far enough to argue this, you pretty much have to be reading the manga online.
    Last edited by SerpentTailedAngel; May 01, 2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: forgot a point

  11. #10
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    Thailand
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,350
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    Things that the author admit to be true is canon to me. This includes One Piece: Strong World the movie, or Bleach movie about hell as well as this filler arc. They draw manga to support the movie. That's enough for me.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

    If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

  12. #11
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    I would say the zentopia incident and the filler in general are 100% completely and unquestionably cannon. The manga has made way too many references of it for it to not be as cannon as any chapter. We have the actual mentioning of the incident and the deaths it caused and we have cobra appearing following the events of the incident. Its not like that is the only event made cannon, everything concerning cuberius is completely cannon considering her numerous appearances in the manga. The zentopia incident has a direct influence on the manga plot and developments as of now, nothing is going to change that.

  13. #12
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted sarutobi_sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Country
    Portugal
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    Didn't Mashima say to the fans: Please see the current Anime arc because it contains information about the Zentopia Incident?

    I don't see how it's not canon. To me, it's simple, Mashimad had the base of the story but didn't have time to explain it on the manga, so he created the characters and story outline and the anime team did the rest.

    Just like in Bleach, most of the fillers consisted of Kubo's drawings and things he couldn't introduce in the manga. The filler when they enter Hueco Mundo, the Zampakuto rebellion arc and the filler arc before that one are all ideas of him that he passed on to the anime team. The Bount arc was another one of those arcs that didn't get to the manga but made it in the anime. Same as other small fillers like the ones where Ichigo's human friends and sisters fight against hollows.

  14. #13
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krono View Post
    Do tell, what reason would Mashima have to reference the anime original arc, cite it as a cause of the reduction in Celestial Spirit wizards,
    Teasing to promote. Another question would be: "Is the story written by Mashima?" So, is it?

    Oda is doing ALL character designs for the anime fillers and motion pictures whether they are canon or not. As he did it with the post-time skip character design of Coby and Helmeppo - the story they appeared isn't canon at all, how they look is though. Or the designs of Z, Ain and whateverhisnamewas. Their past is canon, what's been shown in Film Z isnt (as there is no introduction chapter which really HEAVILY points toward the movie)

    If one took these small glimpses as 100% confirmation, the first FT movie became canon, too, as some of the additional main characters were also designed by Mashima.

    I'm not saying that some Zentopia incident never happened - I'm only saying what the anime authors made out of it is not.
    Last edited by hoeru; May 02, 2013 at 10:03 AM.

  15. #14
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    Whats the relevance of the story being written or not by mashima? The important thing here is whether mashima acknowledges the anime events as cannon to his manga. The way things have been presented so far heavily suggest that the anime events are cannon to the story exactly as they were shown regardless of mashima writing them or not. What you are implying suggests that within the manga there was a relevant event to the story that was never actually shown in any plausible form but shares a name and consequences consistent with what we saw in the anime without those events being the same. Its absurd to be honest. Ultimately it wouldn't matter if the story was written by a creepy asian kid in congo living at his mother's basement while high on acid, whats relevant here is whether the manga acknowledges the events as cannon.

    The situation with the movie would be different. Has any movie event been referenced in the manga so far? Has the movie had any observable effect in the manga like the zentopia incident has (which it has considering the confirmed deaths of celestial spirit mages, kinana and the loss of cobra's eye)?
    Last edited by kkck; May 02, 2013 at 11:39 AM.

  16. #15
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,223
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zentopia Filler Arc - Canon or not?

    When did they talk about it in the manga ? I seem to have missed that part.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts