Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hunter X Hunter 1999 anime discussion

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Salce's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter X Hunter 1999 anime discussion

Quote Originally Posted by The Invertroid View Post
    I just really don't understand how people who are native English speakers end up hating on their own language when it comes to anime.
    I think japanese people say more through the tone of their voices than in other languages. For example, it's more common for them to scream in a non agressive way, like when they say "thank you!".

So, to fit the characters facial expression, voice actors in english (or spanish, for the case) try to imitate this effusive way of talking that japanese have. But it just doesn't sounds good in our languages.
    And when they don't try to do that and take a more subdued approach, according to our language, it doesn't fit the characters.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Invertroid View Post
    Do you actually understand Japanese? I find it hard to believe someone can determine whether a language is more "graceful" if they can't actually follow it's syntax (the arrangement of words and phrases in a sentence).

I just really don't understand how people who are native English speakers end up hating on their own language when it comes to anime.

-------------------------------------------

Just to keep this thread on topic, what does everyone think of the differences in color schemes between the two anime? I personally have never been a fan of many of Nippon's choices in this regard. Largely, their coloring was a little too subdued and muted for my tastes. especially when it came to characters and clothing. A number of color combinations in certain outfits were simply unappealing. I probably dislike Killua's light pink t-shirt and maroon long-sleeve shirt the most. The overall tone the colors create doesn't fit him well, at least to my eyes, and blends awkwardly with the other three main characters.

i understand alot of it, and im learning to write kanji

i know enough to know what im talking about in this situation

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

I like the artwork so far from the 1999 anime, the 2011 is superior in every way

but the 1999 does have a nice feel to it

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

i noticed some different hair color for a few of the characters

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Beans's Avatar
    Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    Does anyone have a good site to watch the 1999 anime on?
    I advise you to download it from a torrent site in a good quality rather than just watching it on a streaming site, I actually think that most free streaming sites are just annoying.
    ---

About the English dubs, the only anime that I can think of right now that had a really great English dub was Cowboy Bebop; the voices were great and they fit the characters almost perfectly, and sometimes I find myself preferring them over some of the original voices. Another anime I just remembered with a great dub is Samurai Champloo, which actually had some of the voices that was in the Cowboy Bebop dub. it kinda seems like director Shinichiro Watanabe works always get great dubs.
    I think that the English dubs can be really good if done right. You know, almost all of the american animated movies have great voice acting and I don't think that anime dubs should be of any different.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2