Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: since madhouse is doing such a phenomonal job with this anime

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

since madhouse is doing such a phenomonal job with this anime

do you think togashi should have them do a remake of yuyu hakusho?

the yuyu anime was great, but how amazing would it be if madhouse re-vamped it?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: since madhouse is doing such a phenomonal job with this anime

I'd be interested to see it. But I'm not sure it is necessary considering how great the original was.
    It is a different case to HxH which had a terrible first anime series and needed a second take.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No. Yu Yu Hakusho honestly does not stand the test of time. It was a mediocre and repetitive battle manga with an absolutely terrible ending that just had great characters (Togashi's strong suit). A lot of people (including me) like to look at Yu Yu Hakusho very fondly but that honestly is only due to nostalgia.

I personally would like to see a Madhouse tackle a reboot of Shaman King though. Very good manga and since the chapters themselves are pretty light on content they could probably get through the entire thing in under 100 episodes. That would also open the doors for an adaptation of Shaman King Flowers which is currently running and the flagship series of Jump X that will never be able to get animated unless Shaman King gets a new adaptation because it relies on the final events of the original manga to be properly understood and enjoyed.

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Invertroid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be opposed to a Yu Yu Hakusho remake, but I don't necessarily want one either. Most anime remakes happen when the original's have glaring flaws. This is not the case with the Pierrot YYH anime. It hit pretty much all the right keys when adapting its source material. Character personalities shown through, the fights were well choreographed, and it had spirit that I just don't think anyone could replicate today.

Besides aged animation in places, it really doesn't have many blatant flaws as an adaptation. It didn't go off and tell an original story like the first Full Metal Alchemist, which was the reason for Brotherhood. It also told a complete story from start to finish, unlike Nippon's HxH anime. A remake would certainly bring improved animation, but I don't think snazzier visuals is enough to justify reanimating it. I also don't think YYH is nearly popular enough in Japan today to warrant one either.

With all this said, I definitely would love to see YYH animated in some form again with modern technology. Something like the newer Dragon Ball Z films and mini-films would be ideal, in my opinion. Far more realistic, and likely less controversial, than a complete remake would be.

What I most want to see, however, is a crossover film between YYH and HxH.
    Last edited by The Invertroid; May 05, 2013 at 09:12 PM.

7. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Invertroid View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to a Yu Yu Hakusho remake, but I don't necessarily want one either. Most anime remakes happen when the original's have glaring flaws. This is not the case with the Pierrot YYH anime. It hit pretty much all the right keys when adapting its source material. Character personalities shown through, the fights were well choreographed, and it had spirit that I just don't think anyone could replicate today.

Besides aged animation in places, it really doesn't have many blatant flaws as an adaptation. It didn't go off and tell an original story like the first Full Metal Alchemist, which was the reason for Brotherhood. It also told a complete story from start to finish, unlike Nippon's HxH anime. A remake would certainly bring improved animation, but I don't think snazzier visuals is enough to justify reanimating it. I also don't think YYH is nearly popular enough in Japan today to warrant one either.

With all this said, I definitely would love to see YYH animated in some form again with modern technology. Something like the newer Dragon Ball Z films and mini-films would be ideal, in my opinion. Far more realistic, and likely less controversial, than a complete remake would be.

What I most want to see, however, is a crossover film between YYH and HxH.
    i enjoyed the yuyu anime, i just think newer animations and effects would send it over the top

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing is that YYH anime had a lot of original content, for one after I read the manga I thought that it had potential but really pales in comparison to the anime in fleshing things out, the whole thing if covered like manga material could easily be 64 episodes at the longest IMHO and there was so much that could have been done that was stated in the end that happened off-panel.

An anime that could be remade is Kenshin though which ended with fillers and had 50% fillers in the middle, had an OVA with debatable content and also took twists that the mangaka didn't necessarily like and more than that has been directed by the same director of HXH 1999.

Shaman King is also a good option also since Jump doesn't have much that can be animated in the following year besides a RomCom (Nisekoi)

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nensense View Post
    No. Yu Yu Hakusho honestly does not stand the test of time. It was a mediocre and repetitive battle manga with an absolutely terrible ending that just had great characters (Togashi's strong suit). A lot of people (including me) like to look at Yu Yu Hakusho very fondly but that honestly is only due to nostalgia.
    I couldn't disagree more with you. It lacked the sophistication of Hunter x Hunter, and I could understand someone raising the critique of it being repetitive, what with three different tournaments throughout the whole run (if you count up the episodes that take place during tournament arcs, roughly 60% of the show is taken up with tournaments). However, it is far from mediocre. The narrative of Yu Yu Hakusho is a highly intelligent analysis and deconstruction of binaries, and the ending is absolutely pivotal in this regard. We go form the construction of a human/demon binary at the very beginning, and with the introduction of Kurama (and to a lesser extent, Hiei) we immediately began the deconstructing of it. The Four Saint Beasts arc, often seen as the weakest arc, culminates in the demon antagonist recognizing the power of Yusuke's humanity, again deconstructing that binary. Then we have Toguro as a human turned demon, navigating the binary, and characters like Jin and Chu in the dark tournament, other full demons who are shown to still be great and likable people despite being demons, and the Black Black Club and Chapter Black which flips the hierarchical binary of humans = good and demons = bad on its head, and Sensui as being a human reacting to this (in the words of gay and African-American author James Baldwin, whose writings are primarily focused on binary navigation: "his dungeon shook"

"Try to imagine how you would feel if you woke up one morning to find the sun black and all the stars aflame. You would be frightened because it is out of the order of nature. Any upheaval in the universe is terrifying because it so profoundly attacks one’s sense of one’s own reality. Well, the [demon] has functioned in the [human's] world as a fixed star, as an immovable pillar: and as he moves out of his place, heaven and earth are shaken to their foundations."

Of course, I substituted demon and human for b;acl man and white man in Baldwin's writings.

Then we move to the last arc and the placement of Yusuke as a person on the intersection. Like a John Howard Griffin, forced to recognize and understand the other side of the binary - for now he is on the otherside - or, rather, he recognizes there is no otherside. That the binary is an illusion. Sensui faced this same realization, but failed in navigating this overturned world. Yusuke succeeded. And so the final arc is the culmination of that, and his attempt at overturning the demon world, and in the manga we end with the world's uniting, that illusory binary slowly disappearing.

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I think one of the great things (but of course not the only one) about the YYH anime is the nostalgia it brings up, but that could be me. It wasn't a bad adaptation.

I think the first FMA adaptation wasn't bad either considering how different the ending was. Though I'm glad they made Brotherhood too.

I would kill for a Shaman King remake though. I'm not fond of the ending in the anime (nor in the manga actually, but I still prefer the manga by a long shot). Shaman King just isn't complete without Osorezan Revoir and Matamune. (Though I really liked the music the anime used.)
    Last edited by Cinnabar; May 11, 2013 at 08:54 PM.

13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Yuyunarutoballz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

if anything needs a remmake, Yu Yu Hakusho is the furthest thing from it. Zatch Bell, RAVE Master, and Claymore desperately need remakes. Yu Yu Hakusho told its story, in full, and it was amazing. A remake of a manga that already has an anime that is pretty much the perfect shounen adaption would never live of to expectations. You say you want a Yu Yu Hakusho remake for the graphics? Okay, imagine a YYH with updated graphics but different choreographed fights, different events, different pacing, soundtrack, everything. YYH did all these things RIGHT. Why would you want to tamper with that and leave a possible sour taste in peoples mouths? Not to mention divide the fanbase with "Original YYH is better!!" "No, Madhouse YYH is better!!" We already have enough of that with HxH, even though one clearly outshines the other. Hell, I think it'd be even WORST in YYHs case. (Split fanbase that is)

Lets leave remakes to those shows that need it and didn't have satisfactory endings, unlike something that was already amazing as it was.

Rave only adapted half of its material. Zatch Bell had crap load of filler and missed the 2 biggest arcs at the end of the series. And Claymore... don't even get me started on Claymore. It's ongoing and MADHOUSEs adaption was pretty much perfect till the final 6 episodes where it went to total shit. Sad part is, the parts MADHOUSE didn't adapt have some of the best fighting in them, not to mention some of the best cliffhangers in the series, and the series as a whole really fleshes itself out with it's amazing plot twists and explanations as opposed to the first half before the time-skip where it was alittle information here and there and mostly fighting.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

YuyuNarutoBallz, I completley Agree with you Yu Yu Hakusho doesn't need a remake at all, I for one loved the ending by the way, and yes while I still have nostalgia for the series, guess what...I went back and rewatched the series from start to end, and I liked it even more than I did the first time around (the first time I watched it I only got to the Chapter Black arc, before it was taken off TV.), also the English Dub of Yu Yu Hakusho was awesome to me and one of the few really good ones.

I love Zatch Bell, and I never got to finish it, Im not sure If I would like a remake, I still really enjoy the anime version but I watched It in English and I really loved it, but around episode 100 they stopped the English Dub, and I was really hard trying to switch to the japanese dub, but yeah I know it never officially ended in the anime, but I don't think we are getting a remake, and I think Im fine with it, my memories of Zatch Bell will always be there, and I hope I can actually finish it, I was loving it before the stopped the dub.

Loved Shaman King, and the ending almost killed me the first time I saw it, and I would be okay with a remake, just as long as its good, the first is incredible. But you know I really want Hiroyuki Takei's (author of Shaman King) Ultimo to be animated, and I think I would rather get that at the moment.

I guess Im just not too fond of remakes if Im happy with the current ones, I absolutely loved both Fullmetal Alchemists, and Im extremely glad they made Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood as the first one's ending left me feeling unsatisfied (also helps that the stories were almost completely different.), I still tell people to watch both of them though.

anime that I really want a remake of though include Soul Eater (doesn't have to be right now), and Ao no Exorcist when it gets a lot more chapters.....And hopefully one day a continuation of D. Grayman or a remake, either one, D. Grayman was an excellent anime that left off at a spot where it could be picked right back up, but now that d. grayman is a monthly manga, and the author isn't as consistent year round because of health, I know it won't happen for a long time, I would have no problem with a remake at all.

P.S. I love manga and I like remakes as well, I have never watched/read Hunter X Hunter before Madhouse's version came out (so I am very grateful), but I also like when industries don't go remake happy (remakes now and then can be a great thing), but In America they seem to be remaking every movie under the sun and its starting to get really annoying, Sometimes it feels like they've stopped trying to come up with new stories (This is not completely true though, there are new stories, I was mostly trying to make a point.) Sorry for the rant guys.
    Last edited by leiatte; May 14, 2013 at 06:13 PM.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yu Yu Hakusho already has a great anime that covered the manga in It's entirety so I really don't see the point in remaking it. If you wanna know what needs! a remake... look no further than Rosario + Vampire! that garbage anime didn't follow the manga at all.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Meso's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yuyunarutoballz View Post
    if anything needs a remmake, Yu Yu Hakusho is the furthest thing from it. Zatch Bell, RAVE Master, and Claymore desperately need remakes. Yu Yu Hakusho told its story, in full, and it was amazing. A remake of a manga that already has an anime that is pretty much the perfect shounen adaption would never live of to expectations. You say you want a Yu Yu Hakusho remake for the graphics? Okay, imagine a YYH with updated graphics but different choreographed fights, different events, different pacing, soundtrack, everything. YYH did all these things RIGHT. Why would you want to tamper with that and leave a possible sour taste in peoples mouths? Not to mention divide the fanbase with "Original YYH is better!!" "No, Madhouse YYH is better!!" We already have enough of that with HxH, even though one clearly outshines the other. Hell, I think it'd be even WORST in YYHs case. (Split fanbase that is)

Lets leave remakes to those shows that need it and didn't have satisfactory endings, unlike something that was already amazing as it was.

Rave only adapted half of its material. Zatch Bell had crap load of filler and missed the 2 biggest arcs at the end of the series. And Claymore... don't even get me started on Claymore. It's ongoing and MADHOUSEs adaption was pretty much perfect till the final 6 episodes where it went to total shit. Sad part is, the parts MADHOUSE didn't adapt have some of the best fighting in them, not to mention some of the best cliffhangers in the series, and the series as a whole really fleshes itself out with it's amazing plot twists and explanations as opposed to the first half before the time-skip where it was alittle information here and there and mostly fighting.
    I COMPLRETELY AGREE WITH THIS! Rave Master's first anime was fantastic, I'm sad that it only got half way when things were getting intense. Yu Yu Hakusho could be remade. But I'd only watch the remake if they kept the original soundtrack. I'm sorry but the first anime was near perfect. I would mind it getting completely redrawn like the cutscenes for Dragonball Z Ultimate Tenkaichi. (Terrible game btw) I never watched Claymore but my Ex has a major love for it. Then there's Zatch Bell. The first anime was okay. I liked the dub of it on Toonami but I hate how they never gave it a proper ending. The show could seriously use a remake. I'd also like to see a remake of Shaman King. I loved the first anime to that but it wasn't true to the manga. It'd been ice to see flowers as well. Rurouni Kenshin could be remade. Cause I thought Shin Kyoto Hen sucked. I'd rather a whole remake than just a crappy Studio Deen recap told by Misao. I'd also like to see a Cowboy Bebop redrawn series. Now when I say redrawn I just mean redraw. Same music. Same story. Just better looking and more up to date while keeping the original art style.
    "It's the things that you cannot possess, that are the most beautiful": (Gilgamesh to Saber during his defeat)

"Me? Stop you? Don't worry, there's no chance of that happening..": (Kurapika's eyes turning red at Hanzo beating up Gon)

"Fuck you asshole! We have just as much say as the rest of you in this bullshit!" (Takashi to the adults during the Zombie Outbreak)

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply