Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ichigo's name having more meaning?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ichigo's name having more meaning?

Ok, so I was just thinking about how Ichigo's name means obviously ichi for one, and go for 5. Now bear with me for a minute, what is Ichigo? Well, he's a human, a shinigami, a hollow, a fullbringer, and a quincy. What if Isshin and Masaki named him Ichigo because he's the "one" that is of all "five" types of souls? Maybe they knew already? It kinda makes sense when ya think about it. What do you guys think? Am I over thinking things?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ichigo's name having more meaning?

I can only think of

Spoiler show
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think fullbringer constitutes a 5th type of souls to be honest. I would think fullbringer is simply a hybrid of human and hollow or perhaps a variation but not a 5th type of soul in the same contact as human, quincy, shinigami and hollow. It'd be interesting if the number 15 has some sort of relevance though.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Fullbring still gives him unique abilities though, regardless if it's a major change to how his soul work or not, it gives him possibilities to manipulate with particles.
    For example enhance his Getsuga Tenshou into a tiny point attack, similar to how Yamamoto improved his bankai to the point of his sword.
    However Ichigo at the moment can't control his Getsuga Tenshou once it's fired, perhaps Fullbring will allow that, just a theory anyway.

But the whole point about that is that Fullbring will turn out to be really useful, rather than just some garbage from an so far almost pointless arc.

But even so, what would be the 5th power? He's a Shinigami, Hollow, Quincy and Fullbring, what is missing? I can't think it's human, but maybe this is important somehow as well, allowing his soul to do something even more amazing... *shrugh*

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless I'm mistaken, didn't Isshin tell Ichigo that his name meant 'to protect one thing'?

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azuma View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, didn't Isshin tell Ichigo that his name meant 'to protect one thing'?
    Sure, but that would only make the idea of the OP even more unique and special. I mean, Ichigo would be the protector of all types of souls who can fight, in other words, the protector of everything, or if you will, one thing. Depends on the translation I suppose.

Edit: I kinda said it myself without realizing it till now, but that would allow for the 5th to be human.
    If Ichigo is the protecter of all aspects of life, then there would be 5.
    Last edited by Quantized; May 06, 2013 at 05:23 PM.

Country
    Bouvet Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Shinigami + Quincy + Hollow + Hogyoku + ???

Maybe Fullbring but I'm not sure because the properties are very similar to Hollow.

Even gods could not be absolutely certain whether they existed at the most fundamental level of reality or were themselves simulated.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's just what I said, all five spirit types, human, shinigami, hollow, quincy, and fullbringer all in one being. That's probably why the SK is interested in him at all.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Ichigo also means "Strawberry". LOL
    Anyway I wouldn't think too much about his name, also because it has been already explained throughly.

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zasz View Post
    Ichigo also means "Strawberry". LOL
    Anyway I wouldn't think too much about his name, also because it has been already explained throughly.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that this early, the OP makes a good argument.
    Besides I believe to have read somewhere the Kubo loves to think about such things as these, he might not be so interested in story telling, but he does love details and depth to his character names, and abilities.
    For that reason alone, it should be kept with an open mind, that there may be much more to Ichigo's name.
    While it's true it's a shounen, Kubo still loves this kinda stuff, so even if it's a shounen, it's still likely to have this level of detail.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

@Author: Quincy and Fullbringers are human. If you make HUMAN different thing,then you should make a soul, shinigami and hollow 3 different things as well, or you should cross out human. Then you have either 4 or 6 types, so your theory doesn't seem right.

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duniak View Post
    @Author: Quincy and Fullbringers are human. If you make HUMAN different thing,then you should make a soul, shinigami and hollow 3 different things as well, or you should cross out human. Then you have either 4 or 6 types, so your theory doesn't seem right.
    It really depends on what perspective you see it from, and thus, what perspective Masaki and Isshin did view it.
    You can't just say it can't work out, that's just your perspective.

Fullbring are humans yes, but they don't live like humans, and they got unique abilities.
    Who says it mosn't be the same type of soul? It could be aspects of lives, aspect of abilities, heck even realm of understanding.

Fullbringers see the world differently than Quincy, Quincy also have their own unique way to view the world.
    Humans are without any knowledge, they are the sheeps who needs protection.
    Shinigami and Hollow have their own views as well.

So if someone is to make peace between everyone with conflicting views, then Fullbring is fitting quite nicely into the picture as well.
    I doubt that the Ginjou gang was the only Fullbringers around, like Quincy, there turned out to be more, just not pure blood Quincies.

The whole point here is, it depends on what perspective you watch it from.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quantized View Post
    It really depends on what perspective you see it from, and thus, what perspective Masaki and Isshin did view it.
    You can't just say it can't work out, that's just your perspective.

Fullbring are humans yes, but they don't live like humans, and they got unique abilities.
    Who says it mosn't be the same type of soul? It could be aspects of lives, aspect of abilities, heck even realm of understanding.

Fullbringers see the world differently than Quincy, Quincy also have their own unique way to view the world.
    Humans are without any knowledge, they are the sheeps who needs protection.
    Shinigami and Hollow have their own views as well.

So if someone is to make peace between everyone with conflicting views, then Fullbring is fitting quite nicely into the picture as well.
    I doubt that the Ginjou gang was the only Fullbringers around, like Quincy, there turned out to be more, just not pure blood Quincies.
    Soul in Rukongai lives differently from Shinigamis and differently from humans. If Humans are different form than Quincies and Fullbringers, then Souls are different form than Hollow and Shinigami. Human is an empty shell, but that shell can be filled with some powers. Humans with spiritual pressure can become Quincies. Souls with spiritual pressure can become Shinigami. But there are anomalies. Soul without Soul Burial is consumed by negative emotions and becomes HOLLOW. If that Hollow attacks pregnant woman, her child becomes Fullbringer. So Human is different, but soul is not? Let's be consistent.
    Last edited by Duniak; May 07, 2013 at 05:14 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lee.J.Baxter's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

If Ichigo's name does have more meaning, there could be several possibilities;

The numeric meaning, "1" and "5", could relate to 5 races (Human, Shinigami, Hollow, Quincy and Transcendental), the 5 royal Guards, or the 5 points of the Quincy cross.

The meaning of "he who protects" could relate to the protection of everyone, or a particular person/thing. If it means to protect from harm, it could refer to Masaki. If it means to protect as in to contain, it could refer to Masaki's inner Hollow (perhaps the Hollow didn't pass on through genes, but jumped from Masaki to Ichigo; in this sense, Ichigo acts as a sort of cage for the Hollow).
    Predictions
    • Just as Quincies are evolved beings born from Humans, Shinigami are evolved beings born from Hollows.
    • Once Yhwach dies, Ichigo's Quincy powers will disappear and his soul will become unstable, causing the onset of Soul Suicide.
    • Yhwach isn't going to be the final antagonist.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the manga was supposed to end after the SS arc, no. Any other explanation than those given in the first arcs is a retcon, it's as simple as that isn't it?
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast