Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has Kubo made another timeskip without telling anyone?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Zeta42's Avatar
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Has Kubo made another timeskip without telling anyone?

When the story just began, Masaki had been dead for 6 years. After Aizen's defeat, 17 months have passed. We don't exactly know how much time passed between the beginning of Bleach and Aizen's downfall, but if we add that to those 17 months, we still can't get more than 2 years. Therefore, when the Fullbringer arc started, 8 years have passed since Masaki's death at most.

But now we have Chapter 537, which tells us Masaki died 9 years ago. So... What does that mean? Was there another large time gap between the Fullbringer and Vandenreich arcs? Or did Kubo mess up on this one?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has Kubo made another timeskip without telling anyone?

Hm.

Roughly 3 months passed between Rukia going to the Human World and Ichigo invading SS. Another 2 months passed between Ichigo saving Rukia and him invading HM. Then there's the 17 months timeskip. Another two months passed between Fullbring arc and the Quincy invasion. That adds up to a total of 24 months, which would mean two years. As you said, Masaki should've passed between the point we are at and Masaki's death. Kubo messed up I guess.

My guess is that he hadn't really thought this far ahead when he put Masaki's Six Year Anniversary but wants it to have passed 9 years so that it fits the whole 900, 90 and 9.
    Last edited by Azuma; May 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Jabman's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe at the beginning of bleach it was 6 years and how many ever months needed to make this make sense.

That said, I did notice ichigo's side-burn being wider which according to Kubo's art means he's aged. Just like how after 17 months passed after Aizen's defeat we saw thin sideburns on Ichigo which were never there throughout the manga before.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member DraMas26's Avatar
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

No it's just a minor retcon at most.

Ichigo got his Shinigami powers in mid-May:
    Spoiler show

Ichigo was 15 years old at the start of the manga so he turned 16 in July (right before the SS arc). The Arrancar arc ended around December (it was called the Winter War for a reason) and then there was a 17 month time skip so the FB arc began in May (I suspect it's at the same time Ichigo first got his Shinigami powers because it would make sense for Kubo to reboot Bleach's storyline at the same time it originally started). ATM Ichigo is 17 and is one month away from turning 18.

Since Ichigo is 17 now then he was 8 years 11 months old (one month away from turning 9) when Masaki was killed. So the year seems to have been right according to Isshin.

I guess there was a little bit of a retcon here since Tatsuki said Masaki died when Ichigo was 9 but actually Masaki died when Ichigo was 8 years and 11 months so he was almost 9. Since Tatsuki wasn't a member of Ichigo's family it would be believable if she forgot the precise date Masaki died since she died around the same time as Ichigo's birthday (July 15th). Then again Ichigo, Tatsuki and the others could have just been rounding up the age like most people tend to do near their birthdays.
    Last edited by DraMas26; May 17, 2013 at 04:09 AM.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

If the manga started in May and the Arrancar Arc ended around December, that puts us up at 7 months. With the 17 month timeskip, we'd be up at 24 months, or 2 years. If we round up Ichigo's age since his birthday was approaching, then he was 16 in the beginning and is 18 now, which doesn't add upp with Isshin's story since that once again shows that two years had passed. Masaki must have died when Ichigo was 10.

I think it's simply a retcon and an insignificant one at that. I read once that Kubo had decided to end things after the SS arc, originally, so it's not at all strange if he only picked an arbitrary number for the anniversary of Masaki's death. Now, however, he wants the 900, 90 and 9 for a reason as opposed to 900, 90 and 8.

Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azuma View Post
    If the manga started in May and the Arrancar Arc ended around December, that puts us up at 7 months. With the 17 month timeskip, we'd be up at 24 months, or 2 years. If we round up Ichigo's age since his birthday was approaching, then he was 16 in the beginning and is 18 now, which doesn't add upp with Isshin's story since that once again shows that two years had passed. Masaki must have died when Ichigo was 10.

I think it's simply a retcon and an insignificant one at that. I read once that Kubo had decided to end things after the SS arc, originally, so it's not at all strange if he only picked an arbitrary number for the anniversary of Masaki's death. Now, however, he wants the 900, 90 and 9 for a reason as opposed to 900, 90 and 8.
    Not really.

Ichigo is clearly stated to be 15 years old at the start of the manga:

http://www.mangapanda.com/94-8-4/bleach/chapter-1.html

He recieves his Shinigami powers on the same day. Thus he becomes a Shinigami first when he's 15 years old (not 16). Then after his re-encounter with Grand Fisher he turns 16 years old. He's 16 for the rest of the 1st half of the manga.

When Tatsuki/Ichigo says Masaki died when he was 9 years old and/or 6 years ago, Ichigo is currently (at that time) 15 years and 11 months old (because his birthday is in July and Masaki's death day was in June).

15 years 11 months - 6 years = 9 years 11 months which can be truncated to 9 years

Then he loses his Shinigami powers for 17 months. He's powerless when he turns 17 and remains powerless until 2 months before his birthday in which the Fullbring arc begins. The current chapter takes place one month after the Fullbring arc started so it makes sense.

In the latest chapter it was stated that Masaki died 9 years ago and currently Ichigo is 17 years and 11 months old (one month away from his 18th birthday).

17 years 11 months - 9 years = 8 years 11 months which can be rounded up to 9 years

The only difference is that this time they are rounding up the time while last time they didn't bother so it isn't really a retcon. Makes enough sense because people tend to round up numbers a lot (why else do store owners tell you that something costs $5.00 when it actually costs $4.90). It's a minor difference so it can be accepted as insignificant.
    Last edited by DraMas26; May 17, 2013 at 05:16 AM.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

You're being really inconsistent with your rounding though. You round both 8 years and 11 months, and 9 years and 11 months to 9 years? That's very illogical. By doing so, you're effectively shaving off a whole year which is far too much of a stretch. Not to mention that you present a claim that there's a norm of rounding things up, yet you round down 11/12 to 0.

Regardless of age, the fact remains that only two years have passed since the beginning of Bleach and the present. You said it yourself. Ichigo recieved his powers in May, Arrancar arc ended in December and then we had a 17 months time-skip. That totals 24 months, not 36. If it had been 6 years since Masaki died in the beginning of Bleach, then it should've been 8 years fromt he present. It makes more sense that only 2 years have passed given that Ichigo has yet to graduate from high-school.

PS: I know Ichigo was 15 years old in the beginning. But I stated that we might as well round it up to 16 since his birthday was approaching (he should've been 15 years and 10 months).
    Last edited by Azuma; May 17, 2013 at 05:28 AM.

Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

You're being really inconsistent with your rounding though. You round both 8 years and 11 months, and 9 years and 11 months to 9 years? That's very illogical. By doing so, you're effectively shaving off a whole year which is far too much of a stretch. Not to mention that you present a claim that there's a norm of rounding things up, yet you round down 11/12 to 0.
    There's a difference between rounding and truncating.

I know only a little over 2 years has passed since Bleach began. I explained it all in my previous post.

The calculation is slightly flawed but it still makes sense. Kubo obviously didn't plan out the exact dates but he still presented them in a coherent way.
    Last edited by DraMas26; May 17, 2013 at 05:46 AM.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DraMas26 View Post
    There's a difference between rounding and truncating.

I know only a little over 2 years has passed since Bleach began. I explained it all in my previous post.

The calculation is slightly flawed but it still makes sense. Kubo obviously didn't plan out the exact dates but he still presented them in a coherent way.
    I'd say it's very flawed, but all in all, it's just a minor detail.

Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it's very flawed, but all in all, it's just a minor detail.
    I was referring to how people usually don't use exact dates when recalling events from the past (unless they're doing an investigation into it). They'd want to say what it was rather than doing a careful arithmetic calculation. That's why I don't find what Kubo did to be a problem or even really a retcon. People do it all the time.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

If we disregard his age etc. and only look at the dates, though, it should only have been 8 years. We know that the six year anniversary of Masaki's death took place in June, a month after Ichigo became a Shinigami. Not 5 and a half, not 6 and a half, but exactly 6 years. We also know that the Arrancar Arc took place around the Winter. That means that it took place roughly 6 months after Masaki's anniversary. Then, we have a 17 month timeskip, which means that 23 months passed between the war and Masaki's death. Based on the odd number of 17 months, I assume Kubo wanted it to be May again, just like in the start of Bleach (as you said earlier), so this estimate is plausible. Regardless of the minor details caused by rounding etc. it shouldn't have been 9 years ago at this point, it should have been 8.

Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily. I guess it's a bit of a bad move by Kubo to use a different arithmetic system because it makes things a bit inconsistent but a lot of places do truncate numbers instead of rounding them up. For example Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLBBiguH10c

In less than a month this video will be 2 years older however:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...be.FKCWzoLCvfY

It says it was uploaded 1 year ago however currently it has been uploaded 1 year 11 months ago. Youtube didn't bother rounding it up. Instead it truncated it.

This is what I mean. It's done all the time in plenty of places. That's why I don't have a problem with it.

Everything else still fits for the most part. I'd argue that perhaps the date was even intentional by Kubo to help keep the time line hidden (similar to the true nature of Isshin's reiatsu and GT).
    Last edited by DraMas26; May 17, 2013 at 08:24 AM.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure. I am aware of that. But we know that Masaki died in the month of June. One month after Bleach began, it was once again June, and we were told that it's been six years since she died. So it should have been exactly six years since her death, given that the months are the same.

Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that was either a minor retcon (unlikely) or a calculation error (most likely) on Kubo's part. Technically it should have been 7 years ago. I'm pretty sure Kubo had this planned out back then because the chapters in which Ichigo fights Grand Fisher are named 6 17 (June 17th).

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, but I don't see how that shows that Kubo had planned it out. Please elaborate.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast