Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 756

Thread: Hulk's Stoppin In To Say Hi

  1. #166
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Arrogance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,070
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    Nice the thread is back

    It's not the first time that the leader of a cult (or possibly he wasn't even and the cult started somewhere else) was described as a holy, special person. Hubbard of Scientology also claims to know some universal truths only he knew before he spreaded it. Mohammed said he had contact to God, but Christians don't believe in the Koran nonetheless. Other religions exist as well and most have their divines.

    First off I take offense to you assuming Jesus Christ is a cult leader .....if you want to talk with me be respectful because I'm going to be respectful to you. Secondly your putting all religion in the same field assuming they all say the same thing while that is definitely not the case. The thing is Jesus was the first of his kind (and I would say only) in that He has the unique claim unlike anyone else that he is actually God. Also Mohammed came at the end of the first century and his writings were influenced by Catholics and Jews and there is even evidence of him confusing two different biblical passages together because he thought the Jews and the Catholics were talking about the same person when they really weren't. I do not deny that some people abuse religion, but the whole point of me being Catholic is that I recognize Jesus Christ as being the SOLE representative of the truth and disregard the other religions because I recognize Him as God. I do not disrespect anyone with any religion but I don't believe in all of them, only one.

    Of course it's explainable in other ways as well, but this was only about the point you mentioned that science was unable to answer the question. I only wanted to make sure to write why science is absolutely able to answer it.

    I still disagree because science is not something that is absolute . If it was it would have all the answers and it doesn't nor with it ever have them. Humanity will never have them because our existence in limited. We can progress in our understanding but we will never reach an end because frankly we'd have to become unlimited being and thats impossible.

    Ok, this is fun because it's a major internal dissent.
    You claim that mens' knowledge is too limited to explain anything scientifically.
    And the same time, religion claims to explain everything.
    This does not fit together.
    Now, the difference is: Religion is static. Someone says something, and this statement is treated as a static universal truth.
    Science does accept that we do know everything. It tries to ask a question, and then try to find an answer. This answer either just remains a theory -which means it's officially "no official truth", or it's beeing proven by the amount of logic we can use. Once it's proven wrong, the potential answer has to be scrapped or at least changed, so it can be tested again.

    Again another assumption. Religion doesn't claim it knows everything. Specifically Catholicism recognizes humanities inferiority to God in which we can't know everything. We wouldn't know anything about God if God Himself didn't choose to reveal Himself to us in Jesus Christ. We only know what we do know because of God. Catholicism doesn't claim to explain everything because only God can do it. It claims that we have RECOGNIZED the source of everything and have clarified as much as we can on the source as revealed to us through Jesus Christ, but we will never KNOW the source in itself because we would have to be God to do that.

    Gravity can be measured by different means. Then the measurements can be concluded into a mathematical system to describe gravity. This system then will either be proven universally right, or it will remain "just another theory", or it will be proven wrong and scrapped.
    Since it's rarely possible to find final evidence, it often just remains a theory: It's beeing used to predict something, than this prediction will be compared to reality; and when they meet each other, then the theory worked for the specific case. Once there is a case in which this does not happen, the theory has been proven wrong and will be scrapped.
    Of course this means that it takes a long, long, long, long time to eventually find a truth. But the good thing about that, is that it will actually change after it's been proven wrong.

    Right but that is not what I am saying. I'm saying that even if you can find mathematics to REPRESENT the existence of gravity, you can not actually encounter GRAVITY ITSELF. The mathematics are the evidence of the existence of a force yet you cant say you experience and come in one on one contact with the force and what it is really like. You look at the evidence and the effects of the force and have faith that it actually exists based on the evidence. That is that same I do with my faith in Jesus Christ is that I've seen evidence and things which point to something I cannot actually see and encounter in itself and chose to accept that it exists because I find it reasonable and likely based on my understanding.

    How can something like the Bible be compared with that? It cannot. It just claims "this is universal truth" and makes a bunch of claims which cannot be proven wrong - however, it does not mark them as "just a theory", but claims them to be universally true. It's stupid.

    The Bible is a theological text and as I would say is supposed to be a reflection of God and who he is. If its really God, then its supposed to be universal truth because that is what God is, and more. The Bible isn't science, God isn't science but beyond that. Its not stupid because frankly if the Bible was to be a "theory" then I'd scrap it and put it along every other scientific theory out there BUT I DONT because I recognize it as dealing with God who deserves to be above all science since He's creator. Again with the "Its stupid" comment, you want to talk to me, then do it with some respect .

    The same dissent. We cannot prove anything, but religion contains universal truths - these concepts don't fit together. If we cannot prove anything, but only could use proven facts, then in what way would religion be better than science? Simple answer: It is not.
    Science tries to prove facts as far as we can with our human senses and intellectual capacities. And, other than religion, it obviously showed quite some success! We can build diverse high tech machines. We can build computers. We can build a rocket. We can produce, measure and predict electricity. If science was all wrong, how could this possibly work? Do you believe in such an amazing coincidence, that all of this scientifical stuff just works out randomly although our science was unrelated to the real world?
    NO my point is that I believe science as well, but I'm correlating the act of faith one makes even with science with the act of faith I make in Christ. Evidence for something doesn't necessarily equate to you KNOWING the object of discussion. In science all we have is mathematics which are numerical representations of how things are and because we trust in those representations of something that is true, we can progress technologically. I don't think it is all coincidental, that is also my point why I believe in God as well because the universe contains all these complex truths in science that it is just unfathomable to acknowledge it as all just being coincidence.

    On the other hand, what is the success of religion, any kind of event which would be a hint that religion was right? Some miracle healings, some old stories. Unrelated to our lifes. It looks kinda scarce compared to the accomplishments of science.

    There are many miracles and healing associated with Catholicism. I've heard MANY cases in which people were miraculously healed of cancer when the doctor told them they were terminally ill. I've had personal miracles. There have been WIDE range miracles such as the Miracle of the Sun in Fatima in which 30,000 to 100,000 people witnessed the sun do miraculous things such as rapidly moving across the sky, and this was just after an apparition of Mary (Jesus' Mother).
    I'd also say that its supposed to be scarce in comparison to science because if it could easily be analyzed by science and explained then it wouldn't be a miracle .

    Answers in green. After this no more. I'm tired of this and I don't like the tone of how your presenting your side. If I am to have a discussion I want it to be something I enjoy and that can be done respectfully and in a friendly manner and I'm not getting any of this from you. Thanks

  2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #167
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    My god, I thought this ended. -_-

    Going to something less controversial, where have you visited abroad? I vaguely recall you came to Europe, Croatia was it?
    Certified Mafia Game Shit Talker

  4. #168
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Arrogance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,070
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    My god, I thought this ended. -_-

    Going to something less controversial, where have you visited abroad? I vaguely recall you came to Europe, Croatia was it?
    I went on vacation to Croatia two summers (was in Italy and Slovenia a few times on that trip as well ) ago and then I've been to Canada. Those are the only two times I've been outside the country . I would like to go more but it can be costly. Maybe Ireland at some point would be nice especially since I am half Irish.

  5. #169
    Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    Sweden
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    Consider this a spam post if you want but I just wanted to say that I'm sad of the outcome of the discussion. Both the tone of the none-believers, and also the fact you had to close your thread. It was one of the few serious discussions here and I "somewhat" enjoyed reading it.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

  6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
  7. #170
    Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Country
    Belgium
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    open thread you say


  8. #171
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Arrogance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,070
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Blai View Post
    Consider this a spam post if you want but I just wanted to say that I'm sad of the outcome of the discussion. Both the tone of the none-believers, and also the fact you had to close your thread. It was one of the few serious discussions here and I "somewhat" enjoyed reading it.
    No trust me Blai, I enjoy these type of discussions as well, otherwise why the heck would I be studying to be a Theologian and a Philosopher ? Its just that the discussion is something that needs to be done properly and respectfully and that just wasn't happening. Instead I was just getting bombarded in a troll-like manner and thats not how I'm going to conduct this discussion.

    That being said if anyone EVER has a question regarding anything and wants a serious answer from me just to clarify what I believe, what the Catholic Church says, or what I think on a matter they can ALWAYS ask me. I just don't like when it escalates to what it came to this time.

  9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
  10. #172
    Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Country
    Belgium
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    dude you do know i wasent trolling you yesturday. just i dont have many people i knew who religious so was just curious .

  11. #173
    MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Café Alpha
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    4 Papers and 3 tests?
    Good luck with that.I myself only have 1 test left,which is rather minor.And 2 big presentations and an art project....but at least it' only 9 more days at school.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blai View Post
    Consider this a spam post if you want but I just wanted to say that I'm sad of the outcome of the discussion. Both the tone of the none-believers, and also the fact you had to close your thread. It was one of the few serious discussions here and I "somewhat" enjoyed reading it.
    Yeah same here.I didn't even mean to troll,i was just curios and wanted to know Hulk's exact point of view.

    I don't know if am allowed to reply anymore....

  12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  13. #174
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Arrogance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,070
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Hystzen View Post
    dude you do know i wasent trolling you yesturday. just i dont have many people i knew who religious so was just curious .
    Well then be curious in a more respectful tone instead of blurting things out that are assumptions as if they are mater of fact :/

    Thats one of the issues and I find is that SOOOO many people assume things and just aren't true and the come to the table thinking thats the way things actually are, when they really aren't. I have no problem clarifying things first but when FIVE people bombard me, all doing the exact same thing, all having misconceptions of their own, and all stating them as if they are fact, then I can't do anything about that.

  14. #175
    Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    Sweden
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    Was just about to say. There's more than one way to ask a question, there's also more then one way to answer one. Especially religious subjects are very important to be discussed in a delicate manner.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

  15. #176
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Arrogance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,070
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Blai View Post
    Was just about to say. There's more than one way to ask a question, there's also more then one way to answer one. Especially religious subjects are very important to be discussed in a delicate manner.
    Well I would disagree with the more than one answer to a question per se. It really depends on what we are talking about. The problem with saying things can be answers in more than one way means that you take a Pluralistic approach to truth, which I do not because that completely goes against Jesus Christ and God. In my approach to reality, I follow and Objectivist position in which there is a set truth, or a set object that is outside of you. Humanity itself may indeed be pluralistic and have different views and opinions, but no all opinions and truths are right. An extreme example is if someone says the sky is blue and someone else says its red, they can't both be right. It either is or it isn't.

    But if your just talking about the MANNER in which one asks and/or answers a question, no the answers themselves, then I would agree with you and you can ignore what I just said .

  16. #177
    Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    Sweden
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    Yes, I was talking about manners. Basically in terms of presenting your question/answer, not the basic content of it.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

  17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  18. #178
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrogance View Post
    I would like to go more but it can be costly. Maybe Ireland at some point would be nice especially since I am half Irish.
    Its a good thing you're not planning to go there now. Its not doing so well. And whats with half the world being part Irish?

    And if you do ever go to Ireland, do visit the other island adjacent to it. But dont go to London if you can. Be different from the average tourist. Besides you wont miss much, just imagine New york with older architecture and less skyscrapers. Thats London. Awesomeness is found more north.
    Certified Mafia Game Shit Talker

  19. #179
    Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Country
    Belgium
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    north in manchesterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

    seriously london blows to rest of england...york is brill place love york

  20. #180
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Arrogance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,070
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Week Left In The Semester Means 4 Papers and 3 Tests for Hulk :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Blai View Post
    Yes, I was talking about manners. Basically in terms of presenting your question/answer, not the basic content of it.
    Ok, silly me
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    Its a good thing you're not planning to go there now. Its not doing so well. And whats with half the world being part Irish?

    And if you do ever go to Ireland, do visit the other island adjacent to it. But dont go to London if you can. Be different from the average tourist. Besides you wont miss much, just imagine New york with older architecture and less skyscrapers. Thats London. Awesomeness is found more north.
    A trip to Britain, no offense isn't at the top of my list. Plus sometimes its like mixing Oil and Water . IMO they would need to be two separate trips, plus I wouldn't have enough time to do what I wan in Ireland, nor would I be able to devote an adequate amount of time to Britain as well, if I were to split up my locations like that.

New Reply
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts