Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: The HxH YYH Lookalike Thread!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Invertroid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The HxH YYH Lookalike Thread!

The purpose of this thread to list characters from Togashi's major works (Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho and the oft-forgotten Level E) that are similar in either appearance or personality.

First off, some of more obvious examples.

Yusuke and Ging

Both share similar facial structures and independent personalities.

Kurama and Kurapika

Both are young male characters with effeminate appearances who often dress in stylish Chinese robes and have deep soulful eyes. They both maintain a calm, collected disposition and are cunning strategists. Although they both possess a fierce temper under their calm exterior, they also have a softer, friendlier side that they show around their friends.

Fietan and Hiei

Fietan and Hiei both possess dark personalities, black hair and are short in stature. They usually are seen wearing long black robes and use blades in combat. Both are proficient killers known for their insane superhuman speed.

Feitan and Karasu

Feitan also looks quite similar to Karasu, a member of Team Toguro from the Dark Tournament Arc. Both have sinister appearances highlighted by their dark black clothing and hair. They are also usually seen wearing masks that cover their lower face. Feitan and Karasu can also be characterized by their abnormal fetishes. Feitan enjoys torturing people and reading Trevor Brown art books (Google Image him if you dare). Karasu meanwhile gains satisfaction from murdering people he is attracted to and has a sadomasochistic view of love.

Kuwabara and Knuckle

The resemblance between these two characters is quite striking. Besides clear similarities in facial features, Knuckles and Kuwabara also display a similar sense of fashion, and often wear long coats. They also both put on a tough guy appearance but are soft at heart deep down.
    Last edited by The Invertroid; May 18, 2013 at 09:46 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The HxH YYH Lookalike Thread!

Do you mean lookalike in simply appearance ?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member liductan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNight View Post
    Do you mean lookalike in simply appearance ?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Invertroid View Post
    The purpose of this thread to list characters from Togashi's major works (Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho and the oft-forgotten Level E) that are similar in either appearance or personality.
    Well, if personality is involve..I think there are similarities between killua and hei.
    I have a black-belt in sarcasm, a degree in smartass and experienced in Bitch. Yep, I am damn ninja..

---you have been warned..

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Mukuro (Bandages) and Bonolenov

Kikyo's character design is most likely a variation from Mukuro's Non-Bandage Appearance

Byakko and Leol

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

Botan and Machi

---------- Post added at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 AM ----------

Kuwabara and Basho

---------- Post added at 03:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

Sensui and Squala (The mole in the forehead) Sensui and Kuroro

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

Shura and Wing

Koto and Khara

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Toguro and Genthru

They look very similar to me in terms of appearance. Interestingly, they both said the exact same thing to the main Protagonist; "You're strong, and you can still become much more stronger. It'll be a waste to let you die now."

Genkai and Biscuit:

They both serve as teachers for the protagonist and his best friend. They both are quite short, and can change there appearance to look much younger than they truly are. They both are also quite playful.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Elder Toguro and Palm

---------- Post added at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 AM ----------

Sadao Makihara and Buhara

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Mikisi's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

You can add Pokkle/Genkai (clothes)
    And if overall design is okay, so LeorioxKuwabara and KilluaxHiei.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Invertroid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liductan View Post
    Well, if personality is involve..I think there are similarities between killua and hei.
    Maybe this could be argued in 1999 series (especially during the Hunter Exam), but I really don't see many similarities between Killua and Hiei in the manga and anime reboot. Killua expresses a much wider range of emotions than Hiei, acting quite cheerful and mischievous at times. I don't think we ever see either of these qualities displayed in Hiei, who rarely breaks his serious demeanor. His main character traits are being ruthless, aloof and belittling the people around him. Killua, on the other hand, is more open and generally nicer around people, often to the point that he appears to be just a regular kid like any other 12-year-old.

Although he definitely has a darker side, Killua at least tries to control his violent tenancies. During the Heaven's Arena arc, he goes out his way to make a deal with Gido, Sadaso and Riehlvelt in exchange for them returning Zushi. Hiei would have killed all three of them outright. Killua also was completely fine with using Angel's Breath to heal Genthru and his teammates near the end of Greed Island. I can't see Hiei ever going along with such a merciful plan.

Even when Killua is trying to kill someone, he rarely goes about it in a outwardly cruel way. He kills people in an efficient, business-like manner, which makes sense given his assassin upbringing. Hiei meanwhile seems to get a lot more pleasure from dispatching his enemies, often going to great lengths to mock and ridicule his opponents during fights. Killua is a lot more professional and impersonal about it.

Certainly both characters share some similarities, such as being proficient killers and cunning strategists. To my eyes, however, there are many more things that differentiate them. To me, Killua can only be compared with Hiei when he is in the midst of a life or death battle. Otherwise, they're vastly different characters under regular circumstances. They're even dissimilar when it comes to their similar drive to protect a younger sibling . Although Hiei is just as protective of Yukina as Killua is of
    Spoiler show
    , he prefers to keep his distance from her. This contrasts quite sharply with Killua's display of open affection.

In fact, both characters are most different when it comes to their interactions with people close to them. Hiei never openly admits that he desires friends, while Killua openly admits he wants to become firends with Gon during the Hunter Exam, and that friendship is something he has a deep desire for. Even though Hiei eventually develops close relationships with Yusuke, Kurama, Kuwabara and Mukuro, he rarely shows his fondness for them outwardly. Instead, he often treats them just as dismissively as he does with everyone else. Killua on the other hand, gets along great with the people he gets to know, such a Kurapika, Leorio, Wing, Zushi, and Biscuit, and places the utmost importance on his friendship with Gon.

------------------------------------------------

Anyway, now that that rant is out of the way, onto more character comparisons!

You guys actually came up with quite a few that I hadn't thought of. Here are a few from me that might not be very obvious as well.

Kurt and Rinku

Not very similar in terms of personality, but there is a slight resemblance. Especially the eyes and the proportion of the ears with the head.

Chrollo and Kuroko

It shouldn't come as a surprise that there are female and male characters in two Togashi works that look similar. To be fair, I only noticed similar here because Kuroko already looked a lot like another Chrollo look-a-like: Sensui.

While we're at it, there is also a pretty strong resemblance between Chrollo and Sakyo. I guess Togashi just likes drawing characters who look this way.

Young Genkai and Machi

I suppose the main point of comparisons is the pink hair, but Machi and Genkai's younger form also both have similar pretty faces and deadpan glares. Both characters also prefer to wear traditional Asian-style clothing.

I wish I could have found some smaller images for Machi and Kurt, but theses were the best examples I could find for comparison. Is there some way to make linked images appear smaller on the forums?
    Last edited by The Invertroid; May 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

9. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply