Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Titans, Their Origin, and Their Purpose.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Titans, Their Origin, and Their Purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ForMotherRussia View Post
    Has anyone notice that Sonny-titan, captured by scouts had a VERY similar appearance to the titan that was encountered by Ilse Langner?
    Moreover, they both seemed to make that ~U~U sound
    http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/16/10 and http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/16/13 compared to http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/17/22

If we assume that it is the same titan, according to the previously mentioned coincidences, it appears that the titan has shrunk from 6m-class (as mentioned by Ilse in her sidestory) to 4m-class (mentioned by Hanji). And during that time we know that, again, if my assumption is correct, Sonny devoured at least one human (Ilse) . Could it be the hint to the Titan's lifecycle, and reason they try to eat people?
    If all my assumptions are correct, it looks like by eating humans titans reduce in size over time, and get closer to Human-like form.
    Very good point. I always felt something was strange, but couldn't figure out exactly what. Should that turn out to be true (or at least something along the lines of changing size etc) then I wouldn't be surprised if Isayama brought back the Titan who killed Eren's mother for some kind of revelation.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I found and post about those two titans similarities. Now a good hint can be the anime version (that is colored and more detailed cuz of animation style) of those titans: we need to wait the next ep and the special one that will come out in Japan with the next volume!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nanozom's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is one that might be a little out of the blue, but what if the Titans are just the result of a "Fountain of youth" project going wrong?
    I mean according to ymir, she was a titan for sixty years and didn´t age a single day.
    Maybe it was, (in whatever great war that threatened humanity) there was a bunch of people that wanted to preserve themselves and survive the war, (like a time capsule) and to make sure that they would survive it, made themselves into self-defending force?
    Like a cryopod with legs and fists.
    And something went horribly wrong as the thing that gave mankind the ability to form these solar powered cryopods turned into something like a disease. then everyone could become one with it injected.
    I mean all titan shifters describe their existence as a titan like a dream. and the only difference between them and the titans is that they woke up and can go in and out from the slumber.
    If this is the case, then the people in the past had access to some very awesome bio-engineering skills.
    This is just a theory, but in my head it starts to make sense...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Huesoman's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

I read in other forum an hipothesis about titans being dead humans, and I think it could be possible, at least in 2 cases, the first being when Eren was eaten by the bearded titan, maybe he died and his death, together with his emotions and desire to destroy titans, triggered the titan transformation? The other case is when Ymir jump from the tower at Castle Utgard and says: "And I... died..."
    http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no...0/c040/39.html

Note: I posted here because I didn't want to make another thread just to discuss this.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the dead human hypothesis makes much sense. Didn't the ape titan just turned an entire village into titans? I guess it is possible he killed them and then turn them into that but so far there is no proper evidence of that.

Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there is no evidence, it is pure speculation, but here comes the question: how is that Ymir "die" and still we can see her pretty alive? Well, I think it is because she can regenerate parts from her body, I guess even brain cells and whatever she needs to keep alive, so these humans that can become titans overcame death. Ymir looks young after 60 years. Maybe titan transformation were the result from human attemps to overcome death? to gain perennial youth? I found this hipothesis very interesting, that is why I post it here. BTW, I made a thread about parallel realities, I would glad to know your opinions. .
    Last edited by Huesoman; July 21, 2013 at 11:30 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner YipYip's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Just some thoughts from me

I saw in one pannel, when Eren was fighting Anni in the city.
    She fell into a church.
    And before that we saw how people in the church were standing in cricles.

http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no...08/c033/4.html

I thought, it resembles the 3 walls, because it was already mentioned, that this religion worships those buildings.
    Then after the fight we saw a titan in the wall.
    And its fair to assume that its not just that single one in the wall.
    So there are titans in the walls standing exactly like the people in the church.

Maybe if something is done while people standing like that, something will happen...
    All in the cricle turn in to titans, or will transform to one big titan
    And when something to the titans in the walls is done, then they will transform to ???
    god ??? an even bigger titan
    and for some reason they needed many humans staying inside these giant circles

Well maybe with this circle method + something else humans were able to create the first titan.
    Maybe that ape titan told it to them.
    And after they discoverd every secret behind the titan-form they tried to do the same circle thing with titans, and want to see what they will transform to.
    So they got many believers, of couse they believed something else back then, to do that rite, and so caused the titan invasion, after they build the walls with the big titans.
    A world wide religion could bring forth many titans.

And thats how they got all the big titans standing in that perfect formation.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly didn't notice the religious people standing in 3 circles while praying.

But I don't think it has much to do with turning people into Titans or anything like that. I'd say it's rather some sort of symbolism.

In most roman churches, for instance, both the architecture and seats positioning are intended to resemble a cross-shape, alluding to Jesus's crucifiction. In most muslim prayer halls, the qiblah wall is set perpendicular to a line leading to the Mecca. You see things like that in all kinds of religions.

Oh, and there obviously is the whole thing with the walls in SnK having female names, which might imply walls have been named after goddesses in the faith of the walls or something.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at this Illustration.

It is like i said in the start of this topic, there are kingdoms fighting against each other, and in the middle there are the walls.

I know it is from the anime not the manga, but it was worth seeing.

Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LudusTG View Post
    ...It is like i said in the start of this topic, there are kingdoms fighting against each other, and in the middle there are the walls.

I know it is from the anime not the manga, but it was worth seeing.
    Yes, the new anime ending give a lot of clues, here is a brief (taken from other forum by user AttackOnTitantheory):

"...Watch along.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaXn9xCij9Q

stop at 0:12, and what do you see? No titans but in fact, what looks like a battle between two human forces. Notice that the horses on each side are different colors (which most likely doesn't mean anything) but also notice that each side has a FLAG. The left side has a yellow flag while the right side carries a blue flag.

Try to pay attention to the wall behind our protagonists. During 0:15-0:21, if you look at the wall, we are in the post-wall era BUT notice that the pictures show people working the land in Wall Rose(0:15) and that there is just a picture of a horse and maybe 2 or 3 people in Wall Shina (0:15). This picture may be showing the very early days of the Wall.
    Now let's move to the other side of the wall. Notice that on this side of the wall, we have our Titan friends gathered (as well as Historia). Look at the walls. We are now, OUTSIDE of the walls as we see at 0:28, a titan's head having been blown off. Here is a peculiar detail I noticed. Stop at 0:32 and look behind Ymir. There are two horses attached to a TITAN on a board? HOLD ON. This is weird. This means 2 things to me. Either 1. they are capturing a Titan alive, or 2. the titan is WOUNDED (I know Titans heal) or is hurt somehow, and is being dragged away to safety by the force using the titans in an attack.

Notice at 0:35, there is a grasshopper behind Mikasa in the rain, referring to her parents being killed and the whole cruel world paradigm. I bring this up to show that I think the artists are not just drawing random hieroglyphics on these walls but that there are meanings behind them.

Another big one: At 1:05, look at that picture. Look at those Titans and look at the way they're standing. Those are the titans that became the walls..."

I would add that you can see 2 more walls aside from the 3 known as far, those 2 walls are probably at Reyner's hometown. BTW, at 0:15 I think the walls are Maria and Rose, not Rose and Shina, and if you watch closely to the little soldiers pictured in the walls you will notice both bands are dealing with titans.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

It's clear what is being shown in the ending is an expanded version of this (which is exactly what's being shown in the ED from 0:15 to 0:23). Furthermore, the song's title is "Great Escape", which is self explanatory.

As for the 2 countries fighting each other, it might be what brought to the Titans appearing (the whole man-made, biological-weapons theory), although this is not bound to be the only possible explanation. I think it's very likely the Titans attacked humanity as an aftermath of a war, but the "how" and "why" are still to be explained (remember the little chat with Pixie, for instance. Or the naturalism theme within the SnK prototype)

The picture with the Titan on a board, I'm not sure. It's not just the Titan thing which is confusing, it's the whole picture. It's really hard to say what's the inside and outside of the walls in this painting.

And I think you're probably right about the Titans who became the walls.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner YipYip's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think the anime will give us any new clues that we have not seen in the manga already.
    The only think they might imply is a self-created anime story end, that has nothing to do with the manga story.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I kind of agree no new info will be coming from the anime. That's really why I'm pointing out the new ED only is a beefed up version of stuff already being shown in the manga.

Also, the Walls holding Titans inside is totally known. And wars before the Titans Crisis has been vaguely implied too (no surprise, as humans kind of are at war among themselves at all the times in the real world as well I guess ).

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Themistocles's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my first post, but I've been keeping track of this series for a while, and there are some things that bother me about Titans. I'm not really wanting to jump to conclusions, but I wan to state my questions.

First off is this link which I'm sure many of you have seen already: http://calorescence.tumblr.com/post/...f-the-japanese

So, some points that have got me thinking
    -Most of humanity was killed by other humans
    -Those who made it onto the ships were rich and powerful, but half of the ships were lost on their voyage
    -The walls were prepared in the "new world" and "we" shall revere this new continent as sacred
    -Within the walls, an ideal humanity was to be made, one without strife.

what bugs me is the fact that these clues point to the fact that humans are the real enemies and engineers behind all of this. These humans must be beyond rich and powerful, sort of like what the conspiracy theorists guess the NWO is (I am not one of them btw, just using it as an example). These people want an ideal humanity, so prepared these walls. Which in and of itself is a huge problem because the walls are made of Titans, so... yeah.

After preparing these walls and sort of setting up the place for an ideal humanity (their cattle?) Titans appear and wreak havoc on the world (seems like the vast majority of humanity was populated on the old continent, and not the one where the story takes place) which tells me that the Titans if bio-engineered were used as weapons on the old continent and not the one with the walls.

So why do the Titans attack the southern walls? Moreso than that, they don't even attack the walls, but the little wall-village on the south. I know the end result was the same, but logically, you wouldn't attack an extra layer of defend like that. You would attack the weakest point. Which the Colossal Titan just does not do. This is weird for Wall Rosa because After taking Maria, why do they persist on attacking the south when now Titans should be theoretically scattered to all sides of the walls.

If the Titans were released on the old continent and not on the new one, it would make sense for them to attack the western gate, but they don't. Something perhaps about Eren's basement, or something we have yet to be told, but I think there is some significance between Titans and the south.

Also, the names of the walls themselves are troubling to me, and I don't know why yet. It could be that they are named generically but after learning that the walls are made of Titans, I'm becoming more convinced that the names of the walls actually have significance to the mystery and history of the Titans.

Speaking of the Titans (sorry for long post?) Most of them seem like they are incapable of higher human function other than walking around and eating humans. They don't seem to be capable of intelligent assault but on the contrary I think they can be herded to achieve a goal. I don't think the majority of the Titans have a purpose of their own, but were used by "others" for a purpose, whether this was to achieve an ideal humanity, I can only guess.

I don't know what to think on the serum or the emergence of the other shifters, or the Ape Titan, because that just confuses me more.

But it seems to me that whoever R&B are affiliated with, or working for have the opposite goal than those who made the walls and wanted an ideal humanity. Apparently this unknown group has a goal so important that it is willing to destroy the gates to the walls and let Titans (which seem to also be a threat to them which is implied by R&B) walk in and eat all of the hundreds of thousands or millions of humans, maybe even the last humans alive on earth. Whatever this goal is, I think it is more important than humans because of the priest (I'm almost done, I promise). The Priest (appears around chp. 40) obviously knows whats what but for him, his oath to secrecy is more important that humanity's survival. So in short, the truth to the Titans and the walls are so important and so secret, they are willing to let humanity die before letting it be known. This is all I can write for know (time constraints and all), but honestly, the more I learn, the more confused I get.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Themistocles View Post
    So why do the Titans attack the southern walls? Moreso than that, they don't even attack the walls, but the little wall-village on the south. I know the end result was the same, but logically, you wouldn't attack an extra layer of defend like that. You would attack the weakest point. Which the Colossal Titan just does not do. This is weird for Wall Rosa because After taking Maria, why do they persist on attacking the south when now Titans should be theoretically scattered to all sides of the walls.
    I think they attack Shingashina because it would take time for the colossal titan to make a hole in another part of the wall and could be defeated by the scouting legion meanwhile (if he can make a hole in the wall, by the way). So it would be easy to make a little hole just in the entry of Shingashina because it is more flimsy than any other part of the wall plus titans are near to Shingashina that other part of the wall because human concentration. The question could be why Shingashina and not another town from wall Maria.
    If the Titans were released on the old continent and not on the new one, it would make sense for them to attack the western gate, but they don't. Something perhaps about Eren's basement, or something we have yet to be told, but I think there is some significance between Titans and the south.
    Good point. Maybe the wanted Shingashina because they know Grisha lived there. I was thinking that maybe Grisha is not lost but kidnaped.
    But it seems to me that whoever R&B are affiliated with, or working for have the opposite goal than those who made the walls and wanted an ideal humanity. Apparently this unknown group has a goal so important that it is willing to destroy the gates to the walls and let Titans (which seem to also be a threat to them which is implied by R&B) walk in and eat all of the hundreds of thousands or millions of humans, maybe even the last humans alive on earth. Whatever this goal is, I think it is more important than humans because of the priest (I'm almost done, I promise). The Priest (appears around chp. 40) obviously knows whats what but for him, his oath to secrecy is more important that humanity's survival. So in short, the truth to the Titans and the walls are so important and so secret, they are willing to let humanity die before letting it be known.
    Maybe not all humanity. I think humanity inside the walls are at risk. I think there is a war between those inside the walls (soldiers) VS those outside the walls (warriors) so as in any war, humans on one side will be losers (death) and those on the other side winners (alive). Or maybe those who govern the world inside the walls are not "normal" humans, I mean they could be shifters or something beyond that, it could explain their disregard.

New Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast