Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 75

Thread: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

  1. #31
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Country
    Balearic Islands
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    Take as much time as you need Oda sensei. Have a full recovery and continue your kickass work.

  2. #32
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member UnknownMugiwara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    with ya mom!..
    Country
    Denmark
    Age
    18
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by winterwyrm View Post
    Ahhh, oda-sensei, he finally has a vacation after getting three hours of sleep for years, and now he spends it in crippling agony due to an abcess, I would not be able to do that, this might even be a case of karoshi
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kar%C5%8Dshi

    I noticed in the most recent chapter we see Bellamy floating in the water despite having eaten a devil's fruit... Perhaps it was done very rushed due to oda's injury, I could see him being hospitalized and some interns having to finish the chapter and making such a critical mistake.
    I don't think that Oda only got 3 hours of sleep at night every single night, it's probably only been once or twice a week.
    Also, Oda doesn't let his assistants draw any humans, so about Bellamy I think it's obvious that he landed on Kuuigosu ;-)
    Brook wanted: DEAD OR ALIVE!
    Yohohohohohohoho! Marine Joke!

  3. #33
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member winterwyrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Posts
    536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by UnknownMugiwara View Post
    I don't think that Oda only got 3 hours of sleep at night every single night, it's probably only been once or twice a week.
    Also, Oda doesn't let his assistants draw any humans, so about Bellamy I think it's obvious that he landed on Kuuigosu ;-)
    Not true, he sleeps from 2am to 5am religiously, and frequently has all nighters, it's insane. He adheres strictly to this schedule.
    http://kotaku.com/5964527/one-piece-...cruel-mistress

    On the other hand, he makes the equivalent of $27 million a year and has fame greater than almost all japanese actors and actresses though. Being a famous mangaka is a really really big deal there, and your celebrity status is typically more than a singer of equivalent level, and is married to a supermodel who was once rated the hottest in japan, so he works like a madman, at a feverish pace, but is richly rewarded for it.

    What a copout that "super-floaty wood" thing was, one of his very very few mistakes.

  4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  5. #34
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Cavendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Stockholm
    Country
    Sweden
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    it's been almost a week since oda got sick, something new about his health? Better now? Get well Oda!

  6. #35
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member winterwyrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Posts
    536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    I heard he is out of the hospital now, but he is in crippling pain, and the pain relievers are making him sick and making him sleep a lot, overall he isn't having fun for the moment, but it looks like his problem is more or less solved, and apparently really enjoys one piece almost as much as we enjoy reading it and wants to get back to it, looks like it wont be delayed again, the eta for the next chapter is still june 5th

  7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  8. #36
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,873
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    wow... I was touched by Oda's words, he truly cares about his fans.
    I don't care how long we have to wait for next chapter, he should take a longer break and get well soon, for his own sake alone, and not for us to get his chapters earlier.
    It's almost as if he's sacrificing his own health for this amazing manga, and to bring it out to his loved fans, who in turn loves him.

    Ack man, I can't read a manga with so much love in it, if the author himself isn't loved back, can't help it, and for that reason, I think I'm not alone to think that he should take whatever time he needs to make a full recovery!

    Oda loves his own work, and he seems to love his fans, but it's too much, it really does seem like he's sacirficing himself... But what do I know, I hardly know the guy, but this is my impression, especially through the love he puts into the manga.

  9. #37
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South Africa and America.
    Country
    South Africa
    Age
    33
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    I don't know about you guys, as much as I love "One Piece", I think, Oda deserves a "year" off from the manga. Yes, I'm saying it.

    Let's look back at the pass five years and all the greatness Oda has done, let alone the millions of manga books sold, two great animated films and all the hard work he's dedicating his life too. Personally, Oda needs the break. Dude, should chill, find a lady and have some kids and enjoy the fruits of his success. Come back later, and continue the series.

    Personally, I'm not in a rush to see One Piece end anytime soon.

    Hope, Oda makes a steady recovery and doesn't rush back to the series. Peace.

  10. Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
  11. #38
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member winterwyrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Posts
    536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    @fetherman- Yes, believe it or not, people at shonen jump were actually petitioning him to take a year or half a year off during the timeskip, and it seemed for a second like he would do it, but instead it became just a two week break, though he has a wife, an ex-supermodel, I don't think he has any children (due to his work) once one piece is finished in a few years he will probably have children and settle down, though he has said he would do that kind of thing before and never ended up actually doing it. He might just end up starting another series and working himself completely to death instead of just half to death.

    @Quantized- yes, he loves us dearly, and he loves his characters as if they were family even, seriously, he puts himself into it heart and soul, and probably feels every pain they go through.

    I've been with one piece for over five years now, fully a quarter of my lifespan I've been with them on every journey, taking a seat alongside the straw hats on the merry-go, and now the sunny, and yes, I would say I personally love him back, You can't help but feel a closeness, as if you're following luffy on his crazy adventures wherever he goes.

    One piece is really as close as you can come to actually being in a series' universe, the characters feel so real, with extensive backstories and cover stories that elaborate realistically what happens to them even when luffy isn't around, and have been for so long now I honestly would feel a huge gap in myself if the series were to end abruptly. Probably I would wonder how it would have ended for the rest of my life.

    It isn't even a matter of one piece being a quality manga, it's just so immersive, complex in such a realistic way that I find myself guilty of seeing it as a real world sometimes.

    ---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

    Just to compare, a portrait of a plant in the lobby here took over six months of seriously hard full-time work, the artist worked from 9-5 seven days a week for over six months with staff and computer modelling assistance, and this one panel from one piece has so much more detail, shading painstaking quality and emotion packed into it
    http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/708/9

    and I just kind of glossed over it since I was so enveloped in the story, it's easy to forget it's a manga and think you're watching a live action movie or something, not to mention the characters, plot, detailed setting, and such things.
    Last edited by winterwyrm; May 29, 2013 at 09:12 AM.

  12. #39
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BetaRuler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by Quantized View Post
    he should take a longer break and get well soon
    Quote Originally Posted by FetherMan View Post
    I think, Oda deserves a "year" off from the manga. Yes, I'm saying it.
    Let's grant those wishes!

    *heads off to Japan to injure Oda's hands to prevent him from drawing*

  13. #40
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Colombia
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    According to Greg from AP and who works for Shueisha, Oda's health is not deteriorating. Good new.

  14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  15. #41
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hokageji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA - USA
    Country
    India
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    701
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by FetherMan View Post
    I don't know about you guys, as much as I love "One Piece", I think, Oda deserves a "year" off from the manga. Yes, I'm saying it.

    Let's look back at the pass five years and all the greatness Oda has done, let alone the millions of manga books sold, two great animated films and all the hard work he's dedicating his life too. Personally, Oda needs the break. Dude, should chill, find a lady and have some kids and enjoy the fruits of his success. Come back later, and continue the series.

    Personally, I'm not in a rush to see One Piece end anytime soon.

    Hope, Oda makes a steady recovery and doesn't rush back to the series. Peace.
    I am a selfish reader. i dont mind a few days off every now and then, but a year off would be horrible. We already have togashi and hunter x hunter doing the same for us....

    Jokes apart, hope he does get full recovery... even if it means a year's break for the manga... or maybe move the series to monthly jump...
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett

  16. #42
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by Quantized View Post
    wow... I was touched by Oda's words, he truly cares about his fans.
    I don't care how long we have to wait for next chapter, he should take a longer break and get well soon, for his own sake alone, and not for us to get his chapters earlier.
    It's almost as if he's sacrificing his own health for this amazing manga, and to bring it out to his loved fans, who in turn loves him.

    Ack man, I can't read a manga with so much love in it, if the author himself isn't loved back, can't help it, and for that reason, I think I'm not alone to think that he should take whatever time he needs to make a full recovery!

    Oda loves his own work, and he seems to love his fans, but it's too much, it really does seem like he's sacirficing himself... But what do I know, I hardly know the guy, but this is my impression, especially through the love he puts into the manga.
    Agreed. I'd rather wait a month or year for OP if that's what it takes for him to recover. He shouldn't compromise his health like that, especially when health can be a fickle thing. Despite everything, it's admirable that he still continues to work on the manga and keeps it as high a quality as possible.

    HEAR THAT, KISHI?
    Quote Originally Posted by hokageji View Post
    I am a selfish reader. i dont mind a few days off every now and then, but a year off would be horrible. We already have togashi and hunter x hunter doing the same for us....

    Jokes apart, hope he does get full recovery... even if it means a year's break for the manga... or maybe move the series to monthly jump...
    More like a decade for Togashi.

  17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  18. #43
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member winterwyrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Posts
    536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Agreed. I'd rather wait a month or year for OP if that's what it takes for him to recover. He shouldn't compromise his health like that, especially when health can be a fickle thing. Despite everything, it's admirable that he still continues to work on the manga and keeps it as high a quality as possible.

    HEAR THAT, KISHI?


    More like a decade for Togashi.
    Yes, I feel your pain, berserk is terrible like that as well, but honestly a lot of people tried to get oda to take a few months off during the timeskip, that's what naruto did, but he just decided to take two weeks, honestly he would go crazy if he couldn't draw, he enjoys the adventures of the straw hats as much as we do, even more so in fact.

  19. #44
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    He took four weeks off, no? I know there was a month of no OP, which made it easier to read the entire series in October.

  20. #45
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hokageji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA - USA
    Country
    India
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    701
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

    Yes, he did take 4 weeks off....

    This workoholic attitude is common among celebrities more apparent in the non-physical side of things. But Oda cannot stop writing even if he wants to.. there is just too much money connected to it, and a break will also mean a lot of business getting affected...

    THe best Oda can do is hire more assistants at this point and take a break every couple of months....
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett

New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts