Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

From the newest TOC page (information provided by Aohige):

According to Kishimoto, Oda was drawing next chapters while he was bedridden in the hospital.
    Kishi saw the pages at the hospital room... so I guess he went to check up on Oda at the hospital.

Bakuman much?

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oda Eiichiro hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess - One Piece on hiatus for 2 weeks

Mangaka through and through, he should rest though, poor guy, forcing himself through illness for his fans. :P
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Freid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well there goes my theory that Oda isn't human. I genuinely thought he was some kind of mangaka god but I guess not. Might be a time traveller though. In any case, glad to see him back.
    Predictions: Smoker | One Piece
    Why So Serious?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Oda has the same determination a lot of his characters display.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Morlun View Post
    I disagree. We do not own writers. Neil Gaiman put it a lot more eloquently:

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/0...nt-issues.html

Is it a bummer that he did not finish the manga? Yeah, it is. Should the guy spend the rest of his life doing what he wants, or what other people want from him? Definitely the first. Nobody is entitled to tell him what to do with his life.

And if he is getting a paycheck, that's between him and his boss. Not our problem.
    why would he need to spend the rest of his life doing manga? Just finish the story, which can take a year or two (I'm sure the fans won't care about the quality of his writing), and be done forever.

Damn, Oda needs to calm down and recover first. D:

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Tonix's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    From the newest TOC page (information provided by Aohige):

According to Kishimoto, Oda was drawing next chapters while he was bedridden in the hospital.
    Kishi saw the pages at the hospital room... so I guess he went to check up on Oda at the hospital.

Bakuman much?
    It's things like this that make me love Oda. This news and the note Oda wrote to his fans apologizing for being sick really make Togashi(?) seem like a douche. I won't read HxH because I refuse to put time into reading a series that the author doesn't care about. (I don't expect any other mangaka to care as much as Oda though.)

I see some people saying that we don't 'own' authors. I'm not saying we do, but if you start telling someone a story and then just stop with out finishing it, people are going to think you're a dick. Especially if you stay around them and make it clear that you could be finishing the story if you wanted to. It doesn't matter that it's your story, you shouldn't start things that you are not prepared to finish unless you're prepared to deal with people being irritated with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by xXan View Post
    PS. To bad you are not 4 years older and living in my country as i would love to exchange ideas over a drink :P
    Tell the emperor that my hall has fallen to the ground. Phoibos no longer has his house, nor his mantic bay, nor his prophetic spring; the water has dried up.- Pythia of Delphi

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Morlun's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    why would he need to spend the rest of his life doing manga? Just finish the story, which can take a year or two (I'm sure the fans won't care about the quality of his writing), and be done forever.
    What if he doesn't want to? One or two years of a work he doesn't want or need? How many of you would do that?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post

Damn, Oda needs to calm down and recover first. D:
    If it would only take one or two years to finish the story, the situations it's in right now could just as well be seen as an ending, instead of going into big unknown world, which seems bigger than the known one by a huge magnitude.

And still it's his story, you are not entitled to anything, that's just how it is. So he drew through all his 'young' years, why shouldn't he be able to live a family life as long as that's even possible, he's got the money, he's got the freedom and he probably doesn't care. It's like wishing for yearly movie sequels, sometimes it's just not in their schedule, whatever that may be for him.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    The argument is that he gets a salary anyway, but does he?
    He is classed as a serialized author so yes he does.
    He mainly lives off of the volume that still sell anyway which is a good amount.
    Not to mention his wife is the creator of Sailor Moon so money is never an issue for either of them.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

If i remember correctly (without guarantee) , the authors are paid for the amount of pages, at least for the weekly magazine releases, meaning that they get a certain amount for each page. Obviously, an author whose manga is more popular in the questionnaires and in the sales gets more, at least in most cases (HxH for example did not do so well in the questionnaires if i remember correctly but you can be sure Togashi got a bit more than your average Jump mangaka).
    So, if you don´t have a chapter in the magazine, you don´t get paid because there is no fixed salary. Of course, that´s only a small part of a mangaka´s income though. Most of the income comes from manga, merchandise and, if the manga gets animated, anime royalties.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Here is a bit of information Sato Shuuhou has published in 2009

Sato Shuuhou (the author of "Say Hello to Black Jack") disclosed on his website the amount of payment for a manuscript and the royalties for the Tankobon. He said manga authors go into the red only with the payments for the publication in the magazines. When a manga series gets popular and its Tankobon is published, the author can make a profit from the royalty.

($1 = 100 yen)

Umizaru (1998)
    Payment: 10,000 yen per page x 80 pages a month
    = 800,000 yen a month
    Personnel expenses for three assistants: 570,000 yen a month
    Material expenses for manga drawings: 100,000 yen a month

Tokko no Shima (2006)
    Payment: 25,000 yen per pages

Say Hello to Black Jack
    Manuscript: 35,000 yen per page x 450 pages a year
    = approx. 16 million yen a year
    Personnel expenses for six assistants: 18 million yen a year

Royalty of Tankobon: approx. 50 yen per copy (8 -10% of one copy of Tankobon priced 500 - 600 yen)

It's extremely rare that a manga author makes public the specific numbers of the payments.

14. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this, but he would still be getting paid through JUMP since the anime studios have to go directly through the magazine to be allowed to animate the author's work and HxH iirc had like a re-mastered version of the anime recently.

HxH 2011 I think.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope Oda gets better and hope he gets a well earned and needed break, I wouldn't mind if he took a couple months off, but Im really glad that Oda is so dedicated though, I really appreciate all the effort he puts into One Piece.

I agree that we don't own writers or authors, and I certainly want them to take their time to make an amazing story, but It does feel agonizing when they take forever, and I do feel the writers have some obligation to their fans to finish the story they started even if its a horrible, abrupt ending (option, if they really don't want to write it anymore.), Togashi doesn't have much of an excuse, but Im not demanding anything from him, whether he finishes it or not its up to him, and If he doesn't well...I wont praise him (even though I love Yu Yu Hakusho) for not finishing the story, but I will appreciate the story he wrote.

I also think togashi could seriously have ended Hunter X Hunter at the chapter he left off at, but he is content to keep going so as long as he wants to keep writing than, he should (although Im different than people who have been reading Hunter X Hunter for years, because I just started, didn't want to start a series constantly on Hiatus, until the new anime), but If he takes too long I probably will just move on.

Kind of like D. Grayman, the author is sick so I have come to expect that she will go on hiatus's, and I'm glad she is taking her time to stay healthy and I really like D. Grayman, its just that over time I found myself caring less and less, which is possibly a good thing because I hardly wait in anticipation for the manga anymore.

I love One Piece, and I love that Oda is so dedicated, one of the longest running series I know that is consistently good, and actually feels like we are going somewhere with the story (progress wise).

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I gladly pass on my weekly dose of One Piece if it's a matter of health, what's the most important is that Oda is getting better nothing else.

I can't really say much except that I hope he is getting better and to those who complain all I can say is please show at least some concern and respect to Oda and just look forward to future chapters, it's not the end of the world.
    Last edited by Beatrice; June 12, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought next week's break was a usual break. I didn't know Oda was still sick.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say he is "sick", but he had an operation and of course he can't jump into action right away.
    But he needs to rest and follow the docs orders.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5