Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Time Leap

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Time Leap

Note: Though it's only a theory and not like it'll definitely happen, please turn back a page if you don't want to regret reading spoiler!

The Coordinate (as of Chapter 47) by Bandreus (The discussion continues after Bandreus makes his point.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bandreus View Post
    Spoiler show

=========================================================================

Original Post (Speculations prior to Chapter 46):

Not sure if anyone's made a similar post here before, but in any case, random theory as follows, bash all you like lol. I've decided to update this post along the way to keep ideas nice and tidy. Last update time should be shown in the "Last edited" time tag below.

Time Loop:

Based on the manga author's confession (link at the end of the post)

Spoiler show

I totally stole the basics of the theory from some random Japanese thread, but my heart feels so heavy as I was typing this up lol, because it makes so much sense to the scene at the very beginning.

Another 'theory,' which counters the Time Loop theory, is the Dream 'Theory.' All that weirdness presented in the beginning of the first chapter is dispelled simply as a dream. (Not really a theory, but it sounds more epic that way.)

Time Travel:
    Very similar idea to the Time Loop but different (and more developed) speculations than the one above ^^
    http://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/...s_theory_eren/

Time Skip (Atlantis-like civ from past):

Spoiler show

Eren = 2000 years old (as of Chapter 49) by mirrorstorm

Spoiler show

Titan from 2000 years ago (from Graydient's post):
    To be developed.
    Grisha: "...As for the way to use [the power], their memories should teach you..."

Assassin's Creed development (as of Chapter 49) by TheOwl

Spoiler show

"The Big Rock that has been here (on this land) (since) before the town was built." @SnK Language Thread (+ posts after this)

Even wondered how the boulder got there in the first place? Or how the boulder was exactly the same size as the hole? Did you know the sub-heading for this section is actually engraved onto the sign next to that boulder? Why not make your brain implode with the help of the following post?

Spoiler show

And finally, extra information (spoiler) from the author himself:

Big Fat Spoiler that's engraved onto the inside covers of the Manga by the author: (Thanks Georgie for the link!)
    http://calorescence.tumblr.com/post/...f-the-japanese

Big Fat Spoiler that the author confesses in a mini-interview (This is the main basis for my support of Time-related theories):
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by Utsune; September 14, 2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Updated theory.

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Georgie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Theory: Time Loop

Very interesting. Yeah, there is something very fishy going on in that first scene.
    I love all these theories. We should have just one theory thread to keep all the theories organized or something.
    Anyways, as I said, very interesting. I have read theories similar to this, involving time skip.
    In my opinion the setting is not earth as we know it, but an alternative universe similar to earth. If you notice they never mention countries. They are not in Germany, Mikasa is not Japanese but "oriental". They don't even call the planet that they live on "earth" but they say "humanity" idk...just something to think about.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, the title "To the You 2000 years from now" is so full of implications. As to what it could suggest, the basis for those arguments are too frail because there are so many possibilities.

I tend not to bring up the anime version since this is purely manga-based, but since they stick pretty much to the original, other than Mikasa's first two lines being replaced by some horrific flashback (which Eren calls a "dream,") I might as well mention it here.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^yup.
    Sometime I think that maybe they are humans who have settle on some planet in the future. They took over the pure titan's planet or something. The Titans retaliated and forced all the remaining humans to settle in those walls. But then....the walls are made of titan material. so idk..Again, I have no idea. lol. So many possibilities.

Also...a few things that bug me...
    Sasha eats a potato:
    Potatoes did not exist in europe until potatoes were discovered in the americans back in the 1500s and then brought to europe. So maby they are in the future...or an AU where potatoes exist.
    Those gas tanks and weapons:
    For such a civilization that looks like medieval Europe, they sure got pretty advance technology. So yeah, again future or au.
    Last edited by Georgie; May 24, 2013 at 08:23 PM.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

@Georgie
    I like the time skip idea (they're in the future,) but I don't know too much about it so maybe you can shed some more light on it if you know more? :P

At the moment, I like it mainly because of one thing that bugs me a lot. When did they even build the walls, if they were made of Titan material? Surely they wouldn't have been able to build something like that after the Titans appeared 100 years ago seeing how desperate the situation should be. And for so many buildings to locate within the walls, this civilisation must have been here for a long time. Finally, surely the people are bound to know the truth when you're building the walls? If so, it must have been during a time when Titans are common knowledge.

I might have missed something, if so, feel free to correct me.
    Last edited by Utsune; May 24, 2013 at 09:41 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the time skip idea too.
    I don't know anything. It's all speculation and I was just trowing ideas. Anything is possible at this point.
    The wall thing bugs me too. Ok...someone had to build the wall, and it takes time to build a wall like that. So I wonder who built it? how long did it take? what were the other humans doing and where were they living while the walls were being built? Did someone with high political power decide to build these walls in the middle of wherever and just told everyone to move there? Who are Maria, Rose and Sina? blablabla.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time Leap

Fascinating theories. I like them all.

Imo the "how they built the WALLS" topic must be the focused one. Probably the answer to this question will clear up a lot of things in the future about who the titans are, who built the walls and why, when all the story began and so on.

Rereading the first chapter imho that "See you later" was said by Mikasa before leaving Eren to his nap. BUT I know this would be too much "granted" even "stupid" for a shonen like this.
    Maybe Eren had some sort of premonition about the incoming future, nothing happy but a lot sad, and that's why those tears.

About that "To you in 2000 years" reminds me about another manga, BLAME!, that began with the emblematic phrase "Maybe on Earth Maybe in the Future". Like the author would say "This is a vision of what could/will be the Earth in a far Future 2000 years since now".

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
    V
    In my opinion the setting is not earth as we know it, but an alternative universe similar to earth. If you notice they never mention countries. They are not in Germany, Mikasa is not Japanese but "oriental". They don't even call the planet that they live on "earth" but they say "humanity" idk...just something to think about.
    It is Earth, for precisely the same reason you gave. Not only does the story reveal the time period they live in (850 A.D), but like you said, Mikasa is noted as an Asian, contrary to someone like "Eren Jager," or "Sasha" or "Jean" or "Annie," which are clearly not Asian names. Mikasa is the only Asian in this civilization, and she was noted to not being full Asian because she has the last name "Ackerman." There is no doubt about it, we are supposed to believe this is Earth during the European middle ages. They do not have to specifically say "Mikasa is a Japanese girl on earth" for that to be true. It is already implied.

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune
    Another theory, which counters the Time Loop theory, is the Dream Theory. All that weirdness presented in the beginning of the first chapter is dispelled simply as a dream.
    That is not a theory lol. That's what the story naturally leads you to believe. You don't have to do much thinking to say "Eren must have been dreaming/ having a vision." It is common knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where to put this, so I'll post it here since we were talking about the walls anyway.

So, have you guys seen this? Pretty interesting eh? This makes things a little clearer. The walls were already there when humans settled there. On ships. To a new world. That's why the religious people worship it so much and call it a gift from god.

Editing to say that I reread the earlier chapters and Armin has a book which talks about the world outside the walls and well....it's basically earth. oops at me. my bad.
    Last edited by Georgie; May 28, 2013 at 07:25 PM.

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

This is SPOILEROUS as HELL!!! Well if the author put those info there probably he wanted the readers to find them nope?

And this explain a lot of things about the walls but the majority of questions about titans origins remain.

Now about this "New World" and his "Great (Holy) Walls": someone built them for the high caste of humanity, "the rich and powerful", than this implies that someone "knows" about the Titan threat and "made" this world before the things were worst.
    Than Titans could be made by the humans themselves as a weapon or as a failed experiment that in a zombie-like way plague the earth driving the humanity to extinction.

And actually people live out of the walls and some of them (Reiner/Berthold/Annie faction) wanna take revenge on the offspring of the rich people who closed within the walls leaving the others die at the titans teeth.

Well thinking about the titan into the walls the same people that take refuge there must knewn a lot about titans... What if someone (a government leader/scientist/general etc) commits a BIG MISTAKE (and crime against humanity) creating the titans and than try to save himself and others rich (paying) people moving to a place defended by the same titans bodies built as a wall?
    Maybe Maria, Rose and Sina were his daughters name or something similar.

A lot of stuff here, maybe too much! ^^

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fayte View Post
    That is not a theory lol. That's what the story naturally leads you to believe. You don't have to do much thinking to say "Eren must have been dreaming/ having a vision." It is common knowledge.
    Lol might as well make everything more dramatic and call them all theories! hehe :P

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
    I don't know where to put this, so I'll post it here since we were talking about the walls anyway.

So, have you guys seen this? Pretty interesting eh? This makes things a little clearer. The walls were already there when humans settled there. On ships. To a new world. That's why the religious people worship it so much and call it a gift from god.

Editing to say that I reread the earlier chapters and Armin has a book which talks about the world outside the walls and well....it's basically earth. oops at me. my bad.
    Oh wow thanks for the link!!! Wowow, "walls have previously been prepared" really solves a lot of the questions (although only to present more haha.) This will really help in more speculations in the future!

I also clicked on the link to the original post, and guess what? the language on the canned herring in chapter 38 is also upside-down Japanese! (it says "nishin," which means "herring.") Makes me wonder if there really were a race of Japanese out there before a huge gap in time with a lot of knowledge/technology gone loss. I would at least expect that 'Japanese' race is part of the Oriental group from which Mikasa also descended, and the language is designed based on the real Japanese Katakana.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that the reverse katakana is only a way for the author to conceal incipit into the series nothing related to Mikasa or some sort of japanese people who live before the titan century...

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teioh View Post
    I think that the reverse katakana is only a way for the author to conceal incipit into the series nothing related to Mikasa or some sort of japanese people who live before the titan century...
    The author concealing things is one reason, but the reverse katakana is also on the can of herring Ymir finds in the old castle (it says n-shi-ni on the can, which is ni-shi-n in reverse meaning herring lol.) But personally I really don't consider the world of the Titans the same as our world either, resemblance yes, but cannon no.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Never read Hunter x Hunter?

In that manga there's an alphabet made by the author using HIRAGANA (same syllabic alphabet of KATAKANA but with different writing and use), a simple cryptography that imo SnK author used as well.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teioh View Post
    Never read Hunter x Hunter?

In that manga there's an alphabet made by the author using HIRAGANA (same syllabic alphabet of KATAKANA but with different writing and use), a simple cryptography that imo SnK author used as well.
    Ah what I want to say is, the fact that a 'made-up language' is written on canned food suggests to me it's not about concealing so much (or not just about concealing, depending on how you take it,) but it actually belongs to a race of people within the SnK Universe. For a start, I wouldn't think anyone would try to mass produce canned fish labelled in secret codes lol :P

Since Mikasa, who is of "Oriental decent" (as the manga puts it,) has a Japanese name that resembles that of our real world, I make a bold assumption by saying this Japanese-looking language is the native language of Mikasa's race. If not of Mikasa's race, then it has gotta be a language of something, since Ymir can read it too. As I say, I don't really relate SnK Universe to our real world, but I am lenient when it comes to designs and concepts inspired by our real world.

Just for the reference, I've flipped the panel in question, pull up the contrast, and highlighted the part of interest in the following picture:

ンシニ
    which is basically ニシン (herring) in reverse (remember that I've flipped the picture upside-down!)

As an aside, I haven't read Hunter x Hunter, so I'm not too sure of the details. What is that alphabet about? Where does it come in it the plot? or is that just a language of their universe?

New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast