Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why did Annie kill the two titans held by the Recon Corps !?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why did Annie kill the two titans held by the Recon Corps !?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandreus View Post
    Well but Annie was in the Police rather than the Scouting Legion, so it's not like she was likely to ever be around those Titans for them to show any unusual behavior.
    Even if you consider it might have been Reiner's and Berth's cover to be on the line, I would still question why is it that it's Annie who does the actual dispatching.

She did bother with going outside wall Sina (it's there that the MP stay most of the time, right?) and going all the way to where the Scouts HQ is to take the Titans out, so I think it's safe to assume there's a deeper meaning to all of this.
    Annie at the time was with them though, she had not yet picked a squad as far as I can recall. She was even present during the 3d gear inspection which resulted in armin getting suspicious. Perhaps annie doing it is what made the most sense overall. Annie was the most skilled at the 3d gear from what I recall and there is the fact that she was soon going to go away from everyone.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugh, yeah you're probably right, maybe I'm not recalling the right order of events.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member mikasaaa's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Sawney and Bean weren't the first titans to be captured by the Scouting Legion, Hanji herself said so.
    So why did Annie feel the need to kill them, risking being exposed? My guess is that it has something to do with Eren, a shifter, entering the Scouting Legion. Why weren't Hanji's past experiments killed off before Eren was revealed to be a titan shifter?

Here are my guesses:
    - Annie wanted Eren to be handed over to the Military Police so she could get her hands on him as soon as possible (and that might be one of the reasons for her to join that military branch besides spying on the Wall Cultists). Since his trial didn't do the job, she killed Sawney and Bean on purpose so Eren would be incriminated and sent to the Capital under the Military Police's care, (at least that's the first thing I thought when I saw it happen) but unfortunately for her Eren at the time was pulling an all-nighter talking with none other than Hanji, so they couldn't even suspect it was him.
    - Annie knew that experimenting on ordinary titans as well as having a shifter (Eren) available as a test subject would lead to an undesirable outcome for Bertholdt, Reiner and her. Maybe Hanji, with enough time in her hands, would discover the key to titan shifting or something while studying the comparison between Eren and her two captured titans.
    Last edited by mikasaaa; August 17, 2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: still working on my english skills

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Where was it said it was Annie?As in actually saying it was her.
    Quite sure it's still all speculation especially since it's stated that there were 2 people.
    Incase you don't understand:
    It means it cannot be Bertholdt and Reiner either as proven by the Investigation.

The proof lies within the proof here.
    How did Armin believe it was Annie?
    Last edited by Beatrice; August 15, 2013 at 08:15 PM.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ImmortalZodd's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

If it wasn't Annie, then why would she give Marco's 3dm equipment for inspection afterwards?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Yumpo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    Where was it said it was Annie?As in actually saying it was her.
    Quite sure it's still all speculation especially since it's stated that there were 2 people.
    Incase you don't understand:
    It means it cannot be Bertholdt and Reiner either as proven by the Investigation.

The proof lies within the proof here.
    How did Armin believe it was Annie?
    I'm with ImmortalZodd here. It would be kinda pointless for Annie to present Marco's gear if she wasn't one of Sonny and Bean's killers. Of course, it doesn't mean that she did this all alone. She could've brought Reiner or Bertolt with her.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalZodd View Post
    If it wasn't Annie, then why would she give Marco's 3dm equipment for inspection afterwards?
    Are you aware what Armin said about the Gear?
    "How do you know it was Marco's?"
    "I don't...."
    "Do you have something more concrete than guesses?"
    "No..."

Eve if, Eren even mentions the whole idea of "Annie just backing up" someone.

Quote Quote:
    Of course, it doesn't mean that she did this all alone. She could've brought Reiner or Bertolt with her.
    So how did they cheat the investigation of the Gears?
    They were all checked by the Authorities, had they used it, they would have been exposed.
    We have one that may be Marcos but we have no idea it was her except for "Maybe, Maybe Not".
    And to think this is a One Trick Pony another Gear just happening to be around is more than improbable.

I repeat:
    Only the Trainees were investigated.
    Last edited by Beatrice; August 15, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Yumpo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    Are you aware what Armin said about the Gear?
    "How do you know it was Marco's?"
    "I don't...."
    "Do you have something more concrete than guesses?"
    "No..."

Eve if, Eren even mentions the whole idea of "Annie just backing up" someone.
    That lines were during the flashback in Chapter 32:
    http://www.batoto.net/read/_/95951/s...ch32_by_tdx/29

Armin explained as to why he knows it was Marco's gear a Chapter before:
    TDX: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/89976/s...ch31_by_tdx/36
    Gantz_Waitingroom: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/89290/s...waitingroom/36

And he was sure of it that it was Marco's during ^Chapter 31 too.
    Quote Quote:
    So how did they cheat the investigation of the Gears?
    They were all checked by the Authorities, had they used it, they would have been exposed.
    We have one that may be Marcos but we have no idea it was her except for "Maybe, Maybe Not".
    And to think this is a One Trick Pony another Gear just happening to be around is more than improbable.
    They could have easily done what Annie had did. They were in charge of moving bodies during the cleanup. There must have been a working gear out there that can be presented.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Oh just to add too that "Annie backing up someone" is TDX translation only. There was no word in the raws that implied she was backing up a person. Gantz_Waitingroom got that line right: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/89290/s...waitingroom/39
    Last edited by Yumpo; August 15, 2013 at 09:06 PM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ImmortalZodd's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

What Yumpo said. Also, what makes you thing only the trainees were investigated?
    http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/18/3
    "And now they are looking for culprits among us trainees, huh.."

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Themistocles's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Shifters don't transform into Titans, they conjure titan bodies (the fact their bodies rest in the nape of the neck prove this) whereas it is plausible that regular titans are humans transformed into Titans (connie's village, no human in nape of the neck).

It is clear that Annie killed Bean and Sonny. Whether it was for the military police (which she wasn't a part of yet officially if I recall correctly) or personal motivation or for her "comrades".

It seems the purpose was to just stop the Scouting Corps from gathering information on the Titans, whether their composition, or just basic information from them.

If she acted as a Warrior (enemy of mankind) this move makes sense. Stop your enemy from gathering information which may improve their chances. There is obviously something about the Titans that either the Village or the Political-Religious Elite want to keep secret, or want to keep away from the Scouting Corps.

Edit: Immortal Zodd, that link to chapter 18, the left middle panel has Annie in the background during Armin's exposition, that sly author.
    Last edited by Themistocles; August 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

In the last chapter ymir said she had stolen titan powers or something of the sort. I am wondering if that had anything to do with annie killing them. Perhaps it is possible to some degree for a large number of people to steal titan powers from normal titans. I could see the trio having an issue with more humans becoming titans. They are deep in their mission and apparently they were relatively close to the end so they wouldn't want more people figuring this out. Honestly, if they could figure out a way to collect titan powers from titans they could turn the tide of the war altogether. Perhaps eren was someone with the innate ability to steal titan powers and his transformation was the result of being eaten and taking that titan's abilities.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Just gonna keep it simple:

Idea 1:
    One of them remains very active 3 hours into the dark ---> just like the night-titans?? Specially made?

Idea 2:
    Having these two around might cause them to find out Eren's "special power"

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    Just gonna keep it simple:

Idea 1:
    One of them remains very active 3 hours into the dark ---> just like the night-titans?? Specially made?

Idea 2:
    Having these two around might cause them to find out Eren's "special power"
    Yup that was the first thing I noticed too. It's one of the key differences between basic titans and those made by the Ape. But how would the knowledge of different 'sleep' states for titans help the Wall people and endanger the Warriors? Now I feel like having the titans in the walls around Eren was bad because
    Spoiler show

RBA were really thrown to the wind by their organization if there's no more conspirators than just the three. They really had their work cut out for them lol

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

What I find, is that "mindless" titans preferably seek titan shifters.... We see that when Eren transforms the first time, most titans went toward devouring Eren rather than many of the humans around the area.

I believe this because Ymir explains she had been roaming as a titan for 60 years, and what I got was that she was the one who ate Reiner and Bertholdt's friend, Berik. (Whom I assume was a shifter if he was hanging out with Reiner & Bertholdt in titan territory). Then Reiner specifically says because of that, she was able to regain her human form.

Now with regards to Annie killing the titans, we can definitely say that they were killed because they were absolutely capable of revealing some sort of secret. Which was probably why they had to be killed. Whether it was actually Annie that killed them, I still hesitate to think it was her.. she kind of gave Armin the impression that yes she was part of it but it wasn't her. That's how I understoof it anyway.

And to address the issue of titan shifter's being cut, well several instances already listed here show that humans can't be killed(easily or at all) while in titan form. However, it seems that the only effective way to kill a titan shifter is in human form, probably beheading them/taking their nape as well. (We see Mikasa attempt this but fail)

Jean x Mikasa

*Signature&profile photos do not belong to me, I do not know the original makers*

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2