Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Engrish Name Fixes

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Engrish Name Fixes

Okay so I recently found out that some of the characters have hardcore Engrish names, so I made this thread to lay it all out and correct it. If you have some that you know of, post them. This is like a game of Mad Gab.

Rivaille ---> Levi
    Hanji --> Angie
    Eren --> Aaron?
    Irvin --> Erwin
    Last edited by Fayte; May 30, 2013 at 07:18 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Georgie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engrish Name Fixes

How everyone spells the character's names differently drives me crazy.
    Irvin Smith:
    So, I have seen some scanlations spelling his name: Irvin, Irwin, Erwin and Elvin, and one scanlation kept switching from Irvin to Elvin
    So I think his English name is supposed to be: Erwin
    Last edited by Georgie; May 29, 2013 at 08:06 AM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Eren stays Eren, without a particular reason, although its Turkish meaning is more or less the same as the Hebrew Aaron. I just think if it were Aaron, the Japanese version of the name would be different.

Smith is definitely Erwin I'd say, because it is derived from "army" and "friend" in German.

I also think Jan is more suitable than Jean because his last name is Kirstein.

And Hanji could possibly be Hans.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know that infact only the author can solve this name's problem?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
    How everyone spells the character's names differently drives me crazy.
    I know, it drives me crazy too. As soon as I found out that "Rivaille" is actually supposed to be pronounced "Levi" I said, "Oooookay. That's it."

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune
    I think Eren stays Eren, without a particular reason, although its Turkish meaning is more or less the same as the Hebrew Aaron. I just think if it were Aaron, the Japanese version of the name would be different.
    The name "Eren" could stand alone as it's Turkish form, if for some reason the character is Turkish. The reason I think it is probably "Aaron" is because it isn't just used in Hebrew culture. Aaron is by far the more popular name. Within the context of the biblical names of the other characters (Moses, Thomas, Samuel, Hannah, Levi), it seems really likely that the name "Aaron" is more appropriate than the less popular "Eren." Not to mention the fact that the main character is supposed to represent a leadership role like the Aaron of the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune
    And Hanji could possibly be Hans.
    The name variants are supposed to be based on pronunciation. As in, "What other names sound like how you would say 'Hanji?'" Hans is not only a different name, but it is a boy name. I doubt a girl character would have a boy name. (Though, Connie is a boy character with a girl name)

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the manga has a german theme to it so we shouldn't be speaking about translating the names to english per say but rather talking about the proper german names. Otherwise we are transforming engrish to germrish...The translations in the OP seem to make sense overall based on my quick google research on german names (which was every bit as short as it sounds). Aaron makes more sense than a turkish name, the manga does not seem to have any sort of turkish theme to it at all.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fayte View Post
    The name "Eren" could stand alone as it's Turkish form, if for some reason the character is Turkish. The reason I think it is probably "Aaron" is because it isn't just used in Hebrew culture. Aaron is by far the more popular name. Within the context of the biblical names of the other characters (Moses, Thomas, Samuel, Hannah, Levi), it seems really likely that the name "Aaron" is more appropriate than the less popular "Eren." Not to mention the fact that the main character is supposed to represent a leadership role like the Aaron of the Bible.

The name variants are supposed to be based on pronunciation. As in, "What other names sound like how you would say 'Hanji?'" Hans is not only a different name, but it is a boy name. I doubt a girl character would have a boy name. (Though, Connie is a boy character with a girl name)

I'm quite aware of Aaron's meaning, exactly because of your point on the biblical names. But I couldn't get pass the fact that Aaron translated into Japanese has a totally different pronunciation to the 'Eren' they're currently using. If anything, I think the author could have derived the name from Aaron, but corrupts it as Eren to make it sound gentler at the same time snappier. Though Eren originally has a slightly different meaning ('saint,') I wouldn't say it doesn't work in this case.

And whaa? Hanji is a girl??

/jk

Sorry, I was supposed to type Hansi ^^;

New Reply