Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: were kisame and itachi actually close friends? or did they just work well together?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

were kisame and itachi actually close friends? or did they just work well together?

Ok look back first off, at the scene when kisame and itachi first met (shown at the end of the episode when kisame died) there was mutual respect but tension between them

then look as their relationship progressed

remember when itachi was using MS abilities

kisame told him not to put too much strain on his eyes, almost like he cared about him
    now i think a certain strategic edge is also a factor, as kisame wouldnt want his partner to become weaker or blind

ok my next example is when itachi, in edo form saw samehada on bee's back he actually seemed saddened by the thought of kisame being dead

and i remember when kisame stopped the taka group and allowed only sasuke to pasz

it seemed like he really wanted itachis will to be granted even if it had nothing to do with their mission

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member naruto the best's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: were kisame and itachi actually close friends? or did they just work well together?

We haven't seen much but as what you raised as examples I know there were times that they really care for each other, may it be for just the good of their team or some personal relationship.

And one thing I like was that even in Kisame's death he still remembers Itachi and even thought about Itachi's death as compared to his.

http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/508/5
    http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/508/9
    http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/508/10
    http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/508/11

Honorable.....
    Amazing......

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Knightmare of heaven 0's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: were kisame and itachi actually close friends? or did they just work well together?

Friendship? No.I don't think so.Kisame had huge respect for Itachi i believe.When Itachi died it's not like he remembered Kisame or something lol But when Kisame was dying he did remember Itachi and was like this

Spoiler show

Clearly he had a lot of respect for Itachi.Perhaps Itachi did have respect for Kisame too.
    So yeah,they respected each other and worked well.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by naruto the best View Post
    We haven't seen much but as what you raised as examples I know there were times that they really care for each other, may it be for just the good of their team or some personal relationship.

And one thing I like was that even in Kisame's death he still remembers Itachi and even thought about Itachi's death as compared to his.

http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/508/5
    http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/508/9
    http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/508/10
    http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/508/11

Honorable.....
    Amazing......
    Holy crap.I was looked for the same pages and made similar explanation lol.I got ninja'd

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven 0 View Post
    Friendship? No.I don't think so.Kisame had huge respect for Itachi i believe.When Itachi died it's not like he remembered Kisame or something lol But when Kisame was dying he did remember Itachi and was like this

Spoiler show

Clearly he had a lot of respect for Itachi.Perhaps Itachi did have respect for Kisame too.
    So yeah,they respected each other and worked well.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Holy crap.I was looked for the same pages and made similar explanation lol.I got ninja'd
    yes but remember the moment when he saw the samehada on bee's back? he seemed to be thinking of kisame then

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

They were probably decent friends but they definitely had mutual respect. Kisame did care for Itachi, though Itachi did act cold but respectful towards Kisame. They constantly showed respect towards one another other than that flashback when they first met. Could also be mutual understanding of each other.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Knightmare of heaven 0's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Could also be mutual understanding of each other.
    Yeap.Since they both have similar past.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    yes but remember the moment when he saw the samehada on bee's back? he seemed to be thinking of kisame then
    Yeah.It could also be that he thought that Kisame was strong and couldn't die easily.Kishi just added it just to make it look like Itachi acknowledges that something happened to Kisame obviously.I wouldn't really call it friendship,it's not like Itachi was shown to be depressed on Kisame's death.I don't really remember that moment you are talking about.A pic would help

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

no i never said he was depressed, it was just how he said it "i see so even kisame..." or something like that

i agree with m3j that it was mostly mutual respect; just kisame worrying about itachis eyes telling him to take it easy came accross as genuine concern

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LnDRash's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/549/5

This would be the page in question. Although I do remember there were at least three different translations and Itachi sounded more or less different in each of them, so no idea how accurate this one is.
    Click here for what I consider the definition of "simply brilliant"

Quote Originally Posted by syx View Post
    He was once a very charismatic, kind, special and inspiring person. LnDRash was a premium brand, now this brand is called LnDTRash!

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yes the other panel in question is when kisame stopped the taka group to allow only sasuke to pass

this obviously want an order from tobi or pain but he almost seemed happy to help itachi out

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sanga Au79's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i believe Kisame knew everything about Itachi and possibly every other member to due to his rank and loyalty traits. coupled with his skills he was a prime find for Obito under the guise of Madara/Mizukage and may have even been a double spy himself for Tobi to watch over Itachi but out of respect and good partnership assisted him with his plan for Sasuke.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Delbi's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

More so than any of the Shinobi in Aktasuki Itachi and Kisame represented what it meant to be a Shinobi more so than anyone else. Even though many of these shinobi started out from shinobi villages, many of them didn't want to be shinobi, they had other aspirations, and being a good shinobi and being loyal to their villages wasn't one of them.

Think about it.

Nagato and Konan were never shinobi, they were children who were trained in the shinobi arts and then created a terrorist group to appose a Shinobi village in Ame in which they lived in close proximity too.

Hidan was a religious lunatic

Kakazu was a money hungry bounty hunter

Deidara was a terrorist

Sasori turned himself into a puppet and killed his own Kage when he was young

Zetsu is a plant

Orochimaru was a dedicated shinobi, but then stopped caring about being one and became interested in other things

Obito was also like this, and then was changed by Madara

That leaves Itachi and Kisame, who didn't stop being good shinobi until the day they died. Kisame killed himself in order to keep his comrades in Akatsuki safe, and Itachi followed his orders to keep Konoha safe up until he died for his brother. Aside from them both being immensely powerful, they must have respected one another due to their similar shinobi code and ways of doing things.
    "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Nagato learning Ninjutsu means he's a Shinobi now. He even referred to himself as such. No matter what your goals are, learning Ninjutsu means you're a Shinobi.

Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNight View Post
    Nagato learning Ninjutsu means he's a Shinobi now. He even referred to himself as such. No matter what your goals are, learning Ninjutsu means you're a Shinobi.
    He wasn't raised as one though, he was taught the shinobi arts, but did not act like shinobi act, or live like them.

All the members of Aktasuki minus Nagato, Konan, and Zetsu were trained as shinobi and came from shinobi villages. That isn't the case with Nagato and Konan, they are entirely different. They never went on missions, never went to school, never held an allegiance to a village until they killed Hanzo and took over Ame.
    "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Delbi View Post
    He wasn't raised as one though, he was taught the shinobi arts, but did not act like shinobi act, or live like them.

All the members of Aktasuki minus Nagato, Konan, and Zetsu were trained as shinobi and came from shinobi villages. That isn't the case with Nagato and Konan, they are entirely different. They never went on missions, never went to school, never held an allegiance to a village until they killed Hanzo and took over Ame.
    Shinobi is just another word for "Ninja." So regardless of what they do, they're all Shinobi. And if we get too technical, the only real "Ninja" in this show that I remember is part 1 Kabuto (and possibly the ANBU).

Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNight View Post
    Shinobi is just another word for "Ninja." So regardless of what they do, they're all Shinobi. And if we get too technical, the only real "Ninja" in this show that I remember is part 1 Kabuto (and possibly the ANBU).
    Shinobi how it is defined by the manga is a "tool". Specifically, a tool who is the servant of the a village or an organization. Nagato and Konan weren't that, they were something higher, they fought for freedom.

Kakakzu fought for money, Hidan for religion, Deidara for terrorism/art/wanting to be remembered, Sasori for Art, Orochiarmu for immortality, etc etc.

Itachi and Kisame were unique because they fought for their village, for their mission. Kisame killed him own comrades for the sake of a mission. Itachi killed his family for his village and his brother. Itachi fought to protect Konoha even in death, and Kisame took his own life to protect Akatsuki. They were the only one's who showed this kind of qualities, the qualities of a true shinobi.

And of course they aren't "real ninja" like the real life ones that were used by the Samurai in Japan. But they they hold the core values that ninja hold much better than their comrades in Akatsuki, hence why they worked so well together.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply