Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Possible name for Ichigos new Zanpakutou-

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DarkBankai's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Possible name for Ichigos new Zanpakutou-

I thought it might be fun to speculate on what new name ichigos zanpaktou will have after the reforging process.

I personally think that the name will remain similar to zangetsu.

I am thinking that Ichigos new zanpaktou will be called Zengetsu.
    1.because he will finally be at peace or (zen) with himself.
    2. because it is basically zangetsu 2.0.
    3. Isshin, had the FGT, used it, knew about getting bankai repaired, I suspect he went through something similar, and his zanpaktou, is called Engetsu,(also, it might have previously been Angetsu. )
    so I am thinking the change will only be in the front prefix part of getsu.

thoughts?
    Last edited by DarkBankai; May 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM.

Be proud, that after receiving my blade you still retain the shape of a human.

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Possible name for Ichigos new Zanpaktou-

I would find it weird to actually see a change in name of the zampakuto.... I mean, zangetsu as a whole has been developed quite a bit and at large his name and abilities have been relevant themes through the manga. Its not completely out of question but even if such a thing does happen I would think it is more likely that something gets added to the name than having anything within the "zangetsu" part change. The whole moon cutting thing is extremely relevant to the plot overall, such a thing cannot be ignored. Even the aizen vs ichigo thing was relevant to the very names of their zampakuto. Zangetsu, the moon cutter, against kyoka suigetsu, the moon which couldn't be reached and the whole parable about the monkey being unable to grasp the moon.... The relevance in the whole thing is about ichigo being able to do the impossible, like when it was impossible to for ichigo to defeat byakuya and he still did or when it was impossible to defeat aizen but still did. Its a very weird thing to change.

At most I would think zangetsu will change appearance and personality wise overall. As far as we can tell zangetsu is about to fuse to the nameless asauchi which ichigo choose so there really is not a reason for him to have a name change.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm... so you think that the avatar of zangetsu will change but the name will not?
    then why would ichigo have to say good bye to zangetsu.

well if the asauchi is nameless, and they fuse, then there is no good bye. something has to change beyond just the avatar.

ichigos sword, has had a few new looks over the years, perhaps this will be both an external and internal change.
    Knowing kubo, this wont be revealed for a few chapters.

oh snap,
    I just had a thought about a possible double troll-

Kenpachi, and ichigo are about to both get introduced to their zanpaktou.
    this could play out pretty cool.

I wonder if ichigo will have to relearn bankai?
    Last edited by DarkBankai; May 30, 2013 at 03:41 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBankai View Post
    hmm... so you think that the avatar of zangetsu will change but the name will not?

well if the asauchi is nameless, and they fuse, then there is no good bye. something has to change beyond just the avatar.

ichigos sword, has had a few new looks over the years, perhaps this will be both an external and internal change.

oh snap,

Because it makes for a better cliffhanger. It isn't the first time in Manga history that a chapter ends in a dramatic and drastic tone, only for it to be played down in the beginning of the next chapter. "You will have to say goodbye to Zangetsu" makes for more suspense than "You will have to say goodbye to the current form of Zangetsu". It isn't implausible that Nimaiya meant that some of Zangetsu's features will be changed. Personally, I think it's too late in the story to change Ichigo's Zanpaktou. I also hope that isn't the case, because I like Zangetsu.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBankai View Post

oh snap,

I find that question rather strange lol. I mean, why would it be "just" the avatar? The implication of what I mention, zangetsu fusing with an asauchi, is that zangetsu is about to turn into another dude to a great extent. Zangetsu could be called anything else but still be zangetsu but in turn what is happening is that zangetsu is about to get fundamentally changed. Even if he is still named zangetsu he will still be essentially a different guy from the one we know at large. The name change is ultimately the least important of the changes that will happen assuming there is a name change. Its likely that ichigo's new zampakuto will have a great deal of the old zangetsu but adding the asauchi part still means its not technically the guy ichigo knows.

As far as abilities go I don't think there is much reason for that to change. The zangetsu we know was still a fundamental part of ichigo's souls and ichigo's power itself. Whatever happens to zangetsu I don't think there is a reason for that in particular to change. As far as we know ichigo just imprinted the essence of his soul into an asauchi and it is about to get forged into his new zampakuto and bankai... While it could affect several aspects of what zangetsu is (I am inclined to thinking it would be his appearance and personality more than anything) the idea that getting an asauchi would change ichigo's souls to the point of him having different abilities is kinda weird. As far as we know an asauchi is supposed to help a shinigami manifest his inherent abilities, not change them.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that's along the lines of what I'm thinking. I suspect that the abilities will remain more or less the same. Or rather that Ichigo will still be able to use all of his current techniques, although there's a possibility that he'll also learn something new. Zangetsu's appearance will most likely change again.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeta42's Avatar
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be extremely cool is Ichigo's bankai (Tensa Zangetsu) became his new shikai. And his new bankai would be even more powerful.

Which also fits the "say goodbye to Zangetsu" thing.
    Last edited by Zeta42; May 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Toby_Temple's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who is very good with the Japanese language?

He/she can use Engetsu and Zangetsu as reference and make one similar with these 2 names.
    NO to KUROSAKI ICHIGO USING a BOW!!!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member nitsthegame's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Mūnkatto no yumi - meaning- moon cutting bow

visit me here

Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Ah great, another bowophile... how would a bow be "cutting", anyway?
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta42 View Post
    I think it would be extremely cool is Ichigo's bankai (Tensa Zangetsu) became his new shikai. And his new bankai would be even more powerful.

Which also fits the "say goodbye to Zangetsu" thing.
    THAT!! is a good idea.
    It but I thought the purpose of reforging his zanpaktou, was to fix his broken bankai.
    I dont know if his new zanpaktou is going to have a different bankai, or just some new aspects that incorporate his quincy heritage?

It might be cool to see ichigos shinigami robes with new white bits of cloth worked in there.

Perhaps his new hilt, will be a 5 sided swazsticka, to counter the quincy cross.
    I still want the name to change slightly, I was hoping for zengetsu, or something to signify, that this is a new / different incarnation of the zanpaktou.

Dam, I can hardly wait to find out whats in next weeks chapter.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Zengetsu would be a remarkably weird name though. Doesn't "zen" mean peaceful moon or something of the sort? So far ichigo's abilities have been consistent with all of the powers he has and a number of plot themes we have seen. Zangetsu is the moon cutter, his power is getsuga tensho, the heavenly fang moon piercer, the themes of ichigo's fights involve cutting the moon which is a representation of ichigo doing stuff which is supposed to the impossible. After the final getsuga tensho, when ichigo becomes the getsuga (the moon piercer) comes the mugetsu, the moonless sky.... It might not sound like much but changing the zangetsu thing in any way would actually have an effect on the future plot and themes so to speak.

So far ichigo's more significant enemies have always in some form even be correlated to the moon. Byakuya used his little story to make renji a monkey and himself into the moon. Aizen had kyoka suigetsu.... Ulquiorra was shown alongside the moon a number of times as he fought ichigo if I recall correctly. Its all extremely relevant.

Now, if there was a name change I think it would at least have to involve a coherent theme change for ichigo. Seeing the manga there is one thing that would kinda make sense to me to some extent. As the manga has mentioned vandenreich has a thing called the sun's gate which is apparently how the quincy travel. On top of that juhabach just took yamamoto's bankai which was (as many expected) an ability yamamoto used to turn himself into a sort of mini sun. Basically if there is a change in name in regards to zangetsu it has to be something a bit grander than just the moon. Now that the moon has been destroyed (getsuga tensho and mugetsu) what is left is the sun which will be ichigo's next target. So.... Zantaiyo? that sounds kinda weird though. I also have no knowledge whatsoever of the meaning of the sun in jap symbolism for that matter.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member nitsthegame's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

well zangetsu meant peaceful moon...

so maybe new zan will be raging sun-Taiyō o arekuruu

@kkck

sun is never linked with peacefulness, sun is linked to rage, power, etc...

visit me here

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nitsthegame View Post
    well zangetsu meant peaceful moon...

so maybe new zan will be raging sun-Taiyō o arekuruu

@kkck

sun is never linked with peacefulness, sun is linked to rage, power, etc...
    Zangetsu means cutting moon or moon cutter, as far as I can tell peaceful is not included there (that would be the zengetsu thing darkbankai came up with). I never linked the sun to peacefulness.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Defends on which culture you think about, some cultures are also viewing the Sun the same way as Science does. The Sun, a star, the creater, bringer and destroyer of life.

Byakuya told Renji that he would never be able to cut him some chapters before Rukia's execution. That he was like a monkey trying to reach out for the moon in the reflected water of a lake.
    Ironically a few chapters later, Ichigo announces his zanpaktou name to Byakua, Cutting Moon, which should have made an impact on Byakuya considering he had the same day uttered the words to Renji that he was the moon he would never be able to reach in the water reflection.

Ichigo's zanpaktou name sort of reflects to cut the uncutable, if you think about Byakuya's words, right before their fight as a hint.

The Sun however is the creater, bringer and destroyer of life, it might very well fit Ichigo's coming status in the world, whether he'll protect the Soul King or not, Ichigo might end up as the most powerful being, able to control life, similar to the sun.

Keep in mind that EVERY ressource on Earth that we currently use for energy, has come from the Sun. Life came from Sun, our energy came from the Sun, chemicals, metals and other elements came from exploding Stars. Energy never crease to excist, it's just transformed into another form.
    Basically everything that isn't Hydrogen and Helium comes from the stars.
    Every movement you make with your body, is energy from our Sun, but transformed through different processs here on Earth, i.e. the plants recieving sunlight, then eaten by animals, then we humans eat the animals. The energy is just transformed and transfered, it all came from the Sun.

So the Sun isn't all about destruction, it's a creater and bringer of life as well.
    It would actually be fitting for Ichigo, especially considering the weirdness with his dads Zanpaktou being a fire type.

Albeit not really sure whether I like this or not yet, but I think it's plausible no less.

Actually perhaps one may stretch it a bit.
    Ichigo could have similar modes like Yama-Jii had, like his bankai East, West, North, South.
    One could imagine that Ichigo had the power in symbolism of the Moon and the Sun, but I thnik this last one is a bit messy and looses its symbolism, so it's probably not likely, it has to be either the Moon or the Sun, not both.
    Last edited by Quantized; May 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast