Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: Thinking About Making an Infographic on Shingeki no Kyojin

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking About Making an Infographic on Shingeki no Kyojin

Hi, I was wondering what do you think about someone making an infographic on the popularity of the series. It's unbelievable how much attention it's getting. I want to do something that shows how powerful the series is.

I want to do something similar to the One Piece infographic that came out a while back. http://visual.ly/one-piece-numbers

Any advice on how to properly make a shareable and informative infographic?

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking About Making an Infographic on Shingeki no Kyojin

Keep calm and wait till the anime is finished (2X episode not more) and the live action will be screened than try to do something similar.

Off-topic: really annoying how people comments via Facebook that infographic page with sentence like "Naruto is the best" LOL, so childish...

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

It's always very interesting to see these. I do somewhat agree with teioh though, you should be able to have a lot more to share once the anime's over and done, and maybe even when they start selling Blu-rays/DVDs. More information means more interesting.

Though I have absolutely no idea where you can get the figures, statistics and whatnot, I'm sure if you do Japan-only, it'll be a lot easier since they tend to have a lot of numbers for these things. You can also include randomly interesting figures by gathering data from within the manga, if you can think of something more interesting than "number of pages Mikasa appears in" lol :P

In the designing aspect, the main idea is to get information across without having to 'read properly.' This means when you see a graph, you shouldn't have to read every word to straightaway know what the graph is about. This also means the formatting really counts, for example as you can see, in the "manga-cover appearance" section, the more appearance a character gets, the bigger their icon.

A graphic designer friend did slightly similar stuff in quite a creative way some years back:
    http://www.visualnews.com/2011/05/18...of-100-people/
    The way these are presented is so that you have a general idea straightaway what the chart is about. The massive word in bold font as the title for each graph is very helpful even if you don't read everything.

I think what the One Piece one is missing right now is the lack of funky designs, to give it all a One Piece feel. It could be as simple as using a skull instead of a dot for a point on a graph.

The "manga-cover appearance" is nice, but it doesn't stand out as much as it should. If it were me, I would have made a silhouette of each character and make some sort bar chart using them or something else. Because circles on their own are boring, frankly.

Also, if you look at the 'Popularity' section (last section,) the colours aren't very consistent. The 41% is represented by a dark colour in the first pie chart, but then the next two numbers are represented by a light colour. It's very confusing if you're not reading it carefully, meaning it's not at the full potential of what an infographic can give you.

Negative comments aside, the overall use of colours and shadings are very very pleasant. It makes people think, wow this is pro stuff.

Finally, as good statisticians should do, include your sources and the "All data is accurate as of DATE" disclaimer. If you find numbers from Wikipedia, source their source (located right at the bottom) not the Wiki page itself! The stats-unrelated opening sentence on the One Piece one saying "via Wikipedia" is fine.

Probably more ideas later. I'll stop writing here for now.
    Last edited by Utsune; May 31, 2013 at 07:59 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    It's always very interesting to see these. I do somewhat agree with teioh though, you should be able to have a lot more to share once the anime's over and done, and maybe even when they start selling Blu-rays/DVDs. More information means more interesting.

Though I have absolutely no idea where you can get the figures, statistics and whatnot, I'm sure if you do Japan-only, it'll be a lot easier since they tend to have a lot of numbers for these things. You can also include randomly interesting figures by gathering data from within the manga, if you can think of something more interesting than "number of pages Mikasa appears in" lol :P

In the designing aspect, the main idea is to get information across without having to 'read properly.' This means when you see a graph, you shouldn't have to read every word to straightaway know what the graph is about. This also means the formatting really counts, for example as you can see, in the "manga-cover appearance" section, the more appearance a character gets, the bigger their icon.

A graphic designer friend did slightly similar stuff in quite a creative way some years back:
    http://www.visualnews.com/2011/05/18...of-100-people/
    The way these are presented is so that you have a general idea straightaway what the chart is about. The massive word in bold font as the title for each graph is very helpful even if you don't read everything.

I think what the One Piece one is missing right now is the lack of funky designs, to give it all a One Piece feel. It could be as simple as using a skull instead of a dot for a point on a graph.

The "manga-cover appearance" is nice, but it doesn't stand out as much as it should. If it were me, I would have made a silhouette of each character and make some sort bar chart using them or something else. Because circles on their own are boring, frankly.

Also, if you look at the 'Popularity' section (last section,) the colours aren't very consistent. The 41% is represented by a dark colour in the first pie chart, but then the next two numbers are represented by a light colour. It's very confusing if you're not reading it carefully, meaning it's not at the full potential of what an infographic can give you.

Negative comments aside, the overall use of colours and shadings are very very pleasant. It makes people think, wow this is pro stuff.

Finally, as good statisticians should do, include your sources and the "All data is accurate as of DATE" disclaimer. If you find numbers from Wikipedia, source their source (located right at the bottom) not the Wiki page itself! The stats-unrelated opening sentence on the One Piece one saying "via Wikipedia" is fine.

Probably more ideas later. I'll stop writing here for now.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm planning to start working on it around Episode 20, which is about 75% of the anime season. It's also probably the time where an anime-only arc starts.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there'll be an anime-only arc. I think they'll just barely complete the "female titan" arc by then, and then the anime will go on hiatus until there's enough material to make another season (hopefully).

New Reply