Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is Mayuri's experiments about?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What is Mayuri's experiments about?

Tosen

That is all

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zimbardo's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: what Mayuri was workiing on

But why?
    And doing what on Tousen?

Mayuri has been known to work on bodies before - why all the secrecy about Tousen? An enemy - With a power that would greatly benefit SS to know about - especially considering that 3 of their captains suffer a similar condition...

I also doubt it is just an anti quincy weapon, as why would he be so secretive? Unless he believes the Quincy have spies in SS?

Similarly, I doubt it is purely a method to stop the bankai being stolen (I will move onto how I believe it will stop the bankai being stolen), as why hide this? This would surely be of great interest to SS...

I think it is much more likely to be something to do with the Asauchi.

For Shinigami, the zanpakuto is almost a part of them. Therefore to conduct experiments on them could potentially get into a grey area ethically (for Shinigami at least). Now Mayuri has already worked on his own zanpakuto - and doesn't hide the fact - so I doubt it is something so simple.
    But what about trying to separate the zanpakuto/Asauchi from the shinigami? Or separating the Asauchi from the zanpakuto? I feel that these could be experiments that he would want to conduct in secret - in case the central 46 hear and disapprove (they have never been one to pass light judgement).

If he could separate the Asauchi from the Shinigami then he could find a way to stop the Quincy being able to steal them. He may also be able to use a similar technique to separate the Bankai (not Asauchi) from the Quincy's medallions.

Now again, they did disapprove of the Shinigami/Hollow experiments - like Tousen - however, having accepted the former captains back to their posts it is likely that they don't see it as such an issue (their existence I mean - not the creation of de novo vizards. But Mayuri could quite easily use the excuse of trying to better understand the condition to help his 'friends' - or something. I am sure he could find a way to get away with such research.

On a side note - I have said it before, and still see it as unlikely, but Ryuujinjakka was never destroyed. Sure the bankai was stolen, but what happens to an Asauchi/Zanpakuto when it's Shinigami 'other' is killed? Any chance at a possible reappearance? Highly unlikely, but still... One can dream...
    Infinite RAGE!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted sarutobi_sensei's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c420smokey View Post
    Tosen

That is all
    I was also thinking of this. Maybe he is bringing him back to life in some sort of way.

That or he is bringing some other person back to life or just the brain like with Spiral King in Gurren Laggan.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Shader's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes yes, he is clearly creating a "homunculus", the question is what he is using as a material for it? Tosen thing was from mangapanda translation...but after reading MS translation it is looks a bit different (just some buzz noises with few letters to go through them). SS Ayon v 2.0 incoming

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NoOneInParticular's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing it's something to do with whatever he uncovered in Szayel Aporro's lab. But what could it be that he's keeping it secret from even his subordinates, who must have witnessed him performing all manner of mutilations and eviscerations and mutations on living, conscious subjects? I mean, what could possibly shock Akon so much at this point? The only thing I can think is that it's something that goes against SS's strictest laws.

No good guesses as to what that might be though...

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is Mayuri's experiments about?

Meh, I still think its just Kenpachi and his LT. Not sure why, but I think that is who is in that fuzzy image.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneInParticular View Post
    I'm guessing it's something to do with whatever he uncovered in Szayel Aporro's lab. But what could it be that he's keeping it secret from even his subordinates, who must have witnessed him performing all manner of mutilations and eviscerations and mutations on living, conscious subjects? I mean, what could possibly shock Akon so much at this point? The only thing I can think is that it's something that goes against SS's strictest laws.

No good guesses as to what that might be though...
    This or me was the first reaction, they've been pretty much ignored by the story since being found and Mayuri was VERY interested in what he found, would be strange though to just ignore the Bankai stealing threat to just dabble on something like that if you ask me, but he's a nutjob anyway

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick thing about it being Tousen.
    Here is a raw scan of the page
    Mayuri's exact words are
    "......か" Ka (in hiragana) - a common ending of Japanese words - can denote questions [but who is to say in this case]
    "...な........." Na (in hiragana) - could be an ending, or in the middle, or beginning of a word who knows - sometimes used [by men] to denote something as fact
    ".........ネ" Ne (in Katakana) - in all likeliness an ending of a word. As it is written in Katakana (and not Hiragana) it is likely a foreign word/not native Japanese word - it could be a name though.
    "......で..." De (in hiragana) - Can be used for many things quite common.
    ".........だ" Da (in hiragana) - Common ending - can be used for stating things as fact.

Now my Japanese isn't fantastic - so please feel free to step in and correct where necessary.

However, Mayuri never said Kaname.
    He also left a large pause - suggesting him saying other things that were not picked up - between the Ka and the Na. He also left a much bigger pause between the Na and the Ne (Ka. Na. Ne - not - Ka. Na. Me).

But what is even more important (something that would not be picked up by hearing, but can be clearly seen in the written form) is a change from Hiragana to Katakana. This would mean that, although it is possible for the Ka and the Na to be connected in one word, it is not possible for the Na to join the Ne (as both are written using different alphabets).

This doesn't mean that it is impossible that he was talking about Tousen at some point - however, it means that the "Ka. Na. Ne" can't all be part of his name. Also, the similarity is something that may be an intentional mislead - but unlikely due to the Japanese native readers being able to quickly pick up on the writing (something that is not as clear in English as it is in 日本語)
    Last edited by zimbardo; June 04, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
    Infinite RAGE!

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NoOneInParticular's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I don't see what he could possibly stand to gain by stitching Tousen back together at this point. The things he should be focusing on right now are things that will help regarding the Quincy threat. Stuff like preventing the theft of Bankai or enabling them to be taken back, or finding a way into the Vandenreich's territory. I wouldn't put it past him to put those aside in favour of something he'd find more interesting though.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish it were Tousen, but I highly doubt it is. I expect Aizen's Bankai to take care of that wish though.

As it was stated in this thread, it is most likely the specimen he found in Szayel's lab. The secrecy could be due to mainly the fact that whatever he is working on would be frowned upon by SS. Also it's possible that since the lab is in shambles he needed a different workspace and his room offered the things he needed.

It is quite possible that he is no longer looking into the Bankai problem as well. Maybe a certain man in a hat and clogs told him he has that covered and he should work on whatever he is working on.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eefrit View Post
    It is quite possible that he is no longer looking into the Bankai problem as well. Maybe a certain man in a hat and clogs told him he has that covered and he should work on whatever he is working on.
    I can not think of anything that would annoy him more

To be honest, had the humble shop owner found a method for solving the issue, I bet Mayuri would probably state how bad that method is and search for another one just out of spite!
    Infinite RAGE!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Tias's Avatar
    Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

But didn't Aizen lose his Zanpaktou since it vanished? But on the other hand he seemed to have been able to mess with Bachs perception of time a litte bit even if he was restrained as he is =I

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

Mayuri did take something from Hueco Mundo. He did have a wagon cart filled with something, right before he sent Ichigo through the Garganta to fight with the others against Aizen. This could be related to that.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Notak's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

^Agreed.

It's of course probably some sort of anti-Quincy thing. I'm guessing it will be an abomination with different people's bodyparts attached to it.

Maybe it will turn out to be something that seals the Quincy's power, it would be ironic.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member xXAshisogiJizoXx's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not only were there the two bodies we have yet to ID (and potentially other preserved specimens), Mayuri was very excited at the prospect of experimenting with arrancar, particularly the espada, so he wouldn't have left Szaeyel's body behind. He probably went to collect whatever bodies he could both in HM and fake KK, which would mean AA, possibly Nnoi and Stark (maybe Yammy?). Character Book Unmasked, IIRC, mentioned in AA's data page that Mayuri was curious of the red liquid. Hollow Frankenstein, maybe with some quincy put in there. If the bodies were of quincy, I would be surprised as to why Renji wouldn't bring that up, so not too sure. And if the bodies are really just the two privaron, that would be anti climactic without some kind of further explanation. A sufficiently powerful Arrancar monster would be a decent defense against at least individual sternritter. Pity Barragan couldn't be part of this if it does turn out to be an espada amalgam. The SR would be f*cked.
    Not Perfect is GOoD

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast