Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Shingeki no Kyojin 47 Discussion / 48 Predictions

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin 47 Discussion / 48 Predictions

This chapter definitely raised a lot more questions than answered anything for me, and made me more confused. Ymir mentioned a few things, but I don't see enough evidence to conclude some of the assumptions that are made here. We know Ymir was wandering around for 60 years, doesn't remember eating Bert and Reiner's friend. So in titan-form, they don't age. But I guess I don't see the evidence that a requirement to reverting back to human form is by eating a human. We just know it may have happened with Ymir. I'm not completely dismissing this idea, but I need to see more evidence. The others are complete mysteries to me.

I think that humans are turned into titans, but I'm wondering what the requirement is to do that. Somehow titans arose beyond Wall Rose without breaking through. And it's evident there are varying degrees of retaining your human nature (i.e. intelligence), which is why we have deviants. But again, how a human becomes a titan is yet to be revealed, but I think there is some link with Eren's father and of course, the basement.

We learned more this chapter, but at the same time, I feel like I haven't really learned anything. Maybe about Ymir's past, but that's about it. I'd be curious to see if Eren really did eat his father and that's how he became human again, which is totally possible if the idea that a titan must eat a human to turn back is true. If it is, it must also apply to only select titans--why they are selected/different from the rest is also unclear.

It's a lot to think about. Sucks I have to wait so long for the next chapter. Also, I think Hannes is going to end up sacrificing himself for the kids, which is... sad.

Quote Quote:
    Oh and btw, I don't think anyone but the 3 main protagonists can really count on any kind of plot-armor. I guess you can say some characters are less likely to die than others, but I guess Isayama has shown he's capable of killing cool characters whenever he sees fit. Scary.
    I also want to add Levi to that list (at least for a while), but yeah, that's a pretty accurate observation. I think all the kids have some sort of plot armor for now (i.e. Jean, Connie, Sasha, Crista). Isayama can be pretty merciless to his characters.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

By re-reading it again getting rid of first impressions, I don't entirely believe eating-human-to-revert-back-to-human either (or it could have some kind of logic behind eating human, who knows) but I just can't deny the link between their conversation and what happen between Eren and his father.

In terms of plot armour, I think some characters do have temporary ones. I think, should the characters die, Irvine would die to a greater cause, Connie can only die after contact with Reiner, Christa can only die after spilling out the slightest of what she knows (or what she doesn't know)... So yeah, Hannes Jean Sasha Connie Levi and the three shifters are pretty vulnerable right now XD

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think irwin is going to die at some point. He is too important but at the same time does not get enough focus. He is obviously the brains behind the scouting legion but at the same time he does not seem to be that active fighting and his influence is mostly felt from the background. He would be a meaningful death and perhaps would get the main cast truly desperate.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I can see Irwin dying but not here. (This feeling mainly comes from this page. Hanji would've informed him by that time. I'll be majorly impressed if he did die now lol.) Although I want to say he's the biggest brain we have right now, I just realise there's also Pixis behind him. I guess the setting at the moment still needs the big boss in the "good" side.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Levi is the most likely to die for me. That guy is the strongest human, in a world like SNK it's not very reassuring. Actually, Isayama handicapped because he would kill titans too easily. Since his first appearance I knew he would do something to handicap him.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    Levi is the most likely to die for me. That guy is the strongest human, in a world like SNK it's not very reassuring. Actually, Isayama handicapped because he would kill titans too easily. Since his first appearance I knew he would do something to handicap him.
    i doubt that. i feel like character development is lacking for Levi, we only have a VERY brief background on him plus is he is the most popular character in the series... if Levi dies, not only will it be totally unexpected, people would be upset since he's the most popular guy in the series (and we haven't seen much of anyone either) if anything he will end up something like fma's flame alchemist as a highly skilled fighter, or some kind of potential enemy later on in the series.

but i do think levi's criminal background will catch up with him eventually somehow, for some reason i think he was involved in human trafficking or something similar to how asians were traded and mikasa is the only asian-related character left in the series.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ImmortalZodd's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YEEKUZA View Post
    i for some reason i think he was involved in human trafficking or something similar to how asians were traded and mikasa is the only asian-related character left in the series.
    O_o
    He was just a punk thug while he was a kid. Pixis got him into military. That's it.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalZodd View Post
    O_o
    He was just a punk thug while he was a kid. Pixis got him into military. That's it.
    Petra said it was Erwin.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Looking at the last page though, how exactly is the scouting legion escaping this one? The entire situation kinda seems like its bent on screwing everyone and everything. On one hand its kinda unlikely reyner has the stamina to fully run away or the speed to keep his distance on his own. On the other hand behind the scouting legion there are more titans than there are members of the scouting legion. So.... how does anyone walk out of this one alive? Even if the gang does catch up to reyner, what are they going to do? If they stop moving at full speed to fight they will invariably have to deal with the titans following them. Of course its going to be night soon enough but it won't be immediate and some titans can stay active for hours at night (unless night makes them lethargic faster when doing physical activity). Even then, it does not seem like it will be night for at least another half hour or so. I guess they could survive if they all transform and start killing titans although that has some inherent risks.
    They could create a decoy/diversion. A group of them could split off and fight the titans slipping out of the forest while a lesser number of people continue the chase. Being on the edge of the forest at least gives them a minor geography advantage, and titans might be attracted to the larger concentration. But they're practically committing suicide if anything goes wrong (sacrifice the military police guys..?). And I'm not sure how efficient a small squad will do against Reiner and Ymir. But it's more a retrieval mission rather than a capture mission so it should be simpler.

Even then I'm frankly not sure what they can do if they manage to catch up to Reiner, the 3D gear is basically useless on flat terrains. And in my opinion, this seems like a good time to just tail them and have them lead them to the bigger fishes. Though that kinda sounds difficult as well. But I'm ultimately predicting Eren won't be retrieved. This is a good time to move the story to Reiner and Bert's faction and shed some light. The story won't move otherwise other than trying to crack Annie.
    -

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I think i got it. The only way for a titan to turn back into humans is to eat a human who is a titan shifter. Maybe that's why they're mindlessly trying to eat humans. It might also mean Eren ate his father who could've been a titan (considering he had the formula to turn eren into one) and somehow they don't even doubt that Eren ate someone which definitely means the requirement is to eat a certain type of human. They also mentioned that it happened to all of them.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Huesoman's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrveggie View Post
    I think i got it. The only way for a titan to turn back into humans is to eat a human who is a titan shifter.
    That could explain why Ymir became human again, maybe she accomplished it after eating Berik, who could have been a titan shifter since he was Reyner and Berthold's friend. I like the hipothesis, I guess we must wait and see.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Although it's possible eating a shifter does it, I don't think RB and Berik were shifters at the time, or there should have been up to three titans pounding on Ymir. :/

I agree w/ Knifeshade btw. We do need some more exposition and it seems too early for Eren to be recovered yet. If they've sighted the shifter party, we know the Scouts can stay in pursuit for a while as we learn more from RBY.
    Last edited by kannazuki; July 23, 2013 at 07:56 AM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

We would need to knew the circumstances under which ymir ate that kid though. Ymir does not have a particularly strong titan but it is almost without a doubt the fastest one we have seen. With her speed it is possible she are the kid before those 3 ever noticed. It is very strange reyner and berholt would have escaped without help after all from a titan. Even the dull dumb ones can easily catch a person..... ymir's should have been able to do that even more easily. I think they were young, did not have a chance to react to ymir and then they transformed and either beat the crap out of her or escaped. Perhaps it was this fight that lead to ymir being able to go back to human.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if Berik was a shifter I think he would act like Eren catched by Reiner: shift in Titan form and boom to Ymir hand...

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    We would need to knew the circumstances under which ymir ate that kid though. Ymir does not have a particularly strong titan but it is almost without a doubt the fastest one we have seen. With her speed it is possible she are the kid before those 3 ever noticed. It is very strange reyner and berholt would have escaped without help after all from a titan. Even the dull dumb ones can easily catch a person..... ymir's should have been able to do that even more easily. I think they were young, did not have a chance to react to ymir and then they transformed and either beat the crap out of her or escaped. Perhaps it was this fight that lead to ymir being able to go back to human.
    Maybe she regained consciousness after eating Berik and decided to let them go. She remembers that she ate a boy.

Thread Closed
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast