Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)

View Poll Results: I prefer...

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shoujo!

1 20.00%
  • Josei!

3 60.00%
  • No preference, really.

1 20.00%
  • I dislike both. :|

0 0%
New Reply

Thread: Shoujo vs Josei

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Shoujo vs Josei

We've been talking about many shoujo and some josei titles here for ages... But have you ever asked yourself, why shoujo or why josei? Do you have any preference from these two demographics? Have you tried both? What do you think of them? Or you just prefer to stick to shoujo, maybe?

Share!

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shoujo vs Josei

I think I prefer shoujo because I like stories with teenager to young adult characters. (Those characters will keep me feeling youthful ) Also because shoujo cover fantasy genre more than josei. Josei manga somehow tend to be more realistic. The only josei I love are mostly light novels with fantasy genre.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually don't mind either, really. I think josei gives a nice balance combined with shoujo. In shoujo you tend to get the lovey-dovey feeling, working so hard for love and various other things you normally can't do in real life because how reckless it can be. While josei tends to be more realistic, calm, that there's a way out but not the perfect happy ending.

Not that I read lots of josei, really, since I'm the fantasy type, LOL~

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member windy van's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

^^ Oh, i'm totally opposite, i'm not into fantasy for so long..
    I only read a few ongoing fantasy that still ongoing for years or something new that looks promising..
    I always looking for something realistic.. i still 22 though, haha...

As for me, i prefer josei to shoujo..
    I likes something realistic without that naive protagonist..
    Oh well, though i read shoujo more than josei because shoujo had released much more than josei and it's translations available more..
    Josei's stories always deal with another strong plot beside romance, that's what i always search..
    I always dissatisfied with most shoujo's ending, they always stick with their first love no matter what which sometimes pissed me off..
    Though some of shoujo actually better, i will go with josei..

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with windy here. I also have read more shoujo since there is more exposure to shoujo, and even if there are a lot of good ones for shoujo out there, I will still prefer Josei.

Because reading josei requires you to stand from a different viewpoint and you kind of have to set your mind to it while reading. You have more relatable characters, you can empathize with their mindsets more because of the realism.

7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner moniker's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm much more or else into Josei.

Sure I read Shoujo from time to time; though I prefer the realistic approach of Josei. Some Shojo also do have some realistic approach which is one of the reasons I still read Shoujo, nonetheless.

Though some Josei are quite smutty and lacking in-depth story in which saddens me.

But hey, I'm not degrading at some point.

In fact, I do enjoy some Shoujo that are heartfelt and fluffy in occasional circumstances having to enjoy lovely endings.

Another thing, some Seinen tend to have Josei demographics in which deals with real life personal issues and how protagonists' of the story deal with these. Following their progress in a story and growth as a character.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moniker View Post
    Though some Josei are quite smutty and lacking in-depth story in which saddens me.
    That's an interesting statement for me, because in a way, I also think Josei is not as developed as Shoujo. Despite targeted towards adult women, not many josei has deep stories that will attract mature audience. That's also why I prefer shoujo, for the reason your statement that I quoted has explained.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys

I'm kinda new here. I just want to answer (sort of) this question ..
    I used to only like shoujo because it was cute and all . (i was around 16) now i'm deeply a huge fan of josei because i'm a woman you see. I still do like shoujo but less than that time 'cause i've grown (I hope my english is not too bad 'cause i'm french)

If someone do not agree with what i have just said tell me your opinion

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

josei it's the step higher ... we're talking about maturity somehow .. you know in the shoujo it's often a pure love for the first time they're almost not even talking about sexuality ... but in the josei ....

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------
    and what you said it's true the story is not really developed.. that's the only thing that is messing for me....
    Last edited by Sackoyan; March 21, 2014 at 04:34 PM.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sackoyan View Post
    Hi guys

I'm kinda new here. I just want to answer (sort of) this question ..
    I used to only like shoujo because it was cute and all . (i was around 16) now i'm deeply a huge fan of josei because i'm a woman you see. I still do like shoujo but less than that time 'cause i've grown (I hope my english is not too bad 'cause i'm french)

If someone do not agree with what i have just said tell me your opinion

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

josei it's the step higher ... we're talking about maturity somehow .. you know in the shoujo it's often a pure love for the first time they're almost not even talking about sexuality ... but in the josei ....

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------
    and what you said it's true the story is not really developed.. that's the only thing that is messing for me....
    Hi there! Welcome to shoujo and josei, I hope you'll stay around.

I am also a woman but I still like shoujo more than josei, but I guess that's because characters and plot story are the most important things for me. I used to think that shoujo is rather shallow when it comes to romance, but for these past years I've discovered many shoujo with very developed romance so that's also why I stick with shoujo. And I guess I prefer pure love than ... *ehem*.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner hikochan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly prefer josei even though I grew up reading so much shoujo (Arina Tanemura, Youko Maki, Matsuri Hino) because shoujo's too... flowery for me nowadays. I mean, I like flowery stories and all that but it's so cliche nowadays. Love triangles, the girl's insecurity, misunderstandings. I mean, that does happen in josei as well but it mostly depends on how the protagonist reacts to it. In most shoujo I've read, she just retreats to her cocoon and lets that negative feeling fester in her as opposed to most josei protagonists, she just confronts the dude and kicks him in the balls if he was cheating on her. Plus school-settings are really annoying and overdone. Settings for josei manga are mostly outside of school like at a workplace or something. Plus I'm like... 25% into josei because of all the nicely drawn smut lol
    If you love Hyouka (or the Kotenbu light novel series), you should totally try stopping by HSK.
    If you just wanna stalk my translations blog, feel free to drop by here.
    If you wanna stalk me at Tumblr, well, tough luck kid.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Although some school settings can be cultivated properly, like, Karekano. I always loved that series. So poignant and mature, despite its school setting and coming-of-age concept.

New Reply