Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)

View Poll Results: Did you like the ending of GANTZ?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 19.44%
  • No

58 80.56%
New Reply
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Gantz 383 [Final Chapter] Discussion / Future Prediction

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz 383 [Final Chapter] Discussion / Future Prediction

^

I feel like he's leaving his options open. Right at the last second he revives most of the remaining cast? And almost for no reason to since it's not like he revisits that plot point in any way.. There's a lot of cool things he could do in future if he ever gets that itch to return to the series.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    ^

I feel like he's leaving his options open. Right at the last second he revives most of the remaining cast? And almost for no reason to since it's not like he revisits that plot point in any way.. There's a lot of cool things he could do in future if he ever gets that itch to return to the series.
    Its not as though we know for sure that other teams didn't survive. He would be just as well off starting fresh with a new cast as opposed to reusing the characters that weren't developed in the first place.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why I said "leaving his options open." You're absolutely right. He could base a series off of almost any of the new characters he introduced during Katastrophe and I'd probably like it. Kaiji may be the toughest son of a bitch on the team but I'd be equally interested in anything following Hyouma, Ryuji or Toshio.

Wish I could draw lol. Would love to do my own take on the series even if it turned out to be a piece of shit. Sounds like a lot of fun to do.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity llamapie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a fun ride. Okay ending, seemed sort of anti climactic.
    Give the best manga of all time some attention!

# of "Miura will die before Berserk is finished" comments(since Nov. 1st 2008): 96

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member GAT-X252's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz poll

Guys i added a poll, vote if you liked the ending or not.
    Last edited by GAT-X252; June 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM.
    (キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!)

心臓がドキドキドキドキ!!!!

06/25/09 - Goodnight Sweet Prince

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

what the hell, what a lackluster and rushed ending. I want to know, what happens to Nishi and the vampires as well as the eventual endings for the whole Gantz crew, Kaze and his kid etc
    I'm here for the PoT and Gantz.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Otaku400's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

In the last Chapter we saw also this giants mechs.
    maybe in one of them are Nishi?
    I think really Nishi is alive. he is one of the most popular Charas and i am sure when he was dead we have seen his corp.
    Someday a User will appear to save the whole Internet.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Its too hard to say yes on a poll when everything else that surrounds the ending makes you feel otherwise. But I'll say yes anyway to be representative of my conflict. Coming out of the ocean like they did to end it would look pretty darn good on the big screen if done professionally.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

I beg to differ from most of the negative comments here.. I would say that Gantz's ending was not rushed and its ending is what the writer always wanted to bring..

Around 3-4 years ago, i had never read a seinen manga before, so i screened Gantz if it would be up to my taste. So i read some of its first chapter and got dissapointed in how the manga deliver lots of fan service from  nudity to blood splatter gore.. At that time, I put Gantz in my postpone reading list thinking that seinen would be full of crappy fan service..

2 months ago, I started to read Gantz since I got nothing to read.. Turned out unexpected because Gantz is not all about fan service (well the only fan service added are only those partial nudity of female character in the chapter cover).. So I intended to completely read  it and here I am now satisfied with the ending..

I'd say that Gantz mainly focus to how Kei Kurono's personality changes which stayed true throughout the series.. It's all about in a society full of ignorant jerks who always thinking about themself, one of the jerk, Kurono Kei learned how precious life can be from his ex-best friend.. You could follow up on every bit of trace on how Kurono changed..

Onion-Buddha mission -> he showed his his true self of ignorant and become in its peak on Buddha mission while thinking of others as a mere annoyance.. The section was concluded in how he learned about Katou's death. This conclude of this personality..

Chibi-dinosaur mission -> he was forced to be alone and learn the existence of others which helped him in order to survive and also the meaning of love laid by Kojima Tae.. So he started to put belief on people and become the head of tokyo team which mainly teach on how they should learn to appreciate life.

Ring and Tae mission -> mainly deal with internal conflcts.. Even with Kurono becoming the head of the team, it doesnt mean he can change others or the rest of the world ( the jerk) to appreciate others..

Oni missions -> were meant to explain more about gantz world..

Nurahrihyon mission -> make a difference on how someone who appreciate life in the hand of Katou (Kurono's spirit mentor) and those in the Tokyo team who has gone throughout Kurono's teaching

Italian mission and katastrophere -> this what concluded everything, on how the world and alien race have same kind of people who thinks that life of others are only trash.. The American team at the end of the series make a good example of it from torturing and raping the prisoners of war and making fun of em.. Supposedly, the defeated of American team and the rise of Kurono symbolize in difference how a person who appreciate lives can survive.. The plot are also twisted in making what if life is a mere trash can be remade anytime.

So the ending concludes it.. The Journey of Kurono Kei with his spiritual mentor meeting their reason to fight for survival and the sake of others.. While of course the truth is always differs because this is the story of Kurono Kei, not the story of the others.. Kurono Kei is the one who deserve good ending, thinking about the writer who needs to be the jerk itself when making the story and make the hero prominent.. I cant think better ending than that, cant you?
    And this is not a happily ever after ending either, since you cant run from the truth that the life of the others (human) are all trash.. The truth itself is speaking that human can be made anytime.. The world will still be full with jerks from time to time.. Its a very realistic ending..

&&&&&&&

While this is the 1st seinen manga i read, i got the feeling that seinem is into deeper meaning like this instead of rumbling fight 1 vs 1.. So seinen is about how a story to be made, while shounens are how a fight should be made..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AxelCross's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Too late for the poll but I clearly would have voted 'no'. After re-reading the series altogether, I'm less inclined to want to murder the entire universe after reading the ending, but it still really, really pissed me off. Simply because it was so god damn obvious he was rushed, either by himself, a deadline, money, etc. etc. It matters not; he should have done what he needed to do to extend whatever timeline he had set up, re-write the ending to be uniform and complete with no loose ends (as opposed to the dozen plus he has open now) and truly end it.

As Damura said, it almost feels as if he purposefully set it up to be a 'sequel-imposed' ending. Like a movie you go see, and expect it to be standalone, and the movie's ending is so completely, obviously open-ended for the purpose of covering their asses in case the movie succeeds more than they thought so that they can continue the series; but if it flops and it sucks ass, they can leave it. Right now, it's hard to picture this as the true ending to Gantz.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the far (or even near-er than we thought) future Oku decides to either continue the series in a surprise "Gantz Epilogue" series or even a sequel series. It'd be a good alternative to whatever series he is developing in case this new one doesn't take off like Gantz did, but would also leave time to develop his new stuff if the 'new' Gantz isn't going to be a full-blown series. Shit, even a one-shot of 60-pages or so would add SO much. I mean, fucking hell, over half of us EXPECTED this last chapter to be at the very, absolute least of 40-pages, and it was even less than that. I saw some predict 60-plus page chapters for the last couple chapters, and even then, while I didn't expect that, I wouldn't have been surprised.

Alas, the true chapter was the biggest surprise of all. Underwhelming, short, undesirable. It's like if a woman got into bed with a guy that was ripped, 6'5" and then saw he had a 2" penis. That's what I feel like. Or on my end, if I got into bed with a girl who looked as if she had DD's and then I cantaloups fell out of her bra. Wonder where my head is at? ASD;LFIAWPEROUTIHASDFLGNDSFLJKSKJ RARARARARARARAR! Need more Gantz. Fucking cunt.

ED: @Porink: Really? You're truly satisfied? Did you forget about Nishi? Were you satisfied with the 2 panels that were shown of the Vampires making one single, shallow comment about survival as their final, complete ending? How about the Gantz hunters on Earth, the rest of the Tokyo team; were you satisfied with the fact that they weren't even shown at all? The fact that nearly all of the characters had a mere 'implied' good ending, you were okay with all that? It was sloppy, that isn't even subjective, that's a fact. Unless, and please do not take this as an insult to you personally, but unless you're a brain-dead fool, the fact of 'loose-ends' isn't even arguable; there are more loose ends in this story than a frayed rope. It's fucking pathetic. I'm not arguing that your opinion is 'wrong' or anything of the sort, but holy hell, if you're truly, completely satisfied with this ending then I envy you, because those expectations you have are woefully low.

Again, not a bad thing since this ending was completely and utterly unfinished. I mean, if a movie ended the way that Gantz did then the first, initial wave of audiences would boycott it and protest others to not see it. It's completely fucked. Whatevs. Glad you enjoyed, but for as much as I literally worshiped this series, built a lot of my imaginative...'wonderings' around its world...it dick slapped me in the face in the end.

I'll probably continue to read this thread and participate in this sub-forum for as long as it is up...but it was a fun ride up until this hell-ish ending. And not in the way I expected. I doubt many of you remember me, but I started out on this forum as a Naruto-fan, moved onto Seinin, became a MOD/Mangahelper for quite some time, and then became a kind of lurker. All the while I read this forum every single week, sometimes more. I really like this place. But now that my favorite series has ended in a horrible way, I expect my time here to end soon enough; at the very least it'll be much less.

You guys are great though, all the differing opinions, all the expectations and predictions, it was all fun; even with the ending we got, it was still worth it because, hey, it could have been cancelled with the way Japan has set up all these restrictions to mangaka. So I'm glad we could all bitch and moan about something we all steal. BWAHAHAHA! But really, I'll still buy the manga once it's out in America were I live, but it's funny how a lot of people here will never truly support the mangaka and yet will bitch and moan more than anyone else. Heehoo. That's the way it goes, and I imagine that was Oku's aim in this ending, if ever so slight. I'll buy every single volume (I already have 1-18) except the last one. Such will be my own, personal boycott; however useless. Humans are that reflected thought...

/transferjustthearms
    Last edited by AxelCross; July 01, 2013 at 12:05 AM.
    In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade.
    Hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony.

13. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

The ending was far too Kurono-centric imo but that was a very clear decision made by Oku.

You lose a lot of the charm that came from having this ensemble cast where everybody has a story to tell, but you gain the advantage of exploring the main a whole lot deeper, and for better or worse he definitely achieved that with Kei1 + Kei2.

Would have loved to see Oku take the same level of care and apply it to the other characters but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Plus hey, that would have been an extra 2-3 years of content if he had taken the time to do so.. This was a LONG project and I don't blame him for wrapping it up.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well first of all Porink, its not like Nihilism doesn't have its flaws. Everything is made up of matter but there is a clear difference between animate and inanimate. If the heroes has bought into that beings arguments entirely the series would had just ended in that room. What they did get out of the encounter of it may have put a damper on their life somewhat, but honestly they already knew human life could be made out of thin air, thus was the premise of the Gantz ball to begin with.

And Axel, you know one day your grand kids or great grand kids we'll be looking up in your attic after you've done kicked the bucket and Gantz had long since gone out of circulation, and those kids will be so sad that they can't read the ending.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AxelCross's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Me having kids... Now THAT'S a fucked up ending, brudda.

Nah, I'll just write an ending that is equivalent to the beginning in terms of no mercy and all carnage. But then I'll have to take Oku hostage to draw it for me. That's okay. I have A BUTTER KNIFE!
    In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade.
    Hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BrazilianGantzer's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Gantz 383 [Final Chapter] Discussion / Future Prediction

Clear example of "The journey beats the destination", but felt more like I was travelling 13 years to get to a fantastic place where I've always dreamed of going but arriving there and finding a huge crater where the place used to be.

We've had fanastic writing from Gantz up until the Katastrophe, but then it all fell apart. The final chapter was the last straw, though, and all we got was a rushed ending that left too many questions.

It was a good ride and I really enjoyed sharing it all with you, but Oku disappointed me too much. Thank you all for the predictions and all the discussion. You guys made the journey more worthwhile than Oku did.

Damura and GAT-X252 and Angel are the people who I've seen on here the longest. GeorgeMarvin also left a mark when he was here. I'll miss you guys. Hopefully we can continue our discussions, about Gantz or about some other topic.

18. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I read that chapter, then immediately punched myself in the dick. There was more satisfaction in my crippling junk pain than that chapter. That's not hyperbole, it's fact.

New Reply
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast