Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: Did you like the ending of GANTZ?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 19.44%
  • No

58 80.56%
New Reply
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Gantz 383 [Final Chapter] Discussion / Future Prediction

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kaliayev's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz 383 [Final Chapter] Discussion / Future Prediction

Been ages since I've checked this forum. Gantz ended so I decided I should check it out again. Personally, I was very pleased with the overall narrative. Kei2 died in a seemingly meaningless way, but he had finally come to terms with himself and completed his journey by rebelling against the very notion he was convinced was true when his own existence came into conflict with Kei1's. Kei1 and Katou were reunited and brought fantastic closure to their enduring partnership over the course of the manga. I think that a lot of fans lost sight of the manga's ultimate goal: to explore human potential, be that negative or positive, within a terrifying environment that played out brutal, game theory scenarios. We all got attached to certain characters and theories, with some of those getting violently scrapped along the way and thereby increasing our underlying resentment toward the author. However, the manga accomplished what it set out to do and I appreciate the way Oku handled it.

Quote Originally Posted by danteppr View Post
    When I met you, I felt attracted to you. I tried to imagine how it would end, it would have a great story. So the day finally came. I do not know what to say. My heart sank and I wanted to scream, to God and the world:

"What the fuck is this?"

That was when I watched LOST. And now I feel the same way about Gantz. The end came, and I do not know what to say. Honestly, Oku hope someone clap for this chapter? I'm tempted to burn all the volumes I have, knowing how it will be the end. I do not know what to think. I followed Gantz for six years, telling my friends to be one of the best stories I've ever read. How will I face them and say I was wrong?
    Heh, I was thinking about Lost as well when I finished reading the last chapter. However, I thought that Gantz avoided the main pitfall that Lost fell victim to: excessive exploration of a ridiculous mythos to the detriment of its exploration of humanity.

p.s. I noticed some people wondering about Takeshi and the brawlers. They were shown together in the final panel, off to the side. Draw your own conclusions.
    Hello, Dave. Is that you, Dave?

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaliayev View Post
    Heh, I was thinking about Lost as well when I finished reading the last chapter. However, I thought that Gantz avoided the main pitfall that Lost fell victim to: excessive exploration of a ridiculous mythos to the detriment of its exploration of humanity.

p.s. I noticed some people wondering about Takeshi and the brawlers. They were shown together in the final panel, off to the side. Draw your own conclusions.
    Nice spot lol. It is indeed Kaze, Takeshi and Mary. How the fuck they managed to regroup so quickly when Takeshi was asleep on a park bench I don't know, but how cool is that!

I don't think this is anywhere near 'Lost' levels of failure, but they certainly share a bit of anti-climax at the end there. Guess you're going to have problems whenever you ignore plot points or solve them off-screen as we saw with the vampires, the giants, the giant Gantz ball in Germany (did it belong perhaps to the giants? They did have similar uniforms and stuff so maybe that was a nod in that direction?)

As to your other point about what it was Oku was trying to achieve... he did a very good job of fleshing out Kei1, Kei2 and Cherry. Even Nishi though I disagree with his colossal lack of foresight in transferring himself to the mothership without a way home. Everyone else got FUCKED though dude. No foreplay, no lube, nuthin. Not a cool way to treat your cast lol.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah...I wrote a tl;dr post that had perhaps a sophisticated outlook on the ending of the manga. But I took too long and it timed out and I lost the post when I tried to reply. Oh well...guess it's for the better. I kind of expected it to happen >.>
    Anyhoo... yeah

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarbel View Post
    Ah...I wrote a tl;dr post that had perhaps a sophisticated outlook on the ending of the manga. But I took too long and it timed out and I lost the post when I tried to reply. Oh well...guess it's for the better. I kind of expected it to happen >.>
    Anyhoo... yeah
    Thats why you should always right click and copy those types of replies.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just finished reading the final chapter of gantz and I too feel that the end was rushed. I really wish they didnt kill reika off permanently and I wished the other important deceased characters could've been resurrected before the end. (I understand that the deaths of important characters help develop the story but I like happy endings with important characters all alive). Even if the war finished, couldnt other gantz balls still be operational and still working? I also want to know what happened to all the other characters that survived. I pray there is an "epilogue" which could give better closure to this great story.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AxelCross View Post
    ED: @Porink: Really? You're truly satisfied? Did you forget about Nishi? Were you satisfied with the 2 panels that were shown of the Vampires making one single, shallow comment about survival as their final, complete ending? How about the Gantz hunters on Earth, the rest of the Tokyo team; were you satisfied with the fact that they weren't even shown at all? The fact that nearly all of the characters had a mere 'implied' good ending, you were okay with all that? It was sloppy, that isn't even subjective, that's a fact. Unless, and please do not take this as an insult to you personally, but unless you're a brain-dead fool, the fact of 'loose-ends' isn't even arguable; there are more loose ends in this story than a frayed rope. It's fucking pathetic. I'm not arguing that your opinion is 'wrong' or anything of the sort, but holy hell, if you're truly, completely satisfied with this ending then I envy you, because those expectations you have are woefully low.

Again, not a bad thing since this ending was completely and utterly unfinished. I mean, if a movie ended the way that Gantz did then the first, initial wave of audiences would boycott it and protest others to not see it. It's completely fucked. Whatevs. Glad you enjoyed, but for as much as I literally worshiped this series, built a lot of my imaginative...'wonderings' around its world...it dick slapped me in the face in the end.
    Yes, i'm truly satisfied with the ending of the manga, but this would not make Gantz to be my best manga so far. I can only put it as a decent manga.. The satisfaction comes from the ending stay consistent with the whole story itself, apart from other manga that sometimes making a whole load of character flooded in the 30 or so pages chapter ending just to make 1-2 panel apperance to retell on their fate to increase fan's rating based on each character popularity .. I cant put much imaginary stuff on Gantz since matters or not, in survival stuff the characters tend to just die unreasonably.. Well, that's survival all about.. Nishi? He got caught up in the explosion while crying "mama" cant get transfered since the gantz' system which he used earlier got explode as well..

Another point that I like about Gantz would be the love theme which is usually found on shoujo manga (ya know? Like those taeeeee channnn and kei channnnn stuff flooding the chat balloon) that i can enjoy without actually reading shoujo like drawing and girls' daydreaming POV about guys that they love..

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Then you are saying that you like shoujo manga a lot? O_o

Well, Nishi probably will be the hint for an impossible GANTZ 3rd Raid or something similar series, when the "product" Gantz(C) will return famous and marketable... Maybe when the US Movie will be adapted nope? =P

Or what about those Hokuto no Ken spinoff born when the new trilogy came out on the theaters? Something like "Nishi gaiden", "Katou gaiden", "Sniper gaiden" etc.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Coolperson1145's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teioh View Post
    Then you are saying that you like shoujo manga a lot? O_o

Well, Nishi probably will be the hint for an impossible GANTZ 3rd Raid or something similar series, when the "product" Gantz(C) will return famous and marketable... Maybe when the US Movie will be adapted nope? =P

Or what about those Hokuto no Ken spinoff born when the new trilogy came out on the theaters? Something like "Nishi gaiden", "Katou gaiden", "Sniper gaiden" etc.
    US movie? Gantz spinoffs? Where are you getting this information? O_o

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Otaku400's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

For a few Month i have seen a Thread about Gantz US Movies. But i think iits a rumor.
    Someday a User will appear to save the whole Internet.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz 383 [Final Chapter] Spoiler Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by A_N_G_E_L View Post
    If this is real; where is that "orgasm ending" Oku was talking about?
    It was orgasmic, Kurono shot his load into Blondie alien's eye and now we're all in the refractory period where Gantz just looks gross now that we're done with it.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the manga became crap as soon as we got on to the alien spaceship. The ending was w.e for me. I felt like they told Oku that the manga is crap and he has to wrap it up...

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

There were a lot of good ideas for the alien space ship. The slaughterhouse was great, the poisonous bugs, the zoo/Colosseum/flying cars Really loved the idea of the giants hacking into the gantz balls and turning them against the humans.

You also had Cherry and Kei roaming around messing things up. The only time Oku truly fucked it all up was when he used deus ex machinas to wrap up several major story arcs. If he had taken the time to flesh out those stories and conclude them rationally we may have had something approaching greatness on our hands for that final arc.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz had a lot more potential than this. I was hoping it would of turned into an epic like Berserk & we'd wonder if Oku would die before he finished it. The plot drifted off course & eventually got lost. Some parts make me cringe. He had a way of getting my imagination going though. I've often wondered what if things were different. Someday, I may come to terms with Gantz.

"Heh whatever" -Nishi
    7Seeds Best Manga Ever.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ruhina's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if you end up working with the same project for a decade, you inevitable go crazy and start freaking out. In Oku's case, he probably just thought "what the hell?" and went on with whatever he had in mind. The first half of this manga was damn good IMHO, then Catastrophe hit Earth and everything sped up. Anyway, I think I'm going to go back and read the whole manga.

Mind you, I didn't really mind the last part of this manga, I think it was good. However, the finale was... a bit underwhelming.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

if gantz returns i bet it is a side story about the vampires.

In the end, i feel kinda betrayed. A manga in which so much shit happens wraps it up in bsacially one chapter 'oh yeah, evil alien dies, all's fine'.
    If anything, i could have kilved with gantzers and giants defeating the god aliens.

And really, where was sebastian?
    Why even introdue him?
    Why ut so much focus on nishi, with even spin off chapters, when he was doomed to die or at least disappear without explanation offscreen in the end?
    Without even killing tae?
    And let's do not even start about the vampires.

If oku decided to screw good wiritng all over, he could at least have brought izuma and tomb raider girl back (for longer) to please fan demands.
    Or have Hoi Hoi be broght back and eat the god aliens, or whatever.

Last page was kinda nice tho.

New Reply
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast