Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: Did you like the ending of GANTZ?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 19.44%
  • No

58 80.56%
New Reply
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Gantz 383 [Final Chapter] Discussion / Future Prediction

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AxelCross's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz 383 [Final Chapter] Spoiler Discussion Thread

As someone who has read Gantz from the very beginning, and still to this chapter proclaims it to be my favorite series, I was so very disappointed with this chapter. Verily. I mean, I know that I set myself up for disappointment when I thought we'd actually get closure on Nishi, but that whole vampire "conclusion" (two panels....TWO PANELS!?) should have told me all I needed to know. This was without a single doubt the most rushed, anti-climactic ending I have ever experienced. I did not think this would actually come to be, and for that, I know it is my own fault. I expected too much after the evidence clearly pointed to the contrary: Oku was done with this series before it ended. That much is as clear as air now.

Well, at least the damage is over. It can't get any worse unless he continues this shit. When I say 'shit' I still think it's better than most manga, and that's simply because of my capacity for imagination. If I didn't have that...and took everything in this last arc at face value then this chapter would have put Gantz not only off of my favorites but into my shit list. This was an abomination when in comparison to the very clearly inspired, well-written, edge-of-our-seats action we experienced in previous chapters, even up into Katastrophe. But somewhere in this arc he lost all will to write. That is very clear; and honestly I don't blame him for it at all. I would NOT want to do this every single day of my life, non-stop and have these cunty little fans who, for the most part, leach off of his hard work and then demand, demand, demand. In a way, I feel that this was a perfect ending for what humanity deserves; and if that was Oku's intention, I applaud him.

But in the end, I still wish Gantz would continue. The universe, the lore. But if it's going to be this half-assed, sloppy bullshit we got this chapter, then I'm all for it being over. If Oku does indeed plan to come back, as in this is a massive troll and he plans to 'reboot' the series down the line, all the better because it means that there is still 'a plan'. This chapter...at the moment...feels like he literally just pulled it out of his ass. That is an expression that is used far too much by the everyday fan, blinded by fandom and angry over some artistic judgement made by the author; but in this instance...it really rings true. He did not give a shit. Not one bit. It's like someone was holding a gun to his head saying "FINISH THE MANGA OR DIE".

Eh. I have so many mixed feelings over this. I mean, great, we got some closure. But it's like after finally realizing that after years of being in a relationship, one of you realizes that it's over, and one of you makes the descision to end it, but the other, while still realizing and knowing it's futile, wants it to continue. I am on the opposing end of that. I know it's over, I know it's BETTER if it's over, and yet....

Sigh. I'm teary eyed. This has been my universe for so long. Even knowing that it's...well, it's shit now; the majority of this manga still has so many amazing moments and such an awesome lore to it that the good FAR outweighs the bad. There's always a 'but'. ;LAKSDJGPOAEIRHGPQ94TOUA90SPDJAFMOEGASFL;K
    *chugchugchugchugchugchug*
    Here's to you, wondrous sphere of darkness. Your mysteries will expand in my SAD, SAD LITTLE MIND. FUCK.
    Last edited by AxelCross; June 16, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
    In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade.
    Hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member winterwyrm's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

@axel- That's exactly right! He made some money early on in the series and then stopped caring and gave us these quick, cheap CG-drawn ships and monsters, shallow new characters I can't even remember and fights with big sweeping motions so he doesn't have to draw it in detail, as well as poorly thought out, plotlines that are just made really big in scale to keep our attention. We've been with this series for years now, and, well, here's what it feels like to get screwed over and thrown to the curbside like garbage.

He just said "i'll just throw something out there, better than just not finishing it". I've read much better fanfictions tbh.
    Last edited by winterwyrm; June 16, 2013 at 08:51 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member EliteBeatAgents's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by winterwyrm View Post
    @axel- That's exactly right! He made some money early on in the series and then stopped caring and gave us these quick, cheap CG-drawn ships and monsters, shallow new characters I can't even remember and fights with big sweeping motions so he doesn't have to draw it in detail, as well as poorly thought out, plotlines that are just made really big in scale to keep our attention. We've been with this series for years now, and, well, here's what it feels like to get screwed over and thrown to the curbside like garbage.

He just said "i'll just throw something out there, better than just not finishing it". I've read much better fanfictions tbh.
    Well, at least we still have berserk, right?

......right?

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member blennz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

did anyone else see the other people that where killed fighting this giant get transferred out to does this mean they didn't die?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah they're dead.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member blennz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

then what's the point of them being transferred out?

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

oh, sorry, thought you meant the other, other guys.

Everyone on the Tokyo team that tried to hold off Gonde was transferred and therefore is still alive.

The Americans that fought Gonde are all dead.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 102jayday's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EliteBeatAgents View Post
    Well, at least we still have berserk, right?

......right?
    YEAHHHHH! We won't worry about it being finished like gantz because I am sure we all will be reading it in heaven when it's close to finish.
    That and Miura will not drop quality to speed up things.

Yeah the new team got transferred and I am pretty sure they were dead it's just the other people used the ball on them which will bring them back to life because they're nothing but data or w/e those god aliens said.
    Ryuji died in front of Kei you could tell he died. Kaiji was cut in half he definally died.

Manga Berserk, Gantz, Rurouni Kenshin, Claymore<3 Fav Anime FMAB! Gundam seed, Nana, InitialD.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^

Kaiji had been cut literally seconds before Kei defeated Gonde... pretty sure if we tested this out on someone they would remain alive for at least a little while.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the ending obviously doesn't live up to the rest of the story, but I still don't consider the entire manga a waste of time and I will still keep telling people to read it. Sometimes it's more about the journey than about the actual destination.

But damn, the last chapters had been rushed, but this one? it was ultra-rushed

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member anime9999's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The end of an era!!
    I am crying because of this deceiving ending...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member lolnameless's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by winterwyrm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lolnameless View Post
    Mangaka unable to hype things up? How about the readers? What do you expect if you upset the mangaka?
    I am referring to the comments on Amazon, sure, you can rant about anything on the internet but is it too mean to ask mangaka to end his/her manga right now? 51 out of 64 recommends this review. hahaha..
    No, I mean that they are hyping things up and not good at the delivery, and yes, we need to be respectful but that's what he did, he made the series mysterious and foreshadowed big things, then he off-screened everything and just abruptly ended the series after an OK fight with a LOT of loose ends and undeveloped plot points, how could they make the gantz balls without being noticed? Did kaze have a happy ending? Will humaity rebuild? Are there still aliens among everyone? What happened to the german ultimate team? How did the american team do all this? (they're shown to be very small and not have any special weapons). Anyways, can you tell me what that review says? google translate only does so much.
    I don't understand fully either, it rants about when Gantz should have been ended but the title asks him to end it early. One conspiracy theory is that Oku is pissed off by his readers, as soon as the readers are pissed off by Oku, he even drew about how miserable are the posts on 2ch. Anyway, that's something only Oku can answer.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The only good thing about this would be if Oku came out and said: It was more about the characters, their relationships and how they end up, who cares about the big mysteries anyway?

But the readers do care, the character development in the first two arcs went along with the mysteries.

LULZ

Oh well, for Oku it is important that Kei is a hero, Kato is with his brother, and Kei and Tae lived happily ever after.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ruhina's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Kei die at the end? He either fell asleep or actually bought a farm. Would be cool if he died.

Seems like Gonde was actually the support pillar for the ship, not the towers. The moment he died the ship blew up, hah!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

what about nishi....

Look around you carefully. Strain your eyes at the darkness around us... At the darkness around me. You said anywhere but here. This is where, here, at the border. Gathered by the winds. Those who have met their final destiny hanging between jealousy and regret. Those who failed, swept together here. You say it doesnt matter where. If you follow me, this is where you'll go. This is your eden.

New Reply
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast