Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two questions about Nen/Ren

First question is that can Nen and Ren be developed indefinitely over one's lifetime? Can it be improved? My answer (opinion) to this question is yes. Just like muscles can always get stronger so can Nen and Ren. Ren is when you power up your Nen and use it all at once. My second question is about Enhancers and Nen/Ren. My question basically is do Enhancers have stronger Nen and Ren than other types? Let's say two twin siblings were born. They both have the same talents and abilities and genetic make up but different Nen types. One is an Enhancer and the other is a Manipulator. They both develop their Nen/Ren the same. Does this mean that the Enhancer will have nearly twice as high Nen/Ren energy than the Manipulator? I think the answer to this is yes because Nen/Ren is your offense, defense and healing which Enhancers have more of. In hand-to-hand combat the higher Ren wins and so Enhancers have the advantage. But others have tricks and special abilities even if their hand-to-hand abilities aren't so good. The Enhancer should try to get close and fight while others should use their tricks and abilities to take advantage. Or will their Nen/Ren aura energy be the same but when it comes to attacking,defending and healing the Enhancer will be twice as better at it?
    Last edited by ssunlimited; June 09, 2013 at 10:13 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

First off, Ren is one of the four main principles of Nen. So most of what you said in your post is somewhat incorrect.

Now, Wing confirmed that Ren can be improved, so that's one question.

Do Enhancers have a stronger Ren than other groups ? No. It depends on their training and how far they are in using Nen. Ren isn't your offense, it's you unleashing your Aura in it's strongest form.

If you want to know more, read here.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Thank you for your answer. So Ren is unleashing aura. So then you turn Ren into your offense and defense it seems and Enhancers are best at that, right?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssunlimited View Post
    Ok. Thank you for your answer. So Ren is unleashing aura. So then you turn Ren into your offense and defense it seems and Enhancers are best at that, right?
    I can recommend you to read Hunter X Hunter from chapter 46 onwards. There ou will find all the informations you want.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BurnSchulz View Post
    I can recommend you to read Hunter X Hunter from chapter 46 onwards. There ou will find all the informations you want.
    The manga has more information than the anime? I watched the whole 1999 version several times.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Aura power peaks around whatever is considered prime for HXH characters (Zeno, for example, is definitely past his prime) and then it declines, so no it absolutely cannot be developed over your life time because old age more than cancels out any improvement you can do. Netero flat out said he is only about 50% at his current age compared to his prime. This is not a series where the older you are the more powerful you are. Netero in his prime would absolutely wipe the floor with the current version of himself and it won't even be close. Maybe the younger version would have slightly less experienced but it doesn't matter when you have double the aura output compared to his older self.

When people like Wing talking about taking an entire lifetime to develop your abilities, he's talking about the normal folks who probably would need ten years just to learn how to project a small shock via aura, as opposed to one month like Killua. These guys might be able to learn throughout their life but that's only because they improve slowly. For the talented people like Netero or Killua, they clearly will learn everything they can ever learn by the time their hit their prime (looks like 20-50 in HXH terms) and then they'll only go downhill from there because their body atrophies from old age.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just don't understand this. Ren is where you output all your aura. I thought outputting aura strangthens your offense and defense and so it enhances you. But it seems you need to turn your Ren into your body to enhance yourself like an Enhancer.

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I just don't understand this. Ren is where you output all your aura. I thought outputting aura strangthens your offense and defense and so it enhances you. But it seems you need to turn your Ren into your body to enhance yourself like an Enhancer.
    It does strengthen your offense. As explained here : http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Nen#Ren

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Defense too. But how does that working for enhancing yourself? The thing is, I'm making a game and I need to know how it works. Should I make a person do Ren then enhance yourself? Or just do Ren?
    Last edited by ssunlimited; June 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM.

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Using Ren should automatically enhance their power and durability, because a huge amount of Aura is surrounding their body. If you're talking about enhancing particular parts then Gyo is meant to do that. Gyo focuses more Aura than usual into whatever part of the body you desire, making that part much more powerful but leaves the rest of the body unguarded. Ryu is also a better use of Gyo. You can read about it in the wiki link up there.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Defense too. But how does that working for enhancing yourself? The thing is, I'm making a game and I need to know how it works. Should I make a person do Ren then enhance yourself? Or just do Ren?
    For defense you use "Ken"
    The other (better) thing you can do for Defense is "Kou" but Kou can also (mainly) be used as Offense. It focuses your aura.
    Spoiler show

For this i can reccomend you to read 141 and onwards.

All you're talking about is basics. Every Nen user knows the basics and can be very good at them.
    But especially when it comes to the Special Techinque (Hatsu) every type has its pros and cons.
    Use Kastro as an example (Chapter 51 and onwards) He was a Reinforcer, but he uses a Technique wich is mainly based on manipulating and conjuring.
    So he had a big disadvantage against Hisoka.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just thought that Ren automatically enhances you so the Enhancer has stronger Ren than other types. Gyo is Ren focused on a body part more than other parts. Ryu is adjusting Ren around body parts, it is Gyo in certain parts and less Gyo in other parts. So I'm confused where enhancing comes, I thought it came automatically when you used Ren.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The amount you can strengthen yourself is modified by how close you're to the Reinforcement school, though this concept is rarely enforced simply because otherwise a Reinforcement user can pretty much just punch anyone who is more than 2 schools away to death and that'd be extremely lame.

By the way, although Togashi tried to make Kastro look like an example of someone picked poorly, if he was actually trying to kill Hisoka, Hisoka would've already died because if you can chop an arm off someone who was caught off guard you can say snap his neck too. Kastro's problem was that he picked an ability that basically has to do a one-hit kill except he has no intention of actually killing Hisoka (he's only interested in beating him).

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Honestly HXH's fighting system is extremely broken especially if you apply the fact that HXH's characters are supposed to be relatively intelligent. In such a world, any fight against an Emission user would look like a character that cannot throw fireball versus a Ryu type character where you just get pinned in a corner by Hadokens, because that'd be the optimal strategy for an Emission user (and the Emission user would probably be walking backwards while throwing his aura blasts). Any Reinforcement user would simply punch his opponent to death and anyone who is more than 2 schools away from Reinforcement doesn't even have a chance of winning if both have the same base stats. In fact, if you're not Emission, Reinforcement, or Transformation you should just jump off a cliff as soon as the fight starts and save the embarssment. You'd also start every fight wearing an oxygen tank and start throwing poison gas grenades and in general things would be incredibly stupid if people were actually fighting like they're supposed to.

So in the end in HXH characters miraculously all have almost the same total strength (physical + aura) so that Reinforcement user can't just do the equivalent of 'chipping damage' in a fighting game. That is, by definition if you're not a Reinforcement user you got to take some damage even if he does a totally safe attack and if he is patient enough it'll eventually be enough to whittle your health down to 0, and you have absolutely no way to counter it unless you just immediately go all-in with your special ability, but since the Reinforcement user is using an ultra-safe move to attack your special ability almost certainly won't work. Note that this is actually how Ubogin fights. He kept his power at below 50% versus Kurapika so that he has enough in reserve to react to any special abilities, and if not for the fact that Kurapika's special ability is Emperor Time, it'd have worked just fine, as there's no way a Materialization user could possibly block 50% of Ubogin's power without taking damage, so he can just slowly wear his opponent down.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

But thats how it works. No other type of Nen user can, if Same Nen Level and Same Physical Strengh, Block a Punch from Reinforcement Type, without getting heavy damage.
    But if an other type of nen user has double the ammount of Nen, he will overcome the reinforcement type.
    Most of the Calculation examples are based on the same Nen level and Body Strengh.

Even though Kurapika as Special Type with Scarlet eyes mode, had his arm broken after Uborgin hit him with 100% because Uborgin has higher body strengh and Nen level. Kurapika even pushed his Nen beyond imagination with his Rule that he only uses his main ability (the nen draining chain) against the Phantom Brigade.

That was well explained in the yorkshin arc. If your Nen is not high enough you can literally multiply the effect by setting Rules and conditions for your ability.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes looks like Kurapika had these things:

1) Emperor Time causing 100% Enhancement
    2) Rules to strengthen Nen
    3) High Nen aura level
    4) Talent

But he doesn't look like a strong physical type.
    Last edited by ssunlimited; June 11, 2013 at 01:21 PM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast