Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 597 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 158

Thread: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

  1. #61
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    While strength is not an inherent property of any school you can be pretty sure that arm wrestling strength chart for the Spiders is certainly the ranking when everyone is using aura. With the exception of Kuroro (Specialization) and Nobunaga (Reinforcement) the chart falls neatly into exactly each person's relative position to the Reinforcement school. Unless a person is especially physically strong or weak, you can't get around this limitation by just training harder. If you use Ubogin versus Kurapika, assuming both have same base physical stats (if anything, after seeing the Kurta tribe heritage you can argue Kurapika may have better physical stats), so you got Ubogin using Big Bang (100% level, 100% strength) versus Kurapika defending with Emperor time (60% of level, 100% strength) and the result is that Kurapika broke his arm while defending. Now, assuming level and strength is linear, then 60%level * 100% strength (60) is basically the same as 80% level * 80% strength (64). This basically means there's no way to defend against a Reinforcement user's Hatsu without taking significant damage if you're not one. Gon's Jajaken is another perfect example of this, as it's never been defended successfully by any human character except Razor (indirectly), who is way more powerful than Gon.

    Now let's say you got Feitan or Hisoka fighting Ubogin. Because Ubogin has the highest physical attack and defense in his tier, there's nothing clever you can do damage-wise to get around that. There's basically no chance you'll beat him without Hatsu. Despite the portrayal of Reinforcement users as more or less braindead, that's simply a plot device. Again people are really misled by Gon's ability to figure out the opponent's ability. It only works because he's never going to die so he has all the time in the world to figure this stuff out. This isn't Bleach when your opponent gives you a nice overview of exactly what his ability does so you'll know exactly what to do. Unlike Bleach or similar manga, aura doesn't really do anything super amazing. You're not going to hit someone and then that say: "My ability reflects 100% of damage back to user and now you're dead!" (note: Pain Packer sort of does this but is extremely delayed). Even hax abilities in HXH aren't that hax compared to most manga, so you don't have to worry about anything that crazy. In the above hypothetical matchup, either someone like Hisoka will be forced to use Hatsu first while Ubogin is still in an unharmed state (because you're not going to hurt him with basic moves), or you'll be receiving a Big Bang while you're in a vulnerable state (Ubogin gains an upper hand with basic moves and attempt to finish you off in one hit). Both are very bad situations to be in. Sure you can strategize about faking a weakness or whatever, but it doesn't change the fact that you're always operating from a disadvantageous position and that there's no reason to believe the Reinforcement user is supposed to be less experienced or dumber than you when it's not demanded by the plot.

    If the Reinforcement user's Hatsu can at least break your arm, he can be pretty sure that's got to be a decent trade unless his opponent has an absolutely crazy ability, and it's not really possible to try to figure out abilities on par with Emperor Time. Also, it's implied using any ability requires significant concentration and you've to be in a good state generally. So if you break someone's arm, their ability to retaliate is limited not only physically but also mentally due to the trauma/pain. I mean the two major battle where a Reinforcement is bested (Kastro and Ubogin) basically all involve the two said users apparently never heard that keeping Gyo on is a good idea. If they took Biscuit's aura 101 class then Hisoka would already be dead, and Kurapika might be too, though he might be able to manage since Emperor Time is still totally broken.
    Last edited by Phantron; July 05, 2013 at 12:55 PM.

  2. #62
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    If the chart includes nen then things get particularly muddled up though. Nen would to begin with enhance physical strength so physical strength would have a huge role and the size of ren or ken would also determine who wins at large.

    On the whole thing about defending from either uvo's or gon's attack, I completely agree with you. If anything I talked about that earlier in pretty much the same way you did. However the fact of the matter is that the whole thing is not nearly as much of a limitation as you think. It is true it is basically impossible to defend from an enhanced attack without taking damage however on the other hand there are plenty of things to offset that so as to not make it even remotely as invincible as you say. For starters a ko from an enhancer does leave the user exposed as ko invariably requires all the aura, no more no less. For another, ko would at large work as an ordinary attack. Therefore it can be dodged as an ordinary attack. Gon has generally been extremely careful about using his rock for a reason, it is a great power but it is also a huge liability for him. Uvo would have had precisely the same issue invariably. Overall simple enhances attacks are powerful but they are far from invincible as ultimately others would have their own hatsu to respond with.

    As far as the mental state thing that is to begin with a highly variable situation between fighters. In an extreme case mentally breaking them down is not an option (hisoka did not break down after loosing two arms). Generally It takes quite a shock to actually get a fully trained nen user to this state though.

  3. #63
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    If the chart includes nen then things get particularly muddled up though. Nen would to begin with enhance physical strength so physical strength would have a huge role and the size of ren or ken would also determine who wins at large.

    On the whole thing about defending from either uvo's or gon's attack, I completely agree with you. If anything I talked about that earlier in pretty much the same way you did. However the fact of the matter is that the whole thing is not nearly as much of a limitation as you think. It is true it is basically impossible to defend from an enhanced attack without taking damage however on the other hand there are plenty of things to offset that so as to not make it even remotely as invincible as you say. For starters a ko from an enhancer does leave the user exposed as ko invariably requires all the aura, no more no less. For another, ko would at large work as an ordinary attack. Therefore it can be dodged as an ordinary attack. Gon has generally been extremely careful about using his rock for a reason, it is a great power but it is also a huge liability for him. Uvo would have had precisely the same issue invariably. Overall simple enhances attacks are powerful but they are far from invincible as ultimately others would have their own hatsu to respond with.

    As far as the mental state thing that is to begin with a highly variable situation between fighters. In an extreme case mentally breaking them down is not an option (hisoka did not break down after loosing two arms). Generally It takes quite a shock to actually get a fully trained nen user to this state though.
    When Shizuku arm wrestled against Gon, it was shown that one of the two used aura. I don't see that being Gon because he obviously has no idea that his opponent is supposed to be very strong, so it'd have to be Shizuku. By that token you'd assume everyone in the organization uses aura while arm wrestling.

    For defending against Ko-like attacks, there's no reason that Reinforcement users are extra stupid. When Ubogin used his Big Bang, he created a diversion first to ensure that it'll connect. Now what if Kurapika saw through it and just back off to a safe distance? Then Ubogin wouldn't use his Big Bang either. The Reinforcement user always gets to dictate the tempo against an equal tier non Reinforcement user. They'll either use their Hatsu when they perceive to have a very good advantage, or they'd be able to simply use Ken and force the enemy to use Hatsu first by wearing them down. Sure you can still lose but it's as big an advantage as you can expect fighting an equal tier opponent. If Ubogin didn't magically forget to use Gyo (an unbelievably newbie mistake), then what'd happen is he'd obviously dodge the Chain Jail counter attack. Kurapika might still fix his arm anyway (though he might not have the opportunity to), but you'd assume the energy used in Big Bang has to be less than the energy needed to fix your arm. If that's not true there's no way you can win anyway. Now Emperor Time is pretty hax so Kurapika might still win in the long run, but in that particular exchange Ubogin is not going to come out behind if he didn't somehow forget to use Gyo.

    I think whether you can use your ability depends on the complexity of the ability too. For example Hisoka says Kastro cannot use his clone ability while he's already injuried because that ability requires significant conconcentration. Likewise we see that Gon's Jajaken dissapiates in power if someone hit him in the middle of charging up. Hisoka's ability is pretty weak so he can probably always keep his concentration even while sustaining serious damage, but there's plenty of evidence that hard hitting abilities pretty much cannot be interrupted.

    Let's say that Ubogin was fighting Kuroro, who just teleported Ubogin away as he charges up with a Big Bang and then stab him with a poisoned knife and killed him. So you say you shouldn't attack someone until you figured out their ability, but how do you figure this ability out? He sure wasn't able to use it against Silva when Silva attempted to finish him off, so there's also some restriction to that ability that we do not know of. If your opponent has an instant kill ability you're not going to be able to 'figure it out' anyway, and anything less than instant kill you might as well trade hits and just hope it's in your favor, which it should be because Reinforcement has the highest physical attack/defense by definition. Ubogin didn't just use Big Bang whenever he feels like it. He uses it when he's pretty sure it will finish the enemy off. He can be wrong but there's no reason to believe his judgment is especially bad. Even Kastro gets this simple concept as you can see both time when he went all out he went for an arm. If he didn't also failed to use Gyo like Ubogin, he'd easily see through Hisoka's tricks and really, how is Hisoka supposed to come back from both arms down just because he's got some aura sticking on Kastro's chin? Remember Kastro is likely physically stronger (due to being Reinforcement) so he can just grab the bungee gum and break it by force.
    Last edited by Phantron; July 05, 2013 at 07:51 PM.

  4. #64
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Yupi's shapeshifting abilities can only be Manipulation. Transmutation allows you to change the properties of your aura, not to transform any physical object. Yupi manipulates his own body, just like Illumi does with his needles.
    No thats not right. Gon and Biscuit both used transmutation to transform their bodies. Yupi obviously did the same thing. Manipulation is using your aura to control things outside your body like other objects. Trasmutation manipulates your own aura and body and changes its properties.

    ---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Silva is transformation but Kuroro is specialization which means Silva is 2 schools above him in terms of physical damage (1 away from Reinforcement versus 3). Kuroro already says he can't guard Zeno's emission attacks directly (which is 2 away from his school) so of course he can't guard Silva's direct attack either (1 away from Reinforcment, and presumably Silva is the stronger of the two).

    Knuckles's ability is pretty much useless fighting an identical physical stat Reinforcement user since he'd never come out ahead. The reason why his tactic works is that he has very high base stats and especially high speed. Likewise someone like Hisoka or Ilumi is especially strong physicaly compared to people in the same age group, which is why you can't say for sure if Ubogin will definitely be able to beat either of the two. It's because Reinforcement users are pretty much invinicible on an even fight that so far we see their opponents all tend to be guy who are especially physically strong (Gon versus anyone) or have especially hax abilities (Ubogin versus Kurapika). Ubogin might be the physically strongest person in the Spiders, but that ranking obviously accounts for their aura. If Ubogin has to fight Hisoka in a hypothetical perma Zetsu zone, there's no reason to believe Hisoka would lose. It'd probably look exactly like Kurapika versus Hisoka on the Hunter exam (presumably that was a no aura fight).

    Shizuku's ability is very weak because if you're able to inflict bleeding wounds on the enemy with an object then the old poisoned weapon approach would've definitely killed your opponent unless your opponent is someone with the rare poison resistance property. Even working together with a friend, it's pretty useless because whatever ally that inflicted the said wound could've been using poisoned weapon too. Generally speaking anything that relies on debiliating the enemy in HXH is a bad idea. Killua can shock his opponent, or you can just buy a taser and do the same thing that'd require an unbelievably amount of talent to pull off.
    Ok first off Zeno doesn't use emission he uses transmutation. Everybody in the zoldyck family with white hair is transmuter, everybody with black hair is manipluator (except for Alluka but close enough). Second off just bcuz Silva is a transmuter does not mean he is physically stronger than Chrollo. Thats like saying he is also stronger than Pitou bcuz he is also a specialist. Hatsu types have nothing to do with things like strength unless you have an enhancement hatsu that makes you stronger and of course that would be most efficiently used by enhancers making them the most effective fighters usually. But still we have no idea if Silva or Chrollo have an enhancement hatsu or how strong it would be so you can't make that assumption based on nothing.

    Also I don't understand why your saying Knuckles ability is useless against an enhancement user. Theirs no reason to think that any enhancement user can beat Knuckles just bcuz they are an enhancer. Knuckles ability is way more complex to just automatically lose to all enhancers. There are so many different factors in a fight with him like aura control, speed, power, durability, etc. Its not as easy as just saying oh well I'm an enhancer so that means i get an auto-win. Nen is way more complex than that.

    ---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mousiehamster View Post
    Gon's "transformation" was specialization nen for sure, not enhancement.

    Reinforcement users get pwned by "creative" moves. The invincible Uvogin got his hand pierced by crappy quills (nen manipulated hair) from one of the Injyuu. Nobunaga was shrunk to the size of ant. Good luck figuring out what your opponent's abilities are. But it is exceedingly obvious if your opponent is an enhancer, and you can more or less bank on them having simple close up abilities. It doesn't even so follow that enhancers have the greatest attacking ability compared to other schools. Killua probably has greater attacking power and speed than Gon with transmutation because of his hatsu.

    Shizuku's ability is retarded because it cannot suck living things but apparently blood is exempt. Surely she should've just sucked the balls out of the ant's ballsacks right from the beginning? Why not suck out all the web from the ant's abdomen? Or the ant's eyeballs?

    I agree that poison is kind of retarded, however. Hopefully there'll be a general poison immunity serum sometime soon which only the deadliest toxins are able to bypass i.e. the gunk from the Benz knife.
    It was transmutation obviously. Even Killua commented on how is was similar to Biscuit's transformation.

    ---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    for enhancer:
    KO= entire aura + physical strength + determination boost
    For non enhancer
    KO= 80% (or less) of aura + physical strength


    Now, lets assume we have gon's stats for each one except for the enhancement type for the second. Since physical strength is the same we can ignore it at large as they would cancel each other out. So we have

    1.- KO = 1800 + 200= 2000
    2.- KO = 1440
    Ko has nothing to do with enhancement. Any user that uses Ko puts 100% aura into a certain spot not just enhancers. Enhancement comes in when you actually concentrate that aura inside of a certain object instead of just putting your aura around it like you do with Gyo, Ko, or Shu. And of course enhancers do that the best and thats where they have their advantage. But still if someone's aura and ryu were strong enough it wouldn't matter if the other person used enhancement bcuz they would be too strong for them to hurt. Like for example if base Gon would have hit Pitou with a rock it pretty much wouldn't do any damage bcuz of how strong Pitou's aura (and in turn durability) is, and how quick his reaction and aura control is.

    ---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    While strength is not an inherent property of any school you can be pretty sure that arm wrestling strength chart for the Spiders is certainly the ranking when everyone is using aura. With the exception of Kuroro (Specialization) and Nobunaga (Reinforcement) the chart falls neatly into exactly each person's relative position to the Reinforcement school. Unless a person is especially physically strong or weak, you can't get around this limitation by just training harder. If you use Ubogin versus Kurapika, assuming both have same base physical stats (if anything, after seeing the Kurta tribe heritage you can argue Kurapika may have better physical stats), so you got Ubogin using Big Bang (100% level, 100% strength) versus Kurapika defending with Emperor time (60% of level, 100% strength) and the result is that Kurapika broke his arm while defending. Now, assuming level and strength is linear, then 60%level * 100% strength (60) is basically the same as 80% level * 80% strength (64). This basically means there's no way to defend against a Reinforcement user's Hatsu without taking significant damage if you're not one. Gon's Jajaken is another perfect example of this, as it's never been defended successfully by any human character except Razor (indirectly), who is way more powerful than Gon.
    Ok where are u ppl coming up with this stuff? Kurapika never used enhancement the entire fight except for when he healed himself with the healing chain and hit Uvo with his nen enhanced fist once he caught him. Kurapika blocked Uvo's BBI with Gyo. How much Gyo we don't know but he did not use an enhancement hatsu. All this proves is that Kurapika's aura is very strong and he is an incredible nen user seeing how he new all the basic techniques, was capable and knew the basics of nen combat (i.e. ken, gyo, and ryu), and was an In master b4 Gon and Killua even started learning the combat techniques.

    The hatsu percentages have nothing to do with combat. They are just indicators of how efficient your nen usage can be in each category. I made a theory about it on this forum here.

  5. #65
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    Quote Quote:
    Ko has nothing to do with enhancement. Any user that uses Ko puts 100% aura into a certain spot not just enhancers. Enhancement comes in when you actually concentrate that aura inside of a certain object instead of just putting your aura around it like you do with Gyo, Ko, or Shu. And of course enhancers do that the best and thats where they have their advantage. But still if someone's aura and ryu were strong enough it wouldn't matter if the other person used enhancement bcuz they would be too strong for them to hurt. Like for example if base Gon would have hit Pitou with a rock it pretty much wouldn't do any damage bcuz of how strong Pitou's aura (and in turn durability) is, and how quick his reaction and aura control is.
    That seems a bit far from the concensus here so far. Overall nothing in the manga actually suggests rock or uvo's big bang punch are in any discernible way different from just ordinary ko. Overall the definitions of their techniques are the precise definition of ko.

  6. #66
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    Why do people always bring the old 'Aura is complicated', which is basically means 'plot device trumps actual system'? There's nothing complicated about aura relative to combat. The school ranking is strictly Reinforcement >> Emission >> everything else. There's no inherent equality amongst the schools because the aura system is a system of the world, not a system of combat. The world of HXH is not just about fighting. Even in the Hunter's Association we see plenty of political intrigue and subterfuge. Reinforcement wouldn't do much good at getting you more votes in the Election Arc, and no one should be surprised by that. If you need a plastic surgery you wouldn't get much help from Reinforcement either. The attacks by powerful characters are weighted toward Reinforcement and Emission because they're the most effective kind of attacks. That's why Zeno, a Transformation user, uses mostly Emission attacks because throwing fireballs at people from range is a very effective way to kill someone safely. Just because Hisoka gets pretty much unlimited plot bailout to justify that bubble gum is an awesome killing power doesn't mean the other characters in HXH gets the same treatment.

    Now if the story shifted to Miluki's quest to become the king of the gaming world where the ability to use aura to control your online avatar via manipulation is paramount, that probably wouldn't sell very well. But in the world of HXH, being the king of the gaming world can be just as important as fighting lawbreaking criminals. The world is not supposed to be focus just on fighting. The aura system is a system of the world. If you're a Reinforcement you're very powerful at certain kind of tasks you'd be expected to do in the world of HXH (like fighting) but not on other things (like using a computer), and we can see that in HXH that you're not inherently more valuable just because you can smash walls compared to someone who can hack into a network.

  7. #67
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    Well, the only actual emission attack zeno has used is the one he used to destroy the kings palace a while back. What he did against kuroro is not actually emission as far as we saw. Technically speaking emission is about separating aura from your body and having it maintain its strength. Zeno never did loose contact with his aura, he was connected to it all along and controlled it with his hand movements.

    The whole thing about unlimited plot bailout makes no sense. You are basically using that at your own convenience to just discredit anything we see from the guy. Ultimately the fact of the matter is that combat in HH does not turn around enhancers, all schools are ultimately effective at combat.

  8. #68
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Country
    France
    Age
    18
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    Quote Originally Posted by tupadre97 View Post
    No thats not right. Gon and Biscuit both used transmutation to transform their bodies. Yupi obviously did the same thing. Manipulation is using your aura to control things outside your body like other objects. Trasmutation manipulates your own aura and body and changes its properties.
    When Wing explained Transmutation to Gon, Killua and Zushi, he said it allowed you to change the properties of your aura. He never stated anything about bodies, so Transmutation doesn't allow you to transform your body. However, Manipulation allows you to "manipulate living or non-living objects". Which means a Manipulator can use his Nen on his own body to "manipulate" it and change it's shape. We don't know Biscuit's Nen type, but she obviously uses Manipulation to look like a young girl. When she wants to return to her real form, she simply disengages her ability.

  9. #69
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    303
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    Quote Originally Posted by tupadre97 View Post



    It was transmutation obviously. Even Killua commented on how is was similar to Biscuit's transformation.
    Can't be. Not only did he grow into an adult what came with it was a massive increase in experience, Nen and skill. Basically, it was his talent fully honed and expressed. Transformation doesn't even change things, it changes Nen, but even assuming it can change people, it sure as hell can't look into the future. Abilities that have seemingly magical effects (such as fortune telling, wish granting etc.) are obviously within the realm of Specialization.

    Biscuit's "transformation" does not look into the future. Big Biscuit is her original form, she just shrunk herself with manipulation ala Illumi changing his body shape and face to Hisoka's during York Shin.



    Quote Quote:
    Ko has nothing to do with enhancement. Any user that uses Ko puts 100% aura into a certain spot not just enhancers. Enhancement comes in when you actually concentrate that aura inside of a certain object instead of just putting your aura around it like you do with Gyo, Ko, or Shu. And of course enhancers do that the best and thats where they have their advantage. But still if someone's aura and ryu were strong enough it wouldn't matter if the other person used enhancement bcuz they would be too strong for them to hurt. Like for example if base Gon would have hit Pitou with a rock it pretty much wouldn't do any damage bcuz of how strong Pitou's aura (and in turn durability) is, and how quick his reaction and aura control is.
    Inside a certain object? That would be Shu. Are you saying Enhancers only have an edge when they use weapons? That can't be right. In Heaven's Arena, Hisoka praised the durability of Gon's Ten, remarking that he could see why he was an Enhancer. Seems to me that this implies that Enhancers have stronger Ten, Gyo, Ken, etc. Of course, the schools aside, there are still individual differences.

    Quote Quote:
    Ok where are u ppl coming up with this stuff? Kurapika never used enhancement the entire fight except for when he healed himself with the healing chain and hit Uvo with his nen enhanced fist once he caught him. Kurapika blocked Uvo's BBI with Gyo. How much Gyo we don't know but he did not use an enhancement hatsu. All this proves is that Kurapika's aura is very strong and he is an incredible nen user seeing how he new all the basic techniques, was capable and knew the basics of nen combat (i.e. ken, gyo, and ryu), and was an In master b4 Gon and Killua even started learning the combat techniques.

    The hatsu percentages have nothing to do with combat. They are just indicators of how efficient your nen usage can be in each category. I made a theory about it on this forum here.
    Wing even said that an Enhancer doesn't need a specialty technique (hatsu) - they can just focus on their aura. But if reinforcement confers no advantage to the basic usage of aura in combat, then what the hell was Wing talking about? And Enhancers would be seriously screwed since they would be useless at everything other than healing.

  10. #70
    Banned 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Country
    Venezuela
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post

    Enhancers don't innately have a stronger aura than their enemies, they are simply able to use simple techniques to their fullest and beyond. Take gon's rock. His ko (aka rock) is made out of the entirety of his ken concentrated into his fist. Being an enhancer he does not loose any aura doing this. On top of that he gets an extra boost due to his determination and whatnot. Knuckle made the point that gon's ken had around 1800 aura and when he used rock it went beyond 2000. That alone has the implication that he can attack at well over 110% so to speak. If killua tried this and his ken was just about as strong as gon's (which seems to be the case) then he would have to suffer the consequences of not being an enhancer when using it. If we take the hatsu chart to heart the situation would be that killua's ko would not even be 1800 but rather it would be in the range of 1600. Even if he defended he would still take significant damage at least. That however would only work when enhancement comes into play. Defense from gon's rock is either impossible or too much of a risk for killua however when it comes to basic combat neither would have an edge or disadvantage due to their nen type. The entirety of what we have seen of nen combat relies on the assumption that the basics of nen combat work just as well for everyone, its only special techniques which differ.
    hi gon's rock is a hatsu not a ko ... that's why it's so strong...
    because he imposed the condition of no defence while charging it. That way his rock has incredible power.

    something like kurapika and his heart chain but in a more lower level.

  11. #71
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    France
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    Quote Originally Posted by kenosecon View Post
    hi gon's rock is a hatsu not a ko ... that's why it's so strong...
    because he imposed the condition of no defence while charging it. That way his rock has incredible power.

    something like kurapika and his heart chain but in a more lower level.
    For Enhancers, Ko is their Hatsu, Gon doesn't need to impose a condition. Ko is the same for every Nen categories but it's stronger with Enhancers.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

  12. #72
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    http://www.mangareader.net/207-14150...apter-141.html

    This is as simple as it gets on the matter. Bisk specifically calls what will eventually be gon's rock ko. Hatsu has the benefit of really being just about anything the user specializes in....

  13. #73
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    People are too fixiated on explictly imposed conditions. The world of HXH rewards you for any implicit condition as well. For example Franklin cut off his fingers to do his aura machine gun. It's specifically said that he did NOT thought of this as a condition to power himself up, but just something he thought was right. This nevertheless gave him an extra power boost because it shows his resolve (cut off your own fingers). Kite's Hatus has its power boosted by the fact that the choice is random. It doesn't matter if he thought of it as an explicit condition or that he just thought having a random ability is cool. Aura is all-knowing and you can't cheat it, and it also doesn't forget to reward you if you meet the right criterias.

    Likewise Ko has a ton of resolve and restriction. You basically die if you get hit while you're using Ko except for the one spot you put your aura in, and you also die if you get hit for a short period after you use it (it's clear your aura cannot regenerate instantly after using Ko). If not for plot immunity both Gon and Feitan would be totally dead from the risk you must take. We know Zetsu against any amount of aura is basically suicide, so Zanza's emission attack should've just made a hole in Feitan's upper body and killing him. Likewise when Gon got knocked back by Razor's ball, what should've happened is the his lower body is unprotected by aura and the sheer force would separate his upper body from his lower body and he'd be dead. The only reason this didn't happen is because the plot prevents this from happening. If you go by the definition of Zetsu, there's no way a part of you in Zetsu can possibly defend against any kind of aura-based attack. Outside of Gon literally throwing his life away regardless of what happens in the fight against Pitou, none of the so-called 'restriction' is comparable to the risk one must take to use Ko. Ko is the ultimate Reinforcement Hatsu. Its destuctive power is absolutely unrivaled.

    Now why do Reinforcement users have other Hatsu besides Ko? Because the risk of Ko is extremely high to the point it's not practical use without plot immunity. If the enemy dodges it, you're dead. If they didn't instantly die after taking your Ko, you're dead. If they hit you anywhere while you're attacking, you're dead. From Biscuit's training we can see that Ko has a rather distinctive give-away, which means if the enemy sees you use Ko, they can immediately do some kind of area effect attack and generally at least get a double KO, and a free kill if they managed to hit you first.

  14. #74
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    303
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    But for Gon, janken is surely more meaningful conceptually and psychologically to him than Ko. Same with Franklin. This is something absent from the raw manipulation of aura although it may very well happen to inherit meaning of its own i.e. Uvogin's Big Bang Impact which is presumably just Ko. This is added to the fact that the user typically elects to use Ko in circumstances when he feels that he is absolutely certain to score a direct hit (c.f. Gon) reducing the risk-reward-dynamic/resolve.

  15. #75
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have two questions about Nen/Ren

    Quote Originally Posted by mousiehamster View Post
    But for Gon, janken is surely more meaningful conceptually and psychologically to him than Ko. Same with Franklin. This is something absent from the raw manipulation of aura although it may very well happen to inherit meaning of its own i.e. Uvogin's Big Bang Impact which is presumably just Ko. This is added to the fact that the user typically elects to use Ko in circumstances when he feels that he is absolutely certain to score a direct hit (c.f. Gon) reducing the risk-reward-dynamic/resolve.
    You're not going to get an equally powerful tech as Ko with less risk or this violates the whole concept of how a Hatsu has to be balanced with its conditions. Also, it'd mean anyone who uses Ko is just flat out insane for attempting such a dangerous technique when there are safer alternatives that are just as powerful. But when dealing with Reinforcement users, Ko is overkill. It's overkill in the same way Chain Jail (whose requirement is actually a bit lower than Ko) is overkill because you can get say paralyzing chains for far less risk, and functionally there's no real difference between a nearly indestructible chain that forces Zetsu, versus a normal chain that just forces paralysis.

    Only Feitan has shown how to use Ko in a relatively safe situation (he's clearly not expecting his opponent to take a Ko head on). Gon gets out of it with plot bailouts, though because it takes more plot bailout he eventually switches to a technique that requires less plot bailout, as janken does not have the 'you die if anyone hits you' implicit restriction, and because getting hit while using janken doesn't get you killed there's no way this technique can be as strong as Ko. Well, there is a time delay aspect, and depending on how you interpret it, that could be a significant or irrelevent restriction, though the manga leans it more toward the restriction being irrelevent. For example, against Knuckles he was able to use it twice in a row (paper then rock) in a very short time, so it seems like Gon can ignore this restriction whenever he feels like it, so it must not be very important.

New Reply
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts