Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Collective Reading of Yokohama Kaidaishi Kikou

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collective Reading of Yokohama Kaidaishi Kikou

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    At first I thought the owner didn't want Alpha anymore, and that's why he left. It turns out that he's still willing to keep in touch with her so I wonder why he didn't bring her along with him. It's nice to know that she has a "sister" out there who is a robot like her.

I'm impressed by how human Alpha seems in her everyday interactions with people around her. They don't treat her differently, and she doesn't seem to feel out of place amongst them.
    I don't think that the owner didn't want Alpha anymore and because this he left her. My theory is that the owner left Alpha because he wanted that Alpha learn and live alone, with only her experiences, without the influence of him. It is notable that the owner have great affection for Alpha with his letter and the gift.

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    My idea is that she worries about looking human when she is with humans, but when she meets alpha she ends saying something like: "since you're also a robot like me, I dont have to worry about that; can I visit you from time to time?". I wonder why she worries about that; and also, from my point of view I couldn't tell they are robots if they didn't say it explicitly. So I hope we learn more about them in the following chapters.
    I get it now. It is highly probably that was exactly this what she meant. I hope learn more about them too.

You make a good point there. I wrote above about the lesson given by sensei/the doctor (did you notice it?). But you make me see that that lesson has some relation with the fact that Alpha is using the camera to capture those special moments and also to remember. As if memory and time were two important ideas in the story.
    I read it now. I think that sensei/the doctor lesson is that we can't back to the past, so we have to guard the memories of how it was and live from now on seeing what changed and remember this too.

I also enjoyed that much. This author is really powerful in drawing emotions. Those faces are really funny and very expressive. Now, if you feel an intensive pain, you senses lost much of their capability to feel the reality. How you draw something like that? This guy drew it in the middle-left panel of this page:

Spoiler show

Isn't that great?

and how about this face of alpha and her nightmare about being taught with the tongue method about how to digest meat?

Spoiler show
    Of course. The author has great ability in draw expressions that I never saw before and it let all much richer.
    I am enjoying that piece each time more. ^^

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leoat12 View Post
    I read it now. I think that sensei/the doctor lesson is that we can't back to the past, so we have to guard the memories of how it was and live from now on seeing what changed and remember this too.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice" Heraclitus....

Or "Every moment is unique" Ukimix

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

"No man ever steps in the same river twice" Heraclitus....

Or "Every moment is unique" Ukimix
    To summarize everything. hahaha
    I agree with you above that memory and time will be important for the story and this strengthens my theory about the owner intentions.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    One of my favourite chapter of volume 2 is the camera one. In particular because I had some similar though during my last holiday. When you try to take a picture, you don't see the scenery the same way, you are thinking about the picture and not really what is in front of you and it's as if you miss something.
    Have you read Position, by the same mangaka? If you don't, then you should read it. I bet 9 to 1 you would really like it. :-)
    Warning: Don't read mangaupdates neither batoto's introductory note. They just spoil some chapter.
    Last edited by ukimix; July 02, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Position was fantastic! Loved the chapter with the fog. The author's ability to show nature's beauty really shines through there.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    Wow, Position was fantastic! Loved the chapter with the fog. The author's ability to show nature's beauty really shines through there.
    Yes, and it seems to have a lot of connections with YKK, and also with Kumabashi no Koto, a short oneshot by Ashinano-sensei (have you read it?). All of them seems to share signs, images, concepts. I really liked chapter 7 of Position and the idea around the photograph expressed on it. Also I find the red hair girl of the first chapter, that old man from Kumabashi no koto, and Misago from YKK being somehow alike. Like if it were all about certain magic of everyday life. (Trying to write with out spoiling).
    Last edited by ukimix; July 02, 2013 at 11:12 AM.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The owner could be a candidate for worst villain award if he doesn't want Alpha anymore :-)

As for the human side of them, I wonder why Kokone worries about looking human enough to the others.
    That's true. Maybe the owner wants her to be independent and interact with the villagers/town people on her own. If she's with the owner, she would always see herself as a robot, but if she's by herself, perhaps she won't feel too different from them.

Me too. Kokone seems younger than Alpha so perhaps she's not quite used to being around humans yet.

I don't think that the owner didn't want Alpha anymore and because this he left her. My theory is that the owner left Alpha because he wanted that Alpha learn and live alone, with only her experiences, without the influence of him. It is notable that the owner have great affection for Alpha with his letter and the gift.
    I agree. He still thinks of her as evidenced by the letter and camera, but it seems like he wants her to mature and figure out who she is on her own.

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Some notes on volume 3

Kokone’s letter (story 18) is interesting. As she says, they seem to have a robotic part and also a human part. This one is a part that she has been able to develop thanks to her meeting with Alpha. I wonder why the owner created them with the need or the sense of “try to be human”. Possibly it’s something they can develop only with the time and with some experiences. Story 21 let us know that Alpha can forget her memories, something that a computer can't do. And I guess the owner's gift, the camera, was made to help Alpha with it, and to preserve those memories she remember fondly. Like if the owner would want to keep their robots as beings of care.

Kokone seems to live alone. That’s interesting too; the owner seems to design beautiful robots that can be taken as humans (or not), and that can live in the next door, (he leaves them behind). I see in that a common feature that appears in other stories of Ashinano. For instance, you can take the first story of Position or the one shot Kumabashi no Koto. In all of them, ordinary humans, in their everyday life have to face with the possibility to find something extraordinary, something magical; and in all of them humans react like if that extraordinary possibility were in some sense something ordinary or current. Same can be said, for instance, about the meeting of Misago and Takahiro, and also of the God Water of story 21, or the Tarpon of story 20. All those magical beings are Ashinano’s bestiary, like the signs of a language the author uses in all of his four beautiful comics so far.

People who fly all the time

Position 7th chapter is a must read now. And, if you have the time, it would be really great if you read Kabu no Isaki. The connections between all of them are just fantastic, and if you haven't do it, I would like to encourage you to read them.

Spoiler: about some connection between YKK and Position show

Spoiler: about some connection between YKK and Kabu no Isaki show

People who fly all the time… that’s just beautiful. I interpret it like, to be free all the time and to be able to flow in the act of being free. A dragonfly is capable to fly without going to a destination; in other words a dragonfly can fly without a practical destination. That is the sense of to be free in the act of flying or the sense of to be able to flow in the act of being free. (The idea of people who fly all the time is also portrayed in the short one-shot Kumabashi no Koto.)

The same idea appears in story 22: … the streetlights shone without any practical purpose… That would be like to shine without any objective in mind, or to shine only for the shinning itself. Or, more general, to be without any practical purpose, but to be thoroughly and to the fullest. That’s to flow in the act of be free…

And also, story 17 revolves around the same idea, when Kokone and Alpha just let themselves be taken by the music and start to hum:
    The music is the wind,
    The humming is the flight
    The singer is the pilot
    And the freedom is the same in both cases…
    Improvisation in jazz can be another example of the capability to flow in the act of being free.

About this page I just wonder:
    Spoiler show

What is the magic with this author drawings? It simply just captivates you, and you can’t say how that happened…!

What a powerful comic is this one…!!!! Just a masterpiece of all types of literature.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes the chapter were the Tarpon appears is really nice. What can be this bird shape plane that appear regularly in the sky ?
    It also shows another trait of Alpha character. She really wish to know people more even if those ones may not share her enthousiasm :-)
    I guess being alone most of the day is not that easy.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to discuss if you people agree on reading 2 volumes per week. Talking about enthusiasm the story just got me, and I would like to advance a bit faster.

---------- Post added July 08, 2013 at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was July 07, 2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

Ok, guys, I will keep posting according to the agreed schedule.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Late again, I am too busy right now then I am reading it slower than I wished. However, it is enjoyable as always. =D
    1 volume per week is good yet. XD
    I will read the posts above later.

Chapter 16 was a refreshing one. It had great expressions of hapiness in this chapter and the visit of Kokone was very enjoyable even for us who were reading. In the begin of the chapter seemed like that would be a normal day as either one but suddenly it was a "busy day".

A sample of expressions again, this chapter was beautiful with two double pages. It's the second time where there is a chapter where someone comments about Alpha's music and this is always mysterious, almost hypnotic. I have a idea that one thing that mangas can't portrays very well is music but Yokohama is being a exception, even without any note the author can trasmit the feeling of the music greatly.
    Now I hope one chapter where Alpha describe her own music, this would be interesting.

Beginning with the final, Kokone was almost a philosopher with her deep thinking. Alpha never thought about all this judging by her face. hahha
    With this chapter we can conclude that Kokeno actually have concerns about her human side, her meet with Alpha moved her and make her find her own humanity. In the scene where Kokone was studying about Alpha's model we can say that Alpha is even unique between her equals. Alpha is unique in all aspects, human or robot and I want to know more and more about her.

Chapter 19 was a occasional meeting. I didn't remember who is the men until I see the fish, probably the fish left me a memory deeper. Alpha is friendly with everyone, even with unknown. This chapter have a bond with the next where we found out one more mystery, the airplane that is ever flying. I wonder if we will know more about it, and with this we can supose that Ayase likes much of mysteries, with Misago and now the airplane. He is a mysterious person and I hope more about him too.
    Also, I guess Alpha thank everyone because she is grateful for each experience that she pass through with everyone, as Ayase said, this make part of her personality.

Finally, I have to ask what you felt about the last page of chapter 20? What these phrases mean for you? I felt that it is more meanings than looked like but I can't explain...

I am almost concluding that this volume has mysteries of the world as its main plot and again Ayase shows up. That "statue" is intriguing, it has brain waves and all and live for ages or maybe centuries. Seems like that Misago is also eternal, there isn't any way to explain all these mysteries and creatures and it only makes me more curious. I don’t know what to say right about these chapters, mysteries are mysteries. hahaha

Chapter 22 was so beautiful, I guess prettier than all. That was better chapter in expressions too when Alpha saw the streetlights and she cried as if could feel the memories of people that lived there. Memories again had a deep meaning in this chapter and the fact of the doctor is there have a relation with her lesson back then, I guess.

Misago really like of Takahiro. haha
    She don't stop of think him but I hope that Misago meet Alpha one day, it will be nice. Chapters with Misago are always enjoyable, great way to finish the volume. ^^

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

A sample of expressions again, this chapter was beautiful with two double pages. It's the second time where there is a chapter where someone comments about Alpha's music and this is always mysterious, almost hypnotic. I have a idea that one thing that mangas can't portrays very well is music but Yokohama is being a exception, even without any note the author can trasmit the feeling of the music greatly.
    Now I hope one chapter where Alpha describe her own music, this would be interesting.
    Sure it would be. I wonder how does it sound a Gekki. Above I posted some links to one of YKK soundtrack (from the anime).

Quote Quote:
    Beginning with the final, Kokone was almost a philosopher with her deep thinking. Alpha never thought about all this judging by her face. hahha
    With this chapter we can conclude that Kokeno actually have concerns about her human side, her meet with Alpha moved her and make her find her own humanity. In the scene where Kokone was studying about Alpha's model we can say that Alpha is even unique between her equals. Alpha is unique in all aspects, human or robot and I want to know more and more about her.
    Possibly their human side are different on each case; every model develops that side in her own way. I wonder if there are more models. The idea of something like industrial production of those lovely models crossed my mind, and I thought that it will be much better if those models are very few.

Quote Quote:
    Finally, I have to ask what you felt about the last page of chapter 20? What these phrases mean for you? I felt that it is more meanings than looked like but I can't explain...
    I can see how the reading of similar ideas in the other works of Ashinano, helped me to interpret that page. But still, I think only in YKK is something very well accomplished by him. I see an analogic relation between what Alpha says in that page and what happens to her and to Kokone when they were humming and Alpha was playing the Gekki, in story 17. In story 17 is about to be free making music, in story 20 is about to be free flying; both are metaphors of freedom. (Kabu no Isaki is about that idea - link in my sig). I wrote some ideas about it in my previous post.

Quote Quote:
    I am almost concluding that this volume has mysteries of the world as its main plot and again Ayase shows up. That "statue" is intriguing, it has brain waves and all and live for ages or maybe centuries. Seems like that Misago is also eternal, there isn't any way to explain all these mysteries and creatures and it only makes me more curious. I don’t know what to say right about these chapters, mysteries are mysteries. hahaha
    Totally agree. This manga is full of magical and mysterious creatures. And what impresses me the most is that, in some sense, they simply are part of everyday life of normal people. It's like magic harmonically mixed with everyday life...

About the pace, I agree one volume per week is ok.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Some notes on volume 3

Kokone’s letter (story 18) is interesting. As she says, they seem to have a robotic part and also a human part. This one is a part that she has been able to develop thanks to her meeting with Alpha. I wonder why the owner created them with the need or the sense of “try to be human”. Possibly it’s something they can develop only with the time and with some experiences. Story 21 let us know that Alpha can forget her memories, something that a computer can't do. And I guess the owner's gift, the camera, was made to help Alpha with it, and to preserve those memories she remember fondly. Like if the owner would want to keep their robots as beings of care.
    Reading your post right now I wonder if there is a robot as Alpha and Kokone that did not develop that sense of being human, because of this I want to see some robot with this characteristic.
    Memories and experiences that join their robot and human side, I think that that is the main point of the story and what the purpose of all this that only the owner know. With all this mysteries, the biggest is the owner.I agree with all the rest of the post. I don't have anything to say. hahaha Seriously, great post. ^^

Possibly their human side are different on each case; every model develops that side in her own way. I wonder if there are more models. The idea of something like industrial production of those lovely models crossed my mind, and I thought that it will be much better if those models are very few.
    I agree but I don't think that have a large production of them, it more probable that the owner built all them by him own but it's became famous even so. I believe in this because their strongest bond with the owner. Also, I guess that Alpha and Kokone was built in different times being Alpha the oldest judging by your name that commonly is associated with the beggining of something. This explain the fact of Kokone learn with Alpha, too.
    That said, as I said above I want to see a robot like Alpha and Kokone that didn't develop that sense of humanity, I want to see the other side of all this, one that "failed" at owner's proposition.

Quote Quote:
    Totally agree. This manga is full of magical and mysterious creatures. And what impresses me the most is that, in some sense, they simply are part of everyday life of normal people. It's like magic harmonically mixed with everyday life...
    Yes, that is the part of your post that I liked much. The harmony between everyday life and this magical and mysterious environment has total meaning, after all, the futuristic scenario is mysterious by itself enabling the creation of these mysteries.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ey people! Here my notes on volume 4

Wow, this 4th volume brought many revelations, and also raised many new questions. The most interesting character to me, right now, is the owner; and I feel myself like if I were in a journey traveling to a meeting to know him. That reminds me of other novel I have read with that kind of structure: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Only that YKK doesn’t seem to be too much centred on the owner, neither he seems to be an evil guy.

So, after all, there is mass production of robots like Alpha and Kokone. The question to me is what is the role of those robots in the world of YKK? I coulnd’t ask: “what are they used for?”, because, they seems to be much more than things, they have feelings, self-esteem, even vanity, and can worry about and be supportive of others. But everybody feels nice in company of them. And in sensei’s reflection we can see very much about the attitude of this world towards them. To sum it up, I would say, the world treats this robots like humans. And they worries about to look like humans, but also about to be themselves, as we could see in Kokone’s chapters from the previous volume. Also Now, we could see that robot in the Tarkon would like to wish all her brothers ans sisters good luck. Luck on what? Judging for what we have seen, that must be luck in giving their own live some sense. Which is a very human worry.

They were created with freewill, and it’s consistent with that objective that the owner and the sensei just let Alpha to live her life and to grow using her freewill. They created a bird, and then let it freely fly around…. I suppose she doesn't need much money to the everyday stuffs, and just some little maintenance. And she seems to spend the days in having good times, according with what it is for her to have good times, i.e, according with what she learns and some of her original specifications. As sensei says: she follows along certain path herself, and I would like if she creates that path she follows.

Solitude seems to be a common feeling among the robots. I have feel it a bit in the lonely Cafe-Alpha, and also in Kokone’s happiness in finding Alpha. Now, it seemed to me that was the main feeling portrayed in the chapter about the robot on board of the Tarpon. She would like to meet her sisters and brothers.

Again I find enjoyable every little detail in the volume. The Tarpon, and the advanced robot in it. The interaction between Makki and Takahiro; the bath scene with Takahiro and Alpha.

Finally I like the fact that the author uses different perspectives in the narration of the story. Narrators have been Alpha, Ojisan, Takahiro, Kokone, Sensei, etc… And in this volume we also find a chapter narrated not only with the voice of a visitor, but also physically viewed from his eyes. I haven’t seen that before in any comic. (Does someone know some comic with that kind of narrative?) Any idea about who was this mysterious customer? I remember some other character choosing cafe au lait in some previous chapter, but couldn't find it, so I'm not sure we have seen him before.

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

My impressions about volume 4 are here too, finally. XD
    I will read the post above later. =D

This chapter was simple, Takahiro met Kokone for the first time, but it didn't have a conversation between them, but seems like that Takahiro liked her immediatly and already have heard about her from Alpha. I guess that they will get along.
    Futhermore, I liked Makki, she seems like energetic, she is the second child in the manga, so I am curious about a encounter between her and Alpha.

Chapter 25 was pretty with the swimming of those two and again we have good expressions and feelings. However, that the most intrigued me was the thinking of Kokone about the sea. I am almost right that she tlaking about the sea, but I doen't have certain. What are your thoughts about this passage?
    She talked about lonely and other things that I didn't understand much...

What was this chapter 26? Suddenly we have scenes of within that airplane and I didn't understand the transition of frames. That character was Alpha in the past or other person called Alpha? What do you think about this?

Aside of the beautiful color pages, principally the first one, this chapter was interesting because of the expression of those two in the final page and what Alpha said. They are now forever linked. This was already a little evident, but in this chapter that feeling was strong.

With chapter 28 we can conclude that Alpha is really unique, the doctor feels that, too. I am surprised how the construction of Alpha model started, is this really interesting but still superficial, I hope more informations about this later.
    There is any chance that the owner was in this test?

Chapter 29 was typically a slice of life chapter, it was funny with Takahiro dreams and Makki. Waiting for the meeting between her and Alpha.

The question in the chapter 30 is: Who is the person that came in the shop? I have only one certainly, he/she isn't the owner by his/her way of talk. Seems like that he/she already knew Alpha... One more mystery to put in the list. XD
    Furthermore, I liked very much of the he/she commentaries. I guess I would feel of the same way about Alpha.

Takahiro and Alpha are so connected, the relationship between them is the strongest in the manga. See Takahiro ashamed while taking bath with Alpha make us see that Takahiro really treat Alpha as a human, a women, not a robot. Makki delays her encounter with Alpha as much as possible seems, I dunno what is her intentions with this, maybe I am creating much expectation by this meet, but I anxious in a way that I can't explain...

24. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast