Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Compilation of the true history and facts about giants

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Compilation of the true history and facts about giants

Ahh, the herring thing is already there. I hadn't given any thought to the fact that herring is a saltwater fish though. Honestly, technically neither ymir or reyner should know what herring even is.

The castle could be from before the time of the giants though, basically the food could be 100 years old. The walls were built without most of the people seeing but at large someone must have been involved with that. That said, the fact that ymir knows what herring is is extremely relevant. It does suggest that her own home could be near the sea and so could reyner's.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

A good enough wine can easily be stored for 100 years. I'm pretty sure I have heard of older bottles than that being collected in rich people's cellars. (Once you open it you have to drink it all, though.) Herring (although I'm sure they're specifically sardines in this case) can be expected to last a long time as well. Until we learn more I'm continuing to assume these are Old World foods that were collected before the ocean voyage to the New World. (Especially considering the cans might be fine OR might be expired for all we know.)

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe whoever built the walls made sure plenty of food was there waiting for the refugees to have something to feed on. Or maybe the escaping humans brought plenty of canned food aboard their ships when sailing to the promised land.

Either would explain why people know what herring is without actually having ever seen the ocean.

What I find also intriguing is how they are perfectly fine with the notion of canned food altogether. They are not surprised at all by sealed cans containing ratios (ie, they don't say "woah, this is something from before the Titans attacked" or "wtf is this" or anything along those line). Meaning the people from inside the wall can produce canned food (or have HUGE supplies of it).

Which is ludicrous, as canning food for long-term storing is a highly advanced process which requires both raw materials (Tin/Aluminium) AND lots of power (making tin foils and molding them in shape is a very power-hungry process). This is much higher tech that the one required for the rudimentary firearms and explosives they use.

Yeah I know SnK isn't really serious about keeping technology consistent with what technology level the population could possibly sustain (pressurized gas being another serious offender). It's still fine being it steam-punk and all, but I found this quite amusing.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, wikipedia would suggest the process for canning food was invented in the early 1800s, a point in which our technology was arguably inferior or comparable to that of SnK world. The space within the walls is huge and it was already said it was rich in resources so I don't think them having aluminum is that weird.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aldrich's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    A good enough wine can easily be stored for 100 years. I'm pretty sure I have heard of older bottles than that being collected in rich people's cellars. (Once you open it you have to drink it all, though.) Herring (although I'm sure they're specifically sardines in this case) can be expected to last a long time as well. Until we learn more I'm continuing to assume these are Old World foods that were collected before the ocean voyage to the New World. (Especially considering the cans might be fine OR might be expired for all we know.)
    Yeah I'm pretty sure canned food doesn't last for a hundred year.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrich View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty sure canned food doesn't last for a hundred year.
    You're never going to see a can with a 100 year expiration date on it but that doesn't mean such foods can't last. It has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by FDA Consumer magazine
    The steamboat Bertrand was heavily laden with provisions when it set out on
    the Missouri River in 1865, destined for the gold mining camps in Fort
    Benton, Mont. The boat snagged and swamped under the weight, sinking to the
    bottom of the river. It was found a century later, under 30 feet of silt a
    little north of Omaha, Neb.

Among the canned food items retrieved from the Bertrand in 1968 were brandied
    peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetables. In 1974,
    chemists at the National Food Processors Association (NFPA) analyzed the
    products for bacterial contamination and nutrient value. Although the food
    had lost its fresh smell and appearance, the NFPA chemists detected no
    microbial growth and determined that the foods were as safe to eat as they
    had been when canned more than 100 years earlier
    source: http://web.archive.org/web/200705091.../CON00043.html (archived on The Wayback Machine)

Also, strangely enough high-protein foods like meat last the longest when canned so fish could theoretically outlast even those veggies/fruit/shellfish.

Quote Originally Posted by mealtime.org
    We don't recommend keeping canned food for 100 years, but if the can is intact, it is edible. Rust or dents do not affect the contents of the can as long as the can does not leak. If the can is leaking, however, or if the ends are bulged, the food should not be used.
    source: http://www.mealtime.org/about-us/faqs/

I'm not advocating people try old canned foods (assuming they can even get their hands on them) in the real world, but it's entirely plausible in a fictional story for such exceptional circumstances to be reproduced. The can in the manga looked to be in fine shape so it may be expired, it may not. We don't know one way or another.
    Last edited by kannazuki; June 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

@kannazuki
    Small comment here. Isn't it usually like, if they call it herring it's gotta be herring, but if they called it sardines it could be herring?

Also about the technology involved (canned food etc,) I've written my thoughts on this in the other thread so I'll just paste the same thing here since it's pretty related, do tell me if this insight sounds valid or not:

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune
    For their technological advancement, I think the most promising piece of evidence would be the use of compressed gas in canisters (for 3D maneuvering.) In our real world, the concept of pressurised liquids stored in cans date from the late 1700s/ early 1800s, when they tried to invent carbonated drinks. However, compressing gas involves a leap in technology, since compressing gas into containers under high pressure is much more dangerous. It took about 100 years to take away much of the risk when dealing with pressure vessels.

The second piece of invention that is outstanding is canned food (shown as canned herring.) This concept also dates back to the late 1700s/ early 1800s, although they used glass jars to begin with. They then involved tin cans, but it wasn't for another 100 years or so before they perfected the canning technique.

I can safely say the current technology in SnK Universe is at least early 20th century real world standard, but since the two aforementioned inventions look so refined, I can probably add about 50 years to the count. I do notice the lack of technology involving electricity for the general public, but given the situation it is most likely impossible to get enough energy around the town. Maintaining power plants, utility poles for overhead power lines and the likes are probably not an effective investment. Since the general public does not benefit from electrical technology, it is natural that it doesn't get developed.

Whether it is due to a lack of fuel/resources or simply being a non-necessity, cars/trains that should have been developed seem to be non-existent on the SnK timeline. Since their physics seem to agree with our real world, so I'm quite certain it will develop similar technology after this Titan crisis.

My conclusion is, if they know how to mass-produce (which they can, with the canned food, 3DMG, gas cans, rifles) they're actually pretty technologically advanced, in spite of the crisis they are in.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we're in front of an "anything goes" scenario. It's always like this with most fantasy stories, especially when steam-punk is involved. So I don't really expect much consistency regarding technology in SnK.

Actually, regarding the 3DM equipment specifically, I would really like to be able to get my hands on a translated copy of the 1st Light Novel, since it's focused on how exactly that was invented.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

DOnt know how I missed this one
    Ymir says she died at some point.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Cuba
    Post Thanks / Like

-Titans are able to feel pain but the expression of pain varies from individual to individual. (Taken from Sawney and Bean)
    -"Mindless," Titans are able to understand parts of human language, including insults. (evidence taken from Titan's reaction to Ilse telling him to get lose from the world, as well as Mitabi squad http://www.mangapanda.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/11/19)

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I will add the pain part.

However the understanding insults part is highly questionable and the manga did not outright stated it. I would think the understanding insults part would be more theory than fact at this point.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Cuba
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd add it because it occurred twice in two seperate instances.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Huesoman's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the titans react not to the insults but to the shouting, so they were aware that humans were near and proceed to pursue them. I don't think they understand any word from humans to be honest.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, the titans reacting specifically to insults is far cry from what we know. The point of the thread is to compile facts. Interpretation or theories based on those facts are a different issue which can be discussed here. The only fact we can derive from those panels is that titans are able to hear which is not much to be honest.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I will add the pain part.

However the understanding insults part is highly questionable and the manga did not outright stated it. I would think the understanding insults part would be more theory than fact at this point.
    I think you should take their class in account for their reactions to pain and at night.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast