Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Greek and Norse Mythology: hints at SnK's plot?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Greek and Norse Mythology: hints at SnK's plot?

Giants - Titan - German surnames all over the place - Castle-Utgard - Ymir - you name it

It's pretty evident Isayama draws a lot from this kind of stuff. I'm going to list as many references/similarities as I can, hopefully this might help us with finding out about Isayama's sources of inspiration and hopefully achieving a better understanding of his manga in the process.

Some of this influences are pretty much common knowledge, but as I researched the topic I've found quite some interesting and surprising facts. The way I see this, similarities between things in SnK and bits from various Mythologies are so evident (once you find those) that they can hardly be the result of sheer luck and coincidence alone.

Feel free to contribute your own thoughts and findings, discuss, throw theories around, w/e. I'll add relevant stuff to the OP as I have the time.

Worst case scenario: this will lead us nowhere, but we will have learnt some cool shit along the way

Thanks to the following people who contributed to the info contained in this list: Beatrice.
    Also big props to Utsune, kkck and other contributors for their amazing work. It proved to be greatly useful with finding stuff in the manga.

List of Documented Evidence of Greek/Norse Mythology influences in SnK
    Spoiler show

Reference material (mainly wikipedia excerpts) about Greek and Norse Mitology in the following post.
    Last edited by Bandreus; June 26, 2013 at 04:57 AM.

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Greek and Norse Mythology: hints at SnK's plot?

Relevant info from Greek Mythology

Spoiler: Quick Facts show

Spoiler: Titans show

Spoiler: Cronus (Titan) show

Relevant info from Norse Mythology

Spoiler: Ymir show

Spoiler: Jötnar show
    Last edited by Bandreus; June 26, 2013 at 04:10 AM.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Armin mentioned the Ice and Fire he and Eren wanna see.Niflheim and Muspelheim.

Midgard and Utgard, we've been at solely those two sofar.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Beatrice, those depictions are awesome, thank you so much! I'll make sure to incorporate those as I add more stuff about Norse Mythology.

In the meantime I added info about the the Jötnar from Norse Mythology and lots of pretty evident references regarding Titans in SnK.

I think this is already shaping up to be a pretty rich resource for people who want to know a bit more about how Mythology fits into various aspects of the manga.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Quote Quote:
    Armin mentioned the Ice and Fire he and Eren wanna see.Niflheim and Muspelheim.
    You're talking about the one time Armin was showing his geography book to Eren right? I'm not sure what this might mean, I kind of thought he was fascinated by deserts and glaciers (being born inside the wall, he never experienced anything outside of it, let alone such exotic locations), but this is a pretty interesting take on it. I never thought that could be some indirect reference to the worlds from Nore Myths.

Quote Quote:
    Midgard and Utgard, we've been at solely those two sofar.
    Yes, we've been to Utgard, I'll edit info for it later. But what do you mean with Midgard? Was a place named after Midgard ever showed in the manga thus far, or are you thinking about anything else?

Great points btw!

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Scuse me for bumping this back up but I think I stumbled upon something.

In the lands where the Giants rule lies Glaesisvellir.
    Everyone who lives or even was there has eternal youth and no one ever dies there and it is referred to as "Warriors Paradise"

In that place lives Gudmund, a Giant with human and animalistic traits who is in connection with the wandering army of the dead and is seen as a God of fertility but also as a demon bringing death wherever he goes.

Gudmund is said to battle Sinfjotli one of King Völsungs 10 Battling Sons.
    Last edited by Beatrice; September 05, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always suspected that there might be multiple 'worlds' or 'dimensions' in SnK ever since Reiner asked Ymir 'Do you think this world has a future?' and also because there are multiple worlds in Norse mythology.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DarkLordOfKichiku's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dustofoblivion View Post
    I've always suspected that there might be multiple 'worlds' or 'dimensions' in SnK ever since Reiner asked Ymir 'Do you think this world has a future?' and also because there are multiple worlds in Norse mythology.
    So when R & B were fleeing with Eren, they were going to Muspelheim, Niflheim or Jötunheim? XD . Well, I'd bet on it being Muspelheim, considering R & B - as well as most of the titans we've seen seen to be of the "Fire Giant" kind (strong in the sun but weak when there's no sun), except for those the Ape Titan commanded (which'd make them the Frost Giant kind?)... Makes you wonder which sort Eren is, if any - he could apparently transform underground without any trouble (except for his determination, that's it <_<), whereas Annie may have been "afraid" of going underground because it'd rob her of the sunlight she needs to transform...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ImmortalZodd's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    In the lands where the Giants rule lies Glaesisvellir.
    Everyone who lives or even was there has eternal youth and no one ever dies there and it is referred to as "Warriors Paradise"

In that place lives Gudmund, a Giant with human and animalistic traits who is in connection with the wandering army of the dead and is seen as a God of fertility but also as a demon bringing death wherever he goes.

Gudmund is said to battle Sinfjotli one of King Völsungs 10 Battling Sons.
    So Glaesisvellir would be RBA's hometown?
    Gudmund is the ape titan?
    Wiki says that Sinfjotli was born out of incest(bro-sis), maybe it's a son of MikasaxEren xD

New Reply