Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2) , Gintama 511 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: The Titan serum

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The Titan serum

The adaptation of the Trost battle reminded me some things and I have a theory about the titan serum.

I think it's a drug which permits become a titan-shifter but has a secondary effect which makes you dreaming.

When Eren used his titan powers for the first time, he was dreaming about titan slaughtering(one of his fondest dreams), the second time he was unconscious and was dreaming about his family(with his mother still alive). We can interpret that Eren wanted to live a peaceful live with his family but the titans were an hindrance, it's probably one of the reason why compared to the 2 others MC, he was acting like a jerk who didn't care about his family.

Now, why did Grisha use this serum on Eren? Because he knew Eren is the human who wants to kill titans the most( he represents all the hatred of the humans), so he would have obviously killed titans in a battle. And some clever humans(like Armin) would have tried to use him as a weapon.

In fact, it's because he wants to eradicate the titans so much that he has been sparred by the Legion. Another titan-shifter would have probably acted like Eren during his 2nd transformation( going berserk and killing anything that moves while making a peaceful dream).

The serum functions like this:

1-Dreams motivated by hatred and destruction-> The titan destroys what his user wants.
    2-Peaceful dreams-> The titan destroys everything.

So, when the titan-shifter abuses of his power...he confuses his dreams with the reality. It would mean that
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by Demonspeed; June 25, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Titan serum

Well, since we know nothing about the serum and how exactly the Titan transformation works, this might as well be how things stand. The the drug also add a tertiary effect with causing him memory losses I guess (though it's not clear which memories he actually lost, aside from the memory of his father injecting the drug itself).

Anyway, I see a few issues with the theory.

For instance, when Eren transformed for the first time, he wasn't really dreaming at all. It's just that he was left unconscious at the end of the fight and, once being awaken, he was thought he just had a dream. The "dream" was so fond because, you know, it wasn't a dream but the actuall thing.

I think that whole episode is a bit misleading because 1) before transforming, he had just been swallowed by a titan 2) In that scene, Isayama depicted Eren like he was just waking up from a relaxing nap 3) It was the very first time ever Eren experienced his transformation, so it's pretty understandable he didn't even realize what was going on.

After all, a human being able to transform into a Titan was unheard before that very moment, so it's no wonder even Eren didn't believe people who accused him of doing such a thing "What are you saying? Man you oughta be kidding me! There's no way I could have transformed into a Titan. I'm a human, TOTALLY!!!". He believed it was a dream because his brain couldn't even fathom such a possibility, in fact it took him quite a while to realize it how things really stood.

Want further proof? In this panel you see Eren as he just transformed into a Titan. See how je's looking at his own hand? See the brief jaws-dropping, almost shocked expression he's has stamped on his face? You can tell Eren what Eren gotta be thinking in that very moment "Wait, WTF just happened? Why am I so big all of a sudden? Wait, am I a Titan? Man this dream is AWESOME I WANNA KILL TITAAAAAAANS".

So nope, by re-reading that chapter I can definitely tell Eren wasn't actually dreaming at all during his first transformation, although at first glance it might seem otherwise.

Regarding Eren going berserk, I guess you could say he was dreaming, in a way. It looks to me more like he was in some sort of drifting in a coma-like dream, like his Titan form took control of his body, while his mind was left sailing the depths of his inner-self. So more like the "dream" was because of him not being able to handle the transformation, and not the other way around. But yeah, it might as well been just a dream.

Anyway, at some point Hanji kind of gets how the transformation works, at least in part.

Something else I find counter-intuitive is the supposed link between dreams and the amount of control you can have over the transformation.

Quote Quote:
    The serum functions like this:

1-Dreams motivated by hatred and destruction-> The titan destroys what his user wants.
    2-Peaceful dreams-> The titan destroys everything.
    Logically, if dreams had a direct impact on controlling the Titan, I would rather think that the less you're dreams are driven by hatred, the more easily you might be able to be in control. While dreams driven by powerful hate and lust for destruction would lead to an uncontrollable rampage.

See what I mean?

Quote Quote:
    So, when the titan-shifter abuses of his power...he confuses his dreams with the reality. It would mean that
    So why would Eren confusing his peaceful dream with reality make him attack Mikasa, who probably is the person he cares about the most? Now, if instead of going on a rampage he just sit and took a nap, maybe this could have had some sense. Like... I don't think it adds up that much.

As of why exactly Eren went berserk, I'm as clueless as anybody else. I kind of have a theory of mine, but it's more like guessing and speculating on my side rather than anything else.

Spoiler show

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm not convinced either. I've always imagined the "dreams" were depictions of their subconsciousness to us viewers/readers.

But...

Quote Quote:
    So why would Eren confusing his peaceful dream with reality make him attack Mikasa, who probably is the person he cares about the most? Now, if instead of going on a rampage he just sit and took a nap, maybe this could have had some sense. Like... I don't think it adds up that much.
    ...it's not an entirely wrong way of thinking, in retrospect. Hanji hypothesize the transformation is triggered by a "want", or "urge/desire". From what we've seen, it makes sense. The second time he transformed, Eren wasn't exactly confident if he could pull it off and wavered and so he couldn't control himself, and it took Armin to remind him to pull himself together.

A bit out there, but possibly could surmise that if you don't have a strong conviction, that is how you lose yourself and just become a regular fodder titan.

In that regard, it's like the serum is akin to the Falls of Truth (probably a bad comparison and I should probably feel bad...), where if you have a strong purpose you gain power, but if you don't, you lose yourself?
    -

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the theory is a bit of a stretch, mainly with the dreaming part.

Quote Quote:
    I think it's a drug which permits become a titan-shifter but has a secondary effect which makes you dreaming.
    Perhaps not exactly dreaming, specifically, but deep sleep from just straight up exhaustion. After running out of juice in Titan Form, it seems that the person goes into deep sleep mode. Even Annie was seen in this condition after attempting to capture Eren in Forest of Giant Trees.

As for dreaming, that could just be Eren, who initially just hated the Titans is now starting to develop a really creepy maliciously sadistic psyche towards them, catalyzed through turning into a Titan himself. It's like up until he turned into a Titan, he has felt powerless and weak as a human, and now that he's obtained the Titan power, he can start bullying them back, and now that he is empowered to kill Titans fairly easily, he's getting a little over-excited killing them.

Well I could potentially see the story go this direction, there's not that much solid proof
    Last edited by dabrickmaster; June 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Elaborating

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dabrickmaster View Post
    I think the theory is a bit of a stretch, mainly with the dreaming part.

Perhaps not exactly dreaming, specifically, but deep sleep from just straight up exhaustion. After running out of juice in Titan Form, it seems that the person goes into deep sleep mode. Even Annie was seen in this condition after attempting to capture Eren in Forest of Giant Trees.

As for dreaming, that could just be Eren, who initially just hated the Titans is now starting to develop a really creepy maliciously sadistic psyche towards them, catalyzed through turning into a Titan himself. It's like up until he turned into a Titan, he has felt powerless and weak as a human, and now that he's obtained the Titan power, he can start bullying them back, and now that he is empowered to kill Titans fairly easily, he's getting a little over-excited killing them.

Well I could potentially see the story go this direction, there's not that much solid proof
    I agree with you about Eren. It's his hate which permitted him to kill Titans and I don't think any other soldier would have been in the same state as him. They would have been like Eren in his second transformation. It's one of the reason why I think Grisha "weaponized" Eren's hate and determination.
    Spoiler show

However, if it's true that the serum functions as I said I don't see why Eren wouldn't attack Mikasa in his 2nd "dream". Even during his first transformation he was unconscious, he was just a stupid monster like the others, he didn't notice Armin, Mikasa and Conny who were guiding him. His titan was in pilot-mode with only one objective: Kill titans, don't care about the rest. In his second "dream" he didn't know how to properly use his titan power and the titan went berserk. Eren needed to be motivated enough. When his 2 friends where in danger his titan form protected them and after it didn't regenerate, his objective was cleared. After Armin's speech during his second "dream" he was motivated enough and has plunged the rock in the wall. He was also uncertain when Pixis asked his help. It's probably the main reason why he failed.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

New Reply