Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Do You Think He Has A Gear 4?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

2 20.00%
  • No!

5 50.00%
  • Gear 4 & 5!

3 30.00%
New Reply

Thread: Abnormal Use of Gear 2nd/3rd Gear 4!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Vampy's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Yikes Abnormal Use of Gear 2nd/3rd Gear 4!

So after the TS, Luffy no longer turns into a Chibi after using his Gear 3rd. It seems he has completely mastered it.
    He has also began to use his gear 2nd with his arm and less with his legs.

He has started using both gears more than he normally did and has used basic armanent haki along with it and nothing special than just that. He even uses his gear 2nd when it's not even necessary. When he uses it he doesn't use his full strength, just to knock enemies back or for the speed. He uses it as if it's just his basic strength.
    This makes me think that he has something even stronger, an even powerful gear that has his full power.

He trained for 2 years. He has been holding back a lot during the TS. We were lucky to even see him use Red Hawk, I'm quite sure he has a whole lot more techniques. He even used "Snake Shot" which was an electricity technique, which he used against, Hody Jones. He said it wasn't as powerful in the water. Thanks to, Hody's oddly tough body we saw those sweet techniques. His defense was probably his specialty even without the energy steroid.

But my point is, he has another gear which I'm sure of. I guess we can call it Gear 4th?

What do you guys think it will be like?

I can think of these...

-Blows air into all his bones becoming a giant

-Blows air into his muscles and increases his strength even more

-Being able to use Gear 2nd/3rd at the same time without body paralysis
    Last edited by Vampy; June 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM.

Banned 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Abnormal Use of Gear 2nd/3rd Gear 4!

Quote Originally Posted by Vampy View Post
    What do you guys think it will be like?
    I think it would be a Gear Second coated with haki.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
    Sounds nice but that makes me think of, Vergo too much. It wouldn't actually seem original and at the same time it wouldn't help too much with his fights since it's not as strong as it could be, (Says, Luffy).

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds nice but that makes me think of, Vergo too much. It wouldn't actually seem original and at the same time it wouldn't help too much with his fights since it's not as strong as it could be, (Says, Luffy).
    Well, not exactly. What Vergo did was coating himself with only haki . What I am talking about is being in Gear 2 and coating himself with haki after that. Luffy can probably do both: coating himself with only haki and coating himself after being in gear 2 with haki. You can distinguish among the strength of Luffy's three punches: Jet Pistol, Armament Hardening Gomu Gomu no Pistol/Bullet, and Red Hawk.
    They are classified like this, from the weakest to the strongest:
    1. Gomu Gomu no Jet Pistol
    2. Armament Hardening Gomu Gomu no Pistol/Bullet
    3. Red Hawk
    So now you can see the difference.

What are your thoughts about Gear 4?

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, not exactly. What Vergo did was coating himself with only haki . What I am talking about is being in Gear 2 and coating himself with haki after that. Luffy can probably do both: coating himself with only haki and coating himself after being in gear 2 with haki. You can distinguish among the strength of Luffy's three punches: Jet Pistol, Armament Hardening Gomu Gomu no Pistol/Bullet, and Red Hawk.
    They are classified like this, from the weakest to the strongest:
    1. Gomu Gomu no Jet Pistol
    2. Armament Hardening Gomu Gomu no Pistol/Bullet
    3. Red Hawk
    So now you can see the difference.

What are your thoughts about Gear 4?
    Not sure what, Luffy has up his sleve with a gear 4. It has to be something really good since he is constantly using gear 2nd like it's his basic strength. We might see it in his fight with, Doflamingo. It seems like, Law wants to run away like a coward. He's not going to get his way since he's not the real captain here. Luffy, won't leave until, Doflamingo has his ass kicked. I think the best method would be to kill him.
    Hopefully his gear 4th isn't some "Turn Into A Giant" crap...

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what, Luffy has up his sleve with a gear 4. It has to be something really good since he is constantly using gear 2nd like it's his basic strength. We might see it in his fight with, Doflamingo. It seems like, Law wants to run away like a coward. He's not going to get his way since he's not the real captain here. Luffy, won't leave until, Doflamingo has his ass kicked. I think the best method would be to kill him.
    Hopefully his gear 4th isn't some "Turn Into A Giant" crap...
    No, I don't think it would be a giant. I mean if Gear 4 is a giant, what would Gear 5 be?
    When did Law try to run away? Law is a strategist. If such a situation came to be, it simply be to avoid unnecessary fights that would only lead to an undesiredly disadvantageous outcome to his plans. That's smart thinking, not fear. And don't forget that he was very prepared for a fight against Donflamingo. He preserved his strength for a possible situation.
    Quote Quote:
    Luffy, won't leave until, Doflamingo has his ass kicked. I think the best method would be to kill him.
    Wow, death? Defeating him through a combat would be the best method. Why do you find killing him to be the best method? Don"'t forget that Luffy has never killed someone in the past.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I don't think it would be a giant. I mean if Gear 4 is a giant, what would Gear 5 be?
    When did Law try to run away? Law is a strategist. If such a situation came to be, it simply be to avoid unnecessary fights that would only lead to an undesiredly disadvantageous outcome to his plans. That's smart thinking, not fear. And don't forget that he was very prepared for a fight against Donflamingo. He preserved his strength for a possible situation.

Wow, death? Defeating him through a combat would be the best method. Why do you find killing him to be the best method? Don"'t forget that Luffy has never killed someone in the past.
    I never said he would kill him. I said it's the best method. Doflamingo, might become trouble in the future unless he actually gets put in impel down which I don't see unless, Akainu is going to betray the WG. I already know, Luffy doesn't kill anyone.

And if you want to see why, Law would run away read the last page of chapter, 711 and then read 712. He obviously can't get away now even if he tried.
    Last edited by Vampy; June 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I already have an idea that what gear 4 or gear 5 could be. Imagine if Luffy combined Red Hawk with Gear 3. If he did Gomu Gomu no Axe with Gear 2 Armament haki on the way down and then went Gear 3 to make a killer explosion. Or think about Gomu Gomu Bazooka Gear 3 Read hawk. For the sake it'd be sooooo cool he'll call it a new Gear.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gear3rdBlunts View Post
    I already have an idea that what gear 4 or gear 5 could be. Imagine if Luffy combined Red Hawk with Gear 3. If he did Gomu Gomu no Axe with Gear 2 Armament haki on the way down and then went Gear 3 to make a killer explosion. Or think about Gomu Gomu Bazooka Gear 3 Read hawk. For the sake it'd be sooooo cool he'll call it a new Gear.
    Or like what, Nemo said. Coated in Armanent haki but added with him having his entire body with flames and gear 2nd. He'd pretty much be some kind of plasma man.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

-Blows air into all his bones becoming a giant

-Blows air into his muscles and increases his strength even more

-Being able to use Gear 2nd/3rd at the same time without body paralysis
    I've thought of all of these in the past, even took the G2 + Haki a step further to make him be able to do a lot of fire-like attacks such as redhawk, Just pure speculation though.

Probably thought about making this thread 100 times, but i couldn't of thought of gear 2nd or gear 3rd, even though i feel like his gomu gomu powers could be reaching a limit sometimes, im sure oda has thought of all sorts of things.

im sure gear 4 will occur. i had wondered about the giant luffy thing a lot of times.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner A c e's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Gear 2nd = goku's kaioken.

Maybe we'll get to see luffys version is super saiyan soon haha.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A c e View Post

Haha. Yeah, that sounds sweet.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DaoneLuffy's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking lately that Luffy is keeping his power-ups car related. So since he has gears, do u guys think he will ever have a Nitro power soon. Like he would pump both arms and legs at the same time and it would be like a NOS power, quick and extremely strong. Armament Haki then pump everything into a single attack should be able to take out a worn down Yonkou. Just a thought.
    Go get'em Madara!!!!

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

^Wouldn't what you describe be gear 2? It basically does what you say, using a more extreme version would not warrant calling it a new gear.

Dunno about a gear 4 however I do expect luffy to be able to take his gear 3 to a level further than what we have seen. Luffy has already shown ease when using it so he should be able to do more than what he has shown so far. The idea of gear 3 is to get the power of a giant behind his punches so I think that the next step would be to do more than just a limb or two but rather make himself into a giant and one with armored haki at that. It would be like a second level of gear 3 rather than a new gear.

I really can't imagine what could be a new gear for him. Most ideas so far usually revolve around making something which falls into the category of either of his gears into a new gear which I don't think oda will do. Odds are that if luffy ever gets a new gear it would be something intrinsically different from either gear. I liked the idea of vulcanization however it does seem like what we have seen is simply an advanced use of armament haki which is available to everyone. Perhaps it would be an option in the future though and it would be specially effective in conjunction with the advanced armament haki.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

And if you want to see why, Law would run away read the last page of chapter, 711 and then read 712. He obviously can't get away now even if he tried.
    I'll reply to this with a comment a friend of mine wrote:
    Quote Quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    I share my personal reading of it. When Captain Barbosa, from Pirates of the Caribbean 4, is about to begin his first huge fight, he says (spanish version): "Es un buen día para morir". In English: "It's a good day to die". What a quote, don't you think? What a quote for a pirate! I would like to think that is the kind of attitude all major pirates from the NW have. They usually don't fear nothing. Take Law when he gave his heart to Caesar. You have to be very brave to do something like that. In fact he didn't fear nothing, he simply has to get his objective.

Then why DD doesn't want to collide with Kaido? It's just about business and convenience. If he goes for him now possibly he won't get what he wants; now he must be scheming and preparing himself to be, tomorrow, stronger enough to fight Kaido; otherwise it would be stupid to say that he wants to be the Pirate King. And the moment he has the less chance to go for Kaido, he would do it. There no time to fear nothing there.

In short, fear could be a non necessary concept to read the story of Luffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by A c e View Post

The Super Sayan God
    Last edited by NEMO; June 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply